Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 18, 2012

Characters from various Sony franchises, and several guests from multi-platform games of the time. Battle it out in this crossover platform fighting game intended to compete with Nintendo's Super Smash Bros.!

New DLC: Zeus and Isaac Clarke (plus new stage)

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Zeus from God of War, Isaac Clarke from Dead Space and a new stage featuring MediEvil and The Unfinished Swan are coming as DLC for PlayStation All-Stars.

I thought Kat and Emmett might be the last first and last DLC characters released given the SuperBot trouble, but I guess not.

I don't really like playing this, but it's obvious when you look at the video that they put a lot of thought into the creation of their characters. Isaac's level 3, for example, is crazy.

IGN article

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Okay,this could be real neat if Sony keeps pumping out chars like this. Interested to see how Isaac plays. Also, dammit get Ryu Hayabusa! Kratos vs Dante vs Ryu would be awesome. :-P

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

Isaac Clarke? Another third-party character with no special PlayStation ties? Really?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Ah yes, that classic character from a Playstation franchise, Isaac Clarke. Who could forget.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: @bisonhero: It should be obvious to you guys by now that a major focus for the roster and backgrounds was to use them as a promotional tool for upcoming games.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BisonHero

@fluxwavez: Yeah, it is obvious, but I guess I still feel like giving them a hard time about it. Somehow Nintendo preying upon people's nostalgia doesn't seem nearly as crass as PASBR flagrantly promoting current and upcoming multiplatform games whose characters are not even close to beloved.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

At least they have some decent characters so far like Kat and Issac. I don't think anyone really cares for Emmett or Zeus.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@fluxwavez: I thought Kat and Emmett might be the last first and last DLC characters released given the SuperBot trouble, but I guess not.

Sony has said that Sony Santa Monica will be handling all future DLC of the title so we can expect a lot more DLC incoming.

D_Bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I downloaded Kat and Emmett but haven't popped the game back in to try them out. I enjoyed the game for the time I played it but it would take some really interesting characters or some of my faves to make me jump back in wholeheartedly (Kiryu anybody??).

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername said:

@fluxwavez: I thought Kat and Emmett might be the last first and last DLC characters released given the SuperBot trouble, but I guess not.

Sony has said that Sony Santa Monica will be handling all future DLC of the title so we can expect a lot more DLC incoming.

I know, I posted a thread about it. Doesn't mean that I was still expecting a stream of upcoming DLC.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername said:

I know, I posted a thread about it. Doesn't mean that I was still expecting a stream of upcoming DLC.

Well of course they'll keep DLC coming. I'm sure it sold enough to make a profit off making & selling DLC.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By DarkShaper

I still play All-Stars whenever I have friends around so I'm pumped for more DLC.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@awesomeusername said:

Well of course they'll keep DLC coming. I'm sure it sold enough to make a profit off making & selling DLC.

It sold like crap in Japan and it didn't sell well anywhere else either, which is why did Sony ended their relationship with SuperBot. Even if Santa Monica was said to plan further DLC, I wasn't expecting it because I didn't think the game was worth continued support. Obviously, they're at least going to bring out two more characters and a stage, so I guess it'll be interesting to see if they do some more afterwards.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

I'm glad Sony is digging deep into their library of memorable characters and pulling out a greek god and dead space guy.

I'll give Sony an idea for the next DLC for free: Blasto and Croc.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By MildMolasses

@hailinel: @bisonhero: It should be obvious to you guys by now that a major focus for the roster and backgrounds was to use them as a promotional tool for upcoming games.

