PSN+ Sounds Like A Good Deal

• 179 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

I've heard that it's a bad thing to let a rumor become fact in your brain, and while I totally agree with this sensible and grounded bit of advice, I can't help but to hang my fancy skepticism hat on the proverbial rack whenever I hear about possible Sony plans to launch a pay-for premium PlayStation Network service. Surveys and choice quotes suggesting a tiered PSN have been floating around forever. Persistence isn't exactly the perfect word for the behavior of the gossip, but it works--especially since a new rumor has sprouted: Joystiq is reporting via a source that a pay-for PSN tier, dubbed PSN+, will be revealed at this year's E3

Play for an hour ... before you buy!
And Joystiq has some cool, possible details about it. Like Xbox LIVE Gold, PSN+ allegedly will offer its subscribers "bonuses," but it won't strip the ability for non-paying members of PSN from participating in online play. In a nutshell, the PSN+ user will be able to access exclusive DLC, PS Store deals, and cross-game voice chat, as well as opt-in to automatic system updates, and that new PlayStation Protection Plan. Interestingly, Joystiq reports via their source that PSN+ subscribers will get access to something called a "first hour" demo, which allows the user to play the first hour of a downloadable retail game before deciding to buy it. (Apparently they'll have to download the entire game for the access first.)

It's true enough that PSN still has catching up to do with Xbox LIVE, even when you factor in some of these PSN+ components. For example, party chat seems like a must in order for sensible people to avoid the online riffraff. Still, if this rumor proves true, we'll be looking at a PSN that will finally offer meaningful and unique stuff. The "first hour" demo certainly seems to qualify as that.

The word is that this plan could cost $9.99 a month. That may be a deal-breaker for most until they turn their PS3 on for the first time in a month and download sixteen updates. And, yeah, I'm going to harp on that whole updating thing. I really wanted to play Heavy Rain the night I bought it. Instead of screaming for a Jason or crawling around in glass, though, I watched an update bar. Not as cool, although I must say, the dialogue during the update process was occasionally better.  

Anyway, PSN+ could be a thing that might be announced at E3. Are you stoked? Ready to pay? Or are you in the "yo, PSN needs to be free forever no matter what" camp?
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

I've heard that it's a bad thing to let a rumor become fact in your brain, and while I totally agree with this sensible and grounded bit of advice, I can't help but to hang my fancy skepticism hat on the proverbial rack whenever I hear about possible Sony plans to launch a pay-for premium PlayStation Network service. Surveys and choice quotes suggesting a tiered PSN have been floating around forever. Persistence isn't exactly the perfect word for the behavior of the gossip, but it works--especially since a new rumor has sprouted: Joystiq is reporting via a source that a pay-for PSN tier, dubbed PSN+, will be revealed at this year's E3

Play for an hour ... before you buy!
And Joystiq has some cool, possible details about it. Like Xbox LIVE Gold, PSN+ allegedly will offer its subscribers "bonuses," but it won't strip the ability for non-paying members of PSN from participating in online play. In a nutshell, the PSN+ user will be able to access exclusive DLC, PS Store deals, and cross-game voice chat, as well as opt-in to automatic system updates, and that new PlayStation Protection Plan. Interestingly, Joystiq reports via their source that PSN+ subscribers will get access to something called a "first hour" demo, which allows the user to play the first hour of a downloadable retail game before deciding to buy it. (Apparently they'll have to download the entire game for the access first.)

It's true enough that PSN still has catching up to do with Xbox LIVE, even when you factor in some of these PSN+ components. For example, party chat seems like a must in order for sensible people to avoid the online riffraff. Still, if this rumor proves true, we'll be looking at a PSN that will finally offer meaningful and unique stuff. The "first hour" demo certainly seems to qualify as that.

The word is that this plan could cost $9.99 a month. That may be a deal-breaker for most until they turn their PS3 on for the first time in a month and download sixteen updates. And, yeah, I'm going to harp on that whole updating thing. I really wanted to play Heavy Rain the night I bought it. Instead of screaming for a Jason or crawling around in glass, though, I watched an update bar. Not as cool, although I must say, the dialogue during the update process was occasionally better.  

Anyway, PSN+ could be a thing that might be announced at E3. Are you stoked? Ready to pay? Or are you in the "yo, PSN needs to be free forever no matter what" camp?
#2 Posted by csiguy911 (6 posts) -

the best deal

#3 Posted by ElegantRuby (516 posts) -

I would be willing to pay, but I would need more info on this whole "exclusive DLC" thing.  Otherwise, I am perfectly content with free to play PSN.

