Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 18, 2012

Characters from various Sony franchises, and several guests from multi-platform games of the time. Battle it out in this crossover platform fighting game intended to compete with Nintendo's Super Smash Bros.!

This game has no soul... (first impressions)

• 89 results
    Tobiass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Tobiass

Third party all-stars is bad.

REALLY BAD.

Cartoon Network Punchtime Explotion was much much better and that's saying something.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By AngelN7

I think fighting games can and should have a good single player/story mode and I'm not saying they don't need to have a big in depth storyline they just need to be creative with the mode, I really like how Super Smash does the single player mode because they vary the matches a bit, like the you vs Kirby team or the you vs a giant character in Brawl it's different from the regular arcade/story of "you fighting some characters see a cutscene fight a boss see the ending".

I haven't play Mortal Kombat yet but I like how DOA5 did the story mode wich I heard it was bit similar , it was really goofy but some cutscenes where kinda funny and had rather ridiculous reasons for a lot of the fights and also worked as a tutorial mode, Dissidia also has a really good story mode (that game is mostly single player but still), so I don't think is too much to ask for a fighting game to have a decent story/arcade mode.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#53  Edited By DarthOrange
    @msavo said:

@DarthOrange said:

Are you sure your playing it right? I played the beta and loved it, and that IGN presentation looked fantastic. Sure the story mode was bare-bones but the 1v1, 2v2, and FFA looked awesome, and the mechanics feel great and unique. What makes it remind you of smash bros? Did you play the beta?

Yeah I played the beta and my little time with the final product I walked away with the same impression, it's alright. Nothing special. I dunno I guess I expected Playstation nostalgia overload but that's not what this is. Also 1v1 is sooooooo boring to me the few matches I've had.

Different strokes for different blokes I guess. My brother and I fell in love with this game during the beta. I was sorta pissed that it wasn't nostalgia overload as well a few months back but I have gotten over it and after my time with the beta I could not be more pumped. I love the mechanics and think they are crazy deep. Trying to guess when you opponent is going to use their super is an awesome mind game that isn't present in other fighting games. But if you don't like it all that much then hey, opinions. The thing that pisses me off most is people who haven't played it and immediately write it off. Fuck those guys.
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#54  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Barrock said:

@Petiew said:

@Barrock: Do they really need them? The focus is generally on the fighting mechanics, not the fiction. Most of them do have some sort of story anyway, even if its only character intros, rival battles and then an ending.

In most fighting games, it's excusable. But Smash Brothers and All Stars aren't exactly deep.

There is depth to Super Smash bros. Melee. PS all stars has yet to proven itself. hopefully it does.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By BestUsernameEver

I got that impression by the menu system and gameplay in the beta, just looks plain, uninspired, and dare I say it, copy of a certain game you might be guessing right now.

Geurge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By Geurge

@msavo: Yeah, Daniel's slow. His square attack is his sword, triangle is either a big hammer or bow and arrow depending on whether you hit down or up and circle he throws his head. I didn't really play him for much as I don't like slow characters, moved onto Jak who's got some speed.

Tobiass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Tobiass

Speaking of which, where are the reviews ?

Games that get reviewed late usually aren't that good.

@BestUsernameEver: Idk what you're talking about man...Sony only innovates.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#58  Edited By DarthOrange
    @Tobiass said:

Third party all-stars is bad.

REALLY BAD.

Cartoon Network Punchtime Explotion was much much better and that's saying something.

Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion was a fun game. :( 
    What makes the third party bad? Is it any characters specifically or do you just not like any of them?
    Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Tobiass said:

Speaking of which, where are the reviews ?

Games that get reviewed late usually aren't that good.

@BestUsernameEver: Idk what you're talking about man...Sony only innovates.

Oh. I am going to assume that's sarcasm.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#60  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

It seemed like that from all the stuff I had seen. I recently played a lot of Brawl and found that even though a lot of it was goofy and corny it still had tons of heart and love for its franchises. Playstation All Stars just looks soulless, sad series that incorporates a lot of soulless franchises.

natedawg_kz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#61  Edited By natedawg_kz

All this hate and i bet probably half of you guys haven't played the game

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By SamStrife

@DarthOrange said:

@msavo said:

@DarthOrange said:

Are you sure your playing it right? I played the beta and loved it, and that IGN presentation looked fantastic. Sure the story mode was bare-bones but the 1v1, 2v2, and FFA looked awesome, and the mechanics feel great and unique. What makes it remind you of smash bros? Did you play the beta?

Yeah I played the beta and my little time with the final product I walked away with the same impression, it's alright. Nothing special. I dunno I guess I expected Playstation nostalgia overload but that's not what this is. Also 1v1 is sooooooo boring to me the few matches I've had.

Different strokes for different blokes I guess. My brother and I fell in love with this game during the beta. I was sorta pissed that it wasn't nostalgia overload as well a few months back but I have gotten over it and after my time with the beta I could not be more pumped. I love the mechanics and think they are crazy deep. Trying to guess when you opponent is going to use their super is an awesome mind game that isn't present in other fighting games. But if you don't like it all that much then hey, opinions. The thing that pisses me off most is people who haven't played it and immediately write it off. Fuck those guys.

