Will you buy this day one no matter what?

• 65 results
#1 Posted by DarthOrange (3862 posts) -

I came to the realization today that I have been setting money aside to get this thing day one despite the fact that its existence has yet to be confirmed and I know nothing about it. How many of you are like this? Are you going to wait and see what Microsoft does and then pick based on the pros and cons of each like a sane person? Are you a rich bitch who will pick them both up this fall (assuming that's when they release)?

#2 Posted by BeachThunder (11932 posts) -

I'm 99% certain that I will never buy either an Orbis or a Durango. Any money I could spend on a console is money I could better put to use on upgrading my computer...

#3 Posted by DarthOrange (3862 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:

Any money I could spend on a console is money I could better put to use on upgrading my computer...

gross!
#4 Posted by BeachThunder (11932 posts) -

@DarthOrange said:

@BeachThunder said:

Any money I could spend on a console is money I could better put to use on upgrading my computer...

gross!

I'm not sure I follow? Unless you mean big in German, in which case, I still don't understand?

#5 Posted by DarthOrange (3862 posts) -
@BeachThunder: PC gaming is gross :P
#6 Posted by Hailinel (24778 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

I'm 99% certain that I will never buy either an Orbis or a Durango. Any money I could spend on a console is money I could better put to use on upgrading my computer...

PC Master Race detected!

#7 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

No.

#8 Posted by BeachThunder (11932 posts) -

@DarthOrange said:

@BeachThunder: PC gaming is gross :P

I actually had to check my URL bar; I thought I might have accidentally ended up on the GameSpot forums :P

#9 Edited by PenguinDust (12515 posts) -

"Day One" is a lot of work. I've been around enough console launches to realize that there's never anything that absolutely must be played on the new hardware "Day One". I will likely get a PS4 over a NextBox (yeah, I called them that) simply because I am uninterested in most of Microsoft's franchises. I do like Halo, but I still haven't played 4 and I'm not motivated enough by the Halo universe to blow $400 on a new console just to play in it. Sony has more franchises I still like. What it comes down to is the games. Who's got the best games and, honestly, we won't know that until at least 6 to 10 months after launch.

I can play on my PC until then.

#10 Posted by Spoonman671 (4635 posts) -

Imma geddit.

#11 Posted by benpicko (2008 posts) -

@DarthOrange said:

@BeachThunder: PC gaming is gross :P

xD lel

#12 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

I will not buy day 1. But i will buy it shortly after as Sony is my Go to company. I will be buying an Ouya and the nvidia shield day 1 though.

Also, PC is going to be upgraded soon. My Vid cards are not handling alot of things now a days at high/max anymore which means its time for a lil upgrade.

#13 Posted by handlas (2679 posts) -

Yes. I'll probably go Playstation only this time. I end up buying everything and then I prefer my PS and everything else just sits on the shelf. Never again! Oh, and I'm getting a new PC so that helps.

#14 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2388 posts) -

I'm saving up for the next Xbox now, but if Sony can convince me the PS4 will be way better I might change my mind.

#15 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

Pretty much this, but I don't plan on moving money around for pc upgrades and just being more picky with what I play.

This message was brought to you by...
#16 Posted by Nev (548 posts) -

Nope. I think I've pretty much joined the PC side exclusively at this point. As a duder said above, I'd sooner just upgrade my computer with the money. It's also definitely not the norm in my case. I came to PC gaming late, and was always a console player, but this gen just left me tired of the consoles, and I just inched further toward my computer every year, with every Steam sale.

#17 Posted by Zeik (2427 posts) -

I will buy one eventually no matter what, but I never buy consoles at launch and I can't imagine a realistic scenario that would change that now.

#18 Posted by PoisonJam7 (357 posts) -

Yes, I will. I'm not actively putting money aside, but I'm almost 99.9% certain I will buy a PS4/Orbis and a Durango/whatever they are going to call it on day one. I think most will agree with me that we are starved for new content.

And yes, I am a PC gamer too. Apparently, it is possible to like more then one thing simultaneously!!

#19 Posted by Flappy (2244 posts) -

Hell to da no. No matter how appealing these next gen consoles look, I don't plan on buying one this year. Next year? Perhaps.

#20 Posted by Slag (4362 posts) -

Nope

If some of the rumored changes re: always on DRM are true, I may not buy it ever. This is coming from someone who owns all three ps consoles currently.

Even if i do like it , I don't have the jack to spring for it at launch anyway.

#21 Posted by Strife777 (1579 posts) -

Maybe not day one, but not long after.

Durango might wait a little on the other hand.

#22 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

No. My PC is good for a couple more years at least. I don't have the money to burn on a new console yet. I will say though that if I had the money, I would go Sony before MS this time around.

I'll get one, just not going to be able to right away.

#23 Posted by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

No.

PC MASTER RACE FOREVER!

#24 Posted by Vonocourt (2130 posts) -

I'll try to pick up one of the next consoles day one, which one I don't know. But I can picture a bunch of things holding me back, so no.

#25 Posted by rentfn (1280 posts) -

I was going to wait to see what both sides have to offer and buy which ever one sounds better. I'm sure I'll get both eventually though.

#26 Posted by fiberpay (282 posts) -

I will probably get the Xbox1080, just because i play my 360 more than my PS3. Also I like xbox controller better. I won't get it day 1 as that is a crazy person's idea of a good time, i'll probably pick it up a week or two later when ever i can find one.

