Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

PlayStation Network in 'Final Stages' of Internal Testing, Says Sony [UPDATED]

• 116 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    UPDATE: The story now reflects a letter released by Sony CEO Howard Stringer.
    --

Nope, still not up. This week? Who knows.
    Given the breadth of the intrusion into PlayStation Network, it's was a little surprising when Sony outright said parts of the service would come back online this week. The company made no promises about what PSN components would be available, but as Thursday closes out and PSN remains offline, Sony took to the PlayStation Blog to address concerns about the ability to hop online soon.

"Today,"  said senior director of corporate communications and social media Patrick Seybold, "our global network and security teams at Sony Network Entertainment and Sony Computer Entertainment began the final stages of internal testing of the new system, an important step towards restoring PlayStation Network and Qriocity services."

Sony also released a letter from CEO Howard Stringer, who's been silent since PSN went down.

"Let me assure you that the resources of this company have been focused on investigating the entire nature and impact of the cyber-attack we’ve all experienced and on fixing it," said Stringer. "We are absolutely dedicated to restoring full and safe service as soon as possible and rewarding you for your patience. We will settle for nothing less."

Stringer reiterated much of what's already been said ad nauseum the last two weeks, but responded directly to criticisms that Sony did not inform its customers about the breach of personal information early enough. His comments are not likely to make anyone feel better, as Stringer doesn't budge his position.

"It’s a fair question," he said. "As soon as we discovered the potential scope of the intrusion, we shut down the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services and hired some of the best technical experts in the field to determine what happened. I wish we could have gotten the answers we needed sooner, but forensic analysis is a complex, time-consuming process. Hackers, after all, do their best to cover their tracks, and it took some time for our experts to find those tracks and begin to identify what personal information had--or had not--been taken."

As for when PSN is coming back online, Stringer said the process will begin in the "coming days."

Sony has another day to hit their end-of-week deadline--unless they actually meant Sunday, I guess!
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek
    UPDATE: The story now reflects a letter released by Sony CEO Howard Stringer.
    --

Given the breadth of the intrusion into PlayStation Network, it's was a little surprising when Sony outright said parts of the service would come back online this week. The company made no promises about what PSN components would be available, but as Thursday closes out and PSN remains offline, Sony took to the PlayStation Blog to address concerns about the ability to hop online soon.

"Today,"  said senior director of corporate communications and social media Patrick Seybold, "our global network and security teams at Sony Network Entertainment and Sony Computer Entertainment began the final stages of internal testing of the new system, an important step towards restoring PlayStation Network and Qriocity services."

Sony also released a letter from CEO Howard Stringer, who's been silent since PSN went down.

"Let me assure you that the resources of this company have been focused on investigating the entire nature and impact of the cyber-attack we’ve all experienced and on fixing it," said Stringer. "We are absolutely dedicated to restoring full and safe service as soon as possible and rewarding you for your patience. We will settle for nothing less."

Stringer reiterated much of what's already been said ad nauseum the last two weeks, but responded directly to criticisms that Sony did not inform its customers about the breach of personal information early enough. His comments are not likely to make anyone feel better, as Stringer doesn't budge his position.

"It’s a fair question," he said. "As soon as we discovered the potential scope of the intrusion, we shut down the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services and hired some of the best technical experts in the field to determine what happened. I wish we could have gotten the answers we needed sooner, but forensic analysis is a complex, time-consuming process. Hackers, after all, do their best to cover their tracks, and it took some time for our experts to find those tracks and begin to identify what personal information had--or had not--been taken."

As for when PSN is coming back online, Stringer said the process will begin in the "coming days."

Sony has another day to hit their end-of-week deadline--unless they actually meant Sunday, I guess!
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

Congrats Mike.

Sony just isn't having it their way these past few years.

EDIT:  There was totally a post above me...

StealthRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By StealthRaptor

Can I be the first to say here that I just want to play some MK9?

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KaosAngel
    @StealthRaptor said:
    " Can I be the first to say here that I just want to play some MK9? "
    Shit won't work anyway.  If you didn't redeem your code, you're fucked until they put the Store back up...which isn't going to be for at least a week after PSN's initial stuff is up.
    Somadude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Somadude
    @StealthRaptor said:
    "
                "

Me too dude, me too.
    metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#6  Edited By metalsnakezero

Good to hear that things will somewhat be ok. Now they just need to deal with the government.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By animateria

Portal 2 on Steam, that's what I want.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Somadude said:
    " @StealthRaptor said:
    "
                "
    Me too dude, me too. "
    sameeee
    AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AURON570

I feel like I've read this before. -.-

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By h0lgr
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @StealthRaptor said:
    Shit won't work anyway.  If you didn't redeem your code, you're fucked until they put the Store back up...which isn't going to be for at least a week after PSN's initial stuff is up. "
    Ohhh fuck, you just made me realize that. Shit.
    But thanks tho, spares me the dissapointment.
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sackmanjones

Might I add that Giant Bombs news section has really blossomed.  This news report game up about 2 minutes after it was posted on the Playstation website.  Nice work Giant Bomb and the new Patrick Klepek you guys are awesome!

