World Premiere over at GameTrailers

• 111 results
#51 Edited by Shookems (474 posts) -

Come on guys. This is going to be so fucking fun.

Rip off or no, I am stoked. I want to see a Joe Danger cameo.

#52 Posted by hughesman (312 posts) -

well i guess this is about the only way anyone was gonna get a smash style game with decent online. um... it does have online right?

#53 Posted by hughesman (312 posts) -

doesn't activision own the rights to crash bandicoot now? Maybe crash and bobby kotick will be unlockab.. err... dlc characters.

#54 Posted by Hailinel (23928 posts) -

@MmaFanQc said:

@mylifeforAiur said:

I have no idea if I should be offended by just how unabashedly unoriginal the game appears to be. Well, if you're going to imitate something, you might as well aim to copy from the greatest specimen of the respective genre.

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Fuck me sideways, I want to like this (the idea of Smash Bros is great for any big name to come out with) but its so shamelessy copied it just hurts. If you'd tell me on a glance this is the new Smash Bros I'd believe you until I spotted the Sony characters. Ah well, not the first time Sony lashes out at something first and ends up 'stealing' it later. Guess I have one reason to get a PS3 for a dime in a few years.

@WinterSnowblind said:

A little too on the nose, no? I was expecting something more in vain of Dissidia.. not a straight up rom hack of Smash Brothers. I guess you can always trust Sony to directly rip off their competitors.

That said, I'm pretty hyped about Parappa the Rapper and there's a few other characters I really want to see in there (Daniel Fortesque!). I'm sure it could be pretty fun, especially as a handheld game. But it is a pretty gross clone and for the most part, Sony don't have the library to build up an interesting enough roster to really make it a serious challenger for Smash Bros. crown.

@robot4me said:

Sony the kings of ripping off the competition because they have no ideas.

The King of Fighters was released by SNK in 1994

Fighter's Megamix was released by Sega in 1996

X-Men vs Street Fighter was released by Capcom in 1996

But when Nintendo released Smash Brothers its like they invented the crossover fighting genre like Apple invented touchscreen smart phones.

This is an old tried and true genre and successful formula every major game development company should have.

after all, arent all the FPS games a blatant ripoff of Wolfenstein3D?

sure the gameplay is very VERY similar to ssb, but honestly its not a reason for the nintendo fans to go apeshit because the gameplay is similar.

..if the game is good and fun...whats the problem? ...and what if the game end up being better and more fun than ssb?

lmao at fanboys....so irrationals

KOF, FIghters Megamix and X-Men vs. Street Fighter aren't clones of each other. They just happen to occupy the same genre.

This, on the other hand, is Sony straight-up copying the Smash Bros. formula for their own use in the most shameless way possible. In a genre of fighter that includes everything from Smash Bros. to Dissidia to Power Stone, Sony would be better served making their own game, not slapping their characters into someone else's.

#55 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

HOLY SHIT I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS!

A SSB-like game with working online and HD graphics? Sign me up!

#56 Edited by Shookems (474 posts) -

Let's play guess the rest of the roster. Here's my list:

Playable characters:

Ico/ dude from sotc

Ratchet and clank Jak Nathan drake

Solid snake (super ironic)

Sack boy

Cole

Cameos:

Nobi nobi boy

Pixel junk stuff

Joe danger Journey

3D dot game heroes

Ape escape apes

Kevin butler

#57 Posted by hughesman (312 posts) -

Ah, come on. Is it really all that bad? I mean i wouldn't really call the smash bros genre saturated or anything. I actually like smash bros and if this means i can get that with HD and without friend codes then im fine with that. After all, everyone has ripped each other off at some point.

#58 Posted by Andorski (5198 posts) -

As blatant of a rip-off that it is, if the devs can accidentally create a deep combat system that captures a competitive audience like Hal Labs did with SSBM, then I'm down for this game.

#59 Posted by MmaFanQc (102 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@MmaFanQc said:

@mylifeforAiur said:

I have no idea if I should be offended by just how unabashedly unoriginal the game appears to be. Well, if you're going to imitate something, you might as well aim to copy from the greatest specimen of the respective genre.

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Fuck me sideways, I want to like this (the idea of Smash Bros is great for any big name to come out with) but its so shamelessy copied it just hurts. If you'd tell me on a glance this is the new Smash Bros I'd believe you until I spotted the Sony characters. Ah well, not the first time Sony lashes out at something first and ends up 'stealing' it later. Guess I have one reason to get a PS3 for a dime in a few years.