#4 Posted by ChickenPants (934 posts) -

Sounds cool.

Enjoy your writing style.

#5 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

this "fplay the first hour of a game" thing sounds good, but is it every game, just games available to buy online, what? need more details

#6 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -

It all sounded great until the $120 a year bombshell got dropped.

#7 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -

Playstation Protection Plan, subscribe or your console will mysteriously stop working after a random patch.

#8 Posted by nanikore (2740 posts) -

Sounds alright.

#9 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -
@Rhaknar said:
" this "fplay the first hour of a game" thing sounds good, but is it every game, just games available to buy online, what? need more details "
"a 'first hour' demo, which allows the user to play the first hour of a downloadable retail game before deciding to buy it."
Sounds like just stuff you can get digitally already. 
#10 Posted by Allprox (537 posts) -

Exclusive DLC is fucking stupid. Everyone should have access to the content in some way.

#11 Posted by GetBentTheVideoGame (261 posts) -

Five hundred and ninety nine US dollars.

#12 Posted by Pocky4Th3Win (133 posts) -

I heard that part of the package would include access to PSX Titles without requiring to purchase them individually... that makes it a buy in my book. :o
#13 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

I don't see PSN+ making any impact, but I would like to see XBL Silver Memberships allow for multiplayer gaming.

#14 Posted by NeoKef (73 posts) -

I would pay just for the cross game chat.

#15 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

I might do this for the free first hour of play and the Playstation Protection Plan. I have a launch model and would be a shame to dish out another $300 for a new system. Since I already payed $600 for it in the beginning.

#16 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

I was all on board for this until "9.99 a month."

What's Xbox Live now? Fifty bucks a year?

This is one hundred and twenty bucks a year and it doesn't offer anything that Live doesn't. At least, nothing significant.

So count me out, I guess!

#17 Posted by Kahoona (223 posts) -

Sony has some serious leaks in their company it seems.  Between this, KZ3, and all the leaks before last year's E3 it seems like they're deliberate now.

#18 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@Allprox said:
" Exclusive DLC is fucking stupid. Everyone should have access to the content in some way. "
Well shit. If that was the case then tell Microsoft to fuckin stop with their exclusive DLC. 
#19 Posted by fuzzybunny566 (448 posts) -

speaking of timed demos, isn't there some company out there looking to make demos that strip away features each time you try them?  like in an effort to force you to buy the game instead of playing a demo over and over again .

#20 Posted by nanikore (2740 posts) -
@GetBentTheVideoGame said:
" Five hundred and ninety nine US dollars. "
I don't see how that's relevant. It's less than half that now.
#21 Posted by bobdude1234 (22 posts) -

10 bucks? Definitely not worth it imo.

#22 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
@sixghost said:
" @Rhaknar said:
" this "fplay the first hour of a game" thing sounds good, but is it every game, just games available to buy online, what? need more details "
"a 'first hour' demo, which allows the user to play the first hour of a downloadable retail game before deciding to buy it."Sounds like just stuff you can get digitally already.  "
thats my problem, theres only a few retail games available for download >_> unless they are launching a new service, XBL games on demand style
#23 Posted by ZmillA (2261 posts) -

first hour demo sounds good

paying for cross game voice chat makes me lol, though

#24 Posted by PufferFiz (1376 posts) -

Didn't they say it would be at least less than a yearly xbox live sub?

#25 Posted by GetBentTheVideoGame (261 posts) -
@nanikore said:
" @GetBentTheVideoGame said:
" Five hundred and ninety nine US dollars. "
I don't see how that's relevant. It's less than half that now. "
It's another example of Sony's clueless pricing. This would be over twice the cost of XBL Gold and still nowhere near as feature rich.
#26 Posted by PLWolf (920 posts) -

I Like the sound of this.

#27 Posted by yani (413 posts) -

$10? As long as multiplayer stays free I'm good.  Half the stuff they offer on PSN+ will probably be NA only anyway.

#28 Posted by Creamypies (4052 posts) -

Sounds interesting that's for sure!

#29 Posted by CharlesSurge (126 posts) -

I ain't payin' fo' nuttin'!

#30 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

Rumored price is wayyy too expensive. Th only cool thing in the free first hour and discounts. But spending money to save money is usually a scam. They can't charge more than Xbox Live. 

