Kaz Hirai Explains PSN's Phased Restoration, Even Hands Out Restoration Maps (Seriously!) [UPDATED]

Posted by patrickklepek (3516 posts) -

UPDATE 2: I've successfully logged back into PSN, upon resetting my password. Have you?

UPDATE: Sony's informative restoration map will also reflect Canada going back online, Sony tells me.

--

By the end of the night, important pieces of PlayStation Network should be back online in the United States. This coincides with a region-by-region rollout of select PSN services, with the entire network expected to be back online worldwide by the end of the month. PlayStation executive Kaz Hirai appeared in a video published on the PlayStation Blog just moments ago, where he detailed Sony's process.

"I'd like to send my sincere apologies for the inconvenience the service outage has caused you," said Hirai, with classy music playing in the background, "and want to thank you for all the patience that you've shown as we've worked through this restoration process. Since the attacks on our networks, we've been working around the clock to bring game and media services back online."

It's been three weeks since PSN went down, and it would be several days before Sony began detailing what happened and how 77 million PSN accounts were compromised in the process. Even developers have begun voicing their frustration, as a downed PSN impacted the ability to test multiplayer games.

As PSN begins coming back online in America specifically, Sony will be updating a map. It's a clever and informative idea. You'll want to keep an eye on this page on the PlayStation Blog as it updates. Several readers have asked if Canada will be represented on that map, and Sony is checking for me.

== TEASER ==
C'mon, California! You can do it!

"We know you've invested in Sony and the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services and we will do everything we can to regain your trust and confidence," said Hirai. "We also know that actions speak louder than words."

Hirai outlined additions to PSN's internal security to protect against future attacks: advanced security technology, increased levels of encryption, additional firewalls and an early warning detection system.

"I wish I could tell you that technology's available to completely protect any company against cyber attack," he said, "but unfortunately, the threat of cyber crime and data theft will continue to plague networks, companies, government agencies and consumers around the world for some time to come."

Sony is offering identify theft services to customers in regions where it's available. Sony has admitted up to 10 million credit cards stored in PSN's database were potentially exposed to the hackers before PSN went down, but there has been no proof of widespread credit card fraud in the weeks since. The lack of information has inspired criticism, as has the nearly month of downtime. Hirai appears to be well aware.

"We know even the most loyal customers have been frustrated by this process and are anxious to use their Sony products and services again," he concluded. "I wish we could have restored the network services faster, but these attacks were serious and sophisticated and it simply took time to install and test the new security measures across our entire system. We felt that we owed it to you to fully verify the security of the networks before restoring our services."

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3516 posts) -

UPDATE 2: I've successfully logged back into PSN, upon resetting my password. Have you?

UPDATE: Sony's informative restoration map will also reflect Canada going back online, Sony tells me.

--

By the end of the night, important pieces of PlayStation Network should be back online in the United States. This coincides with a region-by-region rollout of select PSN services, with the entire network expected to be back online worldwide by the end of the month. PlayStation executive Kaz Hirai appeared in a video published on the PlayStation Blog just moments ago, where he detailed Sony's process.

"I'd like to send my sincere apologies for the inconvenience the service outage has caused you," said Hirai, with classy music playing in the background, "and want to thank you for all the patience that you've shown as we've worked through this restoration process. Since the attacks on our networks, we've been working around the clock to bring game and media services back online."

It's been three weeks since PSN went down, and it would be several days before Sony began detailing what happened and how 77 million PSN accounts were compromised in the process. Even developers have begun voicing their frustration, as a downed PSN impacted the ability to test multiplayer games.

As PSN begins coming back online in America specifically, Sony will be updating a map. It's a clever and informative idea. You'll want to keep an eye on this page on the PlayStation Blog as it updates. Several readers have asked if Canada will be represented on that map, and Sony is checking for me.

== TEASER ==
C'mon, California! You can do it!

"We know you've invested in Sony and the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services and we will do everything we can to regain your trust and confidence," said Hirai. "We also know that actions speak louder than words."

Hirai outlined additions to PSN's internal security to protect against future attacks: advanced security technology, increased levels of encryption, additional firewalls and an early warning detection system.

"I wish I could tell you that technology's available to completely protect any company against cyber attack," he said, "but unfortunately, the threat of cyber crime and data theft will continue to plague networks, companies, government agencies and consumers around the world for some time to come."

Sony is offering identify theft services to customers in regions where it's available. Sony has admitted up to 10 million credit cards stored in PSN's database were potentially exposed to the hackers before PSN went down, but there has been no proof of widespread credit card fraud in the weeks since. The lack of information has inspired criticism, as has the nearly month of downtime. Hirai appears to be well aware.

"We know even the most loyal customers have been frustrated by this process and are anxious to use their Sony products and services again," he concluded. "I wish we could have restored the network services faster, but these attacks were serious and sophisticated and it simply took time to install and test the new security measures across our entire system. We felt that we owed it to you to fully verify the security of the networks before restoring our services."

Staff
#2 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

I like maps.

#3 Posted by spazmaster666 (1965 posts) -

Well that's good news I suppose.

#4 Posted by laserbolts (5314 posts) -
Nice.
#5 Edited by X19 (2304 posts) -

Very neat desk. Why isn't there a framed picture of Jack Tretton?

#6 Edited by Tearhead (2155 posts) -

Portal 2 multiplayer here I come! 
... Hey, does anyone wanna play Portal 2 with me? :)

#7 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

I like how he says "AND ... Playstation Home."

Oh, well that's fine then.
#8 Edited by Fattony12000 (7098 posts) -

Stop smiling at me Kaz!