@WinterSnowblind said:

A little too on the nose, no? I was expecting something more in vain of Dissidia.. not a straight up rom hack of Smash Brothers. I guess you can always trust Sony to directly rip off their competitors.

That said, I'm pretty hyped about Parappa the Rapper and there's a few other characters I really want to see in there (Daniel Fortesque!). I'm sure it could be pretty fun, especially as a handheld game. But it is a pretty gross clone and for the most part, Sony don't have the library to build up an interesting enough roster to really make it a serious challenger for Smash Bros. crown.

@robot4me said:

Sony the kings of ripping off the competition because they have no ideas.

The King of Fighters was released by SNK in 1994

Fighter's Megamix was released by Sega in 1996

X-Men vs Street Fighter was released by Capcom in 1996

But when Nintendo released Smash Brothers its like they invented the crossover fighting genre like Apple invented touchscreen smart phones.

This is an old tried and true genre and successful formula every major game development company should have.

after all, arent all the FPS games a blatant ripoff of Wolfenstein3D?

sure the gameplay is very VERY similar to ssb, but honestly its not a reason for the nintendo fans to go apeshit because the gameplay is similar.

..if the game is good and fun...whats the problem? ...and what if the game end up being better and more fun than ssb?

lmao at fanboys....so irrationals

KOF, FIghters Megamix and X-Men vs. Street Fighter aren't clones of each other. They just happen to occupy the same genre.

This, on the other hand, is Sony straight-up copying the Smash Bros. formula for their own use in the most shameless way possible. In a genre of fighter that includes everything from Smash Bros. to Dissidia to Power Stone, Sony would be better served making their own game, not slapping their characters into someone else's.

Don't know why some "peoples" are getting all upset over the game though. I think its about time we got more SSB-type games. Nintendo almost had a monopoly on the format for a while and I always wanted to see someone else take a crack at it, whats wrong with inspiration? it looks interesting, certainly fun.

Hey! Here's an idea!

Why don't we purchase games based on whether we think they'll be fun or not! Oooooohhhh!!! What a concept!

#60 Posted by Hailinel (23928 posts) -

@hughesman said:

Ah, come on. Is it really all that bad? I mean i wouldn't really call the smash bros genre saturated or anything. I actually like smash bros and if this means i can get that with HD and without friend codes then im fine with that. After all, everyone has ripped each other off at some point.

It's about as unoriginal as it could possibly be and I have no intent on spending money on it. Sony could have tried making something original, but nope.

#61 Posted by mordukai (7140 posts) -

@Apathylad: So how long do you give it before SSB fanboys are gonna start spamming the official boards?

#62 Edited by Zidd (1838 posts) -

Looks interesting but unless they can 1up smash brothers by having real fighting game mechanics included I can see this going the way of small arms.

#63 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4643 posts) -

:O

This leaves a real bad taste in my mouth.

#64 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@Gabriel said:

Check out Kratos weapons, looks like they will be ditching the blades in Ascension.

That's the Arms of Sparta from Ghost of Sparta....

#65 Posted by Yummylee (21279 posts) -

@Gabriel said:

Check out Kratos weapons, looks like they will be ditching the blades in Ascension.

While I would expect that Kratos does finally roll with a new primary weapon given it's before the blades are tied to him, the spear/shield you see there is from Ghost of Sparta. Though it's not entirely unlikely that Kratos does use his spear/shield combo since it's what he was training with during his childhood (but then during the original GoW, we see him wielding a curved blade), I'm pretty sure that the inclusion in All-Stars is to reference Ghost of Sparta.

#66 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

I love the raging Nintendo fanboys and people getting upset with this silly ass game wich is trying to be a silly ass game .... Reason #3 to hate gamers.

They need to put a Collosus stage in there or have Wanderer (they guy from SOTC) as a character, they're taking sugestions!

#67 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@Abyssfull: Too slow, old man.

Anyways, from what I gather, the gameplay isn't similar to SSB at all. There's no lifebars or smashing (either out of stage or when you want to power-up a move), there's combos and items work differently. Certainly feels like it's own game, but people are going to have their dumb knee-jerk reactions anyways. It's like they're afraid Nintendo will stop making SSB games or something...

#68 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3745 posts) -

@MmaFanQc: Because copying an existing game this closely implies a lack of inspiration and thoughtfulness. That's why it bothers people. Not because "hurr, this is unfair to Nintendo."

