You stood in line on launch day and didn't preorder. Did you receive a PS4?

Posted by Gruebacca (511 posts) 9 months, 13 days ago

Poll: You stood in line on launch day and didn't preorder. Did you receive a PS4? (82 votes)

Yes 38%
No 59%

I'm interested in knowing the proportion of people who succeeded in obtaining a PS4 on launch day without having preordered ahead of time. I was one of those in line, but then I left early after taking up the Amazon deal, so I couldn't get an accurate reading from my store. My assumption is that most of the people in line received one, if the estimations from the Best Buy employees happened to be true.

#1 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

I went into my local EB this morning (about an hour ago) to trade some games towards their next-gen counterparts. There were probably twenty people there, maybe a third attempted to pick up the PS4 without pre-ordering and were shot down until NEXT YEAR.

#2 Posted by TheHBK (5472 posts) -

@deranged said:

I went into my local EB this morning (about an hour ago) to trade some games towards their next-gen counterparts. There were probably twenty people there, maybe a third attempted to pick up the PS4 without pre-ordering and were shot down until NEXT YEAR.

Well that is EB, not a real store like Futureshop? Is that what you guys have in Canada? Best Buy? Anyway, these guys are never to be trusted as a gauge of what stock is really like.

#3 Posted by AlexW00d (6235 posts) -

I wish you added a see results option so I can see the results without skewing them.

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (14763 posts) -
#5 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@thehbk said:

@deranged said:

Well that is EB, not a real store like Futureshop? Is that what you guys have in Canada? Best Buy? Anyway, these guys are never to be trusted as a gauge of what stock is really like.

What? EB is the same thing as GameStop dude. We also have Future Shop, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target. I'd be surprised if it wasn't entirely identical to what is available in the U.S.

#6 Posted by kaos_cracker (579 posts) -

Talked to the guy at my Gamestop. Dude said that they only had a few non preorders available and were immediately sold at midnight.

#7 Posted by leftie68 (215 posts) -

Easy as pie. I went into Target to return some things this morning (I was there about 10 minutes after they opened and had no intention of getting a PS4 this year), and as I walked in (I guess I look like a gamer) an employee asked me if I was there for the PS4...I asked her if they had any and she said about 10 more...I said sure, she handed me a card with a number on it, and I stood in line for 15 minutes and took one home. Apparently what happened is Target only sold a certain number of systems at midnight and held onto some for the morning shoppers. Easiest system purchase ever.

#8 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (466 posts) -

Gamestop should not be the litmus test for this endeavor. I remember trying to get a PS Move controller bundle when they came out, and the Gamestop clerk scolded me for not preordering and told me I'd have to check back in two weeks.

I walked across the street to Best Buy, who had a display that was chock full of them. I bought two and a camera without issue. Gamestop can suck my dick.

And yes, I know, I have no room to talk because I went and bought a PS Move the day it came out. Trust me......I know.

#9 Posted by rachelepithet (1391 posts) -

I learned from the Xbox 2001 and PS2 launches to not buy into the idea that you won't be able to find one till Xmas. If you were willing to show up at 6 to 8 pm yesterday at a Walmart you'd most definitely get a ticket. I showed at 1030 and was 6/7 in line. Then of course like another seven people showed up at 1130 after the line was full. I think people assume Best Buy and Gamestop where lines are 50 people long with preordered folks and non preorder folks grouped up outside the store. While places like Kmart and Walmart had no preorder systems and just 2-10 for the general public they were still your best bet if you were willing to sit for four hours. 24 hour camping is bullshit and totally unnecessary

#10 Posted by Bollard (5426 posts) -

I can't see the poll without voting. Argsfhghfgdt.

#11 Edited by Coafi (1483 posts) -

@deranged said:

That's BS. They will probably receive more stock around Black Friday at the latest.

#12 Edited by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@coafi said:

@deranged said:

That's BS. They will probably receive more stock around Black Friday at the latest.

Not what the manager said :/ He said they are out of stock until January at the earliest.

#13 Posted by TheHBK (5472 posts) -

@deranged said:

@thehbk said:

@deranged said:

What? EB is the same thing as GameStop dude. We also have Future Shop, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target. I'd be surprised if it wasn't entirely identical to what is available in the U.S.

