I think PSN runs faster when you're a PS+ member.

#1 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

You all know PSN is really really slow it use to take like an hour per gig for me to download something. 
I signed up for PS+ to get the AC:R beta and it's 3 gigs and I downloaded it in half an hour. I downloaded other stuff and it went fast too.
Either my internet got way better or PS+ makes PSN go way faster.

#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10522 posts) -

It wouldn't surprise me. I mean, you are paying them, so you might as well get something good, right? 

#3 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

PSN+ Is pretty good. I rarely use my PS3 nowadays, but every week I have this little ritual in which I log to download something free I won't ever going to play, yet it's pretty fun to do so.

#4 Posted by Gabriel (4055 posts) -

If that were the case I would sign up immediately.

#5 Posted by RE_Player1 (7551 posts) -

I highly doubt that.

#6 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
I highly doubt that.
it's gotta be something I downloaded something in a 6th of the time it would normally take me.
#7 Posted by GS_Dan (1402 posts) -

I also have to say the upcoming PS Store offers for Plus members are actually pretty good.

#8 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (987 posts) -

Maybe they added more servers? I hear a lot of people have long download times, but It only takes me about 20-30 mins to download a gig since i have had my ps3, and im not a plus member.

#9 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

Nope.

#10 Posted by Cerialthriller (20 posts) -

This is the reason I buy most of my multi-platform stuff for the 360. It just takes a decade to download any updates or DLC on the PS3. Not to mention the days when I come home from work and want to play a game for a bit before the wife gets home and there is an update that takes up 45 minutes of the hour I have to play...

#11 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -
@GS_Dan said:

I also have to say the upcoming PS Store offers for Plus members are actually pretty good.

I didn't know what you were talking about until I just loaded up the PlayStation blog. Free Plants vs Zombies, all the RE PS1 games, half off RE4 and RE:CV. I just renewed my subscription to play the AC:R beta, but god damn it's a good month for PS+.
#12 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@benjaebe: My problem is that I'd rather just spend the money to download the Resident Evil PS1 games and get to keep them. I liked the PS+ trial, but I couldn't get it simply because I didn't like not permanently owning the free games.
#13 Posted by Beforet (2912 posts) -

They probably give priority to the Plus members. Doesn't surprise me.

#14 Posted by Berserker976 (324 posts) -

In my experience this has not been true at all, I have to imagine you just got lucky and their servers weren't bogged down at that moment. It seems to be really inconsistent, I've even had cases where a 4 gb file downloaded in about 35 minutes, and the 2 gb file queued after it took almost an hour.

#15 Posted by Trebz (487 posts) -

I don't plan on ever being a PSN+ subscriber and I hope that's true. You pay, you should get better service.

#16 Posted by Dayewalker (77 posts) -

I didn't really think PSN+ was worth it until they started with the Automatic updates/trophy sync and the cloud saves. Those alone make it worth the ~$6 a month. The free shit doesn't hurt either.

#17 Posted by Zidd (1838 posts) -

@iDarktread: The other features of PS+ aren't worth it to you? The online save storage and the new auto save sync and existing auto update feature are pretty compelling

#18 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -
@iDarktread said:
@benjaebe: My problem is that I'd rather just spend the money to download the Resident Evil PS1 games and get to keep them. I liked the PS+ trial, but I couldn't get it simply because I didn't like not permanently owning the free games.
Yeah I definitely understand that. Still, in my eyes it's always payed for itself in terms of discounts and games that I get to play for free, beat, and don't have to buy.
#19 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@Zidd said:

@iDarktread: The other features of PS+ aren't worth it to you? The online save storage and the new auto save sync and existing auto update feature are pretty compelling

I already have an Xbox Live subscription to worry about, so no, not really. However, I can't deny that the auto-update and auto-download features are completely awesome.
#20 Edited by ProfessorEss (7281 posts) -
@iDarktread said:

However, I can't deny that the auto-update and auto-download features are completely awesome.

I won't deny the value of PS+, but the auto-update feature is one thing that shouldn't be part of it. 
I'm honestly surprised that Sony consider the current non-subscriber system acceptable and something that doesn't need to be improved for everyone.
#21 Posted by Matthew (1911 posts) -

@DonPixel said:

PSN+ Is pretty good. I rarely use my PS3 nowadays, but every week I have this little ritual in which I log to download something free I won't ever going to play, yet it's pretty fun to do so.

hahahahaha, This is exactly what I do. So what if I'm not going to play RE 2 or Astro Tripper. It's free, and I paid for it dammit, give it to me!

#22 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@ProfessorEss said:
@iDarktread said:

However, I can't deny that the auto-update and auto-download features are completely awesome.

I won't deny the value of PS+, but the auto-update feature is one thing that shouldn't be part of it. I'm honestly surprised that Sony consider the current non-subscriber system acceptable and something that doesn't need to be improved for everyone.
While I agree that it shouldn't be exclusive to people with a PS+ subscription, I've learned not to expect much out of the Network anyway. I prefer, in most cases, anyway, my PS3 to my 360, so I don't really mind having to manually update the system, or games.
#23 Posted by GS_Dan (1402 posts) -

@benjaebe: Yeah, it's actually looking really good.I still don't think I'd go for it though.

#24 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

I don't believe thats true, but I wouldn't be surprized if it was. In fact if it was they should put that out as a selling point. 

#25 Posted by Spoonman671 (4562 posts) -

If giving Sony money made downloads faster, then Sony would be telling you about it.

#26 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -
@benjaebe: when is all that happening ?
#27 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (987 posts) -
#28 Posted by Addfwyn (1917 posts) -

I like PS+ a lot, so if I get preferential download speeds, I'd be all for it. That said, I imagine Sony would advertise that as a perk if that were the case.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.