So Sony knew its Security was outdated months before the hacking

#1 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Forgot to put int " MAY HAVE KNOWN"  in the title. 


Source
Seems Sony has been using outdated software and knew about it months before the hacking. This could have made it easier for hackers to get in. If this is 100% true this could also bring up Sony neglecting to care for its systems. These issues where reported posted about in a Sony employee monitored forum months before the hacking. IF (if if if if if if if IF!!!!!!!) Sony knew all this before it happened it could spell very badly for them (If...IF!) 

If this is all ready posted just close this down. 


Again all this is a big "MAY" we do not know if Sony TRULY knew it and ignored it or something else happened. 

#2 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
"  Again all this is a big "MAY" we do not know if Sony TRULY knew it and ignored it or something else happened.  "
Then what use is this information other than to get people riled up?
#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
"  Again all this is a big "MAY" we do not know if Sony TRULY knew it and ignored it or something else happened.  "
Then what use is this information other than to get people riled up? "
Because if its true then Sony did not take the upmost steps to protest its networks. And from what information has been given they did not take said steps. I am not trying to rile people up just providing information. In truth Matty was the one who posted the link In his twitter. I just brought it here. 
#4 Posted by Marcsman (3113 posts) -

*Sigh*
#5 Posted by altairre (1123 posts) -

*Sigh²*

#6 Posted by RE_Player1 (7549 posts) -

*sigh*

#7 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
"  Again all this is a big "MAY" we do not know if Sony TRULY knew it and ignored it or something else happened.  "
Then what use is this information other than to get people riled up? "
Because if its true then Sony did not take the upmost steps to protest its networks. ... "
Well I think that's actually pretty obvious. If they did, this wouldn't have happened.
#8 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
"  Again all this is a big "MAY" we do not know if Sony TRULY knew it and ignored it or something else happened.  "
Then what use is this information other than to get people riled up? "
Because if its true then Sony did not take the upmost steps to protest its networks. ... "
Well I think that's actually pretty obvious. If they did, this wouldn't have happened. "
Im more interested in why they didnt. 
#9 Edited by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

Doesn't surprise me. It is very common for large corporations to be constantly behind on some aspect of their operation. The more management there is, the harder it is to keep things up-to-date. Not that that excuses it, if true.

#10 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
"  Again all this is a big "MAY" we do not know if Sony TRULY knew it and ignored it or something else happened.  "
Then what use is this information other than to get people riled up? "
Because if its true then Sony did not take the upmost steps to protest its networks. ... "
Well I think that's actually pretty obvious. If they did, this wouldn't have happened. "
Im more interested in why they didnt.  "
Me too. Where's the article on that?
#11 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
"  Again all this is a big "MAY" we do not know if Sony TRULY knew it and ignored it or something else happened.  "
Then what use is this information other than to get people riled up? "
Because if its true then Sony did not take the upmost steps to protest its networks. ... "
Well I think that's actually pretty obvious. If they did, this wouldn't have happened. "
Im more interested in why they didnt.  "
Me too. Where's the article on that? "
Wow just as I posted this someone on AIM told me PSN might be back up right now. 
#12 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
"  Again all this is a big "MAY" we do not know if Sony TRULY knew it and ignored it or something else happened.  "
Then what use is this information other than to get people riled up? "
Because if its true then Sony did not take the upmost steps to protest its networks. ... "
Well I think that's actually pretty obvious. If they did, this wouldn't have happened. "
Im more interested in why they didnt.  "
Me too. Where's the article on that? "
Wow just as I posted this someone on AIM told me PSN might be back up right now.  "
Go forth, and double check!  =P
#13 Posted by ProfessorEss (7278 posts) -
@Slaker117 said:
Not that that excuses it, if true. "
Guess it doesn't matter whether we excuse it or not.
I'm assuming if they were found to have been negligent it would mean even more, bigger problems for Sony?

(...my knowledge of how this shit works is really limited)
#14 Posted by Hailinel (23868 posts) -

Dear Sony,

If you want to make people feel secure in the notion that their data is not up for grabs, its best to have security practices that are superior to those implemented by Cobra Commander and Destro.

