PSN Still Down, Sony Not Sure If Your Personal Information Has Been Stolen

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

As Sony investigates the “external intrusion” linked to the service’s continued downtime, the fact that you can’t play games over PSN may be the least of your worries. At the moment, Sony is unable to determine if someone has collected your credit card number or other bits of identifying personal information, a company spokesperson told PC World.

On Sunday, Sony said it was rebuilding the PSN to “further strengthen our network infrastructure.” In an update published today on the official PS blog, Sony spokesman Patrick Seybold said he has no update on when the service will be offered again to users, but Sony is working to get PSN “online quickly.”

The PlayStation Store home page.
== TEASER ==PSN's complete outage started on Wednesday. The downtime has made it impossible to play online, download games, or use the media streaming Qriocity service. If it makes you any feel better, apparently game updates still work.

As a dude who just had his personal details yanked a month ago and then used against his will, it would be really nice if Sony could at least say, “Hey, you know, maybe these people do have your credit card number and address.” At least, I wouldn’t be so paranoid. That said, PC World was assured by Sony that it would "promptly" tell people if they indeed discover that personal information has been compromised.

We’ve contacted SCEA for further clarification and I'll update when or if I hear back.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

As Sony investigates the “external intrusion” linked to the service’s continued downtime, the fact that you can’t play games over PSN may be the least of your worries. At the moment, Sony is unable to determine if someone has collected your credit card number or other bits of identifying personal information, a company spokesperson told PC World.

On Sunday, Sony said it was rebuilding the PSN to “further strengthen our network infrastructure.” In an update published today on the official PS blog, Sony spokesman Patrick Seybold said he has no update on when the service will be offered again to users, but Sony is working to get PSN “online quickly.”

The PlayStation Store home page.
== TEASER ==PSN's complete outage started on Wednesday. The downtime has made it impossible to play online, download games, or use the media streaming Qriocity service. If it makes you any feel better, apparently game updates still work.

As a dude who just had his personal details yanked a month ago and then used against his will, it would be really nice if Sony could at least say, “Hey, you know, maybe these people do have your credit card number and address.” At least, I wouldn’t be so paranoid. That said, PC World was assured by Sony that it would "promptly" tell people if they indeed discover that personal information has been compromised.

We’ve contacted SCEA for further clarification and I'll update when or if I hear back.
#2 Posted by JacDG (2126 posts) -

Dandy.....

#3 Posted by amir90 (2156 posts) -

first, ohh why I do bother..

#4 Posted by RichardZk (13 posts) -

well that sucks

#5 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

"Oh, a story about PSN being down"

*click*
*404*
"How ironic..."
#6 Posted by AncientMecha (103 posts) -

But Anonymous isn't anti-consumer right? Right? PFFFFSH, right.

#7 Posted by tadale (6 posts) -

What a massive mess. Everything should be switched to friend codes.

#8 Posted by DulleNL (18 posts) -

For this one time I'm happy I don't have a creditcard.

#9 Posted by Jeffsekai (7033 posts) -
@AncientMecha said:
" But Anonymous isn't anti-consumer right? Right? PFFFFSH, right. "
They didn't do this one.
#10 Posted by TurboMan (7548 posts) -

great job of pissing off anonymous, Sony...  now we're all possibly in trouble.

#11 Posted by heatDrive88 (2339 posts) -

This is turning pretty bad in a pretty nervous lol kind of way.

#12 Posted by Metal_Mills (2997 posts) -

Wow, how could Sony have let such a massive fuck-up happen like this?

#13 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5256 posts) -

So that's cool. Hopefully not the case that people got their shit stolen though, that would really suck.

You know like that feeling when you know you lost your wallet at a mall somewhere.

#14 Posted by Xer0Signal (32 posts) -

where is the quote about credit card information?

the PC World article doesn't have a direct quote from anyone at Sony, just "someone said it", which is not good enough for me.

#15 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

Oh great.

I'm glad I've never purchased anything off the PSN store now!

Do we even know who the hell hacked the goddamn gibson or what?

#16 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

I just hope that this gets resolved quickly and that none of mine or anyone else's personal information gets stolen.

#17 Edited by Winsord (1230 posts) -

Having the personal info of a few million people at risk doesn't exactly sound like the most happy-go-lucky thing in the world. Sony just can't catch a break lately; really hoping that they didn't get people's personal info. Also, isn't the info encrypted with industry standard 128-bit SSL, or is this more so something to do with the non-randomized keys?

#18 Posted by Damodar (1393 posts) -

WELL THE JOKES ON ALL OF YOU, BECAUSE MY PS3 IS BROKEN ANYWAY! HAHAHAH!

wait... :(
#19 Posted by MachoFantastico (4701 posts) -

Poor Sony, very poor indeed. 

I'm sure they'll make up excuses but this will hurt Sony's image in a big way. From what I've read it sounds like Sony don't have any idea what as caused this, and that's the most worrying part of this saga. 

#20 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

Im still optimistic about the situation but i must admit theres a little side of me thats nervous of the outcome of this situation

damn you Sony
#21 Posted by ColinWright (741 posts) -
@TurboMan said:
" great job of pissing off anonymous, Sony...  now we're all possibly in trouble. "
They already said they didn't do it. 
#22 Posted by Butano (1738 posts) -

Eh, it's provided me a reason to go back and finish Final Fantasy XIII.

