Who is your main?

#1 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -
#2 Edited by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

Much to my own surprise I have actually been rockin' Nathan Drake as my main. Before the game came out I thought he seemed dumb but his attacks are awesome and unique. His combos also aren't to hard to pull off and you can set up some pretty devastating attacks with that rolling barrel. Add in 3 supers that are all useful and I am left wondering why everyone doesn't play as him. I have also been using Radec and Sweet Tooth to a lesser extent but they are still awesome too.  

Who have you bombers been using as your main?

#3 Posted by TheHT (11376 posts) -

raiden. he's quick,can cover ground well, and his level 1 is good for surprise kills. i may go back to heihachi but i just cleared parappa's arcade mode, and he's kinda really awesome. i've also been itchinng to give sackboy a try. he seems like a great (annoying) keep away character.

but at the moment it's all about that jack. that zan datsu downward grab is so fucking cool. blade mode's neat too even if it doesn't hack dudes to pieces and isn't very useful in ffa.

#4 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19353 posts) -

Nathan Drake. The barrel controls space well and gives a good amount of AP if it explodes on someone and his level 1 is incredibly efficient if used properly.

I was never expecting this game to be balanced, but Sackboy's just broken in FFA. His level 3 gets about 5-6 kills and all he needs to do is spam that one circle move over and over again while placing fans and the electric trap to keep opponents away.

#5 Posted by M_33 (527 posts) -

I main Sly Cooper. His invisibility thing is awesome for hiding from Level 3's. I knew before even playing the game that I would main him, since I adore the Sly series on PS2. His Level 1 is also really, really good, I'd argue the best in the game.

I also use Dante and Sackboy on the side. With Dante, they did a really good job at building his fighting style, where it's almost like playing the actual DMC games. His combos are among the funnest to pull off, plus they look sweet. As for Sackboy, like said, he's just awesomely annoying and builds meter like nobody's business.

#6 Edited by Spoonman671 (4648 posts) -

I started out with Fat Princess and I did alright with her, but felt like there had to be a character that was a better fit.  I played a bit with Drake (mostly for the Sully minion) and he definitely wasn't for me.  I moved on to Sir Daniel since I usually play better with slower characters in fighting games, and he was pretty fun.

Ultimately, I landed on Good Cole.  He feels very mobile so I'm able to get away from supers pretty effectively, and his moves flow into each other pretty seamlessly.  If I get into a good rhythm, then I can keep Cole moving around the stage for the entire match.  He's also pretty good at harassing the shit out of lame-ass Radec snipers.

#7 Posted by JackSukeru (5916 posts) -

I haven't put enough time in or even tried every character properly, but I'm thinking Spike or Phat Princess.

#8 Posted by punkxblaze (2987 posts) -

I like the overwhelming majority of "I just want to see the result".

#9 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4683 posts) -

I have not played the full game but Nariko looked fun and effective. According to the poll that is hardly a unique opinion. How is the diversity of characters online?

#10 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19353 posts) -

@punkxblaze said:

Haha, yeah, that's pretty funny. And, in a way, sad.

#11 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@punkxblaze said:

Haha, yeah, that's pretty funny. And, in a way, sad.

But not at all surprising.

#12 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4368 posts) -

Falco

#13 Posted by Opus (148 posts) -

I started off with Sir Dan and enjoy him, but his level 1 and 2 supers are way too easy to avoid which puts him at a significant disadvantage in any mode that isn't Free-For-All. I converted to Big Daddy, mainly to hear Andrew Ryan's "A man chooses" line, and haven't looked back.

#14 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -
@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I have not played the full game but Nariko looked fun and effective. According to the poll that is hardly a unique opinion. How is the diversity of characters online?

It is actually surprisingly great. I have never seen more then two people have the same character in a match. 

@FluxWaveZ said:

Nathan Drake. The barrel controls space well and gives a good amount of AP if it explodes on someone and his level 1 is incredibly efficient if used properly.

I was never expecting this game to be balanced, but Sackboy's just broken in FFA. His level 3 gets about 5-6 kills and all he needs to do is spam that one circle move over and over again while placing fans and the electric trap to keep opponents away.

Fuck Sackboy. I was playing a game of 2v2 stock match against two Sackboys. It was the most annoying thing in the world, and what was worse is that they both got level three's and just sat on them, mocking us until they finally put us out of our misery. 

@Opus said:

I started off with Sir Dan and enjoy him, but his level 1 and 2 supers are way too easy to avoid which puts him at a significant disadvantage in any mode that isn't Free-For-All. I converted to Big Daddy, mainly to hear Andrew Ryan's "A man chooses" line, and haven't looked back.

Really? Sir Dan has actually become my main when I play stock matches. His level two is fantastic for killing everyone if you time it right (and always hits on Parappa's stage). As for his level one, if you knock them up with the sword the use it it will almost always hit. He is great when the match comes down to 1v1 because most people don't know how to counter him. Also the fire he drops down is usually ignored by most players and lets you rack up some quick AP. 
#15 Posted by overnow (178 posts) -

I haven't played much but I really enjoyed using Raiden. I think Nariko would be my number 2.