#15 Posted by Chris2KLee (2328 posts) -
@Slaker117 said:
" Doesn't surprise me. It is very common for large corporations to be constantly be behind on some aspect of their operation. The more management there is, the harder it is to keep things up-to-date. Not that that excuses it, if true. "
Yeah, on the one hand Sony is a giant corporation and it probably takes 100 memos and a 20 meetings just to get permission to buy new pens. That said, they are one of the biggest tech companies in the world, and this kind of behavior makes them look like 3rd place amateurs at best. I hate to bring it up again, but I think this just drives home Sony's poor understanding of internet strategy based on perceptions from their Japanese HQ. I'm sure there were guys in Europe and the US pulling their hair out at the security and software issues, and getting blank stares back from their Japanese bosses.
#16 Edited by ProfessorEss (7278 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

" Dear Sony,If you want to make people feel secure in the notion that their data is not up for grabs, its best to have security practices that are superior to those implemented by Cobra Commander and Destro. "

Frankly, Destro always struck me as the kind of guy who considered security a high-priority. I think the blame falls squarely on Cobra Commander and his reluctance to take Destro's advice.

It's just a rumour, but I hear that's one of the main reasons he went on to form the Iron Grenadiers.
#17 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
"  Again all this is a big "MAY" we do not know if Sony TRULY knew it and ignored it or something else happened.  "
Then what use is this information other than to get people riled up? "
Because if its true then Sony did not take the upmost steps to protest its networks. ... "
Well I think that's actually pretty obvious. If they did, this wouldn't have happened. "
Im more interested in why they didnt.  "
Me too. Where's the article on that? "
Wow just as I posted this someone on AIM told me PSN might be back up right now.  "
Go forth, and double check!  =P "
All I found was rumors of it back in Japan and it might be back the 6th. Who knows. 
#18 Posted by Hailinel (23868 posts) -
@ProfessorEss said:
" @Hailinel said:

" Dear Sony,If you want to make people feel secure in the notion that their data is not up for grabs, its best to have security practices that are superior to those implemented by Cobra Commander and Destro. "

Frankly, Destro always struck me as the kind of guy who considered security a high-priority. I think the blame falls squarely on Cobra Commander and his reluctance to take Destro's advice.It's just a rumour, but I hear that's one of the main reasons he went on to form the Iron Grenadiers. "
Fair enough.  Destro wouldn't be the first to have his actually good ideas vetoed by the idiot in charge.
#19 Posted by p_p_o_d (543 posts) -

Pretty sure this was debunked a week ago and that a old version of Apace wouldn't have made the system any more venerable when it came to protecting data.      this just seems like someone a bit late to that party.   



Lets not forget last week People where saying that everything was stored on Plain text because someone said so on a IRC but now we know CC cards where encrypted and passwords where hashed.    Wish people wouldnt spread the FUD and wait for the facts.    
#20 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

I'm not defending Sony, but I think they already had more servers under construction before this happened.

#21 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

Wouldn't be surprised with this after finding out that Sony is keeping credit card info from users from years ago.

#22 Edited by Delusibeta (68 posts) -
Extra source, anyone?

Apparently, Sony's CIO said that the exploit was "a known vulnerability" in the conference a few days ago. How that little tidbit missed most of the news sources is anybody's guess.

Ultimately, heads should roll, without question.
#23 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Delusibeta said:
" Extra source, anyone?Apparently, Sony's CIO said that the exploit was "a known vulnerability" in the conference a few days ago. How that little tidbit missed most of the news sources is anybody's guess.Ultimately, heads should roll, without question. "
Wow thats crazy....so they even admitted to it? 
#24 Posted by Hailinel (23868 posts) -
@fox01313 said:
" Wouldn't be surprised with this after finding out that Sony is keeping credit card info from users from years ago. "
They are.  The SOE database hack resulted into the exposure of a large number of credit cards, but the database that was hit was old and all but about 900 cards listed in it were expired.
#25 Posted by Zimbo (875 posts) -
@fox01313 said:

" Wouldn't be surprised with this after finding out that Sony is keeping credit card info from users from years ago. "

 Most company's for tax purposes are required to keep all transactions, including personal information, for up to 7 years, at which time the records can be destroyed.   Give or take.

Also, most companies security and databases are outdated. It's always the case. So yeah, Sony fucked up but its not that scandalous.
#26 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man:  Funny thing they recently announced their iPad clone "Playstation Tablet". 

Like if people is going to trust Sony's Cloud anymore. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.