Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 18, 2012

Characters from various Sony franchises, and several guests from multi-platform games of the time. Battle it out in this crossover platform fighting game intended to compete with Nintendo's Super Smash Bros.!

If it was exactly like Smash Bros...

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By senorfuzzeh

I honestly wouldn't care. Infact, I'd enjoy it. Smash Bros did this type of gameplay almost flawlessly. And I feel like if All-Stars tries to mess with it too much it'll per robably not be as fun oir too slow and no one will be happy with it. So Why not be just like Smash Bros? They're already ripping off the concept enough so may aswell take the same gameplay mechanics.

It'd pretty much be Smash Bros with a brand new roster of more serious characters. Which I openly accept.

I know some people really want them to be "Original" but We've already gone passed the point of original. Its just my opinion though. No bashing please :)

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By alternate

Nintendo lawyers might have something to say if it is that close. Nothing they can do about "mascot based fighter" but a lot of the mechanics will be protected.

Triff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Triff

It's rare a game released nowadays is completely original. I'll rate the game on merit alone when it comes out. Worst case scenario is that we have an impresssive looking Smash Brothers clone with one thing SSB doesn’t have: a solid online system.

Kokoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Kokoro

Yeah, I wouldn't care either. I mean, really, what game is original these days? Certainly not very many of them. This being a "clone" of Super Smash Bros. is not a bad thing at all. It's a good thing. I wanted to see more games like that.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By shaunk

Smash Bros Melee did a nice twist on the fighting game genre. So did the entire series, nothing wrong with copying that. After all, there are other more commonly adapted game mechanics.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LikeaSsur

@alternate said:

Nintendo lawyers might have something to say if it is that close. Nothing they can do about "mascot based fighter" but a lot of the mechanics will be protected.

I don't know. Onimusha: Blade Warriors seemed to make it out okay, and the only big difference was health bars instead of percentages.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

@LikeaSsur said:

@alternate said:

I don't know. Onimusha: Blade Warriors seemed to make it out okay, and the only big difference was health bars instead of percentages.

There are a number of Smash Bros.-style games that aren't quite the same. TMNT Smash-Up also used health bars. I don't think that the game will provoke Nintendo into filing a lawsuit.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Akrid

I'm hoping it'll be as similar as possible. I have little faith that Sony can improve upon the formula.

Avatar image for theworldbreaker
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Theworldbreaker

I dont want it to be that clsoe to SSMB, i mean really this si a SONY game we are talking about not a Nintendo game. SSB is a perfect example of a NINTENDO game but it just won't feel right for a Sony game with Sony characters.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TentPole

I feel this is both humorous and relevant.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By azteris

@TentPole said:

I feel like it's actually more of an indictment of the way YouTube tags work than anything else.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel

@Azteris said:

@TentPole said:

I feel like it's actually more of an indictment of the way YouTube tags work than anything else.

Well, it's not like the tags are auto-generated, are they? It would have had to have been a conscious decision to tag the video as they did.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By dichemstys

This game looks pretty cool, I didn't expect to care whatsoever but it looks neat.

sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14  Edited By sopachuco13

I figure if Nintendo isn't going to do it right, somebody else has to do it for them (i.e. Darksiders).

This looks good, but I think Nintendo still has a leg up with the classic nature of their characters. With Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. you are getting more than a fun fighting game, you are getting nostalgia. I like the cast of characters that Sony has brought to the table, but those characters just don't have the pop culture cred. that a character like Mario has. I know a lot more people who would wear a t-shirt with Mario or Link but not so many people who would wear one with Nathan Drake or Sweet Tooth (irony aside).

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Jimbo
    @alternate said:

Good luck protecting game mechanics.
    ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ExplodeMode

The game looks cool because I like smash. If it didn't look like a copy I probably wouldn't care about it. It's shameless, but what if they actually make it work? What if it's really good? What if it's better? I'll give them a shot.

@Jimbo said:

@alternate said:

I invented aim at head and pull trigger. Pay up jerks.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I don't think anyone will dispute the fact that the game has potential to be fun, some of the more questionable mechanics aside; it's more about how shamelessly it emulates Smash Bros. It's not like I'm going to go on a rage-fueled tirade against Sony for making the game, but DAMN was watching the original reveal video incredibly uncomfortable. But whatever, I don't have to buy it. And I'm not going to if their idea of a big character reveal is a Big Daddy. That was anti-climactic.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Drebin_893

If it doesn't have the percentages, it's just not that similar to Smash Brothers.

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By innacces14

@GunslingerPanda said:

But whatever, I don't have to buy it. And I'm not going to if their idea of a big character reveal is a Big Daddy. That was anti-climactic.

It absolutely was anti-climactic. I feel that part of the problem was that Big Daddy is a visceral entity that drills the guts out of anything that says "no" to it, but we're not going to see anything like that because of the characters in the roster that come from rated T games and below.

This also is my main guff with the game. Putting group A (characters like Sweet Tooth, Kratos, Big Daddy, and Nathan Drake) in the same room as group B (Fat Princess, Parappa, and Sly Cooper) kind of robs any hard hitting impact group A could make while that same group robs any whimsical appeal group B brings to the table. If group A were in a game that had the same regards to censorship as MK9 had then I would be all for it. Part of the magic that Super Smash Bros brought was taking Disney quality characters and giving them ridiculous weight to their attacks (Falcon Punch, Green Missile, Game & Watch's Side Special). I don't think this game has a Falcon Punch.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@innacces14: Eh, I thought the way they worked Solid Snake into Brawl was a good blueprint for how to adapt less whimsical characters into such a fighter.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Sayishere

They need crash bandicoot in there, seriously.

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By innacces14

@CrossTheAtlantic: But do you know what the blueprint was? Here it is.

That one moment brought enough light-hearted humor to bring Snake down to Nintendo's barrier of entry. I doubt it was even that hard. Kojima was always partial to humorous endings for all MGS trailers so going through the meeting on how they were going to introduce him to the franchise was probably as easy as Ninja Gaiden 3.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

There was A Ninja Turles Smash Bros clone on the Wii a few years. It was awful. If Sony can keep the spirit of the genre and offer enough variety in the characters and mechanics, I think they could kill with this game. We'll just have to wait and see though, I think this is the type of game that we won't really know if it's worth a crap or not until it's in the general population for a few days.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Jimbo said:

@alternate said:

Well, K.C. Munchkin! set a legal precedent for copyrighting video game mechanics, or at least something along those lines.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.