#27 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4208 posts) -

@DarthOrange said:

I came to the realization today that I have been setting money aside to get this thing day one despite the fact that its existence has yet to be confirmed and I know nothing about it. How many of you are like this? Are you going to wait and see what Microsoft does and then pick based on the pros and cons of each like a sane person? Are you a rich bitch who will pick them both up this fall (assuming that's when they release)?

I'ma get the Xbox Infinity I think. Killzone 4 should be dope though! ~ Bungie Destiny, Halo, Gears, Resistance, and Banjo N& B 2 won't be coming out on PC, I think. I'ma need to check then, though.

#28 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

Fuck getting any console day 1.

#29 Posted by Zleunamme (666 posts) -

No, I don't make it habit of buying new hardware based on potential or what it could do. I don't have a large sum of cash to make the initial purchase. I'm happy what I have right now. I can wait a year or two after the new consoles launch. It also depends on what games and services will be available.

#30 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19339 posts) -

Unfortunately, I believe my answer is yes. Not the Microsoft console because the 360 was extremely unsatisfying, but I'll probably get the Sony console on day 1 because I am crazy.

#31 Posted by Berserker976 (360 posts) -

It's going to take some major missteps on Sony's part to make me reconsider getting one at launch. I'm so ready for a new console.

Frankly I'm a bit surprised more people here don't feel that way.

#32 Posted by lead_farmer (1041 posts) -

Need to see games first. So, not likely.

#33 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2219 posts) -

Yes I've been waiting for this for two years and money isn't really an issue for me especially if the rumor for a cheap launch price is true.

#34 Edited by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

Probably not. My current PC is getting a tad old (having to scale back settings to play well) and that will probably lead to a system drastically exceeding PS4 specs. For my hours of play vs. cost of the console, the PS3, X360, and Wii U probably all exceed 20/hr on just the hardware end of it vs. my PC habits.

And I already purchased the Wii U (launch day pre-order). That was not a bad idea per se (my Rayman Origins pre-order from Oct will get here any day right?......), but it has cooled me toward purchasing another limited dedicated machine. And if its just x86 hardware with generic video I'm having trouble seeing what Sony would be providing in exchange for that platform holder cut aside from their existence and a few exclusives.

#35 Posted by ManMadeGod (1561 posts) -

Nah, I'm pretty content with the idea of only playing handheld games from here on out. Just don't have the time/desire to play console games any more.

#36 Posted by chrissedoff (2097 posts) -

No, because I don't want to line up at the crack of dawn to buy anything. Maybe by the end of the year I'll buy the new Playstation or Xbox, but that all depends on what they're like.

#37 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1172 posts) -

Nope, I have a PC. If I get any other console it'll be a Wii U.

#38 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

Nope. I'll probably get it eventually, but my next gen stake will be a purely portable affair until 2016.

#39 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1592 posts) -

I've got so much stuff left to play on current consoles (letalone old DS, PSP, and PS2 games) that it would be nuts for me to buy a new system at launch. I've got no problem with the DRM or anything like that, I've just got a huge backlog.

#40 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

I'll get it a year after with the first price drop/revision like I always do.

#41 Posted by Danteveli (1185 posts) -

No. After Xbox 360 I dont believe in day 1 purchases ( I hate collecting red rings of death).

#42 Posted by Bribo (605 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

Fuck getting any console day 1.

Exactly.

Import that motherfucker and get it on day -178.

#43 Posted by Vinny_Says (5708 posts) -

No matter what? What if the Orbis only works with Sony branded 4k TVs? Then in that case if I said yes I'd be royally fucked.

I'll look at the systems and I'll look at the games and I'll buy what has the game(s) I want to play. It's as simple as that. I totally got me a original xbox because it had Halo on it. I gots me a 360 because my cousin had Call of Duty 4 and I could play with him. I did not get a WiiU (yet) because there are no games that interest me. Real simple like I said.

#44 Posted by ViciousReiven (821 posts) -

I'll end up getting everything eventually, not sure which will be day one until I hear the full details for both.  
I was planning on Durango first, a Wii U second and Orbis later after price drops, but if the rumours of the required internet connection and no aftermarket sales are true about the Durango then it'll definitely be the reverse.

#45 Posted by zels (207 posts) -

Nope, the consoles would have to do something absolutely insane to get me on board this time around and at 400-500 a pop it just aint happening.

The only thing that I can imagine at that price point is something awesome server side but that basically rules the xbox out (pay for gold? See ads? Ef off).

#46 Posted by SharkEthic (1049 posts) -

Day one? Fuck no.

Ever? Probably.

#47 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2772 posts) -

PS4 and XB-Next will be reviewed a great deal at least a few days before luanch, so I will hold off final judement until I know more.  Depending on what media outlets say, I might not buy on day one.  I'm 99% sure I will buy day one, but I never wait in lines, so it really will be a last moment choice.  I'm not terribley sensive on price either, if you are counting pennies to pay for something then don't buy it.  

#48 Posted by StarvingGamer (8237 posts) -

No. It depends on what games are available on release-day.

#49 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

If the ps4 has backwards compatibility then fuck yeah I'm buying it day one. But I'm not counting on it, so probably not this year.

#50 Posted by MB (12389 posts) -

I don't plan on buying any new consoles until at least one price drop happens and there are several games not available on PC that are must-buys.

It's going to be difficult to justify buying either of the new consoles when I already have a two year old gaming PC that is capable of far more. We'll see.

Moderator Online

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.