Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Worth getting a PS4 or leave it for an unlikely price drop?

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By leinad44

With the release of The Last of Us: Remastered, which I never played due to just having a 360, I've been heavily considering getting a PS4 with The Last of Us bundle. As I just said I have a 360, as well as a 3DS. Although a lot of the games coming out cross generation at the moment, the 360 versions I play feel extremely shaky. Unfortunately, I also don't have a gaming PC, so I feel like I'm falling behind on releases and there are games coming later this year that I would really like to try out.

I can certainly afford to buy a PS4, but I am also in the process of trying to save money for next year. However, a price drop from Sony really does not look likely soon. Anyone else in a similar situation of trying to time their purchases right?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I'll say just buy it now to get it over with, unless your tight on money. Time will go by and you'll regain the money back in no time from working.

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By RuthLoose

@leinad44 Always wait for a Sony system redesign. They are always the best in the business at that (PS One, PS2 Slim and PS3 Slim). I smell one in 2015.

WAIT. Also, there are no games coming out until next year anyways.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've ordered a Destiny/PS4 bundle due September 9th. I never got around to playing The Last of Us, so those two were enough to motivate me to pony up the money now rather than wait. Plus, the new Call of Duty looks like it might be the first one worth while in a long time. Most of the other releases due this year and early next I'll get on PC, my platform of choice. I looked at what the PS4 and XBO had to offer this year and decided whether or not it was enough for me to take the plunge. For me, the PS4 came out ahead on the strength of exclusive games and games associated with the platform. Although, I am going to have to decide which way to go with No Man's Sky now.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sometimes there are featured eBay sellers that drop the price on new ps4s to around 350 with no tax (depending on where you live. I've seen multiple sites like kotaku and ign advertise these through their "deals" department). That's how I got mine and I don't regret it. Though I would have probably waited a couple of years if I didn't get that deal. I paid 360 and no tax, which is probably less than the first few price drops will be (including tax).

Right now I would probably recommend you wait until there's a few games you really want to play on the system before you pay full price

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ruthloose: I don't know, Sony has really nailed the design of the ps4 already. Its not much bigger than the first ps3 slim as it is.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I would say get it. The last of us is an excellent incentive to get it. The port job is really well done on top of it already being a materpiece, I would say pull the trigger

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vahleticar

@leinad44: Yeah a price drop usually happens when sales have slowed down. I think they're selling like cakes so be a bro and buy one, like I'm doing now when there are games out coming out for it, well not really, actually there's nothing till February, ha!

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@leinad44 said:

I can certainly afford to buy a PS4, but I am also in the process of trying to save money for next year. However, a price drop from Sony really does not look likely soon. Anyone else in a similar situation of trying to time their purchases right?

If you don't have a gaming PC or an Xbox One, you already have far more reason to pickup a PS4 than many people. There's also the issue of PS Plus value, when you consider you'll be missing out on two games every month until you do pickup the system. They're mostly smaller downloadable titles, but some of them have been pretty good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_(North_America)#PlayStation_4

By the time they drop the price by 50 dollars, you'll have easily made up that much in PS Plus titles, so there are plenty of reasons why waiting for a price drop doesn't make a lot of sense IMO.

Then again, I don't know how what you're trying to save for, how much you have right now, how much you'll need, and how quickly you're able to save money, so it's hard to weigh in on that part. Depending on your situation, it might be a really bad idea right now. 400 for the console, 50 for PS Plus, 60 or 120 for a game or two--as far as US prices go--and that cost is going to add up quickly.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there's more than TLOU:RM and some PS+ that you want right now, go for it. 1886 and Bloodborne were pushed to Q1 2015 so here's what's expected, not counting possible surprises from GamesCom and TGS: http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/wiki/games

There's been a few changes of PS4 hardware but nothing huge, the first one was moving to more reliable BR drive mechanics and that's a good reason to go for a fresh new PS4 with warranty.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By mikey87144

Just do it. You'll be happier. There aren't many games but at least you'll have the system already when the games come instead of asking whether this is the game that justifies the system. You don't want to play games designed for current-gen on last-gen hardware. I bought it knowing that I won't be using it much since launch and now I'm excited to play it because Destiny and a couple of other games are launching.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