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By animateria
    @AURON570 said:
    " I feel like I've read this before. -.- "
    You had a premonition.

No, not the deadly kind. Heavens no.
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @animateria:  Hmm did you just...... oh you did!
    StealthRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By StealthRaptor
    @KaosAngel:  I did redeem my code already :D
    QKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By QKT

ill laugh if it ends up being next week that they finally get it up. ill laugh in a mad fit of RAGE.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KaosAngel
    @StealthRaptor said:
    " @KaosAngel:  I did redeem my code already :D "
    Well fuck you buddy, cause I didn't...nor did I redeem my ninja codes.  :|
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By Sooperspy

I hope its up tomorrow

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I'm sorry, is Saturday not still in the mix here? 

Avatar image for endlessobsidian
    EndlessObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EndlessObsidian
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @StealthRaptor said:
    Shit won't work anyway.  If you didn't redeem your code, you're fucked until they put the Store back up...which isn't going to be for at least a week after PSN's initial stuff is up. "
    OHHHHHHHH COME ON! Please tell me I don't need the store to redeem the online pass. All I fucking want is to play MK9 online. I'll gladly enter my online pass once the PS Store is up but there has to be a work around to let me play MK9 until the Store is up and running.
    Norusdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Norusdog
    @EndlessObsidian said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " @StealthRaptor said:
    OHHHHHHHH COME ON! Please tell me I don't need the store to redeem the online pass. All I fucking want is to play MK9 online. I'll gladly enter my online pass once the PS Store is up but there has to be a work around to let me play MK9 until the Store is up and running. "
    of course you have to redeem the online pass..that's the fucking point of it.  you can't play MK9 online before redeeming it.  This shouldn't be a surprise.  It's the online pass.  online.
    Rastapasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rastapasta

I want to play portal co op dammit!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It's sucks all this shit is happening but in the end it will just form a better infrastructure and push Sony to create a Fort Knox like security system for PSN.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Phished0ne

Im glad they are working on it and that it should be up soon, of course.  The Identity Theft Insurance is great too, im glad to see sony is doing what they need to do to pull out of this tailspin.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By napalm

I think we've hit a saturation point with this story being on the front page.

gordjt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By p_p_o_d

JUST ONE MORE WEEK TO GO GUYS!!!

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ShaneDev

What a fucking shitty mess, just fix the damn thing so I can get my PC Portal 2. 

suikoden352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By suikoden352

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20060227-260.html
    news just came out not too long ago about another attack on sony is possibly in the works. hearing mixed reactions to the reports and the sources but if true then it's a real bummer.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Enigma777
    Avatar image for endlessobsidian
    EndlessObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By EndlessObsidian
    @Norusdog said:
    " @EndlessObsidian said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " @StealthRaptor said:
    OHHHHHHHH COME ON! Please tell me I don't need the store to redeem the online pass. All I fucking want is to play MK9 online. I'll gladly enter my online pass once the PS Store is up but there has to be a work around to let me play MK9 until the Store is up and running. "
    of course you have to redeem the online pass..that's the fucking point of it.  you can't play MK9 online before redeeming it.  This shouldn't be a surprise.  It's the online pass.  online. "
    Thank you so much for clearing that up for me and in such a nice matter. Also, I think you completely missed the point of my post. 
    RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RazielCuts
    @animateria said:
    " Portal 2 on Steam, that's what I want. "
    This.
    HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By HadesTimes

Thanks for the info Patrick, without you, we would all be in the dark about this whole thing.  Every other service seems kind of behind on the news about this.

cicatriz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cicatriz
    Reaallly?

i mean reaaaaaaly?
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By ch13696

What's the point of having a free month of PS+? If you choose not to continue the subscription then you lose all the free stuff and discounts.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Klei

Sony should give to every game 20 bucks for PSN downloads. Not free PS+ access for one month, because you will lose everything if you don't keep it subscribed.
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MAST
    @ch13696 said:
    " What's the point of having a free month of PS+? If you choose not to continue the subscription then you lose all the free stuff and discounts. "
    Yeah, you lose all the free stuff, but anything you actually buy at a discount you get to keep. That's actually the best part about having PSN+, they often offer games that are normally 10-15 bucks to PSN+ users at a discount, sometimes as low as 5 bucks, or 2.50. So if you buy a couple games heavily discounted games while you have PSN+, that would mean Sony has basically given you 20-30 bucks. It's the entire reason people pay 50-60 bucks to have PSN+ for a year. Because it more than pays for itself simply in discounts.

