So who else do think would make a decent Smash Bros knock off?

#1 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

So I was watching the Happy Action TV Quick Look and I couldn't help thinking to myself "Man I would love to see Double Fine Smash Bros".

Just picture this: Raz (Psychonauts) Vs Eddie Riggs (Brutal Legend) Vs Hobo King (Stacking) Vs Dubstep DJ Warrior Boom Box Head Man (H.A.T.V)

So my question is, who do you think has the best lineup for a Smash Bros knock off? Not just the biggest number of characters, but the most varied and interesting, and if not a brawler then what else? An RPG with Valve characters could be really cool.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Square-Enix. Dissidia is too limited to count.

#3 Posted by GunstarRed (5208 posts) -

Sega probably. Even if they mistreat all of their old characters there's a really good and varied set of characters as shown in the tennis/racing games. If there was a game where I could repeatedly punch Ecco in the face I'd be there day one.

#4 Posted by Hunter5024 (5702 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Square-Enix. Dissidia is too limited to count.

True, but if Dissidia's battle system is any indication I don't think they know how to make a fighting game any fun.

#5 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Square-Enix. Dissidia is too limited to count.

Final Fantasy Vs Hitman Vs Deus EX Vs Tomb Raider. I'm sold.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@jonnyboy said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Square-Enix. Dissidia is too limited to count.

Final Fantasy Vs Hitman Vs Deus EX Vs Tomb Raider.

Vs Dragon Quest Vs Mystic Ark Vs Live a Live Vs Parasite Eve Vs Kingdom Hearts Vs Treasure of the Rudras Vs Planet Laika....

#7 Posted by LTSmash (629 posts) -

The easy/obvious/boring answer is probably Capcom. The fun answer is Blizzard.

#8 Posted by natedawg_kz (234 posts) -

Imagine an Xbox version, it would be Dom from Gears, Master Chief and a car from Forza Lol.

#9 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11126 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@jonnyboy said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Square-Enix. Dissidia is too limited to count.

Final Fantasy Vs Hitman Vs Deus EX Vs Tomb Raider.

Vs Dragon Quest Vs Mystic Ark Vs Live a Live Vs Parasite Eve Vs Kingdom Hearts Vs Treasure of the Rudras Vs Planet Laika....

Vs Just Cause Vs Sleeping Dogs...

Moderator
#10 Posted by Hailinel (24961 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Square-Enix. Dissidia is too limited to count.

True, but if Dissidia's battle system is any indication I don't think they know how to make a fighting game any fun.

I thought it was pretty fun, and it did well with representing the Final Fantasy series. And it was certainly a much more creative effort on their part than pulling a Smash Bros. clone out of their collective ass.

Online
#11 Posted by kindgineer (2733 posts) -

I'd imagine Microsoft throwing into the fray, or maybe a movie fighter? I mean, you can't really get more robust and expansive than throwing the entire movie library into the fray. The main characters that are unlocked from the start could be iconic movie characters like Clockwork Orange Guy (never watched it), Predator, Xenomorph, some Pixar guys. Hell, the list goes on forever.

#12 Posted by Irvandus (2880 posts) -

Blizzard

#13 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

Blizzard could be really cool.

#14 Posted by Hunter5024 (5702 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@jonnyboy said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Square-Enix. Dissidia is too limited to count.

Final Fantasy Vs Hitman Vs Deus EX Vs Tomb Raider.

Vs Dragon Quest Vs Mystic Ark Vs Live a Live Vs Parasite Eve Vs Kingdom Hearts Vs Treasure of the Rudras Vs Planet Laika....

Vs Just Cause Vs Sleeping Dogs...

Vs Chrono Vs Star Ocean Vs Space Invaders...

#15 Edited by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Capcom.

#16 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@jonnyboy said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Square-Enix. Dissidia is too limited to count.

Final Fantasy Vs Hitman Vs Deus EX Vs Tomb Raider.