If you feel you need it then just get it. I'm in similar financial situation to yours (saving money) and I feel no need of getting it since there are no games for me and nothing I'm interested is coming out any time soon.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm actually almost exactly in the same situation as you: I have a 360 and a Vita (even more incentive for me to get a PS4 for remote play) and I feel like I'm coming to the end of the games released over the past few years that I still want to play for my 360. I'm going to wait for the holiday season and hopefully get an SSD on the cheap during black Friday sales. That next Elder Scrolls game needs some load time work, you know? Anyway I think this fall is the time to upgrade. Like you said there are still cross generation games being released but it really does feel like the generation is starting now.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I wouldn't wait for a price drop as I imagine that is a LONG way off, but I would wait for a better library. I also, personally, like to wait until the second or third wave of stock as they usually have better guts by then.

But, sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do.

Ozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Like everyone else has said price drops aren't coming anytime soon. I own a PS4 and I can say that it's still very barren out their as far as games are concerned, although the indie games help, so if you don't mind that then just get it now.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Stete

The only reason for a price drop this early would have been if the console was impossible to move from shelves, so don't expect a price drop anytime soon. However, I managed to get a second hand from Amazon for £245 with Killzone, so you can probably find a good deal if you are willing to buy used.

bmehlers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm in the same situation, but I kinda want to get a gaming PC too. I want a PC that will be able to play The Witcher 3 well and take advantage of how good that game will look (don't know the system requirements for it). However, I want to play Destiny while it's hot, and am looking forward to Dragon Age: Inquisition. I do think a gaming PC might be too big a purchase for me right now though.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

If you only have a xbox 360 and a 3DS right now I would say it's worth the purchase if you are interested in getting one anyway. I recently just bought my own PS4 like two weeks ago and it's awesome. Even though the selection is a little thin if you only look at exclusives I would still say that there are plenty of great games to play on PS4 if you include cross-gen games. I have also chosen not to buy a lot of the cross-gen games released this and last year cause I knew I would be getting a PS4 at some point so I would rather play the better version of those games. Therefore I have a bit more to choose from than most other PS4 owners I guess. If you include download only games I think there are plenty of games to keep you occupied.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By audiosnow

I'd wait for the first major hardware revision (and it's going to happen). I've heard from many people who've had various niggling issues that will probably be at least a little alleviated by a hardware update.

@spaceinsomniac said:

@leinad44 said:

If you don't have a gaming PC or an Xbox One, you already have far more reason to pickup a PS4 than many people. There's also the issue of PS Plus value, when you consider you'll be missing out on two games every month until you do pickup the system. They're mostly smaller downloadable titles, but some of them have been pretty good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_(North_America)#PlayStation_4

By the time they drop the price by 50 dollars, you'll have easily made up that much in PS Plus titles, so there are plenty of reasons why waiting for a price drop doesn't make a lot of sense IMO.

Then again, I don't know how what you're trying to save for, how much you have right now, how much you'll need, and how quickly you're able to save money, so it's hard to weigh in on that part. Depending on your situation, it might be a really bad idea right now. 400 for the console, 50 for PS Plus, 60 or 120 for a game or two--as far as US prices go--and that cost is going to add up quickly.

I've been "collecting" PS4 games on PS+ without owning the console. As long as one has PS+ and remembers to claim a copy of each game, I don't know if one even needs to own a single Sony console. (!)

snakeitachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, nothing interests me at the moment. Ill be getting one once MGS5 or FFXV come out.

dusker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to play Destiny and No Man's Sky, but I since I can play Destiny on my PS3 and port my character over, and NMS isn't out until 2015, I'm just waiting. I do have a PC, which sort of helps since most games are coming out on PC these days.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

There won't be a price drop anytime soon so what I am going to do is wait for a bundle like the Destiny one or The Last of Us one. That and money lol.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I just ordered a PS4 a couple of days ago. (Not sure why I ordered it from Amazon instead of just driving 5 minutes to walmart to get it immediately.) But since I did, undoubtedly the universe will throw some kind of sale out there just to punch me in the face with buyer's remorse.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

If you don't have a gaming PC it's definitely worth it. I would get the Destiny bundle though.

xXHesekielXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xXHesekielXx

Wait and buy it when there is a bundle of your taste available!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.