Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

So my PSN details were used to hack into my PayPal...

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By zero_

So, y'know this PSN hacking's been happening all month and all this information has been stolen. I thought I was actually safe because I never used a credit card on PSN, I always used PSN cards, so I actually forgot my email and password I used for the PSN account was actually the same for my PayPal and a few others, but even then, it was something I (stupidly) brushed off especially when there hadn't been any concrete evidence of a PSN-related hack.

So this morning, I woke up to find 4 emails from PayPal: 2 saying that I had recieved $30.00USD from some email phoenixfire465@gmail.com and another 2 saying that I had sent $30.00USD to some 'koram games company' (which after further investigation, is some Chinese online games company). 

I haven't technically lost money (or gained), but... there ya go. My mate says that I've probably just been a pawn in a money laundering trade and wasn't really a 'victim', the same applying for both my sender and reciever. Attempting to dispute the transaction on PayPal with the IDs will tell me that the IDs are invalid. I emailed some staff, and they were prompt with their reply and there is an on-going investigation onto it.

To the people who think that they're invincible like I did, might as well change your email and password for everything, better to be safe than sorry :)
    Shinjitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Shinjitsu

I honestly doubt this had anything to do with the PSN leak.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By PufferFiz

I think the trick is to correlate the two together, then you can bitch at sony about it.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Enigma777

I changed all of my passwords the day the leak was announced. 

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Kyle

You would be surprised how easy it is for people to do this stuff without the aid of any kind of big security leak. Very much doubt this had anything to do with PSN.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zero_

It's certainly probable that it is unlikely to be linked to the PSN hacking, but given all the evidence, I think it's more likely to be as a result of that than anything else, especially granted my PayPal and PSN passwords weren't "password123" either...

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Reuben

You may also have a keylogger on your computer or something similar.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By shirogane
    @Zero_ said:

It's certainly probable that it is unlikely to be linked to the PSN hacking, but given all the evidence, I think it's more likely to be as a result of that than anything else, especially granted my PayPal and PSN passwords weren't "password123" either...

Considering that people's accounts on WoW get hacked all the time without them having touched the accounts for months, you can't really say it was cause of PSN just because of that. It's pure conjecture really, there's no real evidence saying this is the reason, internet security isn't infallible, no matter what you do.

It is weird what they did though. Why would you hack into someone's account, then send money to it and use that money to pay for something...why wouldn't you use your own account?

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zero_
    @Shirogane said:

It is weird what they did though. Why would you hack into someone's account, then send money to it and use that money to pay for something...why wouldn't you use your own account?

My friend reckons it's part of money laundering - to spread out a large amount of money to multiple sources so that it becomes difficult to track the source. My PayPal actually always has $0.00 and I only have it pull money from my bank account - so that measure probably prevented them from outright stealing it, had I stored PayPal funds it would have been different.
    Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By BestUsernameEver

its obvious OP is lying. 

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By HadesTimes

Paypal gets hacked alot. Change your password often and make it REALLY long. I've heard about a lot of people getting the accounts hacked WAY before all this went down.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.