Help me spend $20 on PSN.

#1 Edited by BormahAl (68 posts) -

Hey Giantbomb. I'm slowly making my move towards a digital game library and today I'm looking to add another game to this. What $20 PSN game would you suggest. Here's a list of some I already have.

Far Cry 2

Saints Row 2

Borderlands

GTA IV: Complete Edition

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory HD (pretty good imo)

Burnout Paradise

Journey

I have played Mass Effect 1 and I was considering buying Mass Effect 2. My only issue with ME2 is that I've heard it's more of a shooter than an RPG.

#2 Posted by MethodMan008 (814 posts) -

Out of those... Borderlands or ME2, is what I would pick.

Skull Girls comes out next week... fyi :P

#3 Posted by BormahAl (68 posts) -

@MethodMan008 said:

I got Borderlands. How would you compare ME2 to ME1?

#4 Posted by Jpnkrck (16 posts) -

Darksiders is alright, and you should really get ME2, even with its faults, it's still pretty amazing.

#5 Posted by BormahAl (68 posts) -

@TentPole said:

Journey

Have it. Really good.

#6 Posted by 1337W422102 (1011 posts) -

Is Bastion out for the PS3?  If so, Bastion.

#7 Posted by Dagbiker (6977 posts) -

@TentPole said:

Journey

Reading comprehension for the win.

#8 Posted by BormahAl (68 posts) -

@1337W422102 said:

Is Bastion out for the PS3? If so, Bastion.

Sadly it's not. If it was I would have got it.

#9 Posted by N7 (3590 posts) -
@BormahAl said:

@MethodMan008 said:

I got Borderlands. How would you compare ME2 to ME1?

Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games ever made. Functionality, gameplay, story, it was the top dog of the entire gen.
#10 Posted by TechHits (1378 posts) -

shatter is good.

also wipeout if you like racing games.

What kind of games do you like?

#11 Posted by BormahAl (68 posts) -

@TechHits said:

shatter is good.

also wipeout if you like racing games.

What kind of games do you like?

I'm looking for an adventure game in some sorts. I'm also avoiding FPS's like the plague. RPG adventures are good candidates.

#12 Posted by BormahAl (68 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@TentPole said:

Journey

I added Journey when he mentioned it. It's my fault.

#13 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@TentPole said:

Journey

It wasn't on his list when I suggested it, but way to be nosy.

#14 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

My opinion is GTA IV: Complete Edition. I think you're gonna get the most bang out of bucks from that

#15 Posted by Dagbiker (6977 posts) -

My ps3 isnt working, if it was i would fire it up, but Puzzle Quest is not a bad game, also if any one is still playing Fat Princess.

Personally i didnt like ME2, mostly because of the story. But the shooting felt the same as the first with improvements, such as better Ai and some improved(?) UI. I dont remember it very well but now i think they added the ability for you to revive your team mates, or changed how that worked, or something.

#16 Posted by BormahAl (68 posts) -

@nohthink said:

My opinion is GTA IV: Complete Edition. I think you're gonna get the most bang out of bucks from that

Already bought it. Looking forward to playing it.

#17 Posted by Dagbiker (6977 posts) -

@BormahAl said:

@Dagbiker said:

@TentPole said:

Journey

I added Journey when he mentioned it. It's my fault.

Oh, sorry, My bad.

#18 Posted by Dagbiker (6977 posts) -

@TentPole said:

@Dagbiker said:

@TentPole said:

Journey

It wasn't on his list when I suggested it, but way to be nosy.

Sorry, I thought you just read the list then picked one.

#19 Posted by Kidavenger (3567 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 is a good game, I liked 1 better, but 2 is solid, I think you could get it for less than $20 at retail now though.

I don't know how much Darksiders is on PSN, but that would be a good get.

#20 Edited by efman (212 posts) -

What games are we talking? Formerly retail titles or mere PSN games? Don't know how much either of the Little Big Planet games will run you, but if you haven't played them, LBP 2 is one fine platformer, if you're into those. For PSN games, a few that haven't been mentioned, there's Limbo (puzzle, platformer) and Pacman DX championship edition (aural bliss).

