PlayStation Plus Subscribers To Get Cloud Saves Tomorrow

• 120 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
PSN will be experiencing a whopping eleven hours of downtime starting earlier today, and for good reason: Sony’s very own Top Men are preparing the service for the arrival of that long-awaited--and once-fabled--PlayStation Plus feature, cloud-based saves.

Starting tomorrow, all  PlayStation Plus subscribers will be able to get 150MBs worth of cloud space to spend on up to 1,000 save files. Even “copy-prohibited” save data will be supported with this new service. The catch is that save data can only “be restored once per 24-hour period.” Also, a PS blog posting mentions that "most," not all, games will be compatible with online saves.

== TEASER ==As you’d suspect, online storage will be accessed through the XMB once you've updated to the latest firmware that this feature comes bundled with. Also, you’ll be able to monitor how much data you’ve got in the air via a feature in the updated info bar.

If you want this feature, you’ll need to cough up the $50 dollars for a yearly subscription, or the $18 for a three-month subscription. PSN Plus will also give you “exclusive” access to demos and (arguably its most standout feature) free game downloads.

Anyone eager to save their stuff in the cloud?     
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
PSN will be experiencing a whopping eleven hours of downtime starting earlier today, and for good reason: Sony’s very own Top Men are preparing the service for the arrival of that long-awaited--and once-fabled--PlayStation Plus feature, cloud-based saves.

Starting tomorrow, all  PlayStation Plus subscribers will be able to get 150MBs worth of cloud space to spend on up to 1,000 save files. Even “copy-prohibited” save data will be supported with this new service. The catch is that save data can only “be restored once per 24-hour period.” Also, a PS blog posting mentions that "most," not all, games will be compatible with online saves.

== TEASER ==As you’d suspect, online storage will be accessed through the XMB once you've updated to the latest firmware that this feature comes bundled with. Also, you’ll be able to monitor how much data you’ve got in the air via a feature in the updated info bar.

If you want this feature, you’ll need to cough up the $50 dollars for a yearly subscription, or the $18 for a three-month subscription. PSN Plus will also give you “exclusive” access to demos and (arguably its most standout feature) free game downloads.

Anyone eager to save their stuff in the cloud?     
#2 Posted by skcusnatnivlem (17 posts) -

Cool

#3 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2379 posts) -

yes, I hate it when my data gets corrupted.

#4 Posted by ZombieSpace (286 posts) -

Alright.

#5 Posted by zitosilva (1840 posts) -

I didn't care about PSN Plus in the beginning, not really sure why, but it seems to be a really good value. I guess I'll check out for three months, see how much I like it.

#6 Posted by PanzerPev (34 posts) -

This is the closest I've ever been!! arhhhhhh

#7 Edited by AlexW00d (6236 posts) -

It's back up for me in England, it was supposedly down from 4pm, its now 10.20, not sure when it went back up, but it was in the last 40ish minutes.

#8 Posted by Kaibar (82 posts) -

I actually wanted to get ps+ for the mk demo and stacking, but then I realized stacking isn't free anymore for plus members. I don't really see the appeal of cloud saving.

#9 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Frak.

Cool.

#10 Posted by CosmicQueso (569 posts) -

PS Plus is a great value... the games alone more than make up for the cost but the convenience of auto-downloads and updates?  I mean, sure Sony could make that free for everyone, but if something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, then good for Sony for making a couple bucks on it.  Business!

#11 Posted by rjayb89 (7720 posts) -

I guess this is cool. I just play on my one and only PS3. Either way, I enjoy this PlayStation Plus business in my pants.

#12 Posted by SomeJerk (3216 posts) -

PSN+ pays for itself in the freebies you get and now, this? A must-have for those still on fat PS3s that may or may not be heading towards YLOD.

#13 Posted by rbanke (191 posts) -
#14 Posted by virtorio (249 posts) -

That's the first thing about PS+ that would make me consider subscribing to it. 

#15 Posted by AuthenticM (3716 posts) -

So will Jeff subscribe?

