Nathan Drake and Bioshock's Big Daddy added to the character list

#1 Posted by TurboMan (7546 posts) -

I think Nathan Drake was a given, but I'm glad that Sony isn't afraid to branch out a bit and get an awesome character like Big Daddy into the game.

Is this enough to get anyone else as excited as I am? I still think it's an awful title, but I've been waiting for a Sony-themed SSB game for a long time.

#2 Posted by Hailinel (24830 posts) -

Wait, a Big Daddy? From Bioshock?

Really? They're putting a multi-platform character with no specific ties to the PlayStation brand or Sony in general in the game?

#3 Posted by Zealousadonis (133 posts) -

Not only are there no specific ties, but the PS3 was also the last system to get the original Bioshock. I think it was over a year after it came out on PC and 360. But big daddies are awesome so it's great they'll be in the game. It's also really telling about how open the spectrum of third party characters can end up being. There could be some interesting potential here.

#4 Edited by Azteris (810 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Really? They're putting a multi-platform character with no specific ties to the PlayStation brand or Sony in general in the game?

I really do feel if this is one of those damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situations. The obvious first party characters are treated as boring and unsurprising, and unexpected third-party additions are all of a sudden ridiculed. Then again, this is an internet forum.

EDIT: On topic, both additions sound great, although I'm a bit more excited to see Big Daddy's moveset.

#5 Posted by Skyfire543 (691 posts) -

@Azteris: I bet he'll be like Bowser in SSB. Super slow but damn powerful.

#6 Posted by President_Barackbar (3462 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

I think the ONLY tie that Bioshock has to Sony at all is that they did those exclusive challenge levels for the PS3 version of the first one, so yeah its super out of place.
#7 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -

@Azteris said:

@Hailinel said:

I really do feel if this is one of those damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situations. The obvious first party characters are treated as boring and unsurprising, and unexpected third-party additions are all of a sudden ridiculed. Then again, this is an internet forum.

EDIT: On topic, both additions sound great, although I'm a bit more excited to see Big Daddy's moveset.

yeah, but wasn't bioshock released on the PS3 like months after? It's a really weird choice. Someone like Chell, or even a MK guy would make more sense considering both games had features the 360 version did not have.

#8 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -

Eh, I dunno. I'm all for it. The crazier the better which is what this game needs.

#9 Posted by Azteris (810 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Azteris said:

@Hailinel said:

yeah, but wasn't bioshock released on the PS3 like months after? It's a really weird choice. Someone like Chell, or even a MK guy would make more sense considering both games had features the 360 version did not have.

Not only is that logic boring and irrelevant to me, but even by it you're still wrong. As noted, the PS3 version had exclusive challenge levels. Which is a semantic little checkbox, if that's what mattered to you about the roster. I'll be busy worrying if they're fun to play or what their supers will be.

#10 Posted by Andorski (5310 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Azteris said:

@Hailinel said:

Didn't Kevin Levine say at E3 last year that Irrational was making a Bioshock game for the Vita?

#11 Posted by Hailinel (24830 posts) -

@Azteris said:

@Hailinel said:

I just don't see this as a good sign. The Super Smash Bros. series didn't have any third-party guests until Brawl (Solid Snake and Sonic). But Snake had been in a game co-developed by Nintendo (Twin Snakes) and Sonic was popularly asked for because of his status as the primary rival mascot of Mario. In that sense, it made sense for their inclusion after two games of strictly Nintendo characters. But either Sony isn't diving deep enough into their well to pull out characters from their roster or the options they consider the most viable are already drying up.

#12 Posted by Azteris (810 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Azteris said:

@Hailinel said:

I just don't see this as a good sign. The Super Smash Bros. series didn't have any third-party guests until Brawl (Solid Snake and Sonic). But Snake had been in a game co-developed by Nintendo (Twin Snakes) and Sonic was popularly asked for because of his status as the primary rival mascot of Mario. In that sense, it made sense for their inclusion after two games of strictly Nintendo characters. But either Sony isn't diving deep enough into their well to pull out characters from their roster or the options they consider the most viable are already drying up.

