Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

Hey, You Should Read This: Sony Responds to Congress

• 118 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek

Sony's answers to Congress spanned eight pages, with plenty of new details on the attack.
    Sony's answers to Congress spanned eight pages, with plenty of new details on the attack.
    When Congress knocks, you answer. Sony has filed their response to a subcommittee inquiry regarding the PlayStation Network security intrusion, which I've spent the morning reading through and pulling the most relevant details.

The company has continued to face criticism over waiting several days to inform consumers about the intrusion on their personal data. Early in the document, PlayStation executive Kaz Hirai answered that critique directly.

"Sony Network Entertainment America immediately hired a highly regarded information technology firm and supplemented that firm with additional expertise and resources over several days," explained Hirai. "Sony Network Entertainment then released information to its customers we we and those experts believed that information was sufficiently confirmed. The truth is that retracing the steps of experienced cyber attackers is a highly complex process that takes time to carry out effectively."

Hirai's answers provide an update on the evidence Sony has against the intruders. The popular theory has been infamous hacker organization Anonymous, who declared their intentions to disrupt Sony's operations, following a lawsuit against hacker GeoHot, who essentially cracked the PlayStation code. Anonymous had publicly distanced itself from the PSN debacle, but Sony points to tangible evidence.

== TEASER =="When Sony Online Entertainment discovered this past Sunday afternoon that data from its servers had been stolen," said Hirai, "it also discovered that the intrduers had planted a file on one of the servers named 'Anonymous' with the words 'We are Legion.'" 

Asked point blank whether it had positively identified the intruders, however, the company could not.

According to Sony's timeline, the hackers--possibly Anonymous--gained access while its servers were experiencing denial of service attacks. The company became aware on April 19 at 4:15 p.m. PST, with systems performing unscheduled reboots. Sony claims its response to the attack was slow due to the "sophistication of the intrusion" and the attack funneled through a "system software vulnerability." Sony was unable to determine whether those who gained access during the denial of service attacks were knowingly working in cahoots with the people actually perpetuating the denial of service attacks.

Sony informed the FBI on April 22. At the time, the company says it didn't know the full extent of the attack and scheduled a meeting to inform law enforcement on April 27. On April 26, Sony collected what it knew, published some details to the public and contacted regulatory agencies in states nationwide.

And while Sony still cannot rule out whether credit card information was definitely not taken, it has received no reports of mass fraud from any financial institutions assumed to be connected to PSN. The company believes 10 million credit cards were exposed but cannot determine if details were taken.

"Our forensics team have not seen queries and corresponding data transfers of the credit card information," said Hirai.

How many credit cards are even in the system? Sony says PSN account data shows 12.3 million credit cards across the 77 million registered accounts, though only 5.6 of them are here in the United States.

Sony's congressional answers represent our best look yet into the who, what, where and whys of the PSN attack. It's too bad Sony didn't make this same information available to its 77 million consumers.
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

When Congress knocks, you answer. Sony has filed their response to a subcommittee inquiry regarding the PlayStation Network security intrusion, which I've spent the morning reading through and pulling the most relevant details.

The company has continued to face criticism over waiting several days to inform consumers about the intrusion on their personal data. Early in the document, PlayStation executive Kaz Hirai answered that critique directly.

"Sony Network Entertainment America immediately hired a highly regarded information technology firm and supplemented that firm with additional expertise and resources over several days," explained Hirai. "Sony Network Entertainment then released information to its customers we we and those experts believed that information was sufficiently confirmed. The truth is that retracing the steps of experienced cyber attackers is a highly complex process that takes time to carry out effectively."

Hirai's answers provide an update on the evidence Sony has against the intruders. The popular theory has been infamous hacker organization Anonymous, who declared their intentions to disrupt Sony's operations, following a lawsuit against hacker GeoHot, who essentially cracked the PlayStation code. Anonymous had publicly distanced itself from the PSN debacle, but Sony points to tangible evidence.

== TEASER =="When Sony Online Entertainment discovered this past Sunday afternoon that data from its servers had been stolen," said Hirai, "it also discovered that the intrduers had planted a file on one of the servers named 'Anonymous' with the words 'We are Legion.'" 

Asked point blank whether it had positively identified the intruders, however, the company could not.

