Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Will PS2/PS1 compatibility convince you to get a PS4?

• 50 results
    Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Will PS2/PS1 compatibility convince you to get a PS4? (132 votes)

Yes 43%
    No 57%
     • 
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gah, accidently submitted this without writing my post, sorry guys.

Anyway, there's a rumour making the rounds that Sony are experimenting with introducing compatibility for PS2/PS1 games onto the PS4 via s software patch. If this comes to fruition, I'll be probably getting a PS4, especially since there are indications that this emulation may come about in such a way that makes PS2/PS1 games look a bit less shit on modern televisions. Another part of this rumour is 1080p support for selected titles, not too sure what to make of that. Trying not to get too hyped about this though, only a rumour at the moment.

Edit: Also, this could be my own lack of knowledge about emulation talking, but how could PS2/PS1 games be made to look 'better' when it is still the same disc? Would anyone care to explain?

Edit 2: For those who may be curious, this is the article most other articles are pointing towards. Take it as you will
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133240-Sony-May-Add-Backward-Compatibility-to-the-PS4

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Are we sure this doesn't have anything to do with the streaming of older games?

I assume the software will have to be updated for either option.

If they added it and you needed the game, I would be more interested (I already own one though) but the ability to stream any game from PS1 to PS2 would be amazing. There are hundreds of games on the PS2 I never got to play and would love the chance to without scrounging Ebay and local game shops.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes, BUT only if it's not one of those "on selected titles" thing.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa:

The articles I read about this (mainly on legitimate websites), made a very clear distinction between the PS4 being able to run PS2/PS1 discs and the PS3 game streaming service they plan to introduce for the PS4. If you're an Australian, I would really recommend OzGames as a way to find classic PS2 games new.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Like any other similar additive feature, it won't solely confirm my purchase, but rather add to an increasingly attractive package. The more stuff like this comes along, the more I'm satisfied with my buying a Ps4. Hopefully Playstation Now(Which I'm assuming this to be in reference to) delivers on it's promising potential.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
    deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be more easily sold on the PS4 if it had PS3 disk based game compatibility. No rush to get one right now, let the games pile up for a year or two and then jump in when there's a ton of stuff to play and I can put my PS3 away. If it also had PS1/PS2 disk compatibility I would be really happy.

I have a dream of having a all in one Sony console that plays all Sony disk based games.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@adequatelyprepared: Interesting. Seems like a weird choice but I guess if it adds a feature then why not? I wouldn't mind it because I have a small stack of PS2 games I want to get around to replaying and that would make it easier than plugging the PS2 back in.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Spoonman671

I already have a PS4. And no.

hacksword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I currently have a PS2 hooked up to a TV. A bunch of my favourites have been repurchased and are on my PS3, which is also hooked up to a TV. I don't need a PS4 to run PS1/2 games.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The fact that the PS4 is a thing at all, and a thing that will have Kingdom Hearts III on it, makes me want it by itself.

But alas, I couldn't afford a PS3, so the PS4 looks just as unlikely.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 24

And if Xbox One finally gets backwards compatible, I would consider buying one as well.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

PS2 emulation is good enough at this point that no, I don't really need to care about this.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna be very curious to see if this is actually a thing, if it will have remote play support, ps1/ps2 games are dirt cheap now, being able to remote play the backlog is enticing.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

PS2 emulation is good enough at this point that no, I don't really need to care about this.

Same with PS1 emulation.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zeik

I have a PS4, but whether this is something I will care about will highly depend on how it works and what I can actually play. If it's going to be limited to select titles than I can pretty much guarantee that the vast majority of the games I care about won't be supported. If I can just pop in something like Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne or Xenosaga and have it not look like crap on my HDTV then that would make it the best console ever. Being able to play PS2 games on my HDTV at a decent resolution has been a dream of mine since I got an HDTV.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zeik

@video_game_king said:

@cloudymusic said:

Same with PS1 emulation.

I don't care much about PS1 emulation, as even a sub-par computer can emulate those games almost perfectly nowadays. PS2 games require a much higher end computer than I own though, and the emulation is still not perfect.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@themanwithnoplan said:

Like any other similar additive feature, it won't solely confirm my purchase, but rather add to an increasingly attractive package.

