PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale is Sony's Super Smash Brothers

#51 Edited by Jrinswand (1695 posts) -

Ha! I was about to compliment OP on such a well-written post, but then realized that it was written by . LOL.

Anyway, I can't say this looks very interesting at all. Then again, I've never really been a fan of the Smash Bros. series. There are some hella weird character choices on the Playstation front though. Parappa the Rapper? I love Parappa the Rapper, but the last time he was in a video game was a decade ago. That's more than a bit of a stretch when Sony is presumably aiming towards a younger crowd. And if the game is aimed more towards kids, it might be a little problematic that Kratos is one of the main fighters in the game.

#52 Posted by 1p (760 posts) -

Did not expect it to resemble Smash Bros this much. Pretty blatant!

Still cautiously looking forward to it. At least it'll probably have good online, unlike Brawl.

#53 Posted by Video_Game_King (36026 posts) -

I'm guessing you wrote the blurb the way you did to fuck with people playing the "Patrick or Alex" game, right?

#54 Posted by papercut (3449 posts) -

@MisuseOfLasers said:

Man it would be the coolest if they could get Tomba in there somehow.

DUDE!

#55 Posted by Kete (51 posts) -

It just looks kind of bland, especially those stages.

#56 Posted by BoG (5181 posts) -

@stalefishies said:

@BoG said:

Well, I don't really doubt the qaulity, but I'm just not into it. I've mentioned this before. Something about the style just doesn't mesh as well as Super Smash Bros. I don't want to say the characters aren't as memorable, because this isn't true. Kratos is absolutely more popular than Ike. I guess it's simply that most Nintendo characters seem right for a mash up, whereas Kratos and some dude I don't care about from Killzone... don't quite fit.

To be honest, I think it's mainly down to art style. Most of the Nintendo characters go better together because their games have more stylised art styles, but when you're trying to match games with much more detailed, realistic graphics like God of War and Killzone with the stylised worlds of Parappa and LBP, the result just doesn't work so well. I mean, I've always thought Snake was a really weird fit for SSBB.

Agreed. We've got Nathan Drake, who exists in an imagined version of our own world. Then Parappa, who seems more at home next to Mario than Drake! I have to agree that Sanke was an odd fit, and it had nothing to do with his lack of appearances on Nintendo consoles. I think that, because he was the only character of his type and because Nintendo really changed his nature, it worked as good as it could have.

#57 Posted by Glottery (1109 posts) -

Not that I was counting hours to the announcement of this, but...still pretty dissapointed. Don't think it could've been anything less interesting, really.

#58 Posted by Detrian (1126 posts) -

Ah yes the great playstation characters like....................................................... maybe Solid Snake? I guess?

#59 Posted by BBAlpert (1372 posts) -

"Parappa is a character that people traditionally haven't seen doing much melee combat"

Chop Chop Master Onion would like a word with you, sir.

#60 Posted by kpaadet (409 posts) -

@cexantus said:

Looks so....meh.

While I could join on the "this looks like they just looked at SSMB and said, 'yeah, let's do that...BUT WITH SONY CHARACTERS!!!!' bandwagon, I'm mostly just flabbergasted as to why this is happening now. I mean, was anyone really asking for this?

If we only got games that were "asked" for, we would only get sequels. Consumers dont know what they want until its presented to them.

#61 Posted by adamfedoruk (216 posts) -

My Parappa is gonna distroy.

#62 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@Moncole said:

I felt like punching the guy when he said "God of War is the best looking game on the planet"

Console game, yes.

#63 Posted by Imensae (139 posts) -

@MmaFanQc said:

before the "oh my gawd its a blatant ripoff" comments begin,

The King of Fighters was released by SNK in 1994

Fighter's Megamix was released by Sega in 1996

X-Men vs Street Fighter was released by Capcom in 1996

But when Nintendo released Smash Brothers its like they invented the crossover fighting genre like Apple invented touchscreen smart phones.

This is an old tried and true genre and successful formula every major game development company should have.

after all, arent all the FPS games a blatant ripoff of Wolfenstein3D?

sure the gameplay is very VERY similar to ssb, but honestly its not a reason for the nintendo fans to go apeshit because the gameplay is similar.

..if the game is good and fun...whats the problem? ...and what if the game end up being better and more fun than ssb?

I think you might be missing the point. I don't think the people will be mad about it being of the same genre as SSB, it's the fact that everything from the HUD to the level design to the gameplay is ripped right out of it. Yes there were cross over fighters before SSB, but none of them to my knowledge looked like SSB, they looked like fighting games. I don't disagree with you that it could still be a good game, but it is seriously unoriginal.