#16 Posted by fraser (478 posts) -

My old PS3 broke 3 weeks ago. I now have a new PS3 lacking in many a save file. I would have loved this.

The question now is, will I act on this and actually subscribe to Playstation Plus to avoid this happening again in the future? Or sit complacently in my arrogance that this ps3 won't break.

Probably the latter.

#17 Posted by fozzyozzy (52 posts) -

Was thinking this should make the GB crew ecstatic...until I read once in a 24 hour period.  That little obstacle seems so arbitrary.

#18 Posted by adoggz (2064 posts) -

great now i can upload my ps3 saves to play them later on my... other ps3?

#19 Edited by X19 (2306 posts) -
  • Does that include SCEE too? 
  • If your membership runs out does it delete your saves from the cloud?
#20 Posted by Demonstride (864 posts) -

Well that's a nice little plus I might not use it but hey, it is still there.

#21 Posted by SuperSambo (2860 posts) -

' PSN will be experiencing a whopping eleven hours of downtime starting earlier today"

It was back up before this article was posted...

#22 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

XBL better step it up soon.

#23 Posted by MisterMouse (3550 posts) -

probably great for giant bomb!

#24 Posted by tourgen (4475 posts) -

kinda weirding my out that there would be games that aren't compatible with this.  It's not like this is a PC or something.  Sony has full control over the SDK, the hardware, and the OS.

#25 Posted by Punk1984 (549 posts) -

I'll probably upload my saves once a week for security sounds great but I was more psyched when Stacking was free.

#26 Posted by IronScimitar (490 posts) -
Now its time to pony up the 50 bucks that i gave to Whiskey Media instead.
#27 Posted by Punk1984 (549 posts) -
@tourgen said:
" kinda weirding my out that there would be games that aren't compatible with this.  It's not like this is a PC or something.  Sony has full control over the SDK, the hardware, and the OS. "
That compatibility was with the in game cloud save option that will be implemented in games going forward.
#28 Posted by LiquidSaiyan3 (460 posts) -

YES!! *pumps fists*

#29 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

looks like I'm getting playstation plus, having a backup for my fat Ps3 is to good to pass up.

#30 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5414 posts) -

Using this tomorrow so I don't need to buy a memory stick and back up my saves myself!

#31 Posted by AURON570 (1674 posts) -
@rbanke said:
" I asked about the 24h thing and got a response, yes you can only download a save once per 24h but if you upload a new version of a save, that resets the time. So if you download a save on ps3A and play a bit, save and reupload, then go to ps3B, you will be able to download that save again within the 24h period 

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/03/09/online-storage-for-game-saves-coming-to-playstation-plus/comment-page-2/#comment-531006 "
well that's a relief, i wonder why they would need that restriction to begin with anyways.
#32 Posted by Chris2KLee (2334 posts) -

Nice feature, but I'm not sure it's something I'm dying for. The restrictions on it are a head scratcher.

#33 Posted by lazyb (52 posts) -

In six months Ive gotten more value  from ps+ then i ever will from LIVE

#34 Posted by Poki3 (525 posts) -

Wanted to write this on the PS blog, but PSN was off and couldn't.

So, I'm all for some cloud saves, sure thing. There's a problem though :/
You have to do this all manually! One save at a time... did you check how some games manage saves? Little Big Planet saves your data in the section responsible for installs, Wipeout HD has a different save file for each and every track! Games have different saves for options and multiplayer settings, and singleplayer saves...
Manually uploading and downloading saves one save at a time won't cut it. This feature needs to be fully automated like the Steam one. You tell it that you want to or don't want to use cloud saves for a game. The console checks modification dates of the local and remote saves and works accordingly.

#35 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

Know PS Plus has my attention, iam seriously considering whether or not to go for this, but then again im not sure!

#36 Posted by Miketakon (514 posts) -

PS+ is on fire.  Thinking about signing up.

#37 Posted by metalsnakezero (2290 posts) -

Lots of good stuff on PS Plus. I may sign up once I can get a steady cash flow.