I don't think that means that people still can't be critical about it. They finally made the game that Sony fans had been dreaming of, and instead of making it the fan service it should have been, it became an advertising tool.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mildmolasses: I guess, but at some point I think people need to let go. Then again, I tend to mention my frustration that it wasn't a better game a lot of the times the subject of PSAS comes up, so I guess that's hypocritical of me.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

Isaac Clarke is my favorite Sony character.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Nice, Isaac Clarke and another God of War character... I guess there's some slight relation between Dead Space and PlayStation since Dead Space 2's Limited Edition was packaged with Dead Space: Extraction for the PS3. But besides that it's kinda shitty that they're still pulling in even more third-party characters when one of the many criticisms levied at All-Stars was the lack of PlayStation fanservice.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isaac Clarke doesn't really fit the whole "Playstation All-Star", but then again neither does half of the roster.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluxwavez: I would like to point out that the article says the title is selling as Sony expected. Maybe the budget was small for the title so even if it's selling like shit, they probably made their money back. No one can know for sure though.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I'm bummed at their choice of characters but they look great and seem to play pretty differently from anyone on the roster. As othere have said, there are plenty of recognizable PlayStation people they could get from third parties, like Lightning, Aya Brea and Barry Burton. Seth mentioned that they wanted another heavy character like Big Daddy, but why get another God of War character? Why not think outside the box and make Papo from Papo y Yo a character? There is also no one from Heavy Rain and Resistance, and those two were some of Sony's biggest exclusives this gen. I really hope they give this game another chance and make a sequel in house with Sony Santa Monica focusing all their effort on this game instead of giving it to another B-Team who doesn't give the first shit about PlayStation.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I'm bummed at their choice of characters but they look great and seem to play pretty differently from anyone on the roster. As othere have said, there are plenty of recognizable PlayStation people they could get from third parties, like Lightning, Aya Brea and Barry Burton. Seth mentioned that they wanted another heavy character like Big Daddy, but why get another God of War character? Why not think outside the box and make Papo from Papo y Yo a character? There is also no one from Heavy Rain and Resistance, and those two were some of Sony's biggest exclusives this gen. I really hope they give this game another chance and make a sequel in house with Sony Santa Monica focusing all their effort on this game instead of giving it to another B-Team who doesn't give the first shit about PlayStation.

The key thing to remember is that SuperBot wasn't meant to be a B-team. They were a studio established by Sony specifically for the purpose of making this game. SuperBot had every reason to fill it with Sony-owned characters and franchises, or at least more well-regarded third-parties known primarily for the PlayStation brand. However, they completely dropped the ball in that regard, settling for a lackluster roster while the game itself is exactly what some feared it would be; another Smash Bros. clone that doesn't do enough of what Smash does well, and the new things it did try weren't good enough. It's a mediocre game that suffers from lack of imagination and ambition.

As Bisonhero said that doesn't really negate our criticism.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

This game really needs to hit $30 so I can buy it already!

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DarthOrange

@hailinel said:

@darthorange said:

The key thing to remember is that SuperBot wasn't meant to be a B-team. They were a studio established by Sony specifically for the purpose of making this game. SuperBot had every reason to fill it with Sony-owned characters and franchises, or at least more well-regarded third-parties known primarily for the PlayStation brand. However, they completely dropped the ball in that regard, settling for a lackluster roster while the game itself is exactly what some feared it would be; another Smash Bros. clone that doesn't do enough of what Smash does well, and the new things it did try weren't good enough. It's a mediocre game that suffers from lack of imagination and ambition.

While I disagree with the game being mediocre (I think the gameplay is fantastic) everything else you said is spot on. It was always embarrassing to see them do interviews and get so many basic PlayStation questions flat out wrong, like when Omar Kendall stated that Drake's level 3 was pulled from Uncharted 2, or when at a fighting game tournament they asked Clockwork what game the Chimera monster in the Time Station level was from and he said Killzone. Shit like that really pissed me off and showed that they had the wrong people making this game. They should have had at least one die hard PlayStation guy (fuck they had him and then decided to fire him) to oversee the project and tell them the characters they should include and little winks and nods to put in for the die hard Sony fans. Hell I said it months ago that the wrong people were making this game. I really hope this game is given a second chance with a developer that actually gives a shit.