You feel that it's reasonable to worry that Sony is running out of character ideas because the 7th or so character reveal just happened to be a third-party character? Even after that's what people asked about when they revealed all firsty party characters in the trailer? Or do you just want to cast doubt? Because that all it seems like.

#13 Posted by N7 (3589 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

@Azteris said:

@Hailinel said:

They already said there were going to be third-party guest characters. I don't see the problem.
#14 Posted by Hailinel (24830 posts) -

@N7 said:

@Hailinel said:

@Azteris said:

@Hailinel said:

They already said there were going to be third-party guest characters. I don't see the problem.

Meh. Well, it's hard for me to get really psyched about this game to begin with. Sony's first-party characters have never really been favorites of mine, and that they're gung-ho on including third-party characters at this stage just doesn't strike me as a good thing.

#15 Posted by TurboMan (7546 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Azteris said:

@Hailinel said:

There options aren't "drying up". They still have all their mascots from PS2 to pick and choose from (Ratchet, Clank, Quark, Jak, Daxter, Sly, Bentley), all the PSone characters (Crash Bandicoot, Spyro?, Ape Escape, any Final Fantasy character), and a bunch of obvious PS3 choices.

#16 Posted by Hailinel (24830 posts) -

@TurboMan said:

@Hailinel said:

@Azteris said:

@Hailinel said:

There options aren't "drying up". They still have all their mascots from PS2 to pick and choose from (Ratchet, Clank, Quark, Jak, Daxter, Sly, Bentley), all the PSone characters (Crash Bandicoot, Spyro?, Ape Escape, any Final Fantasy character), and a bunch of obvious PS3 choices.

Well, we don't know who's in or out, but that they're already saying, "Yo, we have a Big Daddy in our game!" seems a little desperate. And I'd be shocked if Square Enix gave Sony the greenlight to use a Final Fantasy character in this game.

#17 Posted by TurboMan (7546 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@N7 said:

@Hailinel said:

@Azteris said:

@Hailinel said:

Meh. Well, it's hard for me to get really psyched about this game to begin with. Sony's first-party characters have never really been favorites of mine, and that they're gung-ho on including third-party characters at this stage just doesn't strike me as a good thing.

It's E3. Nobody will start talking about the game if they just kept announcing obvious characters. Remember when Snake was announced for SSB Brawl?

#18 Posted by StarvingGamer (8245 posts) -

@Hailinel: You seem to be overflowing with negativity about this game :'(

If you ask me, the more companies that get involved with this sort of game the better. Fuck, bring on Chell. Make her portal her opponents to the Moon as her super. I'm a genius. Give me million bucks.

#19 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -

@Azteris said:

@Animasta said:

@Azteris said:

@Hailinel said:

Not only is that logic boring and irrelevant to me, but even by it you're still wrong. As noted, the PS3 version had exclusive challenge levels. Which is a semantic little checkbox, if that's what mattered to you about the roster. I'll be busy worrying if they're fun to play or what their supers will be.

I just said it was weird no need to get angry about it

#20 Posted by Hailinel (24830 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

If you ask me, the more companies that get involved with this sort of game the better. Fuck, bring on Chell. Make her portal her opponents to the Moon as her super. I'm a genius. Give me million bucks.

I've had a very long weekend filled with overtime and fatigue, but that's not really an excuse. I'm just...I am not psyched for this game at all.

#21 Posted by TurboMan (7546 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

One of the backdrops of the game is Glados, and she's constantly trying to poison sections of the game space while telling Kratos how much weight he's put on since God of War 2.

I want million bucks too!

