PlayStation Network Still Down 'A Few More Days'

• 132 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3468 posts) -
[insert "It Does Everything" joke]

When Bloomberg reported PlayStation Network might be down until May 31, Sony contacted outlets, assuring the end-of-May deadline was not correct. What Sony cannot provide to counter speculation, however, is an accurate date of when PSN will be back. As of this morning, nothing has changed.

"I know you all want to know exactly when the services will be restored," updated Sony senior director of corporate communications and social media Patrick Seybold on the PlayStation Blog.

"At this time, I can’t give you an exact date, as it will likely be at least a few more day," he continued. "We’re terribly sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work through this process."

A few more days would make PSN's outage a three-week affair. PSN was expected to come back online in some form late last week, but additional internal testing was reportedly needed, Sony explained on Friday. The company has avoided specific timetables for PSN's return, given the fluidity of finalizing security.

Patience is beginning to run thin, however, with third-parties like Capcom publicly criticizing Sony.

"As an executive responsible for running a business," said Capcom VP Christian Svensson, "the resulting outage obviously costing us hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars in revenue that were planned for within our budget. These are funds we rely on to bring new games to market for our fans."

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3468 posts) -
[insert "It Does Everything" joke]

When Bloomberg reported PlayStation Network might be down until May 31, Sony contacted outlets, assuring the end-of-May deadline was not correct. What Sony cannot provide to counter speculation, however, is an accurate date of when PSN will be back. As of this morning, nothing has changed.

"I know you all want to know exactly when the services will be restored," updated Sony senior director of corporate communications and social media Patrick Seybold on the PlayStation Blog.

"At this time, I can’t give you an exact date, as it will likely be at least a few more day," he continued. "We’re terribly sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work through this process."

A few more days would make PSN's outage a three-week affair. PSN was expected to come back online in some form late last week, but additional internal testing was reportedly needed, Sony explained on Friday. The company has avoided specific timetables for PSN's return, given the fluidity of finalizing security.

Patience is beginning to run thin, however, with third-parties like Capcom publicly criticizing Sony.

"As an executive responsible for running a business," said Capcom VP Christian Svensson, "the resulting outage obviously costing us hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars in revenue that were planned for within our budget. These are funds we rely on to bring new games to market for our fans."

Staff
#2 Posted by SteamBox (28 posts) -

called it :(

#3 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

Gotta say I'm starting to get a little ticked-off...

#4 Posted by Sayishere (1838 posts) -

omg

#5 Posted by JacDG (2113 posts) -

Mortal Kombat online, I hardly knew ye' can't wait to get you back, my beloved prince.

#6 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6185 posts) -

IT WILL NEVER RETURN.

#7 Posted by PKHilson (205 posts) -

Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmit!!

Can I just play MK online? Please??
#8 Posted by HiCZoK (238 posts) -

wooow.... That is some old news... but still. I wonder how much does developers loose over this. Brink proboably wont do too good

#9 Posted by Winternet (8004 posts) -

Totally caught off guard

#10 Posted by Alphazero (1535 posts) -

Shit status: broke still

#11 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

But I don't play online anyways, so why would I care! As long as it comes back before holiday, I'm fine.

#12 Posted by sublime90 (528 posts) -

yup my patience is running thin as well. i have back to the future ep 3 waiting to be downloaded and played! not to mention when i get LA Noire id like some online connection to link my social club account. its not sony's fault though, if they end up bringing PSN live again and its still broken....then shit will hit the fan at 300mph.

#13 Posted by Sweep (8817 posts) -

Just a heads up: The Capcom link takes you to the SONY wiki :D

#14 Posted by N7 (3573 posts) -

Well, it's better than "A few more weeks".

Glad to see it's going to be coming back that soon, anyway.

#15 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2088 posts) -

The only thing I can take from this? Sony has started talking a little bit more. But still, at least it appears they are SORTING it out rather than leaving it as it is.

#16 Posted by Nomin (964 posts) -

The Fukushima of all networks. 

#17 Posted by nickux (1383 posts) -

They always mention how much they appreciate our patience. Mine ran out weeks ago for this whole situation.

#18 Posted by Marz (5642 posts) -

Socom 4 and Brink DOA on PS3 pretty much

#19 Posted by 1p (760 posts) -

It's not even funny anymore. :(

#20 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1388 posts) -

Good thing I have a gaming PC. I completely forgot about PSN being down.
#21 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Why is it so hard for them to give a single date.

