Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Would you buy a completely reimagined Crash Bandicoot game on PS4?

• 58 results
    II_SpadeX_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Would you buy a completely reimagined Crash Bandicoot game on PS4? (158 votes)

Yes 37%
    No 38%
    Only if its not developed by Activision 23%
    Only if it's developed by Activision 3%
     • 
    glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wot m8?

Isn't Activision more in the business of publishing games? I'd guess you mean Naughty Dog since they made the original games. Not that I still really understand, though. How completely? If it would be turned into a shooter? I probably wouldn't buy it then, no. If it would be like the supposed Jak & Daxter reboot that never happened? If it would be any good, sure.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Completely reimagined? No. A small, digital-only reboot that's rooted in nostalgia? Yes.

II_SpadeX_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glottery:

Sorry. You're right, its Radical who developed the newer Crash games. Though Radical is owned by Activision.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

Yes. I might hate it, but the Nostalgia is too strong, and so Is my admiration for that game.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Naughty Dog did it

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#6  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

Nah I don't see a reason to make a brand new game staring Crash. It just doesn't seem like a franchise that would sell much these days unfortunately.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

What the heck is Crash Bandicoot in 2014? I'd rather not find out and just play the old ones. They're good enough as it is.

II_SpadeX_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By II_SpadeX_II

@riostarwind:

Oh it definitely would sell, you don't wanna know how crazy people went when they thought Activision sold the franchise to Sony

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yummylee

@gruebacca said:

What the heck is Crash Bandicoot in 2014? I'd rather not find out and just play the old ones. They're good enough as it is.

Ideally it would be the same as how it was on the PS1. Crash 2 & Warped in particular still play really well, so I'd be plenty content if there was to ever be another one of those simply with enhanced graphics.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Hell no. I've seen what completely reimagined Spyro looks like.

If they just took the old Crash formula and made something of a nostalgic reboot (see Donkey Kong Country Returns) stfu and take my money.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

If naughty dog made a $20 digital crash ge that played like the old ones I would play that. Otherwise? No.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they don't stray too far from the formula and had prettier graphics. Then yes, I would buy a new Crash Bandicoot. If it goes in the direction that Sonic does these days then no. Also, it would have to be a Naughty Dog made game, I don't trust any other studio to do it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By csl316

No.

I love the old Crash games. Been playing Crash 2 since it became available on Vita and it's still one of my top 5 platformers of all time.

But I know bringing it back will never hit those heights. Hell, even Crash 3 felt like a step down to me.

Seeing Crash in cameo form and whatnot is cool. Hearing the Wumpa fruit sound brings back a ton of nostalgia and good memories. But it just... it'll just make me want to play Crash 2 again, man.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell no. I've seen what completely reimagined Spyro looks like.

If they just took the old Crash formula and made something of a nostalgic reboot (see Donkey Kong Country Returns) stfu and take my money.

Oh wait.... there is a right way to do this.

I take back what I said, something as good as DKC Returns is worth dreaming about.

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
    Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Who even owns Crash right now? I remember hearing awhile back about Crash being reacquired by Sony, but nothing ever official. Was that all just rumor and speculation?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GunstarRed

I don't really like how the old games play to be honest. I never thought Crash brought anything of its own the the genre. If I was asked to tell you what the defining thing of Crash Bandicoot was I could not give you an answer.

Knack is pretty much a new Crash game.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Replace that Nathan Drake loser with Crash in the next game and we're talkin'.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I really dug those Activision Crash titles more than the originals, so sure why not, as long as it doesn't go back to the original format.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It would be down to the game, the Crash IP isn't enough of a draw to be a sell on its own.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Who even owns Crash right now? I remember hearing awhile back about Crash being reacquired by Sony, but nothing ever official. Was that all just rumor and speculation?

It's an Activision property at this point, and they seem content to just sit on it for as long as they own it.

As for my opinion on a Crash reboot, I honestly have no interest. I never liked Crash games before, and I don't think that a new one would change my mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I don't think the twelve people actually nostalgic about Crash Bandicoot would be enough people to justify a reboot. Better off just making a new IP or rebooting something else.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AMyggen

I loved the Crash games as a kid, but...no, not really. They were good games but I have absolutely no nostalgia for the world or the character. They did what they could do with that world in the first two games.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Crash had gone out on top and been cut short in its prime somehow, I could see people wanting a reboot. But c'mon, those later entries got pretty meh. Same with the later Spyro entries. Those series got put out to pasture (or morphed into an entirely different IP, respectively) with good reason.

I mean, sure, Sonic also only had like 3-4 great games, and then about 15 mediocre ones after that, but Sonic has been grandfathered into the system because he got in on the ground floor of modern home consoles (or close enough).

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By thebunnyhunter

Id love a new Crash game like the first one, hell id buy an HD reimagining of the first 3 with Crash Bash for 60 bucks. Id also would like the same treatment for the first 3 Spyro games, those would look absolutely gorgeous remade.