I share your opinion.

At the end of the day this is a fighting game, so it will live or die by its mechanics, which (in my opinion) are pretty darn awesome. The supers sounds a bit weird on paper but are actually really awesome and they aren't insta-wins (Kratos' Level 3 has been nerfed heavily since the beta apparently), the levels are not as bland as people were claiming they would be and there isn't as heavy a reliance on items and randomness like Smash Bros.

Finally, whilst it may not seem like it at first, the game can be hella technical with combos at times and once you've got your head around there being no damage in the game and that all moves are used to increase your AP bar (or lower your opponents) the systems will click that little bit more.

The net code is superb and there will be a nice community that makes this game fun to play for at least a year or so.

Screw people writing it off who haven't played it, they're just trying to sound cool.

BirthWild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By BirthWild

I'm going to jump in again as someone who only just watched the quick look. From that though, I think it'll be a good time, I like the idea of no damage more than super smash's damage ratio. I think for the style of game that is super smash and this calls for a less traditional scoring system, but getting down to a "1 v 1 no items on Final Destination" in this game hopefully holds up with good combos, blocking, stealing meter, spikes, and then releasing a super.

I think it still has soul, having a dark souls character wouldn't be bad in here though.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By GooieGreen

This game not having a soul is an overreaction to the highest degree. This game is just as dumb as Smash Bros, and I mean that in the best way possible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BirthWild said:

I'm going to jump in again as someone who only just watched the quick look. From that though, I think it'll be a good time, I like the idea of no damage more than super smash's damage ratio. I think for the style of game that is super smash and this calls for a less traditional scoring system, but getting down to a "1 v 1 no items on Final Destination" in this game hopefully holds up with good combos, blocking, stealing meter, spikes, and then releasing a super.

I think it still has soul, having a dark souls character wouldn't be bad in here though.

A Lautrec or Solaire character would probably make me interested in this.

Hell, imagine a level with Seath or Ceaseless Discharge in the background. But Sony shat the bed with the Souls license so they can just fuck off.

And yeah, I didn't like the beta and none of the trappings of this game strokes my nostalgia boner as a Smash bros game does so it can suck it.

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By churrific

@GooieGreen said:

This game not having a soul is an overreaction to the highest degree. This game is just as dumb as Smash Bros, and I mean that in the best way possible.

I agree. If the OP means the game lacks the charm that Nintendo characters have, that's one thing, but not soulless. In fact, it seems like there's quite a bit of soul. Seems like a lot of care and thought went into the design of the fighting system.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67  Edited By TheHT

it's great. arcade mode is just as you'd expect: ladder with goofy bare bones story. the rival cutscenes are well done though (drake calling sly 'adorable' and 'road kill' being the highlight so far).

polygon man fight is as youd expect as well. random polygon enemies in waves of vs 1, vs 2, and vs 3, in between having you literally break polygon man's face.

but the real meat and PO-TA-TOES (boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew) is the fighting, and boy is it fun. you can actually pull off combos with reliance, and the supers game benefits from good strategy, so it's not at all just hitting dudes until they fly away.

if you like the movement of smash games you could totally have a good time here, but if the percentages are what you only like about smash, this probably isn't for you.

as for the soul nonsense, there's absolutely some eyebrow raising stuff, like obviously the inclusion of big daddy for example. but the charms outnumber the questionables, and most importantly it's just really damn fun.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#68  Edited By Hailinel
    @TheHT You don't think it's disappointing that the Polygon Man fight is just the Polygon Team from Smash Bros.?
    NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

It's pretty apparent that the overall quality as well as gameplay is far inferior to the SSB series. I don't even know how some people here can be so delusional.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Solh0und

It comes off to me as a rental or something I would pick up at a later time.

BirthWild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By BirthWild

@TeflonBilly: haha, fair enough I find myself on the sony side of nostalgia a lot so I guess I'm more on that side, and playing a lot of melee and brawl with friends it's still a fair transition for me, upon looking at it, I haven't played it so I'm sure my opinion isn't as high up there but man, some dang dark souls levels or some level 3s that just brought one of those bosses in there would be great! (BOI OI OI OIIINNNNGG THAT'S MY BONER) I also see the lesser appeal of this game like they were talking about in the quick look about less of an appeal after I see it all, but one way to find out is to go get it when I can I suppose. Thus is the life of a person who plays video games.

rolanthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By rolanthas

I don't know, as a fan of Melee and Brawl I'm having a blast with this so far. I really don't see how some peeps can be so enraged about the game to call others delusional for liking and enjoying it, but to each their own I guess.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By TheHT

@Hailinel said:

@TheHT You don't think it's disappointing that the Polygon Man fight is just the Polygon Team from Smash Bros.?