According to Sony's timeline, the hackers--possibly Anonymous--gained access while its servers were experiencing denial of service attacks. The company became aware on April 19 at 4:15 p.m. PST, with systems performing unscheduled reboots. Sony claims its response to the attack was slow due to the "sophistication of the intrusion" and the attack funneled through a "system software vulnerability." Sony was unable to determine whether those who gained access during the denial of service attacks were knowingly working in cahoots with the people actually perpetuating the denial of service attacks.

Sony informed the FBI on April 22. At the time, the company says it didn't know the full extent of the attack and scheduled a meeting to inform law enforcement on April 27. On April 26, Sony collected what it knew, published some details to the public and contacted regulatory agencies in states nationwide.

And while Sony still cannot rule out whether credit card information was definitely not taken, it has received no reports of mass fraud from any financial institutions assumed to be connected to PSN. The company believes 10 million credit cards were exposed but cannot determine if details were taken.

"Our forensics team have not seen queries and corresponding data transfers of the credit card information," said Hirai.

How many credit cards are even in the system? Sony says PSN account data shows 12.3 million credit cards across the 77 million registered accounts, though only 5.6 of them are here in the United States.

Sony's congressional answers represent our best look yet into the who, what, where and whys of the PSN attack. It's too bad Sony didn't make this same information available to its 77 million consumers.
    SIL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SIL

I just love it...

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Tesla

This looks like the work of one Crash Override.

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By DriveupLife

fucking 4chan.

Chumm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Chumm

Looks like that Kaz quote wasn't transcribed right, got a "we we", shoudl be ". We" I think

brocool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By brocool

Send Hobbs after them

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Hamz

Seem's like Sony just can't catch a break lately.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By krazy_kyle

Anonymous are just a bunch of nerdy computer geeks who think they are doing justice, but instead they are wasting people's time and inconveniencing others.
    Seraphim84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By Seraphim84

Anonymous is really more of a not-organization.

Whatever the case, Sony still should've been more upfront no matter how bad the situation is.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AuthenticM
    @brocool said:
    " Send Hobbs after them "
    striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By striderno9

Wow, this keeps getting uglier. So Sony says they have evidence.

BoneChompski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BoneChompski

Sony relied on point of entry protection and did not deploy sufficient heuristic or otherwise internal monitors.  The problem that this intrusion has exposed is that Sony has a bull $h!t attitude towards safety and sub-competent IT management.

THRICE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By THRICE

Every time someone mentions Anonymous I immediately envision them less Matthew Lilliard in Hackers and more the player killer from the Make Love Not WarCraft episode of South Park. 

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@Tesla said:
    "This looks like the work of one Crash Override. "

Well shit on me. *puts on mirrorshades*

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By umdesch4
    @Chumm said:
    " Looks like that Kaz quote wasn't transcribed right, got a "we we", shoudl be ". We" I think "
    I read it as "when we", as he's trying to justify the delay in getting info out.
    Refugee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Refugee

Reportedly the attack was due to a documented send_mail bug in an out dated version of Apache.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wickedsc3

The very last sentence says it all. 

TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By SBYM

Damn you, Zero Cool!

Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bumpton

Now, I don't have a PS3 or anything, but this whole thing has been super entertaining to read. I'd be kind of annoyed if it happened to XBL... I don't really play any multiplayer stuff though, so I can't imagine freaking out too much.
    Double0hFor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Double0hFor

Sony should stick to TVs and surround sounds

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dingofighter

Just because they found a file named Anonymous doesn't have to mean they were really behind it, right? I mean the hackers could have put that there to mislead them.

Or maybe they didn't, but it's possible...
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By Undeadpool

Just remember: they stole your information and credit card numbers (and probably sold them) for YOUR benefit! They're sticking it to The Man by selling your info! Now THANK THEM!

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By phish09

Did Patrick write this article?  Just asking because of the final line "How many credit cards are even in the system? Sony says PSN account data shows 12.3 million credit cards across the 77 million registered accounts, though only 5.6 of them are here in the United States."  I take it Patrick is not trying to say it is any less of an inconvenience for people that don't live in the States, and he is writing the article from in the States, however, this is the internet and it is not inherently American.  So I'm reading this article in Canada, and I read "Here in the States" and I think to myself "What does he mean?  We're reading this in Canada". 

