Guys I think the PlayStation All-Stars roster is really weak. Really weak. Incredibly weak. When I see it I find myself asking is this really the best you could do?" Also I find the fact that they copied really inessential aspects of Smash Bros and changed the things that make Smash Bros work incredibly baffling. Like they chose all the wrong parts to copy and all the wrong parts to change. I also find myself thinking that a Microsoft version would somehow be better because I like the sound of that roster a lot better primarily because I loved Rare back in their heyday. So, as a thought exercise, I'd like to ask what you think the composition of the roster would be. I will have an answer that is a little elaborate. Here goes! I'll go by franchise. Compared to Nintendo obviously there are less big ones but, since the rise of XBLA as a publishing service, more small one offs that would be cool to see in a fighting game. I digress, here is the list!
- Halo (4 Characters. I'd guess Master Chief , Arbiter & Diadact. fourth could be an ODST or something Flood-like?)
- Gears (3 Characters. Marcus Phoenix, Cole Train and one of them Locusts)
- Rare (5 Characters. Banjo, Mumbo, Conker, Horstashio, Joanna Dark)
- Twisted Pixel (3 Characters. Splosion man, Captain Smilie, Gunstringer)
- Fable (3 Characters. A Good Guy, A Bad Guy, Peter Molyneux Riding a Horse)
- Forza (2 Characters if possible, guess it'd have to be 2 cars? Worked for Fighters Mega Mix)
- Alan Wake (1 Character, Alan Wake)
- Representing Xbox & Kinect (Your Avatar, Dance Agent, Dubstep Hotdog Costume Robot)
- Representing Windows (Samurai Ghost, Steve from Minecraft, Clippy)
- Representing XBLA (Jason Flemming, Trials Man, A Trench, The Kid & Geometry Wars Polygon)
- Because Who Gives a Fuck (Dracula, Shepard, Batman)
A few notes, one after the big IPs the franchise thing sort of goes away in favor of instead grouping by what bigger thing they're representing. Two that comes out to over 30 characters probably a few too many. Three I tried to give preference to Microsoft published games in the later categories except in the case where I was either going to put The Kid of Dust and decided on the kid. Finally, realistically, if one wanted to see what actual compositions might look like one might start by looking at the Minecraft Skin Packs they've been putting out for the 360 version of Minecraft. That's a fairly good benchmark and, turns out, is in some ways very similar to this breakdown here.