Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

Psn Store Overpricing

DWN2550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DWN2550

I was browsing the UK psn store today and seen that they were charging 50 pounds for Mass Effect 3 and the same price for Fifa Street when you can go onto amazon and get Mass Effect for 36 pounds and Fifa Street for the same price as well. Why is Sony even trying to charge these ridiculous prices for these games when you can go to the likes of amazon and play and get them at a quarter of the price.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By N7

I'm almost certain that it's not up to Sony to make prices for third party games, Charizard.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By breadfan

MS does the same thing on their marketplace. It's sorta crazy what they charge...50 Cent: Blood on the Sand was $60 last time I checked.

aznan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By aznan

This goes for Steam and Origin as well. I bought ME3 from Zavvi for 30 euro, while Origin want 50.

vivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By vivek

If they were competitive then I would buy a lot of my games directly from the PSN store.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#6  Edited By Kidavenger

@aznan said:

This goes for Steam and Origin as well. I bought ME3 from Zavvi for 30 euro, while Origin want 50.

Are you seriously coming in here and saying Steam is overpriced?

DWN2550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DWN2550

@N7 said:

I'm almost certain that it's not up to Sony to make prices for third party games, Charizard.

Sony have already bought the game and they are selling it. It is the point that they are selling at the full RRP price just to make more profit if what you said was true why is amazon not selling these games at the same prices

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By AlexW00d

This, sir, is what happens when you let publishers set the prices for the games and not the retailer.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shookems

@Kidavenger: I think he's saying everything is overpriced compared to steam.

Avatar image for mustachioeugene
    mustachioeugene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By mustachioeugene

@N7 said:

I wish everyone would end all their sentences with Pokemon(s). In this case it's warranted, but I love the idea of this sentence when taken out of context.

"Your bank loan has been approved, Squirtle."

"The tumour is benign, Vulpix"

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By devilzrule27

@DWN2550 said:

@N7 said:

Sony have already bought the game and they are selling it. It is the point that they are selling at the full RRP price just to make more profit if what you said was true why is amazon not selling these games at the same prices

Sony didn't buy digital inventory of the game. As others have stated, prices are set by the publisher not Sony when it comes to the online store.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Sooty

@Kidavenger said:

@aznan said:

Steam can be overpriced in some cases. Skyrim was at least 15% more than the retail version.

Tamaster92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Tamaster92

I'll tell you why, it's because te profit from idiots who pay that outweighs the loss of sales from more sensible buyers.

aznan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By aznan

@Kidavenger:

Yes. Apart from the crazy sales, I can always find boxed copies of new releases for 10-20 euros less than on Steam.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Kidavenger said:

@aznan said:

From what I've heard, Steam can be pretty expensive in some places (Australia, for one).

In North America, Steam is cheaper than a cheap bag of shit you find in a dollar store during a blowout sale.

soybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By soybob

It's because UK stores generally undercut the RRP by a fair margin. In the US, games are almost always sold at their RRP. Publishers never account for this.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By TechHits

@DWN2550 said:

@N7 said:

Your insight into how the world works is fascinating.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By HadesTimes

Well that's because Games on Demand services are overpriced. If you look at the XBOX Live Games on Demand thing you will notice games that are 4 years old at $40, Where you can buy them on Amazon for $20. That's just how thing has been working or not working since it started. Sometimes they have a sale and you can get something for a good deal. But most of the time, they are incredibly overpriced.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RE_Player1

Should we expect an influx of stupid threads now that Giant Bomb is a part of CBS and Gamespot?

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Masha2932

Things like this is why I don't want an all digital future. PSN/XBLA should really learn a lot from steam with regard to sales and regular price drops.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.