Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 18, 2012

Characters from various Sony franchises, and several guests from multi-platform games of the time. Battle it out in this crossover platform fighting game intended to compete with Nintendo's Super Smash Bros.!

Sony Breaks Ties With PlayStation All-Stars Developer

• 81 results
    DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#51  Edited By DarthOrange
    @WesternWizard said:

@casper_ said:

i think they employed both seth killian and clockwork. i hope everything turns out alright for everybody involved.

Pretty sure Killian works for Santa Monica not super bot. Clock, howver, does work directly for the dev as a community manager last I knew.

Yea Seth was always clear in interviews that he works for Sony Santa Monica and was simply overseeing All-Stars. I can see Clockwork getting shit canned though as having a community manager is probably not a priority for them right now. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#52  Edited By Hailinel

@Dagbiker said:

@galloughs said:

And nothing of value was lost.

Except peoples jobs, and potentially more games and innovation in game mechanics, but yes. Beside that worthless crap, nothing of value.

I have all the sympathy in the world for those that lost their jobs, but what Superbot produced was in no way innovative.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By I_smell

but what about more DLC where I can download the main guy from the PSP version of Resistance- or the protagonist of LAIR?
    Will we ever see the Sports Champions DLC level?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Hailinel

@I_smell said:

but what about more DLC where I can download the main guy from the PSP version of Resistance- or the protagonist of LAIR? Will we ever see the Sports Champions DLC level?

Yeah, the DLC isn't exactly setting the world on fire, either. Sure, Kat from Gravity Rush seems popular, but some random guy from Starhawk?

Seriously, are there any people here with fondness for the cast of Starhawk?

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By Enigma777
    @Hailinel

@I_smell said:

but what about more DLC where I can download the main guy from the PSP version of Resistance- or the protagonist of LAIR? Will we ever see the Sports Champions DLC level?

Yeah, the DLC isn't exactly setting the world on fire, either. Sure, Kat from Gravity Rush seems popular, but some random guy from Starhawk?

Me.
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By probablytuna

Funny how they were just talking about how little support Sony gave to the game during Unprofessional Fridays. Dick move Sony.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Sony Don't Care

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By cooljammer00

I hope they got paid well for developing All Stars. It didn't sell well but they were probably hampered by Sony not hawking up the cash for Crash or Spyro.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By GooieGreen

@cooljammer00: Given the NDAs around they talks they had with Activision, it is hard to say it was even possible to get those characters on board.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60  Edited By spraynardtatum

Wine em and dine em am I right Sony?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#61  Edited By musubi

@cooljammer00: Activision owns Spyro not Sony

gesi1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By gesi1223

@evanbower said:

@gesi1223

@clank543 said:

I feel bad for them, but did anyone HONESTLY expect this game to be a smash hit? At some point, these developers and publishers need to get realistic about what sells and what doesn't. While this game seemed well playing enough, it was destined to failure when they slapped the 60 dollar price tag on it instead of making it a low cost downloadable game.

I'm sure the developers were being realistic. You don't see them making some kind of bitter outcry about it. It's the audience that are not being realistic, with their "smash bros killer" mindset and thinking devs always have the time and funding to make every single idea they have into something that will blow everyone's minds.

But really though, should I feel obligated to pay sixty dollars for a game that isn't as good as Smash Bros and doesn't blow my mind with its ideas? I don't think it's totally unrealistic for an audience to be indifferent to a game when that's the transaction they're offered.

I don't find $60 for an "ok" game to be worth it either, but a ton of them are made and no one does anything about those. I'm only pointing out the fact the devs are being blamed for bad sales, when it's more the fault of publisher and consumer. Sure the devs could have come up with something totally different, it could have been a way better. But they are not to blame for bad pricing and the people who can't enjoy the game because its not smash bros.

Private messaged by accident

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By RE_Player1

@Enigma777 said:

@Hailinel

@I_smell said:

Me.

Me too. People talk shit about Starhawk but it is a solid game all around.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ripelivejam

i didn't play it (stop reading there), but i have a feeling this could've been a great thing, especially with how the GB crew envisioned it as being batshit-insane and obscure with references and characters. doesn't look like it was a bad game at all, just hampered by some poor design choices and a (probably understandable) lack of prime Sony properties. hell it could've been the thing to re-ignite interest in Sony's first party development, though maybe that's a tad TOO optimistic.

here's hoping things stay on the up and up over at Superbot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5abeb9715d7a2
    deactivated-5abeb9715d7a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Isn't this what happens, when a contracted developer finishes their project and is not needed for more work? I hope they find more projects to work on soon.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#66  Edited By hermes

@Doppelgamer said:

Isn't this what happens, when a contracted developer finishes their project and is not needed for more work? I hope they find more projects to work on soon.