#64 Posted by bearshamanbro (284 posts) -

Don't get the big deal about this being so close to Smash Brothers. It's not like this is a new phenomenon that nobody has seen happen before. GOW>Dante's Inferno, Final Fight>Street's of Rage, Street Fighter>Fatal Fury, Virtua Fighter>DOA, GTA>Saints Row, and this could go on and on. If they can take the concept and improve it, more power to them. It's not as if making a good game is as simple as copying the concept. They have a long read ahead of them to make it approach the quality of Smash Bros. With that said, there is no real competition for this game on PS3 so this game's existence makes a lot of sense to me.

#66 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@Moncole said:

I felt like punching the guy when he said "God of War is the best looking game on the planet"

A guy who works for Sony says a good looking Sony game looks good so...? chill out people I don't know why you're making such a big deal about this silly game that is trying to be a silly game.

#67 Posted by papercut (3449 posts) -

Does anyone else wish they had went with the SSB ring-out method instead of health bars? It would probably be too much like Smash after that but that is the only thing that is really bumming me out right now.

#68 Posted by sixpin (1286 posts) -

Feeling pretty ambivalent about this one. I'm not a big fan of Super Smash Bros. either though, so maybe I'm not the target here.

#69 Posted by Elod (76 posts) -

Seems like crash bandicoot would be the mario of this game yet he's MIA!

#70 Posted by probablytuna (3540 posts) -

Wasn't a huge fan of Smash Bros so probably won't be getting this.

#71 Posted by Moncole (636 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

@Moncole said:

Console game, yes.

He said best looking game not best looking console game. He should play Witcher 2.

#72 Posted by Alex (1973 posts) -

@habster3: This is what I get for barely sleeping the last two nights.

Staff
#73 Posted by JackSukeru (5904 posts) -

I know that the monkeys make more sense considering that they appear more consistently from game to game, but I'd still rather see a Ape Escape protagonist over them.

I also want that androgynous thing from Journey as well as Mr.Domino as a boss character.

#74 Posted by thevigilanteoflove (504 posts) -

I will play this game, regardless of its ripoff-ness. It still looks cool.

#75 Posted by Alex (1973 posts) -

@Jrinswand: YOU KNOW JUST BECAUSE IT'S ME DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN'T SAY NICE THINGS.

Staff
#76 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

Hell, I don't know why a dev hasn't just made up a game like this.  No need to use characters from past games, just make it fun.

#77 Posted by BoG (5181 posts) -

@ShaggyPolarBear said:

@BoG said:

Well, I don't really doubt the qaulity, but I'm just not into it. I've mentioned this before. Something about the style just doesn't mesh as well as Super Smash Bros. I don't want to say the characters aren't as memorable, because this isn't true. Kratos is absolutely more popular than Ike. I guess it's simply that most Nintendo characters seem right for a mash up, whereas Kratos and some dude I don't care about from Killzone... don't quite fit.

My big question: Will Snake show up in here? I'm talking about how characters "fit," and Snake definitely belongs among a Sony crowd more than a Nintendo crowd.

@MmaFanQc: I don't think anyone would call it a rip-off for being a character mash-up game. It would be that, combined with the clearly Smash Bros. inspired gameplay.

I think this is really important ^

This makes me realise I don't have as much an affinity/ attachment to Playstation characters as I do Nintendo characters - even though I'd much rather fire up my PS3 right now over my Wii.

Absolutely. I haven't turned my Wii on for months, and I play PS3 all the time. Perhaps only by virtue of being first, Nintendo characters are closer to my heart.

#78 Posted by LibrorumProhibitorum (335 posts) -

The cameraman must of been drunk or something.

#79 Posted by super2j (1654 posts) -

lol fat princess peach.

also snakes gotta be in this right???

also sly cooper repesent!!!

#80 Posted by adoggz (2043 posts) -

When I heard Sony was making a smash bros game I thought it was just shorthand for a fighting game with Sony characters not literally a smash bros game.

#81 Posted by Rmack (1075 posts) -

@MmaFanQc: I agree with the notion that "if it's good, who cares?," but this really can't be called anything but a rip-off. KoF was a three on three 2D team-based fighting game, setting up a new genre. Fighters Megamaix was a 3d one-on-one fighter that took characters from other fighting games and made it a bit more lighthearted, plus combined elements from Fighting Vipers with the characters from VF. X-Men vs Street Fighter was a 2d tag game, unlike anything else, with assists, tagging out mid-battle, double super moves, and an emphasis on aerial combos not yet seen before. What does this do differently from SSB aside from adding new characters? The game looks like a prank to me, like someone modded SSB, made Peach fat, and made Snake look like "dude from Killzone."