Exactly. Its a cumulative thing.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Yeah, if what you mean is I can shove in my PS1 and PS2 disks into the PS4 and play them, potentially even upscaled. That would be great. I already own a PS4 though. Pretty happy with it as-is but a emulator for PS1 and PS2 built-in would be pretty cool.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By toowalrus

That would add to the reasons I'm already planning to get a ps4. What am I gonna do? NOT play MGSV, destiny, FFXV etc? Those are much more compelling reasons to me.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

What I really what is a Vita TV box that does that.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will be buying a PS4 in the coming weeks/months anyway, but if they added some PS2 support, I'd definitely take advantage of that. There's some games from that era that I haven't been able to play in years and I am ready to break more pairs of rose tinted glasses.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Akyho

That was already a mayjor factor was ps2 replability.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
    Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I was already planning on getting a PS4, but if you can transfer your classic games you got from the PSN when you had a PS3 to the PS4 that would be amazing. Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, and Persona 3: FES would be in my PS4 if this can happen.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already have a PS3. It has PS1 and PS2 game emulation.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Justin258

I have a PC that emulates PS2 games quite well.

However, I don't particularly like to emulate games. I don't have moral qualms with it, but sometimes it requires you to fiddle with settings and options. If a sizable portion of the PS2 library becomes playable on the PS4, then yes, I will be much more likely to buy the console sooner. I was going to get one anyway, but not until the console has a sizable library. I'm still playing a lot of PS2 games, especially JRPG's, so I'd love a machine that can do that well on modern TV's. I've got a PS2 and I'm fine with playing games on it, but after seeing the difference between SMT Nocturne on the PS2 and SMT Nocturne in 1080p on my PC, I always feel like going back to the PS2 is a sub-optimal experience.

In less pretentious market-y words, playing PS2 games on a PS2 is sucking more and more as time goes on.

EDIT: To be perfectly clear, I mean that I will be far more likely to buy a PS4 sooner if I can put my PS2 discs into it and play PS2 games. I do not mean that I will be more likely to buy a PS4 if I'm given the option to play a small selection of PS2 games, or if I'm given the option to re-buy PS2 games from PSN, or if I'm given the option to stream PS2 games with Gaikai or whatever. I'm talking about locally playing PS2 games off of the discs that I own.

@adequatelyprepared said:

Edit: Also, this could be my own lack of knowledge about emulation talking, but how could PS2/PS1 games be made to look 'better' when it is still the same disc? Would anyone care to explain?

The one thing that makes PS2 games look much better when emulated is the higher resolution. Emulators do not add files, they just up-res the game and can inject anti-aliasing, among other nifty little features, which do a lot to make the game clearer, crisper, and easier on the eyes than an actual Playstation 2 can.

Sherlock22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pcsx2 has been so well optimized that at this point almost all the games I've tried run at a really nice quality with little to no configuring, but at the same time there is something about being able to use my PS2 discs on the PS4 that seems like it would be cool. If they can manage to make them remote play compatible with the Vita I would be really pumped for any kind of emulation I could get.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258:

The stuff I read made a clear distinction between the streaming PS3 games on PS4 stuff and being able to straight up put PS2 disks into the PS4 and have them work. I agree with you though, having this specific feature is what will push me over the edge to get a PS4 when Phantom Pain comes out, not any sort of PS Store/Streaming shenanigans. Considering the power of the PS4 and how far emulators have apparently come, it would a smart move on Sony's part to actually do this, especially since it won't be eating into any of their ventures (if they had PS3 backward compatibility, that would eat into PS3 sales, not the case with the PS2. It's unfortunate to state that, but it makes sense for them to not have PS3 compatibility).

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By TobbRobb

My PS3/Vita combo already plays most of that stuff anyways. I'm cool for now.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I convinced myself to buy a PS4 and XBO with pretty much no incentive to do so. So no, I don't really need an incentive to waste money.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I want a PS4. But who cares about the past, time to move on.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33  Edited By Seppli

Already bought into PS4, and I am happy with my purchase. If Sony's bringing software emulation of its PS1 and PS2 library to the platform, I'd be even more happy. Since all my PS2 gamepads are faulty, I've no way to replay Shadow of Rome, which I've been itching to do for a while now. It might also finally give me the opportunity to play Rogue Galaxy, which I've wanted to do forever. Plus anything what broadens the digital marketplace on PS4 is a good thing. More dynamic digital pricing finally.

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By defaultprophet

Probably not. Now if they released an HD PS2 Ace Combat Trilogy on there.......