Not a big deal or anything...but with online journalism I think it's should be assumed that your audience is going to be worldwide and the writing should probably reflect that in some way or another.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kjellm87

While I'm not a fan of this "Anonymous", I think that file seems a little too perfect.
    There could be someone else who puts the blame on them.

nazgul11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nazgul11
    @brocool said:
    " Send Hobbs after them "
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Slaker117

This ordeal continues to be crazy.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Commando

Maybe they'll finally be able to shut down 4chan. They're just a bunch of attention whores.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Milkman

At this point, I think it's everyone's best interest to just get goddamn PSN back up and running. Fuck 4chan and all this other bullshit. As a customer, what it comes down to is that I just want to play my damn games.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NoXious
    @phish09:
    This letter from Sony is to Congress. You know, the American one, so the response is as literal as it gets. This is the response Sony gives to the US Congress, that the potential Credit Card fraud might not be as big as they expected because of the "low" amount of them being from the US.
    It baffled me but that's how Sony looks at it, fuck it that we lost the PRIVATE DATA of 77 million customers across the World.
    guypussy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By guypussy

But, but, the text file they left!
    schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By schlorgan

"We Are Legion?"
    FUCK! IT'S THE REAPERS!!!

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Milkman

That being said, I hope the FBI busts into every basement of every mother of every 14 year old responsible for this and makes the little bitches cry. 

littlemanbodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By littlemanbodie

Is it just me or does it seem like the same story is now being posted everyday?

Chumm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Chumm
    No Caption Provided
    Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By Nomin

Sony better prop up some military AI into their ICE so even a Kuang grade virus can't infiltrate it. 

CapnMikeM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CapnMikeM

i have zero confidence that the PSN is coming back any time soon.  I think, in their minds, having to answer to Congress has bought them more time.  Would be shocked to see the service back up before next Monday.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By dagas

Why would they leave a file and then claim they had nothing to do with it? Makes no sense. Either they would leave the file and claim responsibility or not leave a file and not claim responsibility. 

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mordukai

Doesn't the congress have better things to do ? I guess when the government you work in and the country you "work for" is that perfect then you need something to fill the time. 

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By Jayzilla

I am glad(at the moment) that I don't own a PS3 or play any SOE games. Hackers need to start getting punished to the letter of the law though. Hurting people's entertainment is dumb.

LoktarOgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LoktarOgar

"We are Legion"
    next story posted on GiantBomb:
    "Mass Effect 3 Delayed into Early 2012"

Sony not too keen on having Anonymous representative Legion in Mass Effect 3, forces Bioware to take him out of the story. Lair of the Shadow Broker pretty much confirmed that Legion's into hacking servers.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By crusader8463

Why is it just the US legal system doing stuff about this? Last time I checked this affected the entire world.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By HydraHam
    @Undeadpool said:
    " Just remember: they stole your information and credit card numbers (and probably sold them) for YOUR benefit! They're sticking it to The Man by selling your info! Now THANK THEM! "
    Anon proved to the world along time ago they aren't for the people, they are for themselves and i will say it again, FUCK everyone involved with, FUCK anon and at night i pray to god FBI knocks down the basement doors and drags them from their parents basement and locks them up.

I hope they get everything coming to them because they are nothing but petty no-life mother fuckers.
    blackjosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By blackjosh
    @Chumm said:
    " Looks like that Kaz quote wasn't transcribed right, got a "we we", shoudl be ". We" I think "
    so all this time kaz was french! holy shit.

mindsploded
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Milkman
    @Mordukai said:
    " Doesn't the congress have better things to do ? I guess when the government you work in and the country you "work for" is that perfect then you need something to fill the time.  "
    Millions of people had their credit card information potentially stolen. To us, it may just seem like "oh, those silly video games." But this could be huge issue.
    CrazedJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CrazedJoker

My email has started sending people weird spam shit. Kinda of wondering if this has to do with PSN...

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By Jensonb

It's high time someone knocked Anonymous down a peg. Even if they're only being framed for the intrusion - and there's no way of knowing if they are or not - the DDoS was their doing.

MrAristocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MrAristocrates
    @guypussy:  It's impossible to know whether it's a member of Anonymous who thought it would be amusing to screw everyone else over, or just the real hacker trying to frame someone. Poorly.
    quicksand31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By quicksand31

props for using the word "cahoots."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.