Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Move Support

Concept »

PlayStation Move is a motion control system for the PlayStation 3 console, allowing for fluid control of objects in a simulated 3D space.

No condom for Move?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Claude

Thinking about Move and the mentioned controller, I thought about the other motion controller out there. The problems the Wii Remote went through are well known. The wrist strap broke which was replaced leading eventually to the silicon glove that is now standard. 

I use the glove when company is over, too many times the Wii Remote was dropped or thrown across the room, ceiling or floor. 

How durable is that globe on top of Move? I found feedback that mention the weight of Move, but really nothing about what if you dropped it or threw it across the room, accidentally of course. Hell, sometimes I still drop my Xbox 360 controller, accidentally of course. 

Nintendo learned that the strap was not enough long ago. Did Sony miss this or is it a non issue?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Jeust

You should have a word with Sony, since the controller isn't out yet. :p 

We don't know more than you do about a Move condom. 

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By sodiumCyclops

it would be good for everyone if they made the controller 'textured' instead of the slick plastic like the wiimote.

It should be slightly more grainy than the 360 controller.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Hamz

Perhaps the Sony wrist strap will be stronger than the default Wii Remote strap?

I would have liked to have seen some kind of rubber grip covering some area of the controller so there is less chance of sweaty palms sliding about. I'm a bit OCD about being handed sweaty controllers.....

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

I just want to know what's going to protect that plastic ball.  The way it's built, it looks like a good hard swing could break it off if it smashed into something.  Also, what if the light burns out?  How do you replace it?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Linkyshinks: Let alone the demos and vids they've shown have people spinning the Move in the air.  It'll be pretty indefensible if a claim goes to court.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Andorski
    @Hailinel said:
    " I just want to know what's going to protect that plastic ball.  The way it's built, it looks like a good hard swing could break it off if it smashed into something.  Also, what if the light burns out?  How do you replace it? "
    For no reason, I've always imagined the ball to be some type of translucent rubber sphere with an LED inside.  It'd be funny if it was built like an actual (fragile) light bulb.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hamz
    @Andorski:@Hailinel: I agree that it likely has been designed to pop off if it gets bumped so it doesn't break. And perhaps because Sony will sell external bulb pieces in different colours so people can have all their Move controllers coloured the same?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel
    @Hamz said:
    " @Andorski:@Hailinel: I agree that it likely has been designed to pop off if it gets bumped so it doesn't break. And perhaps because Sony will sell external bulb pieces in different colours so people can have all their Move controllers coloured the same? "
    It doesn't work like that.  The bulb can actually be programmed to change color, so P1 might be blue, P2 red, or it might use the colors as a health gauge, or something like that.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#10  Edited By jeff

For the record, the ball is extremely squishy.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Jeff said:

" For the record, the ball is extremely squishy. "

How...squishy? And did you feel dirty using the move remote? Did you fight the urge to make a dirty comment?  

*cough cough* 

Did it give 1 to 1 movement? Did it feel better then the Wii mote? 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By xyzygy

Uhhh... it's squishy...??? This controller is getting stupider and stupider the more I hear of it. Every time I hear something new about it, I find out this strange piece of information that honestly makes me wonder if I dreamt it up or not. But then I re-read, and come to realize that... this is real :| 

Odd, odd, odd, odd. Such an... odd... controller. And I don't see how this is viable for a 3+ year old console with not even half as many units sold as the Wii, especially with a hardcore audience. Not to mention the look of the thing.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#13  Edited By jeff
    @The_Laughing_Man: Squishy enough to hopefully not break anything if you ram the wand into your TV. But firm enough to pop back into shape after being squeezed. 

It felt more stable and accurate than the Wii Remote, even with a Motion Plus attached. Not necessarily 1:1, though. After all, it doesn't know how big your TV is and can't line things up that way. It also felt a bit more ergonomic than the Wii Remote. The concept of head tracking via the camera seems like a neat idea, too. It's got potential, but it's still obviously building off of the Nintendo framework. 

Just imagine playing a third-person shooter with a Remote + Nunchuk. Now imagine if it was a bit easier to get precise headshots because the motion and aiming isn't as jerky. Now imagine that the game is running in 720p, letting you see those heads better when they're at a great distance. That's SOCOM 4. 

From what I've seen so far, the Move is all about "refine," not "redefine." But Sony says they're just getting started and will probably have more software to announce both before and at E3.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Red12b

@Jeff 

The future of Telidildonics is here.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Claude

As a motion fan, this all sounds very intriguing. It would be cool to get my first PS3 with a Move bundle, ironic too.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Jeff said:

" @The_Laughing_Man: Squishy enough to hopefully not break anything if you ram the wand into your TV. But firm enough to pop back into shape after being squeezed.  It felt more stable and accurate than the Wii Remote, even with a Motion Plus attached. Not necessarily 1:1, though. After all, it doesn't know how big your TV is and can't line things up that way. It also felt a bit more ergonomic than the Wii Remote. The concept of head tracking via the camera seems like a neat idea, too. It's got potential, but it's still obviously building off of the Nintendo framework.  Just imagine playing a third-person shooter with a Remote + Nunchuk. Now imagine if it was a bit easier to get precise headshots because the motion and aiming isn't as jerky. Now imagine that the game is running in 720p, letting you see those heads better when they're at a great distance. That's SOCOM 4.  From what I've seen so far, the Move is all about "refine," not "redefine." But Sony says they're just getting started and will probably have more software to announce both before and at E3. "

Interesting. IDid the button placement feel natural?  

Nother question. What kind of tracking device is inside the ball?  

Edit. Never mind the motion capture comment. 
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By mosdl
    @xyzygy said:

" Uhhh... it's squishy...??? This controller is getting stupider and stupider the more I hear of it. Every time I hear something new about it, I find out this strange piece of information that honestly makes me wonder if I dreamt it up or not. But then I re-read, and come to realize that... this is real :|  Odd, odd, odd, odd. Such an... odd... controller. And I don't see how this is viable for a 3+ year old console with not even half as many units sold as the Wii, especially with a hardcore audience. Not to mention the look of the thing. "

My gf would happily be playing Diner Dash on my ps3 but she finds the controller cumbersome compared to a mouse.  I can see the Move helping to move "casual" (hate the term) gamers to the consoles.
    Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Organicalistic_
    Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Organicalistic_
    @Jeff: The squishy ball, is it sticky, like will it pick up dirt and stuff?

edit: also, do you think if it can it will be easy to clean?
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By TheHBK

I am not thinking that the ball will break since its squishee, my thought is that it might break off the remote.  They better have replacements for those.  I bet sony will also sell different colored balls for people to accesorize. 
    I think the company line will be our gamers are smart enough to not let the remote go.  Or that this is a premium product and that their customers can afford to buy plenty of replacements and new Sony Bravia TVs

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.