Playstation Move Shortage

Posted by Dizazter (83 posts) -

Has anyone else noticed a massive shortage of Playstation Move controllers? Amazon has been out of stock of them for months. Best Buy and Target  are also sold out of the controller by itself, but some still have the bundle. And it seems every time I go to a store with electronics, they are out of stock also. What is the deal? I know these things were not that popular, so what is Sony doing? Just short supplying the retailers, since this thing wasn't a raging success? Yet Sony themselves, said they didn't not expect large launch numbers, and that we're seeing it more as a slow performer that would do well over time.  Sony, ya can't sell something that no one has in stock!

#1 Posted by Dizazter (83 posts) -

Has anyone else noticed a massive shortage of Playstation Move controllers? Amazon has been out of stock of them for months. Best Buy and Target  are also sold out of the controller by itself, but some still have the bundle. And it seems every time I go to a store with electronics, they are out of stock also. What is the deal? I know these things were not that popular, so what is Sony doing? Just short supplying the retailers, since this thing wasn't a raging success? Yet Sony themselves, said they didn't not expect large launch numbers, and that we're seeing it more as a slow performer that would do well over time.  Sony, ya can't sell something that no one has in stock!

#2 Posted by Valkyr (669 posts) -

There are no core games that support move yet, KZ 3 is the first that comes to my mind but Dead Space 2 has no excuse for not letting you use the move RE4 Wii Edition style. I'll be getting it for KZ3 multiplayer but I'll wait till a good game is bundled with the starter pack, Top Spin 4 maybe?, I see Sony pushing a Socom 4 bundle but I'm not exited by that game at all, a pseye+move+navigation controller pack would be more convenient to suit everyone.
The other reason is that Wii only owners (do they exist?) could be getting the 320 gb bundle that comes with the move and also some people are replacing their old phat models so standalone starter packs big stocks are not needed.

#3 Posted by Dizazter (83 posts) -
@Valkyr: 

MAG supports move, not sure if you consider that a "core game", but I would. There's also Resident Evil 5 and Little Big Planet 2. 
I'm not really debating whether move is good or bad, I'm just perplexed by the fact its sold out in so many places.

Regardless of slim or fat model, a lot of consumers already have the playstation eye, and a bundle makes zero sense for them. Not mention the fact, once you buy 1 bundle, and you want a 2nd controller, what are you supposed to do?

But something is up, as retailers have "peg space" allocated to this item, and they are always out of stock. If there was no intention to carry the item, there wouldn't be peg space allocated to it. Peg space is at premium at retailers, so they don't just waste space like that for no reason.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.