not really. it's a floating head named polygon man and he sends polygon people to fight you. i was never really looking for them to set up more interesting scenarios a la smash, mostly because superbot always seemed to downplay the single player mode as a 'standard' arcade ladder. the polygon man battle is about as interesting as the situations get.

to be fair though, the polygon team were total pushovers (quite literally), but when it gets to 3 against you it can get pretty tricky, not to mention polygon man summons random stage hzards from other levels during the fight (hydra, ape escape robot,etc.) and they seem to only damage you.

so i guess it's only similarity to the polygon team fight is the whole polygon thing.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#74  Edited By Yanngc33

It looks like the perfect, play as you go, Vita game

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By churrific

I feel like superbot should've just led off with something like this for their promotional material. Nothing like a good combo video to get me interested in a fighting game (and open some ppl's minds to the level of depth this game could potentially have).

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By MikkaQ

@msavo said:

"fight" Polygon Man which consists of fighting regular characters modelled purple

I know the marketing lead-up to the game pretends it's anything but a blatant Smash Bros. ripoff, but this for me is ridiculous. Why go that far to copy something then be all coy about it?

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#77  Edited By thebunnyhunter

Seemed liked missed potential, played the beta and it was alright...might rent it to try some other characters to see if i want to buy it. I think i would enjoy it a ton more a couple matches at a time on the Vita instead of the PS3

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Akrid

It honestly looks like a really solid game, but at the same time too bare bones to merit a full-price purchase. The multiplayer seems to be literally the only thing worthwhile, and there's little to no variance within that. If there was some real content to burn through, I'd be all over it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Hailinel
    @MikkaQ

@msavo said:

"fight" Polygon Man which consists of fighting regular characters modelled purple

I know the marketing lead-up to the game pretends it's anything but a blatant Smash Bros. ripoff, but this for me is ridiculous. Why go that far to copy something then be all coy about it?

Because marketers think we're that stupid.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By TheHT

@MikkaQ said:

@msavo said:

smash bros came out in '99, polygon man's first appearance was in '95. and he was purple back then too.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By xyzygy

@TheHT said:

@MikkaQ said:

@msavo said:

smash bros came out in '99, polygon man's first appearance was in '95. and he was purple back then too.

It's not that he's purple. It's that SSB did the whole "fight regular re-skinned characters as a boss battle" thing loooong ago.

On another note, I am wondering if this game has legs. I still play SSBB with my friends a few times a month and we have a blast, because every match is different. It doesn't seem like the mechanics of PSA allows for that though... There are a lot of things that really bug me about this game like the supers and lack of in-game scoring which makes it seem like it'll just kind of fizzle in like a month and will be basically forgotten because SSB does the whole party-fighting game thing so well.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By MikkaQ

@Hailinel said:

@MikkaQ

@msavo said:

Because marketers think we're that stupid.

To be fair, they're usually right to make that assumption. It still blows though.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#83  Edited By Cube

I like the game, so there! It doesn't do anything new, but it's really fun to play the characters against eachother, and of course there's online as well. The story mode is not the point, it's a fighting game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Hailinel

@Cube said:

I like the game, so there! It doesn't do anything new, but it's really fun to play the characters against eachother, and of course there's online as well. The story mode is not the point, it's a fighting game.

In this age of BlazBlue, Mortal Kombat, Persona 4, and Smash Bros. Brawl, that excuse doesn't cut it anymore. It is perfectly possible to create a quality fighting game that contains robust single-player content, including full story modes.

rpwll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By rpwll

The thing that gets me is that, at least in the beta, there doesn't seem to be a lot of stuff happening outside the core fighting mechanics. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of diversity in play styles between different characters save for different combos, for example in Smash Bros. they do a lot of interesting stuff to make characters that play very differently from each other: Captain Olimar pulls Pikmin out of the ground to fight with, the Pokemon Trainer can switch his active Pokemon, etc.

That same variety extends to stage design, there's tons of stages that have interesting mechanics like scrolling, deformation throughout the fight and so on that I haven't seen All-Stars do nearly as well. Then on top of that you have unlockable characters, a level editor and countless collectables that really add to the longevity of the game, not to mention a fully fleshed out single player / co-op mode.

So sure, All-Stars may be a very solid fighting game, but I feel it lacks the variety and sense progression that'll keep me coming back to it. I'll pick up the full game later this week though, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
    deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rjayb89 said:

Is it an insult or compliment to call it "Sony Smash Bros."?

No because Super Smash Bros is AWESOME.

M_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By M_33

I actually like the game a lot more than I thought I would. While I won't go as far as saying that it's better than Smash, I will say that it's still a damn fun game to play. Maybe it's because I've yet to even touch the single player modes, but the multiplayer experience does it for me. Still, I'll admit that 1 vs. 1 kind of leaves a lot to be desired, but I think the best way to play this game is with a friend, going online as a team and fighting random dudes.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By darkvare

are there any other modes where you can ko people in ways other than using supers?

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#89  Edited By TechHits

I played it at a friends house and ended up buying it, so yeah I like it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.