#31 Posted by EdIsCool (1122 posts) -

not thank you, online play is the only important thing and thats free

#32 Posted by Crono (2640 posts) -

None of those features sound exciting enough for me to subscribe for.  I can play my games online for free and at the end of the day that is all I really want.

#33 Posted by Spiritof (2022 posts) -

For ten bucks a month PSN+ better come with a hellava lot more than that.

$120.00 a year for extended access to demos and special "sales" is a ridiculous concept.

#34 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

$9.99 a month is bad, the rumored features sound good though.

#35 Posted by ProfessorEss (7281 posts) -

I'll wait for the full details but yeah, for ten dollars a month it better offer more than glorified demos.

#36 Posted by Mijati (896 posts) -

I read somewhere, I can't remember where that every month you'd get a "free" PSN game. That would make it worth it, although I really doubt that's true.

#37 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

If they charge more than XBL then I'm out of the equation.

#38 Posted by nick_verissimo (1380 posts) -

Not all that attractive in my opinion.  This would seem viable if the online play wasn't free to begin with because they can't exactly take that away and spending money to get exclusive "deals" seems like crap no matter how you cut it.  The deal thing works on Xbox Live because you're essentially paying for the ability to play online multiplayer games and the deal of the week was always something extra and cool that came along with it.  I honestly don't want to pay ten bucks a month for something where the first hour free demo is the only legit thing that seems interesting that Xbox Live doesn't have, but to that end, if that's the only thing that interests me than I should probably go to blockbuster and rent to game for ten bucks and beat within the week the I have it.  I guess this will be a wait and see deal, but I definitely do see this happening, just have to wait for E3 for all the details.

#39 Posted by iAmJohn (6109 posts) -

I like that one of the exclusive features is something that has been free on Xbox Live since the 360 launched.

#40 Posted by b33 (413 posts) -

pay to have exclusive paid content, awesome

#41 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

This sounds super retarded.  

As long as you can play online for free who would pay for this?    

#42 Posted by phantomzxro (1565 posts) -

Well that does sound  pricey but you guys have to realize that xbox does sell the 7 dollars a month cards which would facter into being 84 dollars a year. So I just hope if sony is doing this they have a yearly plan that is around the same price as the xbox $50 one. If they were smart they would make it under 50 bucks a year.
#43 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

Why not just make it 11 bucks a month, and give all those people dlc for half-off? That sounds like something I can get into. That would mean that some of that Dragon Age dlc might actually be worth the money now. ..Well, if I didn't already buy it again on Steam.

#44 Posted by BergDK (270 posts) -

I don't think Brad N. understands what good deal means?! :p

#45 Posted by RE_Player1 (7550 posts) -

No thanks dude

#46 Posted by Allprox (537 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" @Allprox said:
" Exclusive DLC is fucking stupid. Everyone should have access to the content in some way. "
Well shit. If that was the case then tell Microsoft to fuckin stop with their exclusive DLC.  "
This has nothing to do with what Microsoft does with exclusive DLC. This "exclusive DLC" suggests that any type of DLC that Sony offers can be restricted to premium members only within the PSN itself. Stopping users from buying the DLC  just because they don't pay an extra subscription is ridiculous. Unless that's exactly what Microsoft does with Gold and silver members, but I thought that there was only a short delay for silver members to buy stuff after it comes out for gold members not complete exclusivity.
#47 Posted by Shimakaze (166 posts) -

The thing about the "exclusive DLC" though is that that stuff wouldn't be in addition to the stuff that is available for free users but instead of it. I bet they'll attempt to spin it as "you get more stuff now!" in E3 but I don't see that happening. If DLC were cheaper or free for plus users but still available to everyone to buy it would be one thing, but having the exclusive DLC be available only for + users would be a horrible idea.
Either way if that's the actual price they'll go with they're out of their mind.

#48 Posted by MachoFantastico (4506 posts) -

Not sure what to make of PSN+. Part of me could be willing to pay extra but part of me is happy with what I already have.  

I still think Microsoft rip us gamers off for Xbox Live Gold membership which is pretty damn poor at times. 

#49 Posted by BrownNote (59 posts) -

No real added value for me, certainly not for the rumoured $120 a year. I'm already curious what the € equivalent is going to be.

#50 Posted by Mmmslash (2166 posts) -

For $10 a month, Kevin Butler better come to my house and give me the best blowjob ever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.