Registering a US PSN ID in the UK

#1 Posted by Lashe (1266 posts) -

Hey guys, has anyone had any experience of doing this and could inform a fellow duder about what steps to take to set one up? I'm unsure, for instance, if I would need to mess with DNS settings or set up a VPN.

Reasons being, I'm getting pretty fed up of being shafted time and time again by the EU PSN releases. The fact that so many PS2/PS1 downloadable games seem to be completely MIA in the EU store is beginning to push me over the edge.

Apologies if this is already on the site, but after doing a forum search nothing cropped up.

#2 Posted by andriv (257 posts) -

just look it up on youtube, it's pretty simple.

then get a us psn card online

#3 Posted by mosespippy (4466 posts) -

It's straight forward. All you actually need is a valid zip code and email address. The rest can be made up. You'll have to figure out some way to get american currency for the PSN account though. Back in the early days you could get a credit card that did currency conversions but Sony stopped supporting that card when they found out about it.

#4 Posted by Giefcookie (611 posts) -

I did this a week ago to get some of the PSP games on my Vita that are not available on the EU store.

Simply head to the US psn web page and create a new account. You just need to enter a viable address, I used the google hq address in California.

Best way to get US credit I found was to buy a code from Bestbuy. 50$ card for 50$ and you get the code in email within the day.

#5 Posted by SoyBob (161 posts) -

Does anyone know if the PS2 Classics are region locked? For example, if I get Persona 3 off the US marketplace, will it play on my UK PS3?

#6 Posted by Jaytow (707 posts) -

@Lashe said:

Hey guys, has anyone had any experience of doing this and could inform a fellow duder about what steps to take to set one up? I'm unsure, for instance, if I would need to mess with DNS settings or set up a VPN.

Reasons being, I'm getting pretty fed up of being shafted time and time again by the EU PSN releases. The fact that so many PS2/PS1 downloadable games seem to be completely MIA in the EU store is beginning to push me over the edge.

Apologies if this is already on the site, but after doing a forum search nothing cropped up.

Why put money into a company who fucks us over 24/7?

The price of sonys EU console releases are stupid, they fuck the EU store over constantly and really couldn't give a shit. I shouldn't have to create a US account, I refuse to do so.

#7 Posted by PropaneJoe (24 posts) -

Yeah, I did this to get Blitz, it was a straightforward process. I don't believe any of the digital content is "region locked" as such - everything you download will work. There are eBay/Amazon sellers who will sell you a prepaid card and email the code.

#8 Posted by Willin (1285 posts) -

The specific reason why Persona 3 FES is missing from EU (and Australian I might add) PSN is because Atlus published Persona 3 in ths States while the European release was done by Koei. Different publishers means completely different publishing rights.

It still sucks. :(

#9 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11411 posts) -

While you're at it, you might as well create a Japanese account as well. I have US, UK, and Japanese accounts. Every once in a while there's something really weird and dumb on the Japanese one that I download and think, "Yup, totally justifies creating this account."

#10 Posted by SoyBob (161 posts) -
@PropaneJoe

Yeah, I did this to get Blitz, it was a straightforward process. I don't believe any of the digital content is "region locked" as such - everything you download will work. There are eBay/Amazon sellers who will sell you a prepaid card and email the code.

The problem I can see arising is that persona is a ps2 game, which are still region locked on ps3.
#11 Posted by fisk0 (4504 posts) -

@Jaytow said:

@Lashe said:

Why put money into a company who fucks us over 24/7?

The price of sonys EU console releases are stupid, they fuck the EU store over constantly and really couldn't give a shit. I shouldn't have to create a US account, I refuse to do so.

I kinda agree. By creating a fake US account you're breaking the EULA and risk losing the games you've bought on that account if they ever get more strict and start reinforcing that stuff. They clearly don't want your money, so in the cases were the games aren't available on your area, it's about as legal to just pirate the games as purchasing them by impersonating an American citizen.

#12 Posted by hermes (1611 posts) -

Have you noticed than buying PSN Cards online is more and more difficult every day?

It started with amazon support being removed, then best buy and now gamestop...

You may want to check this one out since it may be the only way to buy content on a different store.

#13 Posted by abdo (1044 posts) -

@fisk0 said:

it's about as legal to just pirate the games as purchasing them by impersonating an American citizen.

"Let's take a relaxed attitude towards work, and watch the baseball match. The NY Mets are my favorite squadron!"

#14 Posted by two_socks (236 posts) -

Just create a new account, and make sure you have a valid zip code and maybe address (not hard to fudge). I have a JPN, HK and EU account on my PS3 (US here). Never bought anything off the respective stores, but it's nice to be able to get a demo or something, if it's not up anywhere else. I'd imagine buying a PS2 game off the US PSN on your EU PS3 would work fine, and similar to how game-sharing works already. As long as you have a US PSN card or whatever, you should be fine.

#15 Posted by EVO (3941 posts) -

I'm considering doing this for Dyad.

#16 Edited by caska (145 posts) -

Had an urge to replay the Metal Gear series the other day and bought the first one using my US PSN, not because I had to but because I've stupidly used it as my main account from the year the PS3 came out.... So yea bought that, the MGS HD collection, Journey and Mortal Kombat and so far nothing's happened to me.

You do realise that it's not really Sony's fault? They just don't want to piss off the people who sell the majority of their shit and if they can make a few extra bucks why the hell not. It's the way of business man. Pretty sure everything you buy is ridiculously overpriced so if there's anyone you should get angry at it would probably be best to get angry at your politicians for being so freaking old and to hop on the internet more often.

Edit: Oh wow someone found and old thread and now I'm one of those guys....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.