Also, such die-hard clones of popular franchises as this appears to be rarely match or exceed the greatness of the game they're cloning... that's kind of the nature of copying. It's never as good as the original. Except this one will be online and have HD.... like presumably the next Smash Bros.

Also the type of gameplay and the characters selected seem pretty inconsistent and there's not much of a unifying theme or feel with anything in the game. It looks like a hodge-podge of ideas forced into a Smash Bros. mold. If they chose a different style of game to copy it might fit better.

#69 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

For the people complaining about this being a rip off of super smash brothers: Do you have a PS3?

Because I don't have a Wii, and I'm stoked I'll be able to get a similar game play experience on my playstation. I'm more genuinely surprised that someone hasn't whole sale ripped off the super smash brothers formula already.

#70 Posted by BoG (5184 posts) -

@Apathylad: I have to agree with your statement about Sony characters. I can't say I don't like them, I love them. Nathan Drake is a classic character! However, I don't like them in this setting. Link fits in a silly mash up world. Kratos does not.

#71 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

@BoG said:

@Apathylad: I have to agree with your statement about Sony characters. I can't say I don't like them, I love them. Nathan Drake is a classic character! However, I don't like them in this setting. Link fits in a silly mash up world. Kratos does not.

Why?

#72 Posted by Hailinel (23928 posts) -

@Shookems said:

@BoG said:

Why?

Link is a character for all ages that changes with each game he's in. Kratos is a big angry dude known more for rage, murder, and fucking.

#73 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

What's up with all the negative vibes, duders? Why is Playstation Smash Bros not awesome?

#74 Edited by Shookems (474 posts) -

@Ravenlight: This is what's baffling me right now.

@Hailinel: Who cares? It's a party game.

#75 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

Wow, this is literally super smash bros with play station guys...kinda sad sony cant come up with their own ideas. But hey, maybe the game wont suck hopefully.

#76 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Kratos is a big angry dude known more for rage, murder, and fucking.

I hope they work that into the game, too :D

#77 Posted by Yummylee (21279 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@Hailinel said:

I don't even want to imagine the amount of red orbs Kratos could 'attain' out of Fat Princess :o

#78 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

@Ravenlight said:

@Hailinel said:

I don't even want to imagine the amount of red orbs Kratos could 'attain' out of Fat Princess :o

That's Kratos's level three super move

#79 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I don't know if I like the idea of using HP bars in a game like this, but I guess if they used a % system it would be even more blatant. And Killzone guy's super is just ridiculous.

But in the end I guess it comes down to the roster and what their attacks are and how it feels to play.

#81 Posted by Hailinel (23928 posts) -
@Ravenlight

What's up with all the negative vibes, duders? Why is Playstation Smash Bros not awesome?

Unoriginal gameplay stolen from super popular game married to a roster that feels like it was chosen by committee. Even the title is generic tripe. Is there even one creative, original aspect to this game that Smash Bros. didn't do first?
#82 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

The game looks very ordinary. Extremely ordinary and extremely derivative. I love how Sony tried to shit on Nintendo 3DS in 2010 for not being innovative enough and yet literally steals one of Nintendo's games in 2012.

@AngelN7 said:

I love the raging Nintendo fanboys and people getting upset with this silly ass game wich is trying to be a silly ass game .... Reason #3 to hate gamers.

They need to put a Collosus stage in there or have Wanderer (they guy from SOTC) as a character, they're taking sugestions!

His name is Wander (or Wanda if you're being phonetically correct).

Silly ass games are fine. I love silly ass games, but would it be too hard for Sony to come up with an original idea or two? And that roster...ugh Fat Princess? Really? Parappa is a cool as fuck but he's dated as all get out. They seem so desperate to fill out a roster of relevant characters.

#83 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Ravenlight said:

The game looks very ordinary. Extremely ordinary and extremely derivative. I love how Sony tried to shit on Nintendo 3DS in 2010 for not being innovative enough and yet literally steals one of Nintendo's games in 2012.

@AngelN7 said:

Silly ass games are fine. I love silly ass games, but would it be too hard for Sony to come up with an original idea or two? And that roster...ugh Fat Princess? Really? Parappa is a cool as fuck but he's dated as all get out. They seem so desperate to fill out a roster of relevant characters.

So you don't like the roster how does that has anything to do with the quality of the game? because everybody loves the characters in Smash Bros right they're perfect? who is Ike? who was Pit before Brawl? why do we need 2 versions of Link who the hell is Mr Game Watch? it's really dumb for people to complain about this game for reasons they didn't for Smash Brothers.

