Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

PS3 got YLOD. Do I have to send it in?

Avatar image for smallmanoncampus
    smallmanoncampus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By smallmanoncampus

Today, my PS3 got the Yellow Light of Death for the second time in the last two years. Last time I just sent it in to Sony, but it's a huge hassle for me to do that again, so are there any ways I can fix it at home?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Humanity

I had a friend that fixed it himself but it involved buying a new optical drive and sodering inside the unit which seems super daunting. My advice is to either send it in or just purchase a new one.

digthedoug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By digthedoug

Some YLODs can be fixed by refloating some of the components on the board. There are instructions out there that involve using a heat gun or powerful hairdryer into the vents to melt the solder, theoretically reestablishing a better connection. I got a YLOD and was able to fix mine this way (80gb version), the only downside that I have to turn it on manually using the touch power button rather than the controller, but other than that its worked again for over a year.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By nickux

Unless you REALLY know what you're doing, it's most likely worth just sending it in to Sony. It sucks because they are likely to charge you another $129 or whatever since repaired/refurbished units only come with a 90-day warranty and it sounds like your PS3 is past that. It may be worth considering getting a new model altogether for $250. It seems wrong to give them money to repair or replace the same PS3 twice.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By iam3green

send it to sony, or you could pay a place to fix it. there are a few computer places that do it, if you look around.

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

fat or slim?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Spoonman671

Follow this:

This is only a temporary solution, but there is no permanent solution and since your PS3 isn't working, you don't really have anything to lose.
    Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Catarrhal

Thanks to this tutorial, I was able to fix mine. Haven't had a single problem since then, and that was over two years ago. Personally, I would never, ever send a busted console in for "repair," regardless as to whether or not the warranty had expired. All they do is send you someone else's busted-ass console. Screw that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.