Also why isnt Crash in Skylanders? He and Spyro are best buds but Spryo gets in with Skylanders and doesn't bring is friend?

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the PS1 games when I was a kid, but there's nothing that makes me have any lasting affection for the franchise. I'd much rather someone try and make their own IP rather than reboot Crash. I really don't care about HD remakes of the old games, either. I have a PS1, PS2, and a backwards-compatible PS3 if I ever want to play those games... which I probably won't.

Er... wait. Wait. If you take Crash's messed up body proportions, scale him up to Human size, put him in an "Uncharted"-type universe with normal-looking humans and non-cartoony visuals, and give him a super creepy Nathan Drake-esque voice... that would be just horrific enough that I'd need to buy it.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No, unless the original naughty dog brain trust was behind it.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe? I played the original games recently and didn't care for em. If they gave it a neat twist I might consider it.

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
    Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like they would probably have to change up the game a bit to make it work today. I mean weren't the Activision games basically the same style, but poorly executed? Or, was the game style just old by that point and it became boring? I barely remember those games, played like two of the Activision games, and hated them, and I was still young enough to just assume it was the same people making the games.

I feel like what could work today is something similar to Rayman Origins. Make the Crash art super cartoony, similar to that fake PS4 boxart, and turn it into a side scrolling plat-former.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If it was good I would.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#30  Edited By DarthOrange

No. Crash Bandicoot Warped is one of my favorite games of all time, up there with Super Mario World. That said, those types of games have no place in this day and age. You would need to change too much to make it ok for todays world and at that point you might as well just call it something else.

@csl316 said:

But I know bringing it back will never hit those heights. Hell, even Crash 3 felt like a step down to me.

You're crazy. 2 is great but Warped is the pinnacle.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RonGalaxy

If its a good game, sure! I just don't think any developer is going to take the time to make a good crash bandicoot game again.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

As a character design, Crash is dated. I'd definitely would like to revisit a new Jak & Daxter though.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthorange: I hear that argument a lot, bit I felt Warped tried doing too many things.

Crash 2 had a laser focus on platforming. 3 threw in mediocre bits like the jet ski, the motorcycle, the plane. Everytime I play Warped, I feel like I spend too much time in sub par sections. The more traditional levels kick ass, however, and the new abilities and time trials give the game the right kind of variety.

Crash 2? All killer.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

uhhhh.... I didn''t even enjoy crash 1 on a rental perspective.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

@darthorange: I hear that argument a lot, bit I felt Warped tried doing too many things.

Crash 2 had a laser focus on platforming. 3 threw in mediocre bits like the jet ski, the motorcycle, the plane. Everytime I play Warped, I feel like I spend too much time in sub par sections. The more traditional levels kick ass, however, and the new abilities and time trials give the game the right kind of variety.

Crash 2? All killer.

The plane sections were iffy but the jet ski sections were fun. The motorcycle and tiger segments were the ones I spent the most time playing. Me and my cousins would sit around and only play those levels on time trial and try to beat each others high scores.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthorange: And my irrational dislike of the tiger sections is because they didn't have the music of the baby polar bear parts in 2.

Unfortunately, nostalgia has put us on separate paths, as Crash 2 is right up there with Mario World for me. But Crash 3 is only in very good company, not masterpiece company.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By glots

@glottery:

Sorry. You're right, its Radical who developed the newer Crash games. Though Radical is owned by Activision.

I thought all the Crash games after the original trio were generally disliked, so I can't imagine anyone being against those getting a reimagination, at least by a decent developer. Never did play them myself.

I actually bought all the Crash games for Vita on a whim. I have only played the first one, because I feel like I should complete them in order, but I might skip over to two now. Though eventually I just might dig up my PS3, because some of those jumping sections were/are a major pain in the arse with Vita's controls, hence why I still haven't finished the first game...

Anyways, be it Crash or not, I'd just want to see some AAA platformer make an apperance on PS4. Only title in the horizon currently seems to be LBP3 in November and I've always liked the visual design in those games over the somewhat-clunky gameplay parts.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glottery said:

@ii_spadex_ii said:

@glottery:

I thought all the Crash games after the original trio were generally disliked, so I can't imagine anyone being against those getting a reimagination, at least by a decent developer. Never did play them myself.

I actually bought all the Crash games for Vita on a whim. I have only played the first one, because I feel like I should complete them in order, but I might skip over to two now. Though eventually I just might dig up my PS3, because some of those jumping sections were/are a major pain in the arse with Vita's controls, hence why I still haven't finished the first game...

Anyways, be it Crash or not, I'd just want to see some AAA platformer make an apperance on PS4. Only title in the horizon currently seems to be LBP3 in November and I've always liked the visual design in those games over the somewhat-clunky gameplay parts.

The first game was really rough. 2 and 3 are the reason people fondly remember the franchise. And Crash Team Racing. That game is also really good.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if From Software made it.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first game was really rough. 2 and 3 are the reason people fondly remember the franchise. And Crash Team Racing. That game is also really good.