I'm pretty sure Sony knows they're ripping-off Smash Brothers I don't know what the hell people want It's Sony saying 'hey we made a game like that Nintendo game but with our own characters' , this is for Sony fans you clearly don't care about those characters if you're saying Kratos or Nathan Drake or even Parappa aren't relevant it's not about that is about making something fun for the fans I do think is kinda weird and that they should've tried to emulate other style of fighting game like Dissidia but this isn't doing any harm to no one other than fanboys who got stuck in 2005 and are still fighting over consoles and game franchises.

#85 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Ravenlight said:

@AngelN7 said:

So you don't like the roster how does that has anything to do with the quality of the game? because everybody loves the characters in Smash Bros right they're perfect? who is Ike? who was Pit before Brawl? why do we need 2 versions of Link who the hell is Mr Game Watch? it's really dumb for people to complain about this game for reasons they didn't for Smash Brothers.

I'm pretty sure Sony knows they're ripping-off Smash Brothers I don't know what the hell people want It's Sony saying 'hey we made a game like that Nintendo game but with our own characters' , this is for Sony fans you clearly don't care about those characters if you're saying Kratos or Nathan Drake or even Parappa aren't relevant it's not about that is about making something fun for the fans I do think is kinda weird and that they should've tried to emulate other style of fighting game like Dissidia but this isn't doing any harm to no one other than fanboys who got stuck in 2005 and are still fighting over consoles and game franchises.

I didn't say that Drake and Kratos aren't relevant. Parappa is debatable (he's not a fighter but a rapper after all and he solves his crises with raps not violence) but I'd err on the side of the fact that a ton of people don't even know who he (or Un Jammy Lammer or Master Onion) is. There's no need to tell me what kind of fan I am as some means to diminish my point of view. I clearly am I fan. I don't dislike the roster, but definitely think it's incredibly spartan, randomly/committee selected and rushed. Smash Brothers had many revisions before Mr Game Watch entered the fray and the other stuff is, once again, contextual to multiple revisions of SB over multiple consoles and years. None of that makes THIS game any less derivative than it really is.

I don't think Sony should be emulating anything at all. They should be making an original title. It's that simple. Sony is taking their audience back a step with this as far as I'm concerned.

#86 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow said:

I don't think Sony should be emulating anything at all. They should be making an original title. It's that simple. Sony is taking their audience back a step with this as far as I'm concerned.

"Their audience" hasn't even generally been exposed to Super Smash Bros., so how is it taking them back if they haven't owned a Wii and they'll be able to enjoy a similar experience on the PS3?

#87 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

"Their audience" hasn't even generally been exposed to Super Smash Bros., so how is it taking them back if they haven't owned a Wii and they'll be able to enjoy a similar experience on the PS3?

You're trying to tell me that Nintendo's successful franchise hasn't been consumed by the same people who purchased a PS3? You can't be serious. Nintendo was the leading console this generation for almost the whole generation. The chances that those who owned PS3 owned a Wii are extremely high let alone the fact they probably owned an N64 or Gamecube. Their exposure potential for SB is extremely high.

#88 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow said:

The chances that those who owned PS3 owned a Wii are extremely high let alone the fact they probably owned an N64 or Gamecube. Their exposure potential for SB is extremely high.

Actually, I don't think so. A lot of enthusiasts have had the chance to own a Gamecube or a Wii along with a PS3, but I doubt that this is even a significant majority. You're basing yourself on the assumption that all of those who'll get this game already have experienced Super Smash Bros., and I don't think that's accurate.

#89 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

The chances that those who owned PS3 owned a Wii are extremely high let alone the fact they probably owned an N64 or Gamecube. Their exposure potential for SB is extremely high.

Actually, I don't think so. A lot of enthusiasts have had the chance to own a Gamecube or a Wii along with a PS3, but I doubt that this is even a significant majority. You're basing yourself on the assumption that all of those who'll get this game already have experienced Super Smash Bros., and I don't think that's accurate.

Let's agree to disagree.

#90 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow: But all of those characters are the same ones you'll find a any wishlist for this game when it was just a rumor , again the roster dosn't determine the quality of the game specially when the only ones complaning are people who don't care for those characters in the first place you describe Fat Princess as Ugh how is not that disliking the roster already? , does it really matter where they pull this characters from? like Ike who was him I didn't know who was him when I played Brawl but I didn't feel like the game was bad for it nor did I feel Nintento pull him out of obscurity (wich is exactly what they did) to compensate for not having enough characters . Capitan Falcon isn't a fighter either so how is Parrapa more weirder than him?, again pretty shalow reaons just reasons to shit on Sony for doing what is no other than a silly fanservice game, yes the game isn't original at all does that really matter? were people this upset when SEGA made a Mario Kart rip-off? Christ.

