Rumoured "Premium" PSN at E3?

#1 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

eurogamer is running a story that Sony might announce a Premium service for PSN, which would be 50pounds a year, and include 1 free PSN game a month (from a selection of 2 or 4 games). Also rumoured is the inclusion of some sort of music streaming service. This would not affect the current free PSN in any way it seems. Is this something that would interest you if it happened?

original article 
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/premium-psn-reveal-for-e3

#2 Posted by ChickenPants (934 posts) -

Wouldn't interest me. As long as the normal service stays free I don't see how people can bitch about this although god knows they'll find away.

#3 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

I think if it's true then they're doing it in the right way. The article also notes that Cross-Game Chat wouldn't be restricted to PSN Premium. So in essence, they'd be keeping the PSN exactly the same for free (perhaps more casual users), while giving people like myself (who's on PSN at least two-three hours every day, seven days) the opportunity to get some enhanced functionality. That's the right way to handle it (rather than taking stuff away from free users).

The Spotify service sounds pretty cool, but the features I'd like to see would be improved user profiles. I love stats in games, and I love seeing what my friends are playing. A really bulked out trophy card would be so awesome with "Trophies-per-day", "Most played this week", stuff like that. What would also be nice is if free users could VIEW my enhanced trophy card, but their trophy card would remain basic because they haven't paid for the upgrade. That's definitely on my wishlist anyway.

True or false, I think this will be at E3 in some form.

#4 Posted by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

Seems kind of sketchy to me. But as long as it doesn't affect the free service they are providing right now I won't really care.
Let's just hope Sony doesn't realize that.

#5 Posted by Jasonofindy (258 posts) -

With those specific terms, "premium" PSN wouldn't interest me.  However, I would pay them the same $30 a year I pay Microsoft if they offered the communications options available on the 360 as part of the OS- (i.e.- cross game party, cross game invite, in game private party chat, etc.)  I never realized how much I now use these features. They are pointless when you play with strangers, but with the price drop more of my friends are picking up the PS3 as their 2nd or 3rd consoles and as we all tried to play some PS3 games together the difference in the services was more noticeable.   

#6 Posted by ElegantRuby (516 posts) -

No thanks.  I'll stick to PSN Vanilla.  

#7 Posted by Ghostiet (5284 posts) -
@get2sammyb said:
" The Spotify service sounds pretty cool, but the features I'd like to see would be improved user profiles. I love stats in games, and I love seeing what my friends are playing. A really bulked out trophy card would be so awesome with "Trophies-per-day", "Most played this week", stuff like that. What would also be nice is if free users could VIEW my enhanced trophy card, but their trophy card would remain basic because they haven't paid for the upgrade. "

I don't think they would show much faith in the Trophy system with a move like that. Really, Sony's already biting itself in the ass with locking Trophy information from sites like Giant Bomb or ps3trophies.

It's okay with me, benefits look natural in a service like that. The free PSN game every month would be a good idea, though the price would seem a bit steep.

#8 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -
@Ghostiet: Curious: why do you think improving the trophy card for Premium subscribers would show  a lack of faith?

They'll open up the API without doubt. It's one of the most requested features behind Cross Game Chat.
#9 Posted by Ghostiet (5284 posts) -

@get2sammyb: The API is my main gripe. This is something so obvious that I don't really understand why it's not there already and the system already has problems, like the not-so clear leveling up system. It really seems like Sony threw them in and then forgot, because Microsoft had achievements. And the stuff you've mentioned is something that could make caring for Trophies worth something more, paying up for basically fixing a major feature of the PSN would be a bit of a cheap shot, but I guess that's better than nothing.

And yeah, they better open up the API.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.