Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Yellow light?

Eli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Eli

I was moving my PS4 from laying horizontal to laying vertical , and when I did, I accidentally ejected my BF4 disc (which obviously powers on the system). This alarmed me, so I tried to keep my PS4 level while I took out the disc and turned off the system, but then a yellow light came on...what is that supposed to indicate? Not gonna lie, it scared the shit out of me, but once I restarted the console BF4 seems to run fine. I'm just wondering what the yellow light indicates and why that would have happened.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

It is on Standby.

Eli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh word, so nothing to be alarmed about? That's a relief. How do I put it on/off stand-by though?

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

• Blue - Powering on
    • White - On
    • Yellow - Standby
    • Red - Overheating
    Eli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Blue - Powering on
    • White - On
    • Yellow - Standby
    • Red - Overheating

Cool, thanks!

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

• Blue - Powering on
    • White - On
    • Yellow - Standby
    • Red - Overheating

God I hate being colorblind. Standby looks red to me.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@eli: When you hold the PlayStation button, it gives the option to go into Standby or Power Off. There really isn't a reason to use Standby yet, but nothing bad happens when it is on.

Eli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eli: When you hold the PlayStation button, it gives the option to go into Standby or Power Off. There really isn't a reason to use Standby yet, but nothing bad happens when it is on.

Thanks for the help, guys! =)

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Standby lets it ping PSN for updates more frequently. Even if you keep it powered off, it will still do the usual nightly update like the PS3 (if you have PS+). The difference is that the PS4 does this for system updates even if you don't pay for plus.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@corvak said:

Standby lets it ping PSN for updates more frequently. Even if you keep it powered off, it will still do the usual nightly update like the PS3 (if you have PS+). The difference is that the PS4 does this for system updates even if you don't pay for plus.

You can also remote install games I believe in standby, or was that cut from launch?

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

In Standby mode you can also recharge your controllers which is what I do with mine. Standby is a very low power mode so rather than actually leave the system running 100% on, I find standby better to recharge the controller until Amazon get the charging stations back in stock.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@corvak said:

The PS3 also let's you do the system updates for free now. I think the latest firmware added that as a non PS+ feature.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You mean Orange, right? Because the light on mine is Orange, not yellow.

Jnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
    deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey just wondering I was playing nba live demo n I noticed my remote light turn red and I freaked so took the demo off and everything was back to normal. Is that just for demos or something I should be worried about?

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

Standby will charger your controller overnight. It's a yellow/orange (I see it more as orange). It'll also download updates as well. Though I had to manually install 1.51 when I turned it on. It was still nice to already have it downloaded. I hope they keep pushing updates this fast.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does everyone leave their PS4s on the standby mode or do you guys shut it off completely? Not sure if I'm just wasting power by having it on standby all the time.

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@panpipe: I leave it on standby. Supposedly the power consumption is super low in this mode.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Here's a chart I saw on Anandtech.com

Power Consumption Comparison
    Total System PowerOffStandbyIdleLoad (BF4)Load (BD Playback)
    Microsoft Xbox 360 Slim0.6W-70.4W90.4W (RDR)-
    Microsoft Xbox One0.22W15.3W69.7W119.0W79.9W
    Sony PlayStation 40.45W8.59W88.9W139.8W98.0W

Looks like the PS4 isn't that bad in standby.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can approximate your costs for something that is on 24/7 just with the wattage number. If it's 8.59W in standby, it'll cost you about $8.59/year in electricity. Maybe less, maybe more, depending on where you live and such.

Yes, it's a non-trivial amount of money, but it's actually less than the Wii was when it came out. And everyone left those in standby, most people didn't even know how to set it to go to off.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aviar, @flippyandnod:

Thanks duders that was useful. Seems like the Xbox is much better when it comes to consumption while it's running - but the saving during standby mode makes up for it a bit. Must be that Kinect waiting for you to say "Xbox ON". I hope the Xbox doesn't use too much power while you're watching TV through it.

Going from this I think I'll leave my PS4 on standby a couple nights a week and just turn it off the rest of the time. That way it can still get updates and stuff like that.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flippyandnod: Huh that's really interesting. Didn't know there was a simple correlation like that.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i got fuschia :\

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.