World Premiere over at GameTrailers

• 111 results
#1 Edited by Apathylad (3067 posts) -

Edit: bah, it looks like the embed isn't working for this video.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (phew!) was revealed today. You can check out some footage over at GameTrailers, with small details being revealed between all the commercial breaks. Check it out over here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/152

Highlights:

-Six playable characters have been shown so far:

-Third party characters will be in the game, and there may be DLC.

-Yes, it looks like a Smash Bros. clone. The LittleBigPlanet level looks a lot like the PictoChat level in Brawl.

-Speaking of which, Radec's super looks a lot like Solid Snake's Final Smash.

-There are 3-levels of supers for the characters.

-The game will be released this holiday season.

What do you guys think? I enjoy crossovers, but I'm not really attached to the Sony characters.

Update:

Here's a new video from Sony's blog.

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

Going from the original rumors, it seems that pretty much all of the rumored characters check out (except for Nathan Drake, but we all know he'll be one of them), but there's still one more-than-crazy-character:

• Kratos (God of War)
  • Nathan Drake (Uncharted)
  • Parappa (Parappa the Rapper)
  • Fat Princess (Fat Princess)
  • James Bond (...)
  • Sly Cooper (Sly Cooper)
  • Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal)
  • Colonel Mael Radec (Killzone)
#3 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1733 posts) -

I think the guy confirmed third party characters pretty clearly.   

Geoff K confirmed 60fps on twitter. 

Cross-over levels in which more than one IP is represented. 

#4 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

Sony's inability to stop information leaks is mind blowing.

#5 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

Nice, it's started:

A lot of companies copy others (Mario Golf = Hotshots Golf, for example). Guess that doesn't "excuse" this Smash Bros. imitation that Sony's putting out, but it's still a funny situation.

@jonnyboy said:

This is fucking crazy, though. Rumors of the game had started approximately 5 months ago, sure. But having nothing but these rather vague and unfounded rumors as well as the game coming out later this year? Insane.

#6 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Why is Hades attacking the patapons?

#7 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@SlightConfuse: According to this interview, all of the stages will have a mashup component, like Buzz appearing in the LittleBigPlanet stage and such.

Maybe this commercial had something to do with something after all:

#8 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3489 posts) -

I have no idea if I should be offended by just how unabashedly unoriginal the game appears to be. Well, if you're going to imitate something, you might as well aim to copy from the greatest specimen of the respective genre.

#9 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

That looks interesting. I would definitely play that, but I'll more than likely get stomped. I would like to see Klonoa in this game.

#10 Posted by MachoFantastico (4889 posts) -

It's a little shameless, but I care more for Sony characters then Nintendo so I'm interested. Looks fun and at least they are inspire by one of Nintendo's greatest games. 

#11 Posted by Skald (4370 posts) -

These characters feel like also-rans to me. I'd rather have EA make a cross-over fighter.

#12 Edited by MachoFantastico (4889 posts) -

On a side note that LittleBigPlanet stage looks pretty awesome, it builds as you play.  

Interested to hear there will be third party characters, there's certainly some interesting characters they could use. Nathan Drake is an obvious one, I'm surprised he wasn't in the announcement being a sony character and all. Guess he's Sony royalty though. :D

#13 Posted by Soap (3642 posts) -

If Parappa doesn't say 'Kick!' when he kicks and 'Punch' or 'Chop' when he punches then this game has already failed.

#14 Edited by Giantstalker (1727 posts) -

I'm not up to date on this kind of stuff, but has Nintendo even announced another Smash Brothers game at this point? For Wii-U or even 3DS? It's been, what, like four years since Brawl.

That fact alone almost makes me okay with this unabashed copy of "their" game. It all comes down to the roster in the end, and honestly, this looks like a pretty good start. I'll be watching (hope the title changes, though).

#15 Posted by BeachThunder (12412 posts) -

Um, welcome to 1999, Sony.

#16 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Dan ryckert has an article up at gameinformer, so imagine jeff was at the same event he wne tot in LA. id expect to hear some reactions on the bombcast

#17 Posted by allworkandlowpay (873 posts) -

This leaves me feeling really gross for some reason.

#18 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

@Giantstalker: they announce an new smash bros for 3ds and wii-u. the kid icarus team is working on it

#19 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@Giantstalker said:

I'm not up to date on this kind of stuff, but has Nintendo even announced another Smash Brothers game at this point? For Wii-U or even 3DS? It's been, what, like four years since Brawl.