#82 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@papercut said:

@MisuseOfLasers said:

DUDE!

Oh god I wish, Tomba was awesome.

#83 Posted by Zaccheus (1788 posts) -

This is weird, right? Right?

#84 Posted by AuthenticM (3699 posts) -

I am super excited for this. :)

#85 Posted by Nasar7 (2606 posts) -

I wanna play as the Maiden in Black. That or a plague baby.

#86 Posted by Cyrisaurus (455 posts) -

I'm sick of all these butthurt Ninendo fans who can no longer use SSB as a reason why the Wii isn't worthless. Listen, just because Nintendo did it first, doesn't mean Playstation fans don't deserve this. I have been waiting forever for this game. Fuck you if you are against it. If anything, Sony is doing Nintendo a favor by providing competition, and thus giving Nintendo ways to improve the next SSB.

#87 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

@Alex: I was just pointing that out because no one else did :P It really didn't matter that much to me; I guess my tongue-in-cheek tone kind of got lost in translation in text form. Oh, and have I ever mentioned that you're awesome? Just saying.

Also, thanks for the quest; I used to get responses from staff members sometimes, but that was before the quest system launched :/

#88 Posted by ShawnS (162 posts) -

@MisuseOfLasers: it would be the perfect setup for the much-overdue return of Tomba! I was gonna say him too.

#89 Edited by Bobby_The_Great (1002 posts) -

Looks pretty fun to me. Also, if it has online play that's not ridiculously laggy, then it's already miles ahead of SSB. 

#90 Edited by frankiebeanz (176 posts) -

it needs a health bar and level knock off kills because without that its less tactical and you loose all of the tension of trying to stay alive and trying to stay on the level and then it just becomes hit hit hit without even thinking about what you're doing because you dont have the possibility of death coming from the wrong action.

#91 Posted by geekbot (110 posts) -

Um... no thanks?

#92 Posted by LegendaryChopChop (1172 posts) -

COLE FROM INFAMOUS

#93 Edited by cexantus (131 posts) -

@kpaadet: "we would only get sequels"

One could argue that, for the most part, that's the case (especially in the last couple of years.)

I just don't find anything worth getting excited over this. I think the problem has to be attributed to the fact that Sony's "mascots" lack the same presence than Nintendo's. I mean I'm not exactly frothing at the mouth over Nathan Drake fighting Fat Princess.

@Cyrisaurus: So.....calling butt-hurt fanboys out by being butt-hurt is totally not you being ironic, right?

#94 Posted by Abendlaender (2764 posts) -

If you could play as a system update, I would buy a new PS3 and this game

#95 Posted by Rmack (1075 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@papercut said:

@MisuseOfLasers said:

DUDE!

Oh god I wish, Tomba was awesome.

I was blown the fuck away when I first saw Tomba on a PlayStation Underground disc that let me WATCH VIDEOS ON MY COMPUTER!!!

#96 Posted by Dain22 (312 posts) -

I love the idea that they're mashing up various licenses to make the levels! Patapon vs. Hades looked great! Can anyone else figure out the other levels they showed? I'm not very familiar with Sony's IPs.

#97 Posted by DrifterInGreen (49 posts) -

What’s the point in not announcing Jak or Ratchet but clearly showing their stages?

That said I find it weird that the Jak stage is based off the Precursor Legacy and the Ratchet stage looks like the original game too (Blackwater City vibe I think).

#98 Posted by cexantus (131 posts) -

I'm sure it'll be a fun trip through Sony memory lane, but the way Sony is trotting this out as some premiere AAA (heh, do people even use that term anymore?) game, it's hard not to be underwhelmed.

#99 Edited by hermes (1376 posts) -

This is weird... Nintendo characters don't exist on the same realm as Playstation exclusives.

Exclusivity for Sony has always been because its consoles were more popular than the competition on each generation. Their 1st party studio has never been as prolific as their 3rd party support (even now that they bought a bunch of studios). That makes thinking about character that could fit in this game extra hard, since many candidates (like Snake, Heihachi, Spiro and Crash) are no longer exclusives.

EDIT: A few character I would be surprised if they do NOT use them: Nathan Drake, Jak, Cole McGrath, Ratchet, Chimera, Sackboy and Sir Fortesque...

#100 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

Yep, couldn't be more rip-offier. The Killzone guy's special is literally Snake's Final Smash.
Which makes me wonder if Snake will be in this... and if he is if he'll have the same(ish) moveset.

Also, did Smash Bros sound this goddamn cheesy and exploitative when they first announced it way back when? I was too young to think that having Mario and Link fight was not cool and could potentially not be amazing. Thankfully, Nintendo nailed it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.