More bitching about PS3

Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1045 posts) -

Since last post, I have played quite a lot with my PS3 and it is slowly warming up to me.  Still, I have to ask this question: Why the hell is the PSN store so f***ing retarted? 
First thing I noticed is that EU-version of the shop has no no "demo" -section. Combine that with bad search tools and stupid categorizing of the content, this means that in order to find demos, you really have to make  an US -account. 

Second thing I have noticed is that PSN service is buggy as shit sandwich thrown into middle of ant hive. Error code this, error code that. First time I tried to use prepaid card "add to the wallet" -  option blinked for 15 minutes and during that time system did not respond to any button presses. After waiting all that time only thing I received was an error message.  After trying couple of more times, I gave up. Then when next time I tried to re-enter the code, I noticed money had been added to my "wallet" - despite the fact that every attempt ended in error message.  Time to buy some games? NO! Now PSN had issues confirming the purchase. 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!
Now, I have used xbox live -services quite a lot and never ever had any problems, so my question is: Is PSN service really this bad or am I just having bad luck?  

#1 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1045 posts) -

Since last post, I have played quite a lot with my PS3 and it is slowly warming up to me.  Still, I have to ask this question: Why the hell is the PSN store so f***ing retarted? 
First thing I noticed is that EU-version of the shop has no no "demo" -section. Combine that with bad search tools and stupid categorizing of the content, this means that in order to find demos, you really have to make  an US -account. 

Second thing I have noticed is that PSN service is buggy as shit sandwich thrown into middle of ant hive. Error code this, error code that. First time I tried to use prepaid card "add to the wallet" -  option blinked for 15 minutes and during that time system did not respond to any button presses. After waiting all that time only thing I received was an error message.  After trying couple of more times, I gave up. Then when next time I tried to re-enter the code, I noticed money had been added to my "wallet" - despite the fact that every attempt ended in error message.  Time to buy some games? NO! Now PSN had issues confirming the purchase. 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!
Now, I have used xbox live -services quite a lot and never ever had any problems, so my question is: Is PSN service really this bad or am I just having bad luck?  

#2 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

Wow, I've never dealt with any of that. In fact, I've never had an issue with it. Then again, I usually only go to the store to browse, so I go through games alphabetically by choice, because I'm pretty much just window shopping. 

Also, the error might be that you're using a region-specific card in a PSN store for a different region. I can't confirm or deny this, as I've done no testing, but I wouldn't exactly rule it out as a possibility.

#3 Posted by GunstarRed (5294 posts) -

Ive had the error code stuff in the past, It just sorted itself out eventually. The store isn't that bad though it used to be much worse years ago.
#4 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1045 posts) -
@example1013: 
No it is not region thing. I know that PSN cards are country specific. Issue is with Finnish card, on Finnish account on Finnish console.
#5 Posted by ESREVER (2700 posts) -

Never had any of those problems with the US PSN. Unfortunate other regions have to deal with such shoddy service.

#6 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (466 posts) -

I'm in America, but have an EU PSN account for exclusive demos and the like. The American PSN works fine for me, and the layout is either good, or just something I am used to. Aside from occasionally terrible download speeds, I have no complaints. 
The EU store sucks. Hard. You are absolutely right about the layout - it makes no sense whatsoever. I assumed that connection problems were simply due to my accessing the store outside of its territory, but if you're having problems with it, I assume that the entire thing is just poorly run. 
I find it odd that the market in which Sony enjoys the biggest share has the worst storefront. 

#7 Posted by xyzygy (10029 posts) -

I really do hate browsing the PSN store but it's only because I'm so used to XBL. I find it so convoluted. But I have never had any of the other issues you mentioned...

#8 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I used to get error messages, and get booted offline. So I disabled the Media Server Connection in the Network Settings bar, and everything has worked perfectly ever since. That's probably not your problem, but I thought it couldn't hurt to check.

#9 Edited by Example1013 (4834 posts) -
@charlie_victor_bravo: Maybe they hate Finland. 

EDIT: and I didn't realize the stores were different. I figured the EU store would be just the American store, but with more languages. I can't help you there.
#10 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -

US PSN store is totally fine. In fact I think the layout is a bit better than the 360. 

Kinda weird that the EU version is messed up.

#11 Posted by Skald (4369 posts) -

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

#12 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1045 posts) -
@PrivateIronTFU: 
Thank you, good sir.
Disabling media server worked instantly. I am of to play some PixelJunk Shooter.
#13 Posted by Nasar7 (2730 posts) -

As others have said, that's pretty odd. I didn't think the EU store would be any different from the US/JP stores which are basically the same but in their respective languages. I like the way the US PSN store is set up a lot, its very logical and categorized.

#14 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -
@charlie_victor_bravo said:
" @PrivateIronTFU:  Thank you, good sir. Disabling media server worked instantly. I am of to play some PixelJunk Shooter. "
Hey, my advice finally helped somebody! Good stuff! You're welcome!
#15 Posted by Gaff (1812 posts) -

There's a reason why I stick to the "What's New" category. Trying to figure out what arbitrary genre a game is filed under is an exercise in frustration and confusion on the PSN Store.

And the various local markets (UK, Western Europe, France, Germany, Scandinavia) makes for a very fragmented experience. Take a look at the weekly Store Updates on the EU Playstation Blog and shudder at how often content is split between regions.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.