Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Move Support

Concept »

PlayStation Move is a motion control system for the PlayStation 3 console, allowing for fluid control of objects in a simulated 3D space.

DualShock can be used instead of the Navigational Controller!

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By animateria

According to IGN,

However, it turns out that the navigation controller isn't a necessity. If you want to, you can hold your SixAxis or DualShock 3 controller in your left hand and the PlayStation Move in your right and not miss a beat. The navigation controller does have a few extra buttons on it, but the ones you need to play games – L1, L2 and an analog stick – are all right where you need them on the SixAxis/DualShock 3's left side.  

I think a lot of us speculated on this fact but I guess it's true.

That takes $29.99 off the cost of the Move controller, unless you decide to opt in for the luxury of a smaller controller.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By nohthink

damn it you post it first... oh well 

But yes! That is a good news... I guess. 

I mean... if you're gonna hold a controller, you might as well play the game with a controller. 

It kinda makes Move unnecessary.... Nonethless, it is good that they don't require your to have the navigation controller.
    Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
    Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

Kinda awkward, no?

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By animateria
    @nohthink said:
    " damn it you post it first... oh well  But yes! That is a good news... I guess.  I mean... if you're gonna hold a controller, you might as well play the game with a controller.  It kinda makes Move unnecessary.... Nonethless, it is good that they don't require your to have the navigation controller. "
    Well, the thing about Move is that you ARE using a controller. They poke fun at the Kinect indirectly for not having any controller during Kevin Butler's performance in the Sony conference.

With the Kinect you can only wail about, but not actually control your character's movement or actions beyond that.

Both the Wii and the Move give more control over to the player. I suspect that Nintendo and Sony both looked at Sony's failed Eyetoy attempt as well as the lukewarm PSeye to come to similar conclusions as to why they need controllers.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @animateria said:
    " @nohthink said:
    " damn it you post it first... oh well  But yes! That is a good news... I guess.  I mean... if you're gonna hold a controller, you might as well play the game with a controller.  It kinda makes Move unnecessary.... Nonethless, it is good that they don't require your to have the navigation controller. "
      With the Kinect you can only wail about, but not actually control your character's movement or actions beyond that.  \
    I wanna know how MS is gonna fix this. Unless they invest in stuff like time crisis. 
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By sjschmidt93

That sounds difficult.

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Xtrememuffinman said:
    " Kinda awkward, no? "
    Thats what I was just thinking.  
    I suppose it's a solution though.
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gike987
    @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " That sounds difficult. "
    That's probably why they made a navigation controller. It's still good if you don't have money to buy a navigation controller and the move at the same time.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By animateria
    @odintal said:
    " @Xtrememuffinman said:
    " Kinda awkward, no? "
    Thats what I was just thinking.  I suppose it's a solution though. "
    The DS is a bit hefty but the Sixaxis seems fine. I guess it's one of the perks of having the older gen PS3 I suppose... (Oh, and emulation :D)
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#10  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @gike987 said:
    " @SJSchmidt93 said:
    That's probably why they made a navigation controller. It's still good if you don't have money to buy a navigation controller and the move at the same time. "
    What about like boxing or bow and arrow games? You need two controllers, and the Sixaxis nonsense won't be as accurate as the actual navigation controller.
    PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By PufferFiz
    @odintal said:
    " @Xtrememuffinman said:
    " Kinda awkward, no? "
    yeah it SOUNDS like it but I don't want to denounce that idea with trying it for myself.  But this is good since the 30 price tag for the sub was a little much.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animateria said:
    " @odintal said:
    " @Xtrememuffinman said:
    " Kinda awkward, no? "
    The DS is a bit hefty but the Sixaxis seems fine. I guess it's one of the perks of having the older gen PS3 I suppose... (Oh, and emulation :D) "
    Yeah rumble is a last gen feature anyway.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By animateria
    @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " @gike987 said:
    " @SJSchmidt93 said:
    That's probably why they made a navigation controller. It's still good if you don't have money to buy a navigation controller and the move at the same time. "
    What about like boxing or bow and arrow games? You need two controllers, and the Sixaxis nonsense won't be as accurate as the actual navigation controller. "
    Well do you use buttons during those games? Holding the PS3 controller in the middle is pretty natural if you don't.
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By FrankCanada97

I just tried it with my own Dualshock controller. It is manageable to hold it in one hand the way you would with that navigation controller. I guess Sony must have thought of this beforehand.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PufferFiz said:
    " @odintal said:
    " @Xtrememuffinman said:
    " Kinda awkward, no? "
    yeah it SOUNDS like it but I don't want to denounce that idea with trying it for myself.  But this is good since the 30 price tag for the sub was a little much. "
    I quasi tried it by holding my DS in my left hand and a wiimote in my right. 
    Feels wrong. I'd hate to have to move around too quick with the DS. It might embed itself in my drywall.
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @odintal said:

" @PufferFiz said:

" @odintal said:
    " @Xtrememuffinman said:
    " Kinda awkward, no? "
    yeah it SOUNDS like it but I don't want to denounce that idea with trying it for myself.  But this is good since the 30 price tag for the sub was a little much. "
    I quasi tried it by holding my DS in my left hand and a wiimote in my right. Feels wrong. I'd hate to have to move around too quick with the DS. It might embed itself in my drywall. "
    "U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission Mandates Wrist Straps for all Sixaxis and Dualshock Controllers"
    kingclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kingclaw
    @FrankCanada97 said:
    " I just tried it with my own Dualshock controller. it is manageable to hold it in one hand the way you would with that navigation controller. I guess Sony must have thought of this beforehand. "
    I  tried it  to, and as long as I don´t need to pres L1+L2 everything feel ok.
    defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By defaulttag

just tried it too. it's not uncomfortable.... so i guess it works

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By lego_my_eggo

less then ideal but at least the option is there. i still think this with some analog stick would have been best. because then you have a dualshock and a move all in one.

edit: also hopefully this means devs can make move games with a navigation controller in mind and not worry, as everyone has a ps3 controller to substitute.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By JB16

I just held my remote control(move substitute) and my dualshock controller in the same manner I would hold move. And it doesn't feel too awkward, I could actually get used to playing my games like that.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By shirogane

Dualshock's a bit heavy to hold in one hand properly,although that's only for now really i guess. Once you get used to it it should probably be perfectly fine. At least, that's what i'm assuming...
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By mosdl
    @animateria said:
    " @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " @gike987 said:
    " @SJSchmidt93 said:
    What about like boxing or bow and arrow games? You need two controllers, and the Sixaxis nonsense won't be as accurate as the actual navigation controller. "
    Well do you use buttons during those games? Holding the PS3 controller in the middle is pretty natural if you don't. "
    Move wand has buttons on it.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FunExplosions

I'll buy it if some money-space becomes available. Until then, I'll be happy using the 30 dollar cheaper alternative.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.