Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

PSN outage; Silver lining for this cheap-ass gamer...

1UStasis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By 1UStasis

I play games on the PC. The only dedicated gaming hardware I own is a PSP, a PSP I purchased this year to scratch the itch of console style gaming. I had no intention of ever owning a PS3.  With the PSN outage Gamestop has issued a promotion where select PowerUp rewards members (read: idiots who gave Gamestop 15 dollars for a magazine and a trade-in discount (read: idiots like me)) would receive a $100 discount on 160Gb or 320Gb PS3's and I was one of said recipients of said coupon. Whats more is I also received my tax refund that day. I was teetering this way and that pondering whether I needed a PS3 in my life, when the next day, PSN was back online and as a "welcome back" gift Sony was handing out free PS+ for a month. I had no PS3, but I did have an account, necessary for use with my PSP, perhaps I too would receive a bunch of free stuff for the inconvenience  that was of no inconvenience to me.  I made a decision then, a decision that I indeed would own a PS3, but I was going to get the cheapest PS3 I could. I gathered 9 PSP games that I was rather fond of, but will purchase digital versions of shortly, and one lone XBox 360 wireless controller used for a few hours of GTA  IV on my computer and traded them in for an additional 87 dollars credit. $113 dollar PS3. Purchased Portal 2 and 3D dot Game Heros and left Gamestop with a PS3 and two games (three if you count my steam activation code). Success.
    I didn't actually own a HD television, just an 8 year old LCD 20.1 monitor that was the shit when it rolled off the assembly line in 2003 (ViewSonic VP201B, look it up). Next on the agenda was to pick up HDMI to DVI converters. This itself was somewhat of a pain as the last place I looked (walmart) had everything I needed to run my PS3 off my Monitor as well as split the audio off onto my computer speakers. One problem, my monitor, while technically being 720p ready was not, apparently, HDCP compliant. Back to Walmart. Walked out with a simple yet effective 21.5 1080p computer monitor which worked like a charm. All said and done $113 PS3, $60 Games (portal 2, 3dDotGH etc) $140 Monitor $22 HDMI $17 DVI HDMI adapter. $352 start to finish to go from owning no consoles (love you PSP) to having a fairly decent setup. S'good.

1UStasis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By 1UStasis

I play games on the PC. The only dedicated gaming hardware I own is a PSP, a PSP I purchased this year to scratch the itch of console style gaming. I had no intention of ever owning a PS3.  With the PSN outage Gamestop has issued a promotion where select PowerUp rewards members (read: idiots who gave Gamestop 15 dollars for a magazine and a trade-in discount (read: idiots like me)) would receive a $100 discount on 160Gb or 320Gb PS3's and I was one of said recipients of said coupon. Whats more is I also received my tax refund that day. I was teetering this way and that pondering whether I needed a PS3 in my life, when the next day, PSN was back online and as a "welcome back" gift Sony was handing out free PS+ for a month. I had no PS3, but I did have an account, necessary for use with my PSP, perhaps I too would receive a bunch of free stuff for the inconvenience  that was of no inconvenience to me.  I made a decision then, a decision that I indeed would own a PS3, but I was going to get the cheapest PS3 I could. I gathered 9 PSP games that I was rather fond of, but will purchase digital versions of shortly, and one lone XBox 360 wireless controller used for a few hours of GTA  IV on my computer and traded them in for an additional 87 dollars credit. $113 dollar PS3. Purchased Portal 2 and 3D dot Game Heros and left Gamestop with a PS3 and two games (three if you count my steam activation code). Success.
    I didn't actually own a HD television, just an 8 year old LCD 20.1 monitor that was the shit when it rolled off the assembly line in 2003 (ViewSonic VP201B, look it up). Next on the agenda was to pick up HDMI to DVI converters. This itself was somewhat of a pain as the last place I looked (walmart) had everything I needed to run my PS3 off my Monitor as well as split the audio off onto my computer speakers. One problem, my monitor, while technically being 720p ready was not, apparently, HDCP compliant. Back to Walmart. Walked out with a simple yet effective 21.5 1080p computer monitor which worked like a charm. All said and done $113 PS3, $60 Games (portal 2, 3dDotGH etc) $140 Monitor $22 HDMI $17 DVI HDMI adapter. $352 start to finish to go from owning no consoles (love you PSP) to having a fairly decent setup. S'good.

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By jkuc316

Yes you will get free PSP games btw

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Heltom92

i suggest getting inFamous and LittleBigPlanet when they put the Store back up.

1UStasis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By 1UStasis

@jkuc316 Excelsior! :D

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By WickedCobra03

Really more than anything,  I just want to know my personal information is safe.  Next, them to revise their policies with DRM and network authentication with their apps (i.e. Netflix) and their games (Need for speed is super annoying when not signed into PSN, and Bionic Commando 2 straight up doesn't work).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.