Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

How to Increase Download Speeds!

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By BraveToaster

Toaster Tested, Toaster Approved

I've always had an issue with the PS3 and their sluggish download speeds, while my 360 never had this issue. This made me totally neglect the console in favor of my 360. A few weeks ago, I decided to give my PS3 a chance because I was tired of having to pay to play online. It's been a real struggle with downloading system updates and taking advantage of the "free" games as a newly instated Playstation Plus member. Sluggish is an understatement when referring to my download experience, it's just pathetic. I started download Counter Strike (2278 MB) around 2200hrs last night and I reached 50% of the download today at 1400hrs. Even downloading Renegade Ops was a test of patience that I managed to barely pass. I was close to losing all hope of finding a solution until I found a thread with a written tutorial.

After following the steps and connecting my PS3 to a proxy server, I decided to give it another try and download Counter Strike. I was skeptical, but my download speed has sped up substantially. I'm at 20% and I've only been downloading for 10 minutes. It may not be the fastest download around, but it's better than waiting 23 hours to download less than 3 gigs. I just wanted to give you guys a heads up and save you some time.

http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?p=410301

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Barrock

Bump. Did this and holy shit does it make a difference! Everyone should do it.

zynthar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This actually tripled my download speed from PSN! Thank you! :D

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Since this was necro'd i gave it a shot, with the proxy i got 11.3Mbps (31 minutes for Dead Rising 2 OtR), without i got 12.8Mbps (22 minutes for the same game)....so results might vary depending on setup, but then again i never had a problem with psn speeds...

Hippasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

would this work if my computer is set up via wifi to my router and my PS3 via cable?

Thanks!

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Bumpin this!

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Anyone care to summarize the info; I'm not particularly interested in going to a site called ps3hax.net...

My download speeds where never terrible, the last major update to the store did improve my speeds though and I'm getting things as fast as I do on Steam now.

DrZing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh wow this works great, how did I never think to try this... The PS3 sucks so bad when downloading directly but for some reason telling it to use a simple HTTP proxy server on the network gives a huge speed boost! Thanks!!

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By McShank

My speeds have always been a little slower then say my actual PC but I never had to wait to long. 1gb game = about 10-15mins. Dont think I will do the proxy until someone summarizes it as like KidAvenger above me says, I dont feel the need to go to a site that has Hax in the name and is a .net ..

DrZing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my case I already have Squid running on my firewall so I just pointed the network settings there. That "hax" site just details how to install a free Windows proxy server. Nothing to worry about.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.