Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Move Support

Concept »

PlayStation Move is a motion control system for the PlayStation 3 console, allowing for fluid control of objects in a simulated 3D space.

Is the Nintendo Wii even in the running anymore?

Tradog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Tradog

After the playstation move? I mean Sony took something of the Wii and made it 10x better and same thing with Xbox connect, after this will the Wii even be worth having anymore? (Well besides Wii exclusives) I'm not sure what Nintendo plans to do to keep up. What do you guys think?
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Vorbis

Wii 2 is already in production.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Shadow

People own the Wii and there really doesn't seem to be much reason to buy the Move if you already own one.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By c1337us

Since I already own the Wii both Move and Kinect are going to struggle to warrant my money. Everything both of them have on it seems rubbish to me so I would rather just stick to the Wii.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By Icemael

Uh... yes? Why would I pay almost $100 for the "privilege" of playing almost exclusively third-rate shovelware when I already have a Wii, which came with a motion controller, and has kickass exclusives?

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zityz

I don't know what you mean by running. Concidering that the Move is NOT Sony's main controller nor will it be. The Kinect is a neat piece of tech but by no means is it a contender for "MOTION CONTROL SUPREMECY-Y-Y-Y" *echo* Again, the Kinect is NOT Microsofts main audience grabber, or its main focus still. 

Also look at it from this standpoint. If you have a Wii you either know how you feel about motion controll; you probabaly don't want to spend the cash on more motion controlls or you may not like motion controls, same thing applies to the Kinect. 

Lastly, before you say "Graphics will make it look better" or "They will make good games with their controller" I have a feeling that they will have roughly around 25% of them really good, 25% of them that are designed for both control schemes that probabaly work better with the standard controller ( Killzone 3, Sonic Riders) and 50% of them detailed graphic mini games.  

So, yes they're still in the "running" even though they're still in there own market. Remember, one uses it as its main focus of games (alongside the Nintendo branding). The other uses it as an afterthought.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hunkulese

I don't really see why anyone would buy the move. Especially if they already have a wii. By now I'm pretty sure most people have realized that motion control games are mostly gimmick based. I'd rather use a regular controller for any game besides party games. 

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Jimbo

Wii inc. Sports Resort & Motion Plus = £130
    PS3 inc. game & Move = ~£330

That's how Nintendo will keep up.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Nintendo also has the name (for better or worse) which people recognize and will associate with a decent piece of hardware unlike some playstation or box thingie...
    Gotta think mainstream I guess!

And yeah, Wii is fun and all that, but I have no desire to go bowling the same way as I do on my Wii....BUT IN HD! YEAH!...No...

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

@Icemael said:
    "

Uh... yes? Why would I pay almost $100 for the "privilege" of playing almost exclusively third-rate shovelware when I already have a Wii, which came with a motion controller, and has kickass exclusives?

"
    Implying that a majority of the Wii's library isn't shovelware. 

In other news, Nintendo doesn't have to compete because everyone even remotely interested in it already owns it.

End of story.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#11  Edited By Icemael
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " @Icemael said:
    "

"
    Implying that a majority of the Wii's library isn't shovelware. "

Read the post properly. The difference between the Move's library and the Wii's library is the the former has almost exclusively shovelware, while the latter has tons of shovelware and a slew of great games, including some of the generation's finest.
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By carlthenimrod

The software is what really sold the Wii, not the hardware. I don't think Sony or MS really have a killer app like WiiSports to push their products. 

And if those things don't sell, then they won't be supported, no matter how superior they are from a hardware perspective.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @Tradog said:
    " After the playstation move? I mean Sony took something of the Wii and made it 10x better and same thing with Xbox connect, after this will the Wii even be worth having anymore? (Well besides Wii exclusives) I'm not sure what Nintendo plans to do to keep up. What do you guys think? "

I don't think Nintendo has to "keep up" with anyone, having sold 74 million units, as compared to Sony's 38 million PS3 and Microsoft's 42 million 360. Unless you are implying Move will sell 36 million consoles, of course. If Sony and Microsoft are now giving motion support to their consoles is because they see how successful it can be. 
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Willy105

The thing is, Move will have to do extremely well to even begin to be considered an actual threat to the Wii, and it will also need a library to match it. To make it worse for Move, Nintendo is already moving on to the next thing.

Jasonofindy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Jasonofindy

Considering the size of its user base, Nintendo is hardly in a position where it really needs to be concerned about add-on peripherals with unproven sales viability.  If anything, the existence of the Move could actually bolster 3rd party development of additional "gamer" games because now instead of risking the entire budget on a Wii exclusive that may or may not sell, 3rd parties have the additional option of porting the game to the PS3 or PSN as a Move game for a second chance. (assuming Move sales reach some sort of critical mass which currently seems dubious unless Sony can come up with a must have "killer app"). 

On a side note, I would not be totally surprised to hear next E3 that a new Nintendo console would be launching in Holiday 2011 with Zelda: Skyward Sword as a launch title.  (Although Holiday 2012 seems more likely given their likely reluctance to launch a new console so closely with the launch of the 3DS)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.