#22 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

I could see Cloud in this game

#23 Posted by Hunter5024 (5686 posts) -

I think all of this talk about Big Daddy not really feeling like a sony character is pretty pointless. SSB had Sonic in it and I thought that was pretty cool (in concept, I hated how he fought). Maybe Big Daddy does feel more like a Microsoft character, but that's kind of awesome because then you can have a microsoft vs sony fight. I really like what they're doing with the lineup so far.

#24 Posted by blueinferno (452 posts) -

I don't see how Big Daddy is any more out of place in PlayStation All-Stars then Snake was in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Sounds like a good addition to me, the weirder the better right?

#25 Posted by Kierkegaard (592 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Got it. You aren't personally interested. Other comments now have context.

Anyway, while I am not a fighting game person by any stretch, color me intrigued. Maybe I've never gotten into these games because I don't give a shit about the characters. With PS2 and PS3 my only consoles, this might just pull me in. And I really like that they are going outside the murderers row of characters. Sticking to exclusives is less important than having cool stages and characters to bounce off each other. A multiplatform battle royale between all the big console characters would be great. Maybe this could lead to that.

#26 Posted by probablytuna (3666 posts) -

I have a feeling this came from some sort of deal with the Bioshock Infinite thing, how the first Bioshock is bundled with the PS3 version of Infinite and Vita getting its own Bioshock game. I don't know, just a feeling.

#27 Posted by hoossy (934 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

They put Solid Snake in Smash brothers..

#28 Posted by Village_Guy (2579 posts) -

Really? I've always felt that the Big Daddy was more of a Microsoft character than a Sony character for some reason.

This is probably good news, now the possibility for more third party characters is open. Open the flood gates!

Now throw in a Boy and his Blob, Goro, the Dragonborn and Gordon Freeman. And we got ourselves a deal Sony.

I bet you thought I was talking about a different Goro!

#29 Posted by KelpPlankton (52 posts) -

This really blows the doors wide open in terms of who else might get into the game. Really crazy stuff is now much more reasonable.

#30 Posted by Hailinel (24830 posts) -

@hoossy said:

@Hailinel said:

Solid Snake was in a game co-developed by Nintendo.

#31 Posted by katanalauncher (215 posts) -

Nathan Drake is the most predictable and also the most boring character(Ok, maybe not as much as killzone guy) to be in the game.

#32 Posted by WMoyer83 (643 posts) -

I enjoyed Smash Bros but I was not really into the Nintendo characters. This game is more up my alley.

#33 Posted by Sarumarine (2244 posts) -

I bet the Big Daddy's super is a golf club. Heh heh.

I assume the character model they're using is the Bouncer Big Daddy and not the Rosie or other design. It would be cool if they let you toggle that stuff.

#34 Posted by 49th (2758 posts) -

I don't give a flying fuck which company Big Daddy is from, I think it's a cool addition and will make the roster more varied. Hell, add Batman to this this game, that would be bad ass.

#35 Posted by Balex1908 (143 posts) -

Why are people so upset that a third party character appears in this game? Does this mess with the lore of the game or something? This game is just supposed to be fun nothing more nothing less.

As far as I am concerned put Ezio, John Marston and Sheppard in there. Its better than having some obscure characters from JRPGS no one cares about. It would also be a nice way to have every iconic character of this generation, which is coming to an end, in one game.

#36 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5263 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@hoossy said:

@Hailinel said:

Solid Snake was in a game co-developed by Nintendo.

Ken Levine announced during Sony's 2011 E3 press conference that a BioShock game would be developed for PlayStation Vita, stating that it will be an original project for the handheld system.

During Sony's E3 press conference on June 6, 2011 creative director Ken Levine announced on-stage that BioShock Infinite will support the PlayStation Move.

#37 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

I think Sony should just go nuts and put every character they can in there 3rd party or not I mean the mascot fighter thing is never gonna happen because no one else does it other than Nintendo so what if you didn't grow up with Nintendo or don't care for those characters? All-Stars Battle Royale is the first time you'll see characters that you actually care about in a silly fighting game any other character they add is a plus in my book.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.