Scratching my memory some more, I think I now actually recall that being the case. I never did play them myself back in the day, but my friend bought 2 as one of the first games for his PS. I'm pretty sure he bought the first one before 3 was released and commented on it being clunky. I watched from aside and thought all of them looked pretty great, but like mentioned, never did control them myself.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gruebacca: If it's developed properly Crash Bandicoot in 2014 is what Rayman Origins was in 2011.

I would probably buy a new Crash Bandicoot. It was a good platformer.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42  Edited By Gruebacca

@yummylee: That ain't gonna fly in 2014. The levels are too short, and the pacing is too linear, and the 3D aspect of the games isn't necessary. Any 3D platformer that comes out nowadays (like the mainline Mario series) has to be absolutely spectacular, with the 3D actually meaning a damn. The 3D in the Crash games historically was only there to differentiate the series from Mario. Nowadays, consumers aren't fooled with that.

@gruebacca: If it's developed properly Crash Bandicoot in 2014 is what Rayman Origins was in 2011.

I would probably buy a new Crash Bandicoot. It was a good platformer.

That's the problem, though. What does properly developed mean? Making the same kind of game with current visuals is not proper development. In an alternate universe where Crash Bandicoot Origins came out instead of Rayman, however, that'd be awesome, but I don't think there's room for Crash to make that transition in our world.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gruebacca: Just do what Rayman did. It doesn't have to change the world. It just has to be a good, fun platformer.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Yummylee

@gruebacca: Under the pretence of a full-priced game, of course it wouldn't make sense in 2014. But like I already mentioned, a new Crash game that's rooted in nostalgia and provides all of the same gameplay as the PS1 games but with prettier graphics is perfect for a small, digital only £8-£12 thing. Plus, while the levels are short, they could instead simply design an awful lot of 'em to counteract it.

Also, the 3D aspect wasn't necessary? I don't even know what you mean by that. Crash was a 3D platformer series. Sure, the levels were basically gauntlets and rather closed-in, but it was still set within a 3D space. They even had a few 2D segments in there as well, just to give you some contrast and add to the variety.

@turboman said:

As a character design, Crash is dated. I'd definitely would like to revisit a new Jak & Daxter though.

lol wot. What is it about Crash that's dated compared to Jak & Daxter? Jak is a gruff, spikey-haired, goatie-sporting near-silent protagonist, and Daxter is basically a less somewhat-insane and (imo) more annoying version of Crash.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: So you think a new take on the crash series wouldn't work unless it's rooted in Nostalgia?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Yummylee

@theacidskull said:

@yummylee: So you think a new take on the crash series wouldn't work unless it's rooted in Nostalgia?

I would bet that a nostalgia-driven Crash game would bring about more fan fare than some reimagined reboot release. Obviously it depends on what this hypothetical reimagining is, but given how poorly the series turned out with its last few entries, a new one that continues on its trend of trying new things wouldn't exactly inspire much in the way of enthusiasm. It's the sort of series that would have to remind you of why it gained its fanbase in the first place before it then starts diverging off into unknown territory.

It's basically the same situation as the Tony Hawk series, even though its own nostalgia-release wasn't well received. The idea is still sound, it's the execution that was clearly off.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@theacidskull said:

I would bet that a nostalgia-driven Crash game would bring about more fan fare than some reimagined reboot release. Obviously it depends on what this hypothetical reimagining is, but given how poorly the series turned out with its last few entries, a new one that continues on its trend of trying new things wouldn't exactly inspire much in the way of enthusiasm. It's the sort of series that would have to remind you of why it gained its fanbase in the first place before it then starts diverging off into unknown territory.

It's basically the same situation as the Tony Hawk series, even though its own nostalgia-release wasn't well received. The idea is still sound, it's the execution that was clearly off.

SO essentially, if they want to make a new crash game, they should start with a ones that are more Nostalgia centered so that fans can be reminded why crash was so fucking good in the day right? And after that's done once or twice, they'll have more freedom of exploring new concepts once they reestablish their fanbase as well as gain new followers. That's what you meant, right? :)

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Yeah.

Not like any of this matters, though, given that a new Crash of any kind seems incredibly unlikely. Still, it's fun to dream up hypotheticals.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@theacidskull: Yeah.

Not like any of this matters, though, given that a new Crash of any kind seems incredibly unlikely. Still, it's fun to dream up hypotheticals.

Yeah, I miss thous games, Crash was my very first video Game. Still remember the final boss of the first game

To be fair though...Twinsanity was actually pretty good and fucking fun as hell, and while the titan games were meh, they still carried the wackyness of the prior crash series. Hope someone ONE day revives the nut job orange dog...thing..guy..whatever.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By John1912

I never liked the character or the games. I always felt they were a poor attempt at jumping on the mascot bandwagon to compete with Sega and Nintendo. More cuz they had to. Not because they wanted to, but marketing said they needed to. Mascot games are really meant for a younger audience. None of them appeal to me anymore.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.