That music is utterly creepy as well, it's as if I'm watching a Final Fantasy cut scene.
#9 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

No Canada, huh? Great.

Oh yay, we`re not actually forgotten. Can't wait for the revival.
#10 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

Fuck. This is a classy approach. I like how you roll , Kaz.
Sony, you're still alright to me.

#11 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Hey Sony, how about you put the Store open or else all of us idiots who didn't redeem the MK9 code still won't be able to play the fucking game online.

#12 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -
@Tearhead: Sure.
#13 Posted by MisterMouse (3543 posts) -

all good stuf.

#14 Posted by AmericanNinja (157 posts) -
#15 Posted by SpartanAmbrose (832 posts) -

Let's go Pennsylvania!

#16 Posted by metalsnakezero (2288 posts) -
@RobotHamster said:
I like maps.
I like maps when they change colors. 
#17 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Finally I can link my Steam account and start Portal 2 downloading. Then my PS3 is going into the proverbial garbage can.

#18 Posted by mycatisgo (9 posts) -

I am working under the theory that there was no psn to begin with, that all the players where simulated by a master AI created by sony. The network had to be shut down when it became self aware.

#19 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

Thankfully he gave a proper response to the situation. I wonder if this means they totally ignore it at E3.

#20 Posted by NoelVeiga (1075 posts) -

Sooooo any news about Europe?

#21 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2089 posts) -

There should 24 hour PSN restoration coverage by the world's media in green screen studios using these maps and see which ones come on first. Someone GET DAVID DIMBLEBY ON THIS!

#22 Posted by rudyarr (251 posts) -

This brought back memories of when Prez Bush talked about the 9/11 incident....Kaz Hirai for President!!!

#23 Posted by AllanIceman (1322 posts) -

Come on Canada!!

#24 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

Ok, so what are the odds on the PSN getting hacked again even with these improvements. I could see the "new and improved security" could look like a challenge for those damn hackers.

#25 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@thehexeditor said:
Fuck. This is a classy approach. I like how you roll , Kaz. Sony, you're still alright to me.
Right on the money.

His voice is so classy to boot as well. I was expecting Japanese with English subs, not a George Takei sound and fully fluent English.

Sony, I forgive you.
#26 Posted by megaplushie (202 posts) -

PLAYSTATION NETWORK PRESENTS... A MAP OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Yay!
#27 Posted by Zabant (1236 posts) -

Nice to see them eating handfulls of humble pie. Good for them.

#28 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
Finally I can link my Steam account and start Portal 2 downloading. Then my PS3 is going into the proverbial garbage can.
Can I have it?
#29 Posted by TheNonBeliever (1 posts) -

what about canada?

#30 Posted by X19 (2304 posts) -
@NoelVeiga: If it's the same staff as before working at SCEE I doubt it XD
#31 Posted by patrickklepek (3516 posts) -

@TheNonBeliever said:

what about canada?

The restoration is happening in the "Americas," so Canada included. I've also clarified with Sony that their map will also include notes of when Canada goes back online.

Staff
#32 Posted by Parsnip (1078 posts) -

How about a world map, right?

#33 Posted by rudyarr (251 posts) -

Weird!!!!!!!!!!!
#34 Posted by Xshinobi (373 posts) -

Guess my country wouldn't be back til month's end :(.  

#35 Posted by FloMo (28 posts) -
@NoelVeiga said:
Sooooo any news about Europe?
PSN Europe has begun restoration too, yeayyy...finally.
#36 Posted by endless_void (706 posts) -
@patrickklepek said:

@TheNonBeliever said:

what about canada?

The restoration is happening in the "Americas," so Canada included. I've also clarified with Sony that their map will also include notes of when Canada goes back online.

Thanks man!
#37 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Shouldn't something be illuminated by now?

#38 Posted by Silver-Streak (1339 posts) -

Probably going to be last, but Come ooon, Kansas!

#39 Posted by Pr1mus (3824 posts) -

I like Kaz, professional and articulate without sounding like a douchebag like Jack Tretton, they should put him in front of the cameras more often.

Also go go Quebec!
#40 Posted by onarum (2021 posts) -

That looks like a mighty comfy chair, I must get me a new one.

#41 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Kaz is still a classy motherfucker, as usual. I'm just happy it'll be up within LA Noire's release week and I can finally buy Outland.

#42 Posted by powerpc127 (99 posts) -

I like this whole video thing. Why couldn't they have done something like this the week it went down explaining what was happening? I know Seybold has been on the blog leaving messages about it, but I think that a video just makes it much more apparent that the company is addressing the issue. Maybe it's just that seeing someone defend themself in person is much better than getting a letter about it. Who knows.

#43 Posted by Jackel2072 (2238 posts) -

ok sony you get the PSN store up before LA Noire comes out and i will buy the PS3 Verison
#44 Edited by Mijati (897 posts) -

More examples of Game Companies screwed Europe over.

Where's our shiny glowy map Sony? WHERE IS IT?

#45 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@crusader8463: Heh. By proverbial garbage I meant will be reduced to Netflix only blu-ray duty.
#46 Posted by kollay (1926 posts) -

Let's play USA Risk.

#47 Posted by MightyDuck (1510 posts) -

Too be honest, I'm impressed with Kaz's speech.

Maybe I'm a sucker, but I'm still willing to stand by Sony.

#48 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

That was a really well done video.

#49 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

I also forgive Kaz for "Riiiiidge Racer" though I don't know if I should actually  thank him for that one.

#50 Posted by ivhuro (14 posts) -

Good, they didn't forget canada!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.