Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 18, 2012

Characters from various Sony franchises, and several guests from multi-platform games of the time. Battle it out in this crossover platform fighting game intended to compete with Nintendo's Super Smash Bros.!

This game has no soul... (first impressions)

• 89 results
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1

I got the game mailed to me early and I just beat the arcade mode with Parappa. I can't tell you how disappointed I am with this game game so far. The arcade is so bare bones. Pick a character, view their intro scene which is just still images accompanied by voice, fight dudes, fight your rival in a generic background, and than "fight" Polygon Man which consists of fighting regular characters modelled purple and view the ending which is another set of images and voices. I have to spend more time with it but this game so far has zero style. Even the fonts look generic.

I can answer questions if you have any although I might not get back to them right away.

Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Thoseposers

On a scale of 1 to Nickelback, about how generic would you say it is?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RE_Player1

@Thoseposers said:

Assuming Nickelback is a 10 and the pinnacle of generic I'd say 8.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By rjayb89

Is it an insult or compliment to call it "Sony Smash Bros."?

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

How does it rate on a scale of 7 to 16, 16 being the number 1 higher than 15.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FLStyle

@msavo said:

I got the game mailed to me early and I just beat the arcade mode with Parappa. I can't tell you how disappointed I am with this game game so far. The arcade is so bare bones. Pick a character, view their intro scene which is just still images accompanied by voice, fight dudes, fight your rival in a generic background, and than "fight" Polygon Man which consists of fighting regular characters modelled purple and view the ending which is another set of images and voices. I have to spend more time with it but this game so far has zero style. Even the fonts look generic.

I can answer questions if you have any although I might not get back to them right away.

Not sure what you were expecting, the primary concern for this game was the fighting game mechanics, trying to cross the gap between Super Smash Bros. and traditional fighting games. That's why they were so boastful when they got Seth Killian on board in addition to their programmers and designers who have placed at EVO.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jimmyfenix

this game is poor just poor

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By vikingdeath1

As someone who absolutely Adores the Super Smash Bros. franchise; will I be disappointed?

the knockout system doesn't look very enticing to me since whats the point of hitting other dudes other than to fill up your meter? I wanna hit dudes and see them take damage! not hit dudes for the sake of hittin dudes :/

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RE_Player1

@rjayb89 said:

This game wishes it was of the quality of Smash Bros. I've outgrown Nintendo in most cases and would probably identify myself as a Playstation fan, even though I own all platforms, so this game should be for me right? Wrong, at least so far. I played a couple 1v1 matches with my brother and it seems like the game is only suited for 3+ players.

Also I haven't been able to access the Vita version that comes with the game, I assume that will go live during tomorrows PSN Store update.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JJOR64

I tried the beta out and I didn't care for it at all. Just seemed like a really bad Smash clone to me. Not surprised it's supper blan and generic.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Milkman
    @msavo

@Thoseposers said:

Assuming Nickelback is a 10 and the pinnacle of generic I'd say 8.

I think that's around a Hoobastank.
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By McGhee

You're wrong. The game contains what was left of the soul of Seth Killian.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By iamjohn

Could you talk a little more about Polygon Man? Like, is there a distinct character you have to fight in between the reskins, or is it literally just the "Fighting Polygon Team"-alike stuff? If the latter, that seems really disappointing (to say nothing of being a pretty shameful rip-off).

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RE_Player1

@vikingdeath1: You'll probably be disappointed. And yeah the knockout system is just off putting to me.

@FLStyle: I expected some amount of charm due to these characters coming together. Say what you will about the Subspace Emissary mode in SSBB but those cutscenes were cool. Seeing all the characters interact with one another just brought a smile to your face but this seems by the books and sorta half assed. Also this is not going to bridge any gaps. They are high if they think the fighting mechanics are deep on any level.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RE_Player1

@iAmJohn said:

Could you talk a little more about Polygon Man? Like, is there a distinct character you have to fight in between the reskins, or is it literally just the "Fighting Polygon Team"-alike stuff? If the latter, that seems really disappointing (to say nothing of being a pretty shameful rip-off).

The latter. You enter the Polygon Man stage, he introduces himself and summons a reskinned characters, in my case Dante. You beat Dante with a super and than Polygon Man enters the ring. You hit him a couple times and he goes back in the background. Rinse and repeat with 2 more characters added and your done. You have a set amount of lives which I assume gets fewer depending on the difficulty.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#16  Edited By jacksukeru

Seems about what you'd expect presentation-wise from a fighting game. Not that there's anything right with that.

I like a fair number of the characters that're included in the game so I should be all for this, but I haven't been feeling it at all.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FLStyle

@msavo said:

@vikingdeath1: You'll probably be disappointed. And yeah the knockout system is just off putting to me.