#23 Posted by Hairydutchman (1039 posts) -

Allright hackers, the fun is over. Stop screwing around.

#24 Posted by chogi (555 posts) -

I wanna play MK online so bad!

#25 Edited by 1p (760 posts) -

This is some bullshit. I need to play Portal 2 coop.

Anyways, my credit card is pre-paid and has no money on it. Joke's on you, fuckers!

#26 Posted by FoxMulder (1697 posts) -

....they better do something fast, this is TERRIBLE for them.  I'd consider going 360, but I like all of the PS3 exclusives WAYYYY better than the Xbox exclusives.

#27 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

I like how since GeoHotz, Sony has become the target for the hackers around the world lol

Of course, we don't know if this was done by hackers since Anonymous did say they didn't do it.

but they could be lying.... Blaaaah... I don't know.

#28 Posted by AnimaTronik (6 posts) -

Not good
#29 Posted by dcgc (878 posts) -
 “We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.”
They warned you Sony...
#30 Posted by Portis (1287 posts) -

Why did I have to use my credit card on PSN. God damnit.

What a absolute fucking mess, man.
#31 Posted by Soap (3592 posts) -

I'm not massively worried about my bank details being taken, I know everything I've spent money on myself and this would settled in minutes with my bank if it came to it. I'm more interested to find out how Sony will make up to me the days of my PSN+ membership I've missed. 

Will they do it Whiskey Media style and add on some more days? Or will I get a free download of something?
#32 Posted by Weeber (36 posts) -

Well that's some great news ... good work Sony.

#33 Posted by Sparklykiss (1966 posts) -
@TrueEnglishGent said:
" Poor Sony, very poor indeed. I'm sure they'll make up excuses but this will hurt Sony's image in a big way. From what I've read it sounds like Sony don't have any idea what as caused this, and that's the most worrying part of this saga.  "
Agree with you there. At the rate this is going, I feel like we'll never know who/what caused this.
#34 Posted by Jeffsekai (7033 posts) -
@wh4tshisface said:
" @TurboMan said:
" great job of pissing off anonymous, Sony...  now we're all possibly in trouble. "
They already said they didn't do it.  "
Indeed.
#35 Posted by onarum (2094 posts) -

good thing I removed my credit card information from my psn acc a while ago.

#36 Posted by Commisar123 (1793 posts) -

"This deal keeps getting worse and worse all the time."

#37 Posted by Garadon (90 posts) -

This is fantastic. I hope Sony gives us something to at least in some degree compensate for all this mess.

#38 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

wait what... this is more serious than i thought in this case, i have my fucking credit card info in there >_>

#39 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

Skynet damn it. But could this attack be not part of Anon but the Koreans who attacked GGPO around the same time PSN went down last week?

GGPO IS STILL DOWN TOO.
#40 Posted by Blair (2507 posts) -
@Portis said:
" Why did I have to use my credit card on PSN. God damnit.

What a absolute fucking mess, man.
"
Agreed, such a fucking mess.
#41 Posted by Th3_James (2578 posts) -

Fuck PSN

#42 Posted by abdo (1037 posts) -

Glad I only use PSN vouchers and never my own credit card.

#43 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2490 posts) -

Common sense would dictate if you're worried that your information has been compromised you immediately call the institution that issued your card, cancel it and have it reissued. At the very least, keep a vigilant eye on your card account to verify nothing hinky is going on. 

We haven't seen a horde of PSN users with charges to Russian bath houses on their cards yet, so hopefully this didn't happen.  Also, I would think even tho they're not 100%, Sony probably doesn't believe this happened at this point, or they would have come out publicly and made a statement, instead of letting some guy on PC Word paraphrase something he may or may not have heard.

This whole article on PC World screams "click me for more information that doesn't exist" at this point, but as with any site or service you give credit card information to, it's always better to be safe than sorry.  I didn't need PC World to tell me that.

#44 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

I hope everything is okay....

#45 Posted by GozerTC (457 posts) -

Well this is just FUBAR isn't it? 
#46 Posted by JacDG (2126 posts) -
@Rhaknar said:
" wait what... this is more serious than i thought in this case, i have my fucking credit card info in there >_> "
They are obligated to tell you if your credit card information is in danger (or so I've read) and since we haven't heard that yet, I think it's safe to assume they are safe.
#47 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" @wh4tshisface said:
" @TurboMan said:
They already said they didn't do it.  "
Indeed. "
Yeah, they would probably take credit for it if they did. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a splinter group though.

And also, I would bet money that Anon is more at fault than Sony (Funny how people defend apple for suing over a solid outline of a telephone on a green square, but when Sony actually protects it's customers and interests, they get a shit ton of grief) in this ordeal. Getting people up in arms over protecting the average non-hacker user= why anon will never mean anything beyond being a dick.
#48 Posted by RYU/BATMAN (21 posts) -

This stinks.

#49 Posted by PenguinDust (12523 posts) -

Great.  Now I've got to be on the look out for mysterious transactions from unknown e-shops.  I haven't had to do that since I quit drinking.  Thanks Sony. 

#50 Posted by BeautifulSpaceCowboy (603 posts) -

This gets better and better. I hope Sony is able to get this worked out soon for everyone's sake.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.