Kat and Emmett to be added as DLC... FOR FREE

#1 Edited by ESREVER (2693 posts) -

As the topic suggests, both Kat (from Gravity Rush) and Emmett Graves(from Starhawk) will be DLC for Sony's Playstation All Stars: Battle Royale. They are to be added to the roster in 2013 for the awesome price of free for the first two weeks. After the two week window, I assume you'll have to pay for them, and I don't know how much they will be.

Source here from the PSBlog.

This is awesome news. I was on the fence about this title. I played the beta, and like many others, felt there was just no soul in the game. With questionable mechanics and an odd choice of UI, I wasn't quite sold on the game just yet. However, its great to see they'll still be adding characters to the roster post launch. I absolutely adore Kat. She's probably one of my favorite new characters from this year. Don't really have much love for Emmett. I haven't played Starhawk yet, but I'm sure his moveset will bring some interesting variety to the game.

All this post launch DLC stuff gets me excited for the possibility of Selvaria turning up in the roster.

I might just have to get this now. They seem to adding a lot of value to the package. Free version of the Vita version when you buy the ps3 one at no additional cost is an awesome thing.

Update: The DLC characters will also have their own stories and rivalries(?) in single player mode.

Do DLC characters have single player stories? are these 2 rivals?
Yes, happy to say both Kat and Emmett have full story modes complete with rivalry cinematically. Are they rivals? Hmmm… - Seth Killian from the PSBlog

Update: Some new info on the new dlc characters as well as a teasing of a new stage with Heavenly Sword and Wipeout elements.

Update: A release date for Kat and Emmett has been announced. They will be on PSN on February 12th, and they will be free for the first two weeks.The new stage, Fearless, will also be out sometime in February, but that is not free.

Here's a character trailer for Kat:

And one for Emmett:

Some screenshots of Kat in action:

Screenshots of Emmett in action:

The new stage, dubbed "Fearless" :

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19353 posts) -

Oh crap, I'm kinda surprised they'd bother adding the story mode stuff for the DLC characters. That's pretty neat, actually.

I'm most excited for Kat, but it's great that they're going to offer these first two characters for free.

#3 Posted by TheHT (11373 posts) -

i'm usually concerned when specific dlc is announced BEFORE the damn game's even out, but goddamn, people just would not stop asking about dlc for this game. even back before the whole roster was leaked.

anyways, they both seem like potentially interesting characters to play as. looking forward to it!

#4 Posted by Yummylee (21761 posts) -

Thought that was going to be Kat from the DmC game, considering that NT Dante is already in there.

#5 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -
#6 Posted by StarvingGamer (8283 posts) -

Hmmm, HMMM, I am really on the fence with this game.

HMMMMMMMMMMM...

#7 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

playing the beta was so frustrating. i really wasn't digging the supers system.

#8 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

Emmett has that middle eastern vibe going on. Just an observation.

#9 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1740 posts) -

I feel like I'm the only person in the world that actually played Starhawk. Emmett isn't really a very interesting character...

#10 Posted by coakroach (2491 posts) -

The Emmett Graves?

#11 Posted by BisonHero (6565 posts) -

If only it were Emmett Brown.

#12 Posted by Eidderf (507 posts) -

This seemed like a fun multiplayer game from what I played at Eurogamer, reminded me a lot of smash bros obviously (I know how you KO guys is different, more just how it felt and kind of looked) I kind of wish I had a PS3 so I could pick it up, glad they are supporting it with free dlc to encourage others to get it though.

#13 Posted by thebatmobile (981 posts) -

Who?

#14 Posted by ESREVER (2693 posts) -

Playstation updated their blog with more info explaining the fight style of the new characters, as well as teasing a new stage.

Personally, I think Kat's style seems pretty cool so far. She doesn't get a double jump due to her gravity shift abilities. She seems like my style of character, always in the air attacking aerially.

The new stage looks pretty rad too. One of the better ones that's for sure. Having a Wipeout race going on in the background and weapons from the vehicles hitting the stage sounds like a pretty crazy "hazard" to avoid.

I updated the original post with screenshots and a link to the blog post.

#15 Posted by advocatefish (358 posts) -

New stage looks freaking DOPE. The characters can be interesting, though Emmett couldn't look more generic.

#16 Posted by Maitimo (203 posts) -

It felt like an oversight not to have a character representing the Vita, so I'm glad Kat's in and seems to play like a character I'd be interested in using. These're certainly not the worst character picks we've had.

#17 Posted by rockyhorrorgerri (374 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

If only it were Emmett Brown.

Ha.

#18 Posted by Shortbreadtom (795 posts) -

Wait, wait, wait... you don't mean the Emmett Graves, from that classic Sony franchise Starhawk!

Way to dig into that back catalog.

#19 Edited by ESREVER (2693 posts) -

A release date for Kat and Emmett has been announced. They will be on PSN on February 12th, and they will be free for the first two weeks.The new stage, Fearless, will also be out sometime in February, but that is not free.

Here's a character trailer for Kat:

And one for Emmett:

(video embed is not working)

#20 Posted by TheHT (11373 posts) -

They all look awesome! Especially the new level.

#21 Posted by Sterling (2359 posts) -

For a minute I thought Kat was Katja from the walking dead. Now I am disappointed.

#22 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

Embedding is fine for me, here are the videos: 

I'm disappointed that the levels won't be free. If anything those are the most important things to make free to avoid splintering the community. I'm still having a shit ton of fun with this game kicking ass and taking names with Jak and Daxter. Here's to hoping some of these people make it into the game.
#23 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19353 posts) -

DLC's up, by the way...

#24 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3445 posts) -
#25 Edited by handlas (2685 posts) -

Thanks for the bump. Completely forgot about this. Certainly came out with no fanfare. Didn't notice it mentioned on the PS Blog... must of been tucked away in the update post. Really looking forward to playing as Kat.

#26 Posted by handlas (2685 posts) -

I downloaded them on the Vita... umm how the hell do you play with them? They aren't on the character select menu at all.

#27 Posted by DarkShaper (1338 posts) -

@handlas: Try re-downloading, after I downloaded them the where just there, on the PS3 at least.

#28 Edited by handlas (2685 posts) -

@darkshaper: hummm nope. Re-downloaded them (and it installs). Still nothing. They don't show up any character select screen on the Vita. Strange, haven't seen anyone else having issues unless no one d/led them on Vita.

edit: Okay, there is an update to the game that I never downloaded. That's why. Thought the games just update automatically when you start them. Guess you have to click on an icon before starting up the game on the Vita... lol 400 minutes guess I won't be playing this tonight.

#29 Posted by BamSaidTheLady (89 posts) -

Kat seems pretty fun and easy to play for me. Haven't tried Emmett but nothing about him seems really appealing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.