Based on Yang comments and changes in the development plans of DLC, I would guess they weren't expecting it.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#67  Edited By Dagbiker
    @Hailinel

@Dagbiker said:

@galloughs said:

Except peoples jobs, and potentially more games and innovation in game mechanics, but yes. Beside that worthless crap, nothing of value.

I have all the sympathy in the world for those that lost their jobs, but what Superbot produced was in no way innovative.

That game wasnt...
    VargasPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By VargasPrime

It's unfortunate. If Sony had done their due diligence and actually gone through whatever channels necessary to license some of the third-party properties that were virtually synonymous with the PS1 and PS2, I have a feeling this game would have interested a lot more people.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Hailinel

@Doppelgamer said:

They weren't a contracted developer. They were a development house that Sony themselves funded and established.

@Dagbiker said:

@Hailinel

@Dagbiker said:

@galloughs said:

That game wasnt...

It wasn't. Maybe if they have the chance to make another game, they can do something more original, but SuperBot's primary gaol with PSAS was just aping Smash Bros. as much they possibly could, and then throwing in a few different mechanics so that it didn't play exactly the same. What they produced was a poor Smash clone that wasn't fun to play and had some utterly ludicrous online bugs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:

@Doppelgamer said:

They weren't a contracted developer. They were a development house that Sony themselves funded and established.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the heads up. One or two sites had people saying that they were contracted.

I haven't played the game, but I have played SSB many times. I can see how the game might be considered a "rip off", but then wouldn't SSB be a "rip off" of games like Power Stone? Either way, I don't care. I just wish these people well.

bellgloom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By bellgloom

@Doppelgamer uh, SSB is a Power Stone rip-off? Power stone is a 3D Arena fighting game with life bars. SSB is a 2D mascot-filled brawler with a unique KO mechanic. Literally almost no basis for comparison.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Terrible games deserve terrible sales.

graf1k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By graf1k

To everybody calling Sony dicks or talking about how unfortunate this is, did you guys miss the part where it says their "working agreement ended amicably"? They aren't being liquidated or forced to do a bunch of Vita ports or something else they don't want to do. Aside from fully funding another game of the dev's choosing, which wasn't much of an option, Sony pretty much handled this as well as they could. The studio stays together and are free to do what they want, and Sony is unburdened by having yet another studio making games that just aren't selling. They still have SCE Japan, Polyphony, Santa Monica, Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, Guerilla and Media Molecule so they're looking pretty strong still.

Avatar image for kenniworldpeace
    kenniWORLDPEACE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By kenniWORLDPEACE

yea, i didnt enjoy this game very much. they should have just went all in, and made Smash Bros: the sony version. the way they handled health and k.o's just wasnt for me, i guess. i hope the devs get another chance with something else though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bellgloom said:

@Doppelgamer uh, SSB is a Power Stone rip-off? Power stone is a 3D Arena fighting game with life bars. SSB is a 2D mascot-filled brawler with a unique KO mechanic. Literally almost no basis for comparison.

Actually, I was using it as an example, not actually saying that it was a rip-off. While there are many similarities, SSB and Power Stone have quite a bit of differences too. To use another example, people had called Mortal Kombat a Street Fighter II rip off back in the day, when they were merely the same genre, but close in several areas. My point is that the Sony game is probably a LOT closer to SSB than Power Stone, but it's still sharing a genre. Does Sony All-Stars not have different moves, characters, zones, music and so forth? Are there not games that share the 2D and life bar mechanic? Have there not been fighting games featuring characters from a company line-up before? (SNK, Capcom, Namco, etc...)

bellgloom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By bellgloom

@doppelgamer you can say that Power Stone and SSB share a genre, but only in the broadest sense. The core conceit of SSB is a mascot-driven four-player brawler; PSAS is clearly trying to do the same thing. As for MK and SF, they're closer in game mechanics than Power Stone and SSB, sure, but MK brought enough new things to table to justify its existence as a singular product -- more graphic depictions of violence, mo-capped character art, fatalities, etc. If you actually want a blatant SF ripoff, check out Fighter's History. Point being, the rip-off label is open to a degree of semantic ambiguity, but it clearly applies much more to PSAS than the examples you're giving.

Katkillad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Katkillad

I don't know how you screw up blatantly ripping off a game like Smash Bros, but this game managed to do it. Their attempts at changing the game to make it different just made it worse.

manicraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By manicraider

In other words Sony likes to Hump 'em and Dump 'em.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By peritus

Ever since the vita at E3 i get the impression sony doesn't believe in its products anymore. Getting the same impression from everything playstation all stars related. Even if they parted ways amicably Also where was crash bandicoot? Seriously.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By OfficeGamer

man who plays these games anyway

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Dan_CiTi

That's too bad, the game wasn't quite as good as Smash Bros. in a handful of key ways, but had a lot of smart ideas Smash could learn from.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.