#22 Posted by FoxMulder (1625 posts) -

Yes, Capcom is losing millions from those PSN Megaman avatars!

#23 Posted by fisk0 (3849 posts) -
@insane_shadowblade85 said:
" Good thing I have a gaming PC. I completely forgot about PSN being down. "
I also game a lot on the PC, but I miss playing MAG, which I did every day after work before the PSN fell.
#24 Posted by Gnubberen (760 posts) -

Well even though it's a total bummer, I'd rather see them take their time, than missing a hole in the security.

#25 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

This anger has to be displaced somewhere. Fuck you, Sony.

#26 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

I wonder what the Socom devs are doing right now?

#27 Posted by Scarabus (478 posts) -

The sooner the better.

I wonder if Sony will shoot themselves in the foot again and go "There. We're done and more secure than ever! No one can touch your data now", effectively spiting more hackers to try.

Anyone in computer security knows that "secure" is a very loose term and a new system will inherently be untested in the wild and thus insecure. It wouldn't surprise me if they get hacked numerous times in the future, but I'll be happy if they kept my credit card information safe and didn't have to rebuild the whole thing next time.

#28 Posted by Getz (2989 posts) -

#29 Posted by Meltbrain (2968 posts) -

God damn you, Sony. At least be honest when you can't do your shit on the timescale you set yourselves.

#30 Posted by Marcsman (3113 posts) -

No light at the end of the tunnel yet
#31 Posted by cyraxible (682 posts) -
@HiCZoK: Brink probably won't do well due to the less than stellar critical reception.
#32 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

Loving all the the coverage so far - say, are news sites gonna pick up on the courts praising Sony for its handling of the situation after they filed the info requested and what not? that happened a lot earlier today than this announcement made it out.

#33 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Deep sigh...

#34 Posted by Nadafinga (957 posts) -

OK. Done. Buying a 360 after work today.

#35 Edited by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

We might, maybe, perhaps, some day in the near future, with relative quickness, upon the completion of our testing, in a few days, think about re-establishing PSN in SOME capacity... maybe.

#36 Posted by BooDoug187 (339 posts) -

No no no we won't be back on 31st... we will be back on the last Tuesday of the month!

#37 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

W---want to play Portal 2...

RAGE.

#38 Posted by BoFooQ (659 posts) -

maybe we should start a poll of when you think it will come back.  I would guess that it comes back up this friday 13th, but is than back down within a week.

for people who want to know why they can't give an exact date, it's cuase they don't know.  If it were fixed it would be back up, but it's broke.  once it's fixed they probably run a final test and make it live, so there will never be time for an anouncment.

i.e. sony vp

"PSN will be up in 4 hours"

#39 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Your capcom link goes to sony...

#40 Posted by MagikGimp (776 posts) -

And to think they're still pushing the online part of the PS3 sponsorship ads on TV. You could probably do them for inaccurate advertising or something.

#41 Posted by BLipp18 (256 posts) -

ugh, hurry up sony, i just wanna play Outland!

#42 Posted by BalrogsBain (81 posts) -

okay is the bet now which gets released first Duke Nukem or psn coming back up ?

#43 Posted by TadThuggish (904 posts) -

lol

#44 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

"In a years time"

Its only a few more days till PSN comes back up!

#45 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -
@JacDG said:
" Mortal Kombat online, I hardly knew ye' can't wait to get you back, my beloved prince. "
This.
#46 Posted by Zabant (1232 posts) -

This is becoming just sad. 

#47 Posted by cooljammer00 (1537 posts) -

Shit's still broke.  Back to you, Ryan.

#48 Posted by brian3d (53 posts) -

This is like Duke Nukem Forever, but instead its the Playstation Network.

#49 Posted by N7 (3573 posts) -
@Hizang said:
"

"In a years time"

Its only a few more days till PSN comes back up!

"
Word.

It seemed like people took it lighter when the word on the street was "the end of the month". This should be great news.
#50 Posted by metalsnakezero (2288 posts) -
@BalrogsBain said:
" okay is the bet now which gets released first Duke Nukem or psn coming back up ? "
Man, that's just wrong. I Seriously hope things will get back up and running again. I want to believe all this time is for a better and safer PSN but does it take that long to build a new security system?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.