That fact alone almost makes me okay with this unabashed copy of "their" game. It all comes down to the roster in the end, and honestly, this looks like a pretty good start. I'll be watching (hope the title changes, though).

Yes, they announced the fourth Smash Bros. game last E3 for both the Wii U and the 3DS. Here's Sakurai talking about it really recently: http://ds.ign.com/articles/122/1223789p1.html

I'm okay with this also because Smash Bros. is a Nintendo exclusive franchise. Those with only Sony platforms might not have been able to experience the fun that is that game, so this might fill that void for them.

#20 Posted by Apathylad (3067 posts) -
@Giantstalker Nothing was shown, but a Wii-U Smash Bros. was mentioned at the last E3. It's also going to have some connectivity feature with the 3DS, but it's too early to say what that means
#21 Posted by Giantstalker (1727 posts) -

Thanks for the quick responses, that Sakurai article is only two days old! Well, I guess this heats things up or something.

#22 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@Giantstalker said:

Thanks for the quick responses, that Sakurai article is only two days old! Well, I guess this heats things up or something.

Yes, E3 will be glorious. All we need now is Microsoft announcing their Smash Bros. and the stars will be aligned.

#23 Posted by Gnubberen (784 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Giantstalker said:

Yes, E3 will be glorious. All we need now is Microsoft announcing their Smash Bros. and the stars will be aligned.

Next step from there would have to be a smash bros. vs. playstation all stars vs. Microsoft's take on this :P

#24 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

A little too on the nose, no? I was expecting something more in vain of Dissidia.. not a straight up rom hack of Smash Brothers. I guess you can always trust Sony to directly rip off their competitors.

That said, I'm pretty hyped about Parappa the Rapper and there's a few other characters I really want to see in there (Daniel Fortesque!). I'm sure it could be pretty fun, especially as a handheld game. But it is a pretty gross clone and for the most part, Sony don't have the library to build up an interesting enough roster to really make it a serious challenger for Smash Bros. crown.

#25 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

@allworkandlowpay said:

This leaves me feeling really gross for some reason.

Cos it's fuckin Smash Brothers, that's why!

#26 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

I think the beginning of this video does a good job of explaining how this is not just Smash Bros. in gameplay.

#27 Posted by SuperSambo (2885 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

I think the beginning of this video does a good job of explaining how this is not just Smash Bros. in gameplay.

Those presenters are terrible...

#28 Posted by allworkandlowpay (873 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Giantstalker said:

With all your favorite Microsoft exclusive characters like Master Chief, Marcus Fenix and uh ... a Viva Pinata ... uhm ... a driver from Forza .. and ,,, uh ...

#29 Posted by robot4me (190 posts) -

Sony the kings of ripping off the competition because they have no ideas.

#30 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@allworkandlowpay: Microsoft could probably make a game with characters solely from Rare and/or Fable and (in my opinion) it'd be a much more interesting roster than this. Banjo & Kazooie vs Joanna Dark vs Fizzly Bear vs Jack of Blades.

#31 Posted by TheHT (11785 posts) -

Slap me twice and call me Daisy, it really is Sony Smash Bros.

#32 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -

Great to see.

I think this whole ''Sony ripping people off again'' is bullshit. Is it similar to Super Smash Bros? Of course, but so is Jump Ultimate Stars, Power Stone, Rag doll Kung fu and Small arms. Guess what? It's a genre.

Kendall even says - "We don't shy away from the fact that we as huge fans and as developers have borrowed from the great history fighting games have." also -

''Kendall says bringing something new is key. For example, there is no health bar. Players beat AP (attack power) out of one another. Collecting AP fills a bar that has three thresholds. The first launches a close range move that kills 1 person, the second is a burst move that can take out two or three nearby opponents, and the third generally cleans the screen.''

It's going to be similar, but a lot of the industry does the same thing. Doesn't that mean the Wii U is ripping off the Dreamcast?

#33 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -

@jonnyboy said:

Do you think maybe Sony's the one doing the leaking? one of my very best friends worked for a PR company for many years and he told me that 99% of the times information gets leaked it's due to a marketing ploy in order to create buzz and get people talking.

#34 Posted by TheRamboFetus (51 posts) -

I don't think having Fat Princess was a good choice to have as a first announcement character, it sort of makes me feel their roster is going to be dry.

#35 Posted by TheHT (11785 posts) -

@TheRamboFetus said:

I don't think having Fat Princess was a good choice to have as a first announcement character, it sort of makes me feel their roster is going to be dry.

Maybe they're just lumping her in with the others, so when they do single or pair reveals, they're more compelling? I'll admit, when I saw her on the list I kinda had a 'scratch-my-head' moment.