Vs Dragon Quest Vs Mystic Ark Vs Live a Live Vs Parasite Eve Vs Kingdom Hearts Vs Treasure of the Rudras Vs Planet Laika....

Vs Just Cause Vs Sleeping Dogs...

Vs Chrono Vs Star Ocean Vs Space Invaders...

Vs Terranigma Vs Ogre Battle Vs King's Knight Vs Glory of Heracles Something Else Vs Rad Racer Vs 3D World Runner...

#17 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Everything should be Vs Rad Racer. Somebody get Squeenix on the phone.

#18 Posted by Hailinel (24961 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@jonnyboy said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Square-Enix. Dissidia is too limited to count.

Final Fantasy Vs Hitman Vs Deus EX Vs Tomb Raider.

Vs Dragon Quest Vs Mystic Ark Vs Live a Live Vs Parasite Eve Vs Kingdom Hearts Vs Treasure of the Rudras Vs Planet Laika....

Vs Just Cause Vs Sleeping Dogs...

Vs Chrono Vs Star Ocean Vs Space Invaders...

Vs Terranigma Vs Ogre Battle Vs King's Knight Vs Glory of Heracles Vs Rad Racer Vs 3D World Runner...

Technically, Glory of Heracles isn't a Square Enix franchise.

Online
#19 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Square-Enix. Dissidia is too limited to count.

Only if everything Eidos and IO is roped into that too. Also Wei Shen.

#20 Posted by Irvandus (2880 posts) -

Actually I change my mind, I want Bioware X Blizzard.

#21 Edited by Doppelgamer (320 posts) -

Either Sega or Capcom. Forced to choose, I might say Sega, but only because we've had plenty of Capcom characters in fighting games before. (Though not in a Super Smash Bros. style.)

Series / Games from/Published by Sega:

  • Sonic
  • Streets of Rage
  • Phantasy Star (Original series & Online)
  • Golden Axe
  • Shinobi
  • Toe Jam & Earl
  • Eternal Champions
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Shenmue
  • Shining (Shining Force, Shining in the Darkness, etc...)
  • Skies of Arcadia
  • Super Monkey Ball
  • Monster World
  • Comix Zone
  • Beyond Oasis / Legend of Oasis
  • Landstalker / Dark Savior
  • Space Harrier
  • Kid Chameleon
  • Bonanza Bros.
  • Space Channel 5
  • Alex Kidd
  • Crazy Taxi
  • Panzer Dragoon
  • Ecco the Dolphin (In some sort of suit?)
  • Chakan
  • Total War (Empire: Total War, etc...)
  • Alien Syndrome
  • Flicky

    Also, if Treasure was fine with it:
  • Guardian Heroes
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Alien Soldier
  • Dynamite Headdy

Sounds like plenty of material to work with, but even with all their collections, a lot of younger gamers won't recognize a lot of these.

#22 Posted by Butano (1740 posts) -

Marvel, DC, and Disney.

#23 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

@Doppelgamer: Looking at that lot and thinking about the way Sega has done business for the last few years, I'm amazed we haven't see a Sega Smash Brothers Game already.

#24 Posted by Seroth (721 posts) -

Capcom. Finally a Capcom "fighter" I might not suck at!

#25 Edited by MocBucket62 (1234 posts) -
@Doppelgamer: Heh, I would like a proper Sega Smash Bros game one day. Don't think they'll ever make one though considering the state of Sega now a days. However, Sega has made a crossover fighter before in 1995 called Fighter Megamix, but its not at all what you'd expect it to be. The final boss is the HORNET CAR FROM DAYTONA USA!!! That's fucked up and awesome at the same time!!!  
#26 Posted by Nottle (1915 posts) -

Sega and Capcom are the most obvious choices. These older japanese companies have a whole lot of old franchises with unique settings and character something that can't really be said with most companies today. Both companies have well known fighting franchises along with a whole lot of other types of games. Imagine playing as Seaman or a Monkey Ball Monkey.

#27 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

Not gonna lie. I LOVED the beta

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.