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus, they're really reaching for characters now. Still, I suppose Isaac Clarke is still more sensible than a Big Daddy from the once xbox exclusive Bioshock.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Really... Zeus?

I love this game but Zeus is not really an inspired choice.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

- Bad Smash Bros clone check

- Includes bad characters from the PlayStation history instead of good ones check

- Uses third party characters and in Dante's case the new version of him which was never PlayStation exclusive, check

What a crock of shit.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isaac? lol

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

5 bucks per character is a bit steep. i haven't even used all the characters yet.

i really wish they would reach back more with the DLC characters. i never minded only 1/3rd of the roster being older ps characters and each gen of the playstation having more or less equal representation. but with zeus and isaac it's getting hard to ignore the whole "well that games are new that we can tie in to this game? another god of war and dead space game? perfect". give me some tomba or something.

i suppose isaac has some loose connection with sony but really only on a "some dudes in suits signed a contract and dead space 2 got extra shit on the ps3", which is not at all an endearing connection to be thinking of when looking at the game. but then again i wouldn't be thinking about much else besidest fighting when actually playing. zeus looks like he could be fun to play as. kat played great and starhawk guy was at least interesting, so it's nice to see they're giving some thought to these characters gameplay wise and not just rehashing old characters with a new model.

@sooty said:

- Bad Smash Bros clone check

it's really not a smash clone.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So any official date when this is out?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By Snail

Isaac? lol

I suppose it makes as much sense as Big Daddy being in that game.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Looks like they're coming out this week and pricing has been released. The two characters are going to be $4.99 each while the new stage is $1.99. All I can say is F'in RIP OFF I can understand $4.99 for both but each? Really? Gah...

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DarthOrange

Looks like pricing has been released, The two characters are going to be $4.99 each while the new stage is $1.99. All I can say is F'in RIP OFF I can understand $4.99 for both but each? Really? Gah...

Yea, they really are way too expensive. Have you seen how much they are charging for costumes? It is equally gross.

I got the characters for free with the voucher that came with God of War though so that is pretty neat.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@darthorange said:

@i_stay_puft said:

Looks like pricing has been released, The two characters are going to be $4.99 each while the new stage is $1.99. All I can say is F'in RIP OFF I can understand $4.99 for both but each? Really? Gah...

Yea, they really are way too expensive. Have you seen how much they are charging for costumes? It is equally gross.

I got the characters for free with the voucher that came with God of War though so that is pretty neat.

Saw something about that, was that with all GOW Ascensions or special promotion with a retail store?

- Just thought of something, to buy Isaac Clarke as a character in this game is the same exact price as Dead Space 1 or 2 full game on pc when it goes on sale on steam or Amazon.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: It only came with the collector edition. It was only $20 bucks more then the standard edition and came with the All-Star characters, the game soundtrack, the season pass for all future God of War DLC and an awkward looking Kratos statue. I figured "why not?"

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Played a little bit of Isaac Clarke story mode and online and I must say by far he's probably my least favorite character. Guy is slow and slumbering kinda like the Big Daddy character, which puts him at a major disadvantage at some of the more quicker combo based characters like Dante, Kratos and Raiden. I think he probably has the same power for his combo moves but his power ups feel weak. His level 1 seems pretty weak since I've probably only been able to land one multi kill with it. Pretty much you stasis the opponent and are given a finite amount of time to fire a second shot to kill them, if lucky you can get multiple kills with one hit if the other opposing player is close to or near the stasis character your blowing up. Level 2 and 3 were alright for what they were but that level 1 seems rather week compared to a Fat Princess who has an easy chance for 3 kills on a level 1. From my perspective Isaac wasn't worth the 5 bucks unless you're a die hard for the game.

cbarnes86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By cbarnes86

@enigma777: You're in luck, the game is gonna be a lot cheaper this week!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.