#91 Posted by 49th (2692 posts) -

Wow it looks identical to Smash Bros... which is awesome!

#92 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

@SeriouslyNow: But all of those characters are the same ones you'll find a any wishlist for this game when it was just a rumor , again the roster dosn't determine the quality of the game specially when the only ones complaning are people who don't care for those characters in the first place you describe Fat Princess as Ugh how is not that disliking the roster already? , does it really matter where they pull this characters from? like Ike who was him I didn't know who was him when I played Brawl but I didn't feel like the game was bad for it nor did I feel Nintento pull him out of obscurity (wich is exactly what they did) to compensate for not having enough characters . Capitan Falcon isn't a fighter either so how is Parrapa more weirder than him?, again pretty shalow reaons just reasons to shit on Sony for doing what is no other than a silly fanservice game, yes the game isn't original at all does that really matter? were people this upset when SEGA made a Mario Kart rip-off? Christ.

Who says I'm upset? I feel Sony has missed an opportunity to make something really cool and original. I'm allowed to say without defense force jumping at me right? Please have some perspective. I'm allowed to say Fat Princess seems like a really poor choice when Sony has such a wonderful selection of characters to draw from, right? It doesn't have to mean that I hate the game outright, right?

#93 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow: How do you expect for me to make sense of describing something as "ugh" and "would it be too hard for Sony to come up with an original idea or two?" as you disliking something? if not then you have a weird way to show indifference , I also love how trying to make any sense of your complaints makes me part of a defense force.

#94 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

@SeriouslyNow: How do you expect for me to make sense of describing something as "ugh" and "would it be too hard for Sony to come up with an original idea or two?" as you disliking something? if not then you have a weird way to show indifference , I also love how trying to make any sense of your complaints makes me part of a defense force.

I'm not being indifferent. I outright do not like the choice of Fat Princess and I'm allowed to say so. I don't need to expect you to do anything as nothing I've said refers to you but to this specific game which you have neither created, nor funded. There is no need for you to take my comments personally when they are not aimed at you. When it comes to this game we're both on equal footing as potential buyers and that's it. Please afford me the respect of the right to voice my opinion on my potential purchase as I see fit. It's all I've done with you or anyone else.

#95 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow said:

@AngelN7 said:

I'm not being indifferent. I outright do not like the choice of Fat Princess and I'm allowed to say so. I don't need to expect you to do anything as nothing I've said refers to you but to this specific game which you have neither created, nor funded. There is no need for you to take my comments personally when they are not aimed at you. When it comes to this game we're both on equal footing as potential buyers and that's it. Please afford me the respect of the right to voice my opinion on my potential purchase as I see fit. It's all I've done with you or anyone else.

That's not what I was discussing but oh well, you can totally say what you want about anything on this game just as much as I do so let's leave it at that.

#96 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

When the new super smash brothers comes out and it's exactly the same as melee and brawl everyone will be singing praise

#97 Posted by Hailinel (23928 posts) -
@Sreya

@Hailinel said:

@Ravenlight

Unoriginal gameplay stolen from super popular game married to a roster that feels like it was chosen by committee. Even the title is generic tripe. Is there even one creative, original aspect to this game that Smash Bros. didn't do first?

You're acting like Smash Bros. is the first and only game in it's genre, it's not, it just happens to be the most popular. You can't associate a genre of game to one franchise.

It's not the only game in the genre, but other games have their own gameplay styles and mechanics. Power Stone and Dissidia are two such examples of how to make such a game.
#98 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Shookems said:

When the new super smash brothers comes out and it's exactly the same as melee and brawl everyone will be singing praise

Sorta like how every CoD MW game is basically the same and sells really well to its audience and yet games which mindlessly copy it or blatantly copy its elements are rightly criticised. While I feel there's nothing wrong with Sony outright lifting SB from Nintendo they (and their fans) have to be conscious of those who rightly criticise them for being unoriginal and making some really poor selections of characters for the roster as it's so far announced.

#100 Posted by Hailinel (23928 posts) -
@Sreya Tekken and Street Fighter are the same genre. They just use different mechanics.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.