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NTM

Where's the 'already have one' choice? Anyways, if I didn't have one yet, no, that would be a very stupid reason to want to get one in my opinion. I don't need backwards compatibility.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Being able to play ps1/ps2/ps3/ps4 discs on 1 system is a cool idea, but its just not a realistic thing in this day and age. And besides, I'd buy a ps4 to play ps4 games. Just like I bought a ps3 to play ps3 games, and so on. Everything else is secondary, IMO (except playing dvd's/blu rays/mp3's/other file formats).

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm fairly certain I'm going to get a PS4 at some point (I like a lot of Sony's first party stuff, and I'm going to need one at some point to play console games that will never come to PC - like Kingdom Hearts 3). That said, backwards compatability would probably make me take the plunge earlier. My backwards compatable PS3 broke just over a month ago (it still works but has serious overheating problems). I decided to buy a new PS3 to play PS3 games and just keep the old one for when I want to play PS2 games on the TV. If I could get a PS4 so it could do the same thing without the worry that maybe it will die for real the next time I turn it on (and play PS4 games) would probably be a good idea in terms of my sanity.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

Where's the 'already have one' choice? Anyways, if I didn't have one yet, no, that would be a very stupid reason to want to get one in my opinion. I don't need backwards compatibility.

I myself am waiting for more titles to come up, and was kind of on the fence about it. The main reason I'm looking forward to a feature like this is that it'll stop my PS2 games from looking like garbage on new TVs. When it comes to consoles, I am an unabashed fan of the Sony consoles, and will probably end up with a PS4, if only because I have an idea of what its library will eventually look like (KH3, great Naughty Dog exclusives, etc). It's just that working and legal PS2 emulation will help me get some mileage out of it from the start (I REALLY want to see a good-looking Killer7 on my wide screen TV).
    Also yeah, sorry about the crappy poll options, I accidently hit enter and posted this before I was done with it -_-".

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

I myself am waiting for more titles to come up, and was kind of on the fence about it. The main reason I'm looking forward to a feature like this is that it'll stop my PS2 games from looking like garbage on new TVs. When it comes to consoles, I am an unabashed fan of the Sony consoles, and will probably end up with a PS4, if only because I have an idea of what its library will eventually look like (KH3, great Naughty Dog exclusives, etc). It's just that working and legal PS2 emulation will help me get some mileage out of it from the start (I REALLY want to see a good-looking Killer7 on my wide screen TV).

Also yeah, sorry about the crappy poll options, I accidently hit enter and posted this before I was done with it -_-".

Sorry. I just mean, if it was like past backwards compatibility, I don't really care about it that much, but if it makes games look better than they previously were, like PS2 games in HD, that'd be kind of amazing.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I have a PS4 currently but that'd be great!

ErEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ErEl

@zeik said:

@video_game_king said:

@cloudymusic said:

Same with PS1 emulation.

I don't care much about PS1 emulation, as even a sub-par computer can emulate those games almost perfectly nowadays. PS2 games require a much higher end computer than I own though, and the emulation is still not perfect.

But it's hard to get rumble working with the games.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, buuut that's because I already intend on getting a PS4. That said, I would appreciate that very much (more so than PS3 BC, oddly enough. I didn't end up owning a whole lot of PS3 games).

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MikkaQ

No probably not, I don't really buy new consoles in the hopes of playing old games. If I wanted to play PS1 or PS2 games, I have a PS1 and a PS2 that does that already. Also I already got a PS4, so this is hypothetical. But backwards compatibility has never been important to me.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By WickedFather

It not being a shitty xbone is reason enough. I need no more.

-Cipher-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about PS3?

FidusLingura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be a nice addition. But not essential.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ervonymous

It'd be an extra incentive for sure. I could emulate most of my library with sharper graphics already but would still prefer to play them without having to think about EE/FPY Advanced Recompiler options and speedhacks on a console.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

people need to get over backwards compatibility as a needed feature. it will only keep consoles down

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49  Edited By crusader8463

Nope. I already have a PS3 that plays PS1 and PS2 too. If they had all 3 and I could just swap out my PS3 with the PS4 and keep going as is then yes I would be interested. Even if that was the case though, there is nothing on PS4 worth playing so there's still no reason to get any of the next gen stuff.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#50  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Kinda, but first and foremost I'd need to hear about analog audio output options. I'm fine with them not having the ports if it's compatible with generic USB-to-RCA audio devices or something. As it is my main audio receiver is analog only, and I have no interest in buying another one. I do have one optical audio in on my PC, but that slot is already being used.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.