#36 Posted by HowDire (270 posts) -

As a fan Of Super Smash Bros Melee I am so stoked for this. Now please, please, PLEASE put Crash Bandicoot in this.

All the butthurt Nintendo fanboys are hilarious too.

#37 Posted by TheRamboFetus (51 posts) -

@HowDire: That is not going to happen.

#38 Posted by Village_Guy (2662 posts) -

Looks pretty good - now we just need to tune it up to Ultraviolence and it should be fine.

On the same note Microsoft should get cracking at their own game - and I better be able to play as a Grunt!

#39 Edited by TheRamboFetus (51 posts) -

@TheHT: Yea that would make sense since they put Radec (I had no idea who this guy was) instead of Nathan Drake.

#40 Posted by HowDire (270 posts) -

@TheRamboFetus: I can dream.

#41 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8606 posts) -

Fuck me sideways, I want to like this (the idea of Smash Bros is great for any big name to come out with) but its so shamelessy copied it just hurts.
If you'd tell me on a glance this is the new Smash Bros I'd believe you until I spotted the Sony characters.

Ah well, not the first time Sony lashes out at something first and ends up 'stealing' it later.
Guess I have one reason to get a PS3 for a dime in a few years.

#42 Posted by JackSukeru (5964 posts) -

Neato, I'll be interested to see what characters they can get from third parties.

#43 Posted by Moncole (636 posts) -

@robot4me said:

I agree, they need to come up with something original.

#44 Posted by AngelN7 (2973 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

A little too on the nose, no? I was expecting something more in vain of Dissidia.. not a straight up rom hack of Smash Brothers. I guess you can always trust Sony to directly rip off their competitors.

That said, I'm pretty hyped about Parappa the Rapper and there's a few other characters I really want to see in there (Daniel Fortesque!). I'm sure it could be pretty fun, especially as a handheld game. But it is a pretty gross clone and for the most part, Sony don't have the library to build up an interesting enough roster to really make it a serious challenger for Smash Bros. crown.

Exactly a Dissidia like gameplay would be a much better fit , the characters looks so weird in this game! but I'd say I'm curious to see Drake and what does he do I guess I don't really care if it's such a Smash rip-off because is a silly game to have fun with friends.

#45 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Fuck me sideways, I want to like this (the idea of Smash Bros is great for any big name to come out with) but its so shamelessy copied it just hurts. If you'd tell me on a glance this is the new Smash Bros I'd believe you until I spotted the Sony characters. Ah well, not the first time Sony lashes out at something first and ends up 'stealing' it later. Guess I have one reason to get a PS3 for a dime in a few years.

Yeh that's exactly how I feel.

#46 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

This is so dumb in the best way.

#47 Edited by MmaFanQc (102 posts) -

@mylifeforAiur said:

I have no idea if I should be offended by just how unabashedly unoriginal the game appears to be. Well, if you're going to imitate something, you might as well aim to copy from the greatest specimen of the respective genre.

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Fuck me sideways, I want to like this (the idea of Smash Bros is great for any big name to come out with) but its so shamelessy copied it just hurts. If you'd tell me on a glance this is the new Smash Bros I'd believe you until I spotted the Sony characters. Ah well, not the first time Sony lashes out at something first and ends up 'stealing' it later. Guess I have one reason to get a PS3 for a dime in a few years.

@WinterSnowblind said:

@robot4me said:

The King of Fighters was released by SNK in 1994

Fighter's Megamix was released by Sega in 1996

X-Men vs Street Fighter was released by Capcom in 1996

But when Nintendo released Smash Brothers its like they invented the crossover fighting genre like Apple invented touchscreen smart phones.

This is an old tried and true genre and successful formula every major game development company should have.

after all, arent all the FPS games a blatant ripoff of Wolfenstein3D?

sure the gameplay is very VERY similar to ssb, but honestly its not a reason for the nintendo fans to go apeshit because the gameplay is similar.

..if the game is good and fun...whats the problem? ...and what if the game end up being better and more fun than ssb?

lmao at fanboys....so irrationals

#48 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3489 posts) -

@MmaFanQc: What? I never said that the game would be bad. If anything, I was tacitly predicting that the game would turn out alright because it was taking certain elements from another esteemed game.

#49 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4807 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

This is so dumb in the best way.

I know right! The very first thing that came to mind when I saw that first footage was "this is stupid....I'll take two."

#50 Posted by Gabriel (4081 posts) -

Check out Kratos weapons, looks like they will be ditching the blades in Ascension.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.