@FLStyle: I expected some amount of charm due to these characters coming together. Say what you will about the Subspace Emissary mode in SSBB but those cutscenes were cool. Seeing all the characters interact with one another just brought a smile to your face but this seems by the books and sorta half assed. Also this is not going to bridge any gaps. They are high if they think the fighting mechanics are deep on any level.

Maybe that says more about the amount of 3rd party characters in PS All Stars than anything else. The established Nintendo characters and its fan-base will always have a deeper connection than a whole bunch of guys and girls just being thrown together for the sake of Sony console players who may not have even touched the games that some of the characters are in. I suspect the developers themselves were in the same position. New Dante and Black Cyborg Raiden's games aren't even out yet compared to Nintendo characters who have decades of games and legions of fans behind them.

As for the mechanics themselves, we'll see what happens when the Apex (Smash Bros. version of EVO) Community gets some time with it.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By MocBucket62
    @msavo said:

The arcade is so bare bones. Pick a character, view their intro scene which is just still images accompanied by voice, fight dudes, fight your rival in a generic background, and than "fight" Polygon Man which consists of fighting regular characters modelled purple and view the ending which is another set of images and voices. 

Wait, you telling me they really did rip off the fighting polygon team from the first Smash Bros? WTF Sony?! I thought the Polygon Man battle would be kind of like a mix between Master Hand and Galactus from MVC3. Your overall impressions do make me less interested in this game.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By MooseyMcMan

That sucks, especially considering how Mortal Kombat really upped the anti for fighting game story modes (never mind the extravaganza that was the story mode in Super Smash Bros. Brawl).

Cyrisaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cyrisaurus

Judging a fighting game based on it's story mode...

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By VicRattlehead

@McGhee: i believe whats left of that is on the sfxtekken disc but you have to spend $20 to unlock it :|

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By colourful_hippie

Having no soul...yeah you just nailed it 100%.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By spankingaddict

@msavo said:

Is the online any good , and is there an online pass ?

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By Commisar123

I would feel better about this game if playing the beta hadn't been so boring

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Not surprised. From the announcement video it looked like it lack a unique identity. I want to hear more about the 1vs1 fighting. From playing the beta that seems like the game this game could shine.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Catarrhal

@spankingaddict said:

Is there an online pass?

I haven't played the game in question, but no first-party game has ever required an online pass, right?

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By spankingaddict

@Catarrhal said:

@spankingaddict said:

Is there an online pass?

I haven't played the game in question, but no first-party game has ever required an online pass, right?

Recently they have . LBP Karting , Twisted Metal , R&C All 4 one ect...

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Getz

@rjayb89 said:

It's an insult to Smash Bros. Calling it anything but "Smash Bros Cheez Whiz" is an insult.

Avatar image for deactivated-65e3079d16391
    deactivated-65e3079d16391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

@Getz said:

@rjayb89 said:

It's an insult to Smash Bros. Calling it anything but "Smash Bros Cheez Whiz" is an insult.

An insult to Cheez Whiz?

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thats sony first party games in general. Uncharted just feels like its trying too hard. 2 was the only game in the series that actually felt somewhat natural. The god of war trilogy just feels like made for sci-fi greek movie. Resistance and Killzone just tried to fill that halo fill but on a sony console. Ratchet and clank never clicked with me. More like a B side low budget pixar series.

^NOW! Sony has always excelled with its gameplay. They usually, with the exception of the Resistance trilogy, have some of the best polish in video games in general. Just, none of them have a soul you feel like you want to stay in. The music is usually generic and cheap. Graphics are usually top notch, even if the art design is crap.

So for All Stars, is the actual gameplay half way decent? I didn't expect much from the story. Like sony ever actually published a game with an amazing story.

Avatar image for deactivated-65e3079d16391
    deactivated-65e3079d16391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

A crossover game like PSASBR doesn't really "need" a story, but if executed properly, could add to the experience. I personally prefer the way the BlazBlue games handled their story modes (even if it didn't make a lot of sense to me sometimes, you still got a good feel for the characters and their motivations).

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Can't say I was expecting something great from the game's story. What I really care about are the fighting mechanics, which were starting to come together for me near the end of the beta. It sucks that the game isn't designed for 1v1, though, but I'll be getting this and I'm interested in seeing if I'll quickly get frustrated with the full game or not.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#33  Edited By Phatmac

Didn't expect much from a fighting game story so I'm more interested in how it plays.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RE_Player1

@spankingaddict said:

@Catarrhal said:

@spankingaddict said:

Is there an online pass?

Recently they have . LBP Karting , Twisted Metal , R&C All 4 one ect...

