Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 18, 2012

Characters from various Sony franchises, and several guests from multi-platform games of the time. Battle it out in this crossover platform fighting game intended to compete with Nintendo's Super Smash Bros.!

This Royale is on back-order: delayed a month.

Opus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Opus

Fresh headline from the playstation blog. It's release being pushed from October 23rd to November 20th.

Was October too busy for new releases? Perhaps they're having trouble caging a bandicoot? Will they talk about this at all during their Gamescom conference tomorrow? I don't entirely mind personally, I can just devote more time towards X-Com in early November.

Have a lovely day.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By turboman

@Opus: I'm guessing that all of the complaints about the lack of a health bar and/or some other things got to them and they've decided to incorporate some of the complaints of the Beta.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel
    @TurboMan

@Opus: I'm guessing that all of the complaints about the lack of a health bar and/or some other things got to them and they've decided to incorporate some of the complaints of the Beta.

But to make those changes over one extra month?
    Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Lunar_Aura

They better use that extra time to add Mr. Mosquito

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Why don't I have the beta yet.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By jeff

I know they're using part of that time to finish inserting a brand-new UI, but my understanding was that this wasn't going to actually cause a delay. They were supposed to be completely locked down by now. Maybe they're rolling their first DLC update into the game itself to put some surprises back into the roster? That's a costly move, but it'd give them more runway, more time for PR to line up character reveals and get people "pumped" about the game and such. Dunno. It's a weird move, either way.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By jozzy

@GrantHeaslip said:

@TurboMan said:

There's no way they're going to change the core mechanics of the game in one month -- those decisions were made years ago. This is probably little more than netcode tweaks, bug fixes, and balance changes. The talk about incorporating feedback may well be cover for some crippling bug QA discovered at the last minute.

No offence intended, but I'm always amazed by how little understanding gamers have of the development process.

I think he just means giving more feedback onscreen on what is happening, not really adding new mechanics. UI changes like that can definately be done in a month.

@Jeff said:

I know they're using part of that time to finish inserting a brand-new UI, but my understanding was that this wasn't going to actually cause a delay. They were supposed to be completely locked down by now. Maybe they're rolling their first DLC update into the game itself to put some surprises back into the roster? That's a costly move, but it'd give them more runway, more time for PR to line up character reveals and get people "pumped" about the game and such. Dunno. It's a weird move, either way.

There you go, they are actually changing the UI.

BooDoug187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BooDoug187

Well this means I have an extra month to save up for it.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jozzy

@GrantHeaslip said:

@jozzy said:

@GrantHeaslip said:

@TurboMan said:

There's no way they're going to change the core mechanics of the game in one month -- those decisions were made years ago. This is probably little more than netcode tweaks, bug fixes, and balance changes. The talk about incorporating feedback may well be cover for some crippling bug QA discovered at the last minute.

No offence intended, but I'm always amazed by how little understanding gamers have of the development process.

I think he just means giving more feedback onscreen on what is happening, not really adding new mechanics. UI changes like that can definately be done in a month.

@Jeff said:

There you go, they are actually changing the UI.

My understanding was that the game has no concept of health/damage -- is it tracked but just not surfaced? If so, then yeah, they could surface it and my mistake, but if not, adding it in at the last second would completely change the core mechanics of the game. It would be like deciding to make a recharging health FPS into a finite health FPS when the game is months from release.

Yeah, I think you are right about the health mechanics not being in there and it being a core thing to build in. I just think he meant is as adding more feedback, but I could be wrong of course.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Phatmac

Glad that they're going to work on the UI. That kind of stuff matters to me at least.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#13  Edited By jacksukeru

With how the game looked I was expecting this, and for what it's worth I hope the final product turns out good.

@Jeff said:

This is interesting as well. I definetly feel like there hasn't been much 'hype' for the game since its announcement, which is both weird seeing how close it is to release and bad considering the fanservice-y nature of the entire thing.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ravenlight

The UI seems like a weird thing to have to delay the game over. Especially in a game where it's beneficial to downplay the UI so it doesn't obscure the action. Is the delay due more to a hyped release window or poor use of development time, I wonder?

@Opus said:

Have a lovely day.

Hey, thanks! You too!

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By DarthOrange

Just in time for black friday! This delay might end up biting them right in the goat ass though. Isn't the Wii U supposed to launch sometime in November?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Hailinel

@RockmanBionics: If anything, the game's initial reveal was handled poorly and didn't do much to generate buzz other than "Oh, hey, they're making a Smash Bros. knock-off." And when they showed the game at E3, it looked boring and simplistic. The recent Quick Look of the beta didn't look much better. The way that character reveals have been handled also haven't been given the amount of hype that Smash Bros. character reveals would normally generate. I don't know how an extra month could possibly help in that regard, especially since they're booting the game's release into a window that's sure to be dominated by a lot of other big launches.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#17  Edited By jacksukeru

@Hailinel: Mm, I have always been for a "Smash Bros with Sony characters" but I haven't been feeling this game at all. As for the extra month, who knows, if they start pumping out a ton of well made character 'reveal' trailers and manage to get some unleaked extra characters in they might be able to salvage some of it, but I think most people's minds are already made up.

I'm mostly just surprised that the hype engine for this game has done such a poor job. I mean this is people's nostalgia we're dealing with here, in a gametype that is basically fanservice incarnate, it shouldn't be this hard to sell.

I watched a few of the trailers and one thing that stood out to me was the lack of any recognizeable music. I think the thing that sells stuff like MvC, Dissidia and Smash Bros. specifically is that it manages to be a complete package. This hasn't shown signs of being this thus far.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.