#21 Posted by BormahAl (68 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

Mass Effect 2 is a good game, I liked 1 better, but 2 is solid, I think you could get it for less than $20 at retail now though.

I don't know how much Darksiders is on PSN, but that would be a good get.

Darksiders is too close to GoW to me. I never liked these type of games.

#22 Posted by captain_clayman (3322 posts) -

most bang for buck: tied between burnout and gta iv.

#23 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Skullgirls!

#24 Posted by Spoonman671 (4645 posts) -
#25 Edited by hughesman (312 posts) -

There are hd versions of Jak and daxter, Ico, Shadow of the colossus, and sly cooper. Those are all pretty fantastic and right in your price range.

#26 Edited by TechHits (1378 posts) -
#27 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1728 posts) -
@BormahAl:  Hm, no shooters, FPS, or racing games. I will rise to the challenge. 

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection was £15 on PSN last I checked, don't know if the sale is still on, but you should totally stretch to the price if you can.

Braid is also pretty popular, I've heard. Highest rated indie title on PSN. 

Siren Blood Curse is a brilliant horror game, don't know the price though.  

Closure just came out. Fun, eerie puzzler.  

Malicious. Really, check it out. Hidden gem. 

Pacman CE:DX. Amazing reinvention of a classic.  

Tons of people like Limbo, I don't. You might though.  

Bionic Commando Rearmed is great fun. 
#28 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

Xenogears!

#29 Posted by hughesman (312 posts) -

I've never heard of this game "malicious" before. Looked around and i don't think it's available on the US psn yet. Looks great though so hopefully it will be available soon. Also, to the op, i would also highly recommend siren, it's forty bucks though.

#30 Posted by BormahAl (68 posts) -
#31 Edited by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1728 posts) -
@BormahAl said:

@Spoonman671 said:

Resident Evil 4? De Blob 2? Dragon Age: Origins? Dragon Age 2? Just Cause 2? Mini Ninjas?

Which do you prefer RPG wise Dragon Age: Origins or Mass Effect 2?

Not that guy, but Mass Effect 2, especially when compared to Dragon Age Origins, is a third person cover based shooter with upgrade-able weapons, nothing more.  

@hughesman: Yeh it deserves more attention than it got. If you make an EU account you should be able to download it? I think?
#32 Posted by fox01313 (5074 posts) -

PS1 classics: Silent Hill, Blood Omen & Soul Reaver.

#33 Posted by mosespippy (4204 posts) -

I just looked it up and the Trine games are cheaper than I thought. Trine is $10 and Trine 2 is $15. When I first bought Trine it was $20 and well worth it.

#34 Posted by ESREVER (2693 posts) -

Crescent Pale Mist

Not many people know of this game's existence on PSN, but its only $6. Its pretty fantastic too if you like them hardcore sidescrolling action games with a little bullet hell thrown in during the boss fights.

A little warning though, its not the easiest of games. They let you equip more and more gear the harder the difficulty you play on.

#35 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

Outland is pretty great

#36 Posted by myketuna (1709 posts) -
@mosespippy said:

I just looked it up and the Trine games are cheaper than I thought. Trine is $10 and Trine 2 is $15. When I first bought Trine it was $20 and well worth it.

Just finished the first one (thanks to the Steam sale I finally bought both). I'd say these are both really good (Played a little of 2). You don't need to have played Trine 1 to play 2 BTW.
#37 Posted by Jeust (10676 posts) -

Amy, Hydrophobia, Parasite Eve 2, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Siren Blood Curse, Oddworld: Abe's Escape...

#38 Posted by FesteringNeon (2164 posts) -

If you find and rally a community behind Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars, I'd say add that to your arsenal. Still easily the best money spent in the store. When I can afford to get my working PS3 back from a friend, that'll be the first game I play.

#39 Posted by TechHits (1378 posts) -

@FesteringNeon: that game was free for ps+, so there is quite a few of people playing online.

#40 Posted by FesteringNeon (2164 posts) -

@TechHits said:

@FesteringNeon: that game was free for ps+, so there is quite a few of people playing online.

Awesome, and good news to hear!

It's far from perfect, but very addicting and fun with friends! Can't wait to play again :D

#41 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Flower

#42 Posted by HarlechQuinn (449 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.