#38 Posted by IshimuraD (396 posts) -

If I ever manage to get a new harddrive for my PS3, I'm pretty sure I'm going to sign up for PS+.

#39 Posted by miva2 (226 posts) -

PS+ is awesome, get it.
cool feature but will it really be useful to most players?

#40 Posted by juanvaldes (184 posts) -

This is pretty huge. As a old fogey I really dislike how difficult it is this generation to bring a game over to a friends house and pick up where you left off then go home and continue. Also being a offsite backup of your game state is a nice perk. 

#41 Posted by Microshock (341 posts) -

This is a great feature. I really dislike paying for Xbox Live Gold even more when I see PS Plus get features like this, automatic patching, free games, etc and XBL gets..twitter and facebook.  

#42 Posted by rbanke (191 posts) -
@AURON570 said:
" @rbanke said:
" I asked about the 24h thing and got a response, yes you can only download a save once per 24h but if you upload a new version of a save, that resets the time. So if you download a save on ps3A and play a bit, save and reupload, then go to ps3B, you will be able to download that save again within the 24h period 

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/03/09/online-storage-for-game-saves-coming-to-playstation-plus/comment-page-2/#comment-531006 "
well that's a relief, i wonder why they would need that restriction to begin with anyways. "
If i had to guess, it's to keep bandwidth usage low. They are gonna get hammered as it is, so perhaps its just to keep us from downing their servers. Hopefully in the future they remove this limitation though.
#43 Posted by Cameron (597 posts) -

Do many of you actually own two PS3s? I can see the value of cloud saves on Steam where I use multiple computers to play games (laptop while I'm out and desktop at home), but I don't really see the use for the PS3. I understand why it would be cool for the GB guys, but not for the average user. Backup is fine, but I can do that to an external drive for free.

#44 Posted by EgoCheck616 (782 posts) -
@Cameron said:
" Do many of you actually own two PS3s? I can see the value of cloud saves on Steam where I use multiple computers to play games (laptop while I'm out and desktop at home), but I don't really see the use for the PS3. I understand why it would be cool for the GB guys, but not for the average user. Backup is fine, but I can do that to an external drive for free. "
This is an additional perk for the people who already see great value in something like PS+. 
People like myself. 

I see no point in ripping on something that at the end of the day only helps users.
#45 Posted by Lukesoad (7 posts) -

May be the push I need to get involved with Playstation plus

#46 Posted by PCWV (105 posts) -

I am still on my first PS3 (an 80gb model bought in year 1) which is rare as I understand it, I have backed up my saves to an HDD but not all could copy and it was the time consuming ones like AC:B and Mass Effect 2 so I will definitely sign up for this! But I will choose the 3 month rather than 12 as it will be easier to bankroll.

#47 Posted by tobygw (580 posts) -

I HAVE PSN PLUS! IM READY FOR THE FUTURE!

#48 Posted by sopachuco13 (392 posts) -

Playstation Plus is a great service for many people. I think that PS+ and Xbox live are on par with each other. We all pay $60 for an Xbox Live membership, (whisper) but we don't get jack shit for free. Microsoft has long been against giving away free stuff (i.e. map packs, games, hell, even beta access). Each service has its quirks. 

I own both services and I am completely happy with PS+. I have drifted more towards my PS3 lately. I got Stacking for free, (a little secret for those members who don't know) you can get Wipeout HD for free, and I also like to play old Playstation games still. I am playing the first Spyro right now.
#49 Posted by bricewgilbert (183 posts) -

If this doesn't update automatically (like every cloud storage system out there) then what is the point? It seems like another half asses attempt by Sony (crossfame chat anyone?) Plus that storage limit isn't much. Then you have that 24 hour period where youcant update a save? Really weird.

#50 Posted by l4wd0g (1935 posts) -

Great for Game reviewers, not so great for the rest of us. Luckily for Sony, keeping reviewers happy exponentially increases the number of free PR people they have.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.