Yes it does have an online pass.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RE_Player1

Sorry I haven't been going in depth with the gameplay or mechanics, I only played arcade once and a bunch of vs matches against computer and with my brother. I'm in lecture right so I can't play or respond to everything. I can confirm I nailed my poem presentation in my English class :D

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ExplodeMode

@vikingdeath1 said:

As someone who absolutely Adores the Super Smash Bros. franchise; will I be disappointed?

the knockout system doesn't look very enticing to me since whats the point of hitting other dudes other than to fill up your meter? I wanna hit dudes and see them take damage! not hit dudes for the sake of hittin dudes :/

From the little bit I played in the beta, when you start doing a lot of damage to someone, they start shedding orbs that lower their super bar that you can pick up to build your super faster. So it seemed like there was some tug of war happening.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@ExplodeMode said:

From the little bit I played in the beta, when you start doing a lot of damage to someone, they start shedding orbs that lower their super bar that you can pick up to build your super faster. So it seemed like there was some tug of war happening.

No, only throws and items make people lose orbs, and that's at any level. Though, you lose more orbs the more AP you have.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ExplodeMode

@FluxWaveZ: Weird. There not being any kind of back and forth mechanic was a worry and when I saw that I just figured it was from damage, I guess because that was what I wanted to see.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Barrock

Excusing fighting games for having shitty single player modes makes me sad.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Petiew
    @Barrock: Do they really need them? The focus is generally on the fighting mechanics, not the fiction. Most of them do have some sort of story anyway, even if its only character intros, rival battles and then an ending.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RE_Player1

@Petiew said:

@Barrock: Do they really need them? The focus is generally on the fighting mechanics, not the fiction. Most of them do have some sort of story anyway, even if its only character intros, rival battles and then an ending.

I guess after Mortal Kombat I've been spoiled.

Geurge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Geurge

I guess I'm being stupid but I can't work out the combo system. Square seems to be the light attack, triangle the heavy and circle the projectile, but I can't link any attacks into each other apart from square three times.

Although, playing as Daniel in arcade mode I managed to get Sweet Tooth in a pseudo-infinite by pressing down triangle, and then hitting up square and keeping him juggled in the air. Only worked once though, when I let him down I couldn't get him back to being stuck.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RE_Player1

@Geurge: How is Daniel? My brother messed with him one match and said he is super slow and odd moving.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Petiew
    @msavo: Yeah, story can be a big plus. It worked well for Mortal Kombat and gave you an easier way to learn the game. Although it isn't as popular here Blazblue is one of my favourites for fighting game story content. There're stories for each character and choices that result in bad endings or gag endings. Once you've completed every story you can play the canon true end which leads into the next game. There are also the Teach Me segments which give you background on the world and past events.

But I feel like the actual mechanics are the most important part. Good solid mechanics with a lame story is more appealing to me than a fun story with awful gameplay (In fighting games at least.)
    So the story in this game sucks, do you think the gameplay makes up for it? Or are both just bad?
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RE_Player1

@Petiew: It's too early to tell. Hopefully it grows on me. I think I'm going to try and main Parappa and Radec and than experiment with the others. If you played Super Smash Bros before those skills definitely translate.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Barrock

@Petiew said:

In most fighting games, it's excusable. But Smash Brothers and All Stars aren't exactly deep.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#47  Edited By DarthOrange

Are you sure your playing it right? I played the beta and loved it, and that IGN presentation looked fantastic. Sure the story mode was bare-bones but the 1v1, 2v2, and FFA looked awesome, and the mechanics feel great and unique. What makes it remind you of smash bros? Did you play the beta? 

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RE_Player1

@DarthOrange said:

Are you sure your playing it right? I played the beta and loved it, and that IGN presentation looked fantastic. Sure the story mode was bare-bones but the 1v1, 2v2, and FFA looked awesome, and the mechanics feel great and unique. What makes it remind you of smash bros? Did you play the beta?

Yeah I played the beta and my little time with the final product I walked away with the same impression, it's alright. Nothing special. I dunno I guess I expected Playstation nostalgia overload but that's not what this is. Also 1v1 is sooooooo boring to me the few matches I've had.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Petiew
    @rebgav: I guess it's pretty telling that no new fighting game IPs really came to mind after reading that. Skullgirls was mechanically sound and that seems to be pretty much dead. I wonder how much it sold, and if more substantial modes would have helped.

@Barrock: Fair point, a good story mode would definitely improve opinions on a game with subpar mechanics.

@msavo: I still think it's great they included Parappa in this game. Smash seemed fairly basic but was still fun, the damage bar system looks to me to allow for more strategy than the super attack system in all-stars.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RE_Player1

@Petiew: Last I heard Skullgirls only sold 50,000.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.