DualShock can be used instead of the Navigational Controller!

#1 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -

According to IGN,

However, it turns out that the navigation controller isn't a necessity. If you want to, you can hold your SixAxis or DualShock 3 controller in your left hand and the PlayStation Move in your right and not miss a beat. The navigation controller does have a few extra buttons on it, but the ones you need to play games – L1, L2 and an analog stick – are all right where you need them on the SixAxis/DualShock 3's left side.  

I think a lot of us speculated on this fact but I guess it's true.
 
That takes $29.99 off the cost of the Move controller, unless you decide to opt in for the luxury of a smaller controller.

#2 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

damn it you post it first... oh well 
 
But yes! That is a good news... I guess. 
 
I mean... if you're gonna hold a controller, you might as well play the game with a controller. 
 
It kinda makes Move unnecessary.... Nonethless, it is good that they don't require your to have the navigation controller.
#3 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

Kinda awkward, no?

#4 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -
@nohthink said:
" damn it you post it first... oh well  But yes! That is a good news... I guess.  I mean... if you're gonna hold a controller, you might as well play the game with a controller.  It kinda makes Move unnecessary.... Nonethless, it is good that they don't require your to have the navigation controller. "
Well, the thing about Move is that you ARE using a controller. They poke fun at the Kinect indirectly for not having any controller during Kevin Butler's performance in the Sony conference.
 
With the Kinect you can only wail about, but not actually control your character's movement or actions beyond that.
 
Both the Wii and the Move give more control over to the player. I suspect that Nintendo and Sony both looked at Sony's failed Eyetoy attempt as well as the lukewarm PSeye to come to similar conclusions as to why they need controllers.
#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@animateria said:
" @nohthink said:
" damn it you post it first... oh well  But yes! That is a good news... I guess.  I mean... if you're gonna hold a controller, you might as well play the game with a controller.  It kinda makes Move unnecessary.... Nonethless, it is good that they don't require your to have the navigation controller. "
  With the Kinect you can only wail about, but not actually control your character's movement or actions beyond that.  \
I wanna know how MS is gonna fix this. Unless they invest in stuff like time crisis. 
#6 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4895 posts) -

That sounds difficult.

#7 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -
@Xtrememuffinman said:
" Kinda awkward, no? "
Thats what I was just thinking.  
I suppose it's a solution though.
#8 Posted by gike987 (1755 posts) -
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" That sounds difficult. "
That's probably why they made a navigation controller. It's still good if you don't have money to buy a navigation controller and the move at the same time.
#9 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -
@odintal said:
" @Xtrememuffinman said:
" Kinda awkward, no? "
Thats what I was just thinking.  I suppose it's a solution though. "
The DS is a bit hefty but the Sixaxis seems fine. I guess it's one of the perks of having the older gen PS3 I suppose... (Oh, and emulation :D)
#10 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4895 posts) -
@gike987 said:
" @SJSchmidt93 said:
" That sounds difficult. "
That's probably why they made a navigation controller. It's still good if you don't have money to buy a navigation controller and the move at the same time. "
What about like boxing or bow and arrow games? You need two controllers, and the Sixaxis nonsense won't be as accurate as the actual navigation controller.
#11 Posted by PufferFiz (1379 posts) -
@odintal said:
" @Xtrememuffinman said:
" Kinda awkward, no? "
Thats what I was just thinking.  I suppose it's a solution though. "
yeah it SOUNDS like it but I don't want to denounce that idea with trying it for myself.  But this is good since the 30 price tag for the sub was a little much.
#12 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -
@animateria said:
" @odintal said:
" @Xtrememuffinman said:
" Kinda awkward, no? "
Thats what I was just thinking.  I suppose it's a solution though. "
The DS is a bit hefty but the Sixaxis seems fine. I guess it's one of the perks of having the older gen PS3 I suppose... (Oh, and emulation :D) "
Yeah rumble is a last gen feature anyway.
#13 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" @gike987 said:
" @SJSchmidt93 said:
" That sounds difficult. "
That's probably why they made a navigation controller. It's still good if you don't have money to buy a navigation controller and the move at the same time. "
What about like boxing or bow and arrow games? You need two controllers, and the Sixaxis nonsense won't be as accurate as the actual navigation controller. "
Well do you use buttons during those games? Holding the PS3 controller in the middle is pretty natural if you don't.
#14 Edited by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

I just tried it with my own Dualshock controller. It is manageable to hold it in one hand the way you would with that navigation controller. I guess Sony must have thought of this beforehand.

#15 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -
@PufferFiz said:
" @odintal said:
" @Xtrememuffinman said:
" Kinda awkward, no? "
Thats what I was just thinking.  I suppose it's a solution though. "
yeah it SOUNDS like it but I don't want to denounce that idea with trying it for myself.  But this is good since the 30 price tag for the sub was a little much. "
I quasi tried it by holding my DS in my left hand and a wiimote in my right. 
Feels wrong. I'd hate to have to move around too quick with the DS. It might embed itself in my drywall.
#16 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@odintal said:

" @PufferFiz said:

" @odintal said:
" @Xtrememuffinman said:
" Kinda awkward, no? "
Thats what I was just thinking.  I suppose it's a solution though. "
yeah it SOUNDS like it but I don't want to denounce that idea with trying it for myself.  But this is good since the 30 price tag for the sub was a little much. "
I quasi tried it by holding my DS in my left hand and a wiimote in my right. Feels wrong. I'd hate to have to move around too quick with the DS. It might embed itself in my drywall. "
"U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission Mandates Wrist Straps for all Sixaxis and Dualshock Controllers"
#17 Posted by kingclaw (757 posts) -
@FrankCanada97 said:
" I just tried it with my own Dualshock controller. it is manageable to hold it in one hand the way you would with that navigation controller. I guess Sony must have thought of this beforehand. "
I  tried it  to, and as long as I don´t need to pres L1+L2 everything feel ok.
#18 Posted by defaulttag (890 posts) -

just tried it too. it's not uncomfortable.... so i guess it works

#19 Edited by Lego_My_Eggo (1053 posts) -

less then ideal but at least the option is there. i still think this with some analog stick would have been best. because then you have a dualshock and a move all in one.
 
edit: also hopefully this means devs can make move games with a navigation controller in mind and not worry, as everyone has a ps3 controller to substitute.

#20 Posted by JB16 (745 posts) -

I just held my remote control(move substitute) and my dualshock controller in the same manner I would hold move. And it doesn't feel too awkward, I could actually get used to playing my games like that.

#21 Posted by Shirogane (3574 posts) -

Dualshock's a bit heavy to hold in one hand properly,although that's only for now really i guess. Once you get used to it it should probably be perfectly fine. At least, that's what i'm assuming...
#22 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -
@animateria said:
" @SJSchmidt93 said:
" @gike987 said:
" @SJSchmidt93 said:
" That sounds difficult. "
That's probably why they made a navigation controller. It's still good if you don't have money to buy a navigation controller and the move at the same time. "
What about like boxing or bow and arrow games? You need two controllers, and the Sixaxis nonsense won't be as accurate as the actual navigation controller. "
Well do you use buttons during those games? Holding the PS3 controller in the middle is pretty natural if you don't. "
Move wand has buttons on it.
#23 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

I'll buy it if some money-space becomes available. Until then, I'll be happy using the 30 dollar cheaper alternative.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.