PS3 trouble with online connection

Posted by Redbullet685 (6020 posts) -

I've had the PS3 for about 2 1/2 months and have been having problems lately. I will connect to PSN pretty quickly, but when I go to play online games that have you connect to networks, (ModNation Racers, Uncharted 2) I've had problems connecting. I can connect to some games like MAG, Fat Princess, MGO, LBP,ect. but not MNR or Unc. 2. My connection is usually 70-80% so I dont get why it wouldn't work. Help please.

#1 Posted by Redbullet685 (6020 posts) -

I've had the PS3 for about 2 1/2 months and have been having problems lately. I will connect to PSN pretty quickly, but when I go to play online games that have you connect to networks, (ModNation Racers, Uncharted 2) I've had problems connecting. I can connect to some games like MAG, Fat Princess, MGO, LBP,ect. but not MNR or Unc. 2. My connection is usually 70-80% so I dont get why it wouldn't work. Help please.

#2 Edited by AjayRaz (12416 posts) -

what do you mean by you're having problems connecting? detail please

#3 Posted by gamb1t (964 posts) -

more info cause that was pretty eh

#4 Posted by blazerx9x (648 posts) -

are you wireless or wired?

#5 Posted by Redbullet685 (6020 posts) -
@blazerx9x: Im wireless.
@AjayRaz: and @gamb1t: 
I Connect to PSN when I sign in and I go into Uncharted, then I go into multiplayer and its starts connecting me. The bar gets about halfway and then tells me that it can't register models or something like that. If I try MNR, I will get signed in but then out really quickly, and same after I do career races. It doesn't do this with any other games, though. Like right now I'm playing Little Big Planet and earlier Fat Princess and is working fine. My connection is fairly good, too.
#6 Posted by AjayRaz (12416 posts) -
@Redbullet685: it can't register models? that sounds like a problem with the game itself rather than your connection. 
#7 Posted by Redbullet685 (6020 posts) -
@AjayRaz: It started saying that only today, but I haven't been able to play it for about a week
#8 Posted by immike (714 posts) -
@Redbullet685: You can try resetting the ps3 settings to default. I've had a couple problems, but after I reset to default settings, it started working again.
Note: Not the option that erases everything on the ps3 of course. 
#9 Posted by Redbullet685 (6020 posts) -
@immike: ill try that. hopefully it works
#10 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

Modnation has horrible connection problems, which is why I traded it in. That's just an issue with that game, not necessarily with your Playstation 3.

#11 Posted by immike (714 posts) -
@Redbullet685: Yeah, let me know. Hopefully it does. My PS3 was making a weird noise one time, so I reset it and now it runs quiet like usual. :)
#12 Edited by Redbullet685 (6020 posts) -
@immike: Thanks for trying, but it didn't work. I restored the settings, but it still says that Unc. 2 can't register models and MNR just don't work. I don't think there is any reason to keep MNR without online, but I don't know about Unc. 2. I might keep it.

Wait, nevermind MNR is working now. Thanks, again.
#13 Posted by blazerx9x (648 posts) -
@Redbullet685: i know i`m kinda late but as far as I know wired is better, but as I can see your connection is working fine so there`s no need to worry anymore
#14 Posted by immike (714 posts) -
@Redbullet685: No problem, and I recall you said you were wireless. You may want to try directly connecting the modem to your ps3 to see if it's a router issue. It might be a stretch, but routers are very finicky and complicated. If that doesn't work, then you have to contact Sony directly. Glad Modnation works now, good luck!
#15 Posted by Redbullet685 (6020 posts) -

Uncharted works now after like 3 weeks. YAY

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.