In addition, this "free month of PSN+" isn't the only thing Sony is doing. I'm not sure why people are only focusing on that. They also said free games are going to be straight up given to people, and they've also probably spent billions of dollars for that identity theft program that PSN users will be able to enroll in for free. Which has a 1 million dollar insurance policy for it's members if they actually get their identity stolen.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Marz

If PSN stays down for over a month, there better be some better compensation than the free PS+ membership for a month.

Kirbichu54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Kirbichu54

....I just want to get back in Home. I need to improve my times on Sodium Two.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#39  Edited By Siphillis

And one week after, it'll be like nothing ever happened.

IamTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By IamTom

I bought my PS3 the day before this shit went down!

Fair to say my first impression has been soured....

tropico89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By p_p_o_d

I guess this means will roll PSN features out over the next week or 2.

start with just letting people log in and play games over the weekend then get the store and other stuff back up when there finished over the next week or 2.   

VegasAceVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By VegasAceVII

Good to hear Sony, thank you for getting this garbage takin' care of.  I might be one of the few here that feels you handled this alright.  I'm excited to see the rewards we will receive too.  I look forward to moving on with the rest of us gamers.  Portal 2 and Mortal Kombat night anyone!?

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By awe_stuck

Yes, Sony thank you for buying a pair of pants a year after coming to the party!!! god bless you for letting hackers steal peoples information.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MAST
    @Siphillis said:
    " And one week after, it'll be like nothing ever happened. "
    Yeah, it's pretty funny. This whole thing will fade so fast once people actually get back online, and back to playing their games.

This is really no different then taking a pacifier away from a baby. The baby might be completely fine, content, and quiet while they have it, but then you take it away and it's instant RAAAAAGGGEEE, screaming, kicking, and flailing about. Then you give them back the pacifier, and it's immediate silence again...

Yep... I know I'm not dropping any knowledge bombs on anyone (this is fairly obvious to anyone that has used the internet for more than a month), but the world is full of sensationalistic crybabies.
    histeachn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By histeachn
    @MAST: Thanks for being very reasonable and level-headed about this.  I was pleased to see this development, but hesitant to read the comment section since people have gotten understandably upset (it's tried me, too).  I do seriously hope Sony ends up helping everyone out in the way you describe.  You even make subscribing to PS+ like something I'd want to do. 
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @MAST said:
    " @Siphillis said:
    Yeah, it's pretty funny. This whole thing will fade so fast once people actually get back online, and back to playing their games.This is really no different then taking a pacifier away from a baby. The baby might be completely fine, content, and quiet while they have it, but then you take it away and it's instant RAAAAAGGGEEE, screaming, kicking, and flailing about. Then you give them back the pacifier, and it's immediate silence again...Yep... I know I'm not dropping any knowledge bombs on anyone (this is fairly obvious to anyone that has used the internet for more than a month), but the world is full of sensationalistic crybabies. "
    Really.  Sony being called to Congress.  Sure thing mate.
    VegasAceVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By VegasAceVII
    @MAST said:
    " @Siphillis said:
    Yeah, it's pretty funny. This whole thing will fade so fast once people actually get back online, and back to playing their games.This is really no different then taking a pacifier away from a baby. The baby might be completely fine, content, and quiet while they have it, but then you take it away and it's instant RAAAAAGGGEEE, screaming, kicking, and flailing about. Then you give them back the pacifier, and it's immediate silence again...Yep... I know I'm not dropping any knowledge bombs on anyone (this is fairly obvious to anyone that has used the internet for more than a month), but the world is full of sensationalistic crybabies. "
    Exactly.
    Firelogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Firelogic

I just want access to my cloud saves. Yakuza 4 needs to be played!

Burn1n9m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50  Edited By Burn1n9m4n

I wonder if this will make them reconsider the use of online passes in order to milk customers for money? To be fair, its really going to backfire for Sony in this case. I bet EA is wondering what would happen to Project $10 if shit like this happened during a major EA Sports release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.