Yeah I know, just that EB is not used as the name in the states so I assumed you were in Canada, my point being that bigger box stores like Best Buy and Target are a better place to check. Gamestop/EB are notorious for selling out people's pre orders and keeping new stock to lock into bundles. And how many countless stories do we get from people who go into an EB or GS and ask for something but the guy tells them no if they didn't preorder then walk across the street to get it where they have a shit load. For a store that gets thought of as the defacto place to get gaming stuff, they don't keep much inventory because they just don't have the space and choose to focus on used. They will gladly sell you a used PS4 later on.

#14 Edited by Gruebacca (511 posts) -

Oh, yeah. forgot the "see results" option. Woops!

Currently, it's 38% Yes and 62% No.

#15 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

Gamestop should not be the litmus test for this endeavor. I remember trying to get a PS Move controller bundle when they came out, and the Gamestop clerk scolded me for not preordering and told me I'd have to check back in two weeks.

I walked across the street to Best Buy, who had a display that was chock full of them. I bought two and a camera without issue. Gamestop can suck my dick.

And yes, I know, I have no room to talk because I went and bought a PS Move the day it came out. Trust me......I know.

Same exact scenario played out for me but with Luigi's Mansion 2. Gamestop and Walmart share a parking lot so it was quick and painless to stroll over there after the gamestop clerk told me I had to pre-order the game. They are constantly pulling this shit.

#16 Posted by paulmd (17 posts) -

Yes I did.
Went to Best Buy last night. I'd say I was around one of 60 people there that hadn't pre-ordered. We all got one.

#17 Posted by MacGoesZoom (75 posts) -

I didn't even wait in line. I went to the Costco around 1030 and picked one right up.

#18 Posted by Whitestripes09 (401 posts) -

Considering that both my Gamestop and Wal-mart had 10 consoles each, it seemed pretty impossible to get one last night if you didn't pre order... I didn't personally go, but I did call just to see if they had any left over.

#19 Edited by marc (500 posts) -

I picked my preorder unit at midnight, then went to best buy wth a friend around 5am for their 8am opening, and they had 40 unreserved units. i was #1 in line lol. figured i may as well grab a second to see what they start selling for online as xmas draws near.

#20 Posted by Buneroid (428 posts) -

Yep futureshop was out but walmart said they asked sony to send them extra to that location? Idk but I'm hype.

#21 Posted by Reisz (1483 posts) -

Thirty consoles for pick up by non pre-orderers were claimed by a line of exactly thirty people at my Best Buy last night. Impressed.

#22 Edited by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@thehbk said:

Yeah I know, just that EB is not used as the name in the states so I assumed you were in Canada, my point being that bigger box stores like Best Buy and Target are a better place to check. Gamestop/EB are notorious for selling out people's pre orders and keeping new stock to lock into bundles. And how many countless stories do we get from people who go into an EB or GS and ask for something but the guy tells them no if they didn't preorder then walk across the street to get it where they have a shit load. For a store that gets thought of as the defacto place to get gaming stuff, they don't keep much inventory because they just don't have the space and choose to focus on used. They will gladly sell you a used PS4 later on.

Ah my bad dude, I guess I just misunderstood you LOL! Yeah, I feel really bad for those who depend solely on EB/Gamestop for hardware. I'm picking up my XONE next week and I won't be getting a PS4 until at least Spring next year but thanks for looking out!

#23 Edited by D_Mac (123 posts) -

Futureshop in Toronto was advertising that they had a minimum of 25 "unreserved units" per store.

#24 Posted by Slag (4244 posts) -

didn't this time, but my best friend got the very last one his local gamestop had.

#25 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@d_mac: Windsor is getting jipped in that regard :(

#26 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

Gamestop is actually the LAST place to go to get one since pre-orders is their whole schtick. THey would be happiest if they never had anything in stock, ever.

I remember the launch of Halo 3. A guy at my work was smugly telling me he preordered his. I told him I planned to get it, but hadn't preordered anything. He laughed at me and told me "good luck getting one! I just picked mine up at Gamestop and they said they wouldn't have any more until next week!". I got in my car, drove to Sears, where they had like 20, paid and drove back to work. The whole process took 30 minutes.

#27 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

I voted yes to see the results out of curiosity

#28 Edited by infectedhero (15 posts) -

Nope now i am just waiting.

#29 Edited by Budwyzer (576 posts) -

I voted yes to see the results out of curiosity

^

Waiting until the PS4 SLIM comes out and getting that one. It probably won't wobble. :P

#30 Edited by infectedhero (15 posts) -
#31 Posted by DocPorpoise (109 posts) -

After work (3-3:30pm) i went to a target that just opened a couple days ago by my place and the dude in electronics was unloading a card of PS4's into the cabinet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.