#16 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

So I've been playing a lot of Fat Princess as I know her well from the beta but I'm experimenting with others. Big Baddy seems really cool, as does Drake. I was hoping to main Toro but he feels garbage to me.

The problem I'm having is it's difficult to choose a random player online and try them out. The game can be so technical you really need to try someone out in practice to get a feel for them, else you're just going to get slaughtered.

#17 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

So I've played a bunch of Ratchet & Clank and Raiden with a little bit of Nariko and Sackboy thrown in there. I would have wanted to main Ratchet & Clank because out of all of the characters there the two that resonate with me the most, but Ratchet doesn't have enough good attacks. I can't stand Sackboy, none of his attacks seem all that useful and more annoying. I do really like Raiden though, he is very fast with his attacks and I agree with TheHT his level 1 is pretty good. But I never go for his level 3 because is level 2 is almost as effective.

#18 Posted by Maitimo (203 posts) -

I sort of fell into playing Raiden. Initially figured I'd try Drake or Cole, but the ranged stuff hasn't clicked with me, whereas the heavy melee focus with Raiden has.

I've found it's pretty common to have multiples of Raiden, Dante, Kratos or Nariko in FFAs. Seems like they translated across from their respective games pretty well.

#19 Posted by Opus (148 posts) -

@DarthOrange: His supers are super high risk! Though I had a moment of enlightenment when I found out you can fire his level 1 directly overhead on people jumping over. Dan's level 2 is too easy to dodge though, if you're on the ground level of the stage you just dodge once towards where Dan was when he fired it, thankfully human nature makes people run away from the light so it usually works out in your favor. There's a reason so many people lean towards Raiden or Sly right now with their "safer" supers.

I chose Big Daddy as usual for a match, but the game bugged out and put me in as Drake, I stuck with it and he's a gem, he's as nimble as Raiden or Nariko, but not as combo heavy, good if you're the kind of person that waits for openings and takes them rather than be on the offensive all the time. It's turning out that everyone's fun to play as, go figure!

#20 Posted by ESREVER (2694 posts) -

I haven't really played all that many yet. I completed the joke of a general challenge mode and Dante's character challenges. Really gotta say though, reeeaaallllyy digging Dante. He's fucking sexy, and his combos are rad too. Rockin' no shirt Dante with Vergil backdrop with Lady Icon and Kai minion! I played a little bit of Nariko to get the Kai minion, but I don't see myself using her that much.

#21 Posted by Sackmanjones (4711 posts) -

This game seems like it would only be fun as 4 player couch co op like smash bros. how is it online with randoms? Is it still just crazy dumb fun?

#22 Posted by TheHT (11376 posts) -

@Sackmanjones: it definitely starts out that way, but as you get better at the game and the matchmaking pits you against better players things definitely get less crazy dumb fun and more intense skillful fun.

#23 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (190 posts) -

I'm really liking Nathan Drake, but I'm starting to come around to Sackboy and Big Daddy.

#24 Posted by D0tti (786 posts) -

Maybe this has been answered 1000 times but, why isn't Solid Snake in this game ?

#25 Posted by natedawg_kz (234 posts) -

<

#26 Posted by spankingaddict (2678 posts) -

I LOVE Sly Cooper !

#27 Posted by Socialone (202 posts) -

I know for certain that if my PS3 didn't go YLOD, I would have answered Jak. Sigh.

#28 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

Man, judging by the poll, this game isn't gonna sell very well.

#29 Posted by awesomeusername (4193 posts) -

I started off with Kratos because he was the first guy on the roster so he's my highest level character. I've used every character and there's some that I absolutely do not like. I think Raiden, Sly and Dante are pretty good too. I mainly like characters with swords/staffs as you can see. I'm excited to play as Kat though.

@Apathylad said:

Man, judging by the poll, this game isn't gonna sell very well.

God of War, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted and Heavy Rain are basically the only PS3 exclusives that sold fantastic. So while not surprising, it is sad. It probably won't sell hundreds of thousands of copies but it'll probably make a profit since it seems like the budget for this game wasn't very high.

#30 Posted by phantomzxro (1577 posts) -

I main sly because i like his move sets and all his supers are useful. My second and close other main is Raiden which has the same great move set and all his supers are great too. They only reason i shy away from raiden is that it is common to run into more then one of him in online matches.

#31 Posted by TheHT (11376 posts) -

holy shit. facing a level 4 ai Sly as Raiden is brutal. motherfucker spams teleport! really tricky, but i finally got the sunnova bitch in a 4x overtime.

#32 Posted by NiKva (128 posts) -

Slycooper, but I've also been using Raiden a lot.

They both seem to be way overpowered and that's why I like them :P

#33 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Love me some big daddy.

#34 Posted by TohruAdachi (261 posts) -

Sackboy,cute little doll of PAIN

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.