Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

So That PSN Outage Happened Too

management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By management

So now that the site is back up we can start discussing the stuff that happened in the world of video games this past week, the biggest thing being the fact that PSN is down and has been so for several days.

I'm really bummed out about this because I was looking forward to playing some Street Fighter and redeem my Portal 2 code for the PC. All of this has to wait now just because PSN is down and I got nothing to do, since I want to play Portal 2 on the PC. 

All in all this has been a pretty good week to be bored and I just wanted to know what you guys think that Sony should do about PSN being out for so long. Personally I think they should do something extra for those who are paying for their service, and maybe even something for all the other users out there.
    supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By supermonkey122

Yea it sucks, I really want to play MK
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Sony should probably do a little something for the paid users. They probably won't, though. I don't think they should do anything for all of the other users because people can complain all they want about not having access to their free service, but they're not entitled to it.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By AlexW00d
    @Management: You really should have just bought it on PC and saved yourself $20-$25/£10-£15. And got to play it all weekend.
    thebobster10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thebobster10

Yeah. With PSN and Whiskey Media being down, I was a lot more bored than I usually am. At least we have this site back :)

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By xyzygy

It's ridiculous. You'd think that Sony would be able to just fix this by now, it's going on 3 days.

I've heard a theory that it's not even an external attack, that whole thing was made up to create a scapegoat to make Sony seem more "competent" and that the real reason it went down was problems with Steam support with Portal 2. The timing is there, after all.
    MackSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MackSterling

It feels like Conspiracy Theory Week as Whiskey Media has its outage, PSN is still down with no end in sight, and ustream completely wrecks their chat client with no sign of acknowledging the feedback all starting around the same time.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Marz

Sony is reporting they had some outside intrusion that forced them to take psn and qriocity offline.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BulletproofMonk
    @xyzygy said:
    " It's ridiculous. You'd think that Sony would be able to just fix this by now, it's going on 3 days.

I've heard a theory that it's not even an external attack, that whole thing was made up to create a scapegoat to make Sony seem more "competent" and that the real reason it went down was problems with Steam support with Portal 2. The timing is there, after all.
    "
    I don't see how Sony getting attacked by some hacker group would make them look competent.
    management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By management
    @AlexW00d said:
    " @Management: You really should have just bought it on PC and saved yourself $20-$25/£10-£15. And got to play it all weekend. "
    Yeah I know, but done is done and I don't want to return it now. I actually want to see the steam integration.
    Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Cameron

When XBL went down for a day or so a few years ago Microsoft gave everyone a free copy of Undertow. I'm hoping Sony does something similar. Something simple like that can win a lot of people over.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xyzygy
    @BulletproofMonk said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " It's ridiculous. You'd think that Sony would be able to just fix this by now, it's going on 3 days.

"
    I don't see how Sony getting attacked by some hacker group would make them look competent. "
    I didn't create this theory, but I think what it's trying to say is that there are two options Sony had if they DID fuck up internally:

1. Decide to fess up, acknowledging that they fucked up PSN and can't easily fix the mistakes they make to their own platform, or
    2. Say that they were attacked by hackers therefore putting Sony on the defensive and projecting the aura of them fighting back.

I think just saying "we fucked PSN up" makes it seem like they have no idea how to fix the problems they make themselves. I dunno, I didn't think of it and I do kind of agree with you to some point.
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By DrPockets000

Just got a ps3 and I can't use PSN :(

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By mrcraggle
    @Cameron:

The thing with that is, XBL is a paid service, PSN is not. PS+ members are also unaffected as it's a stuff service and optional.

Also, there is no theory. PSN was hacked and no one knows by who but it could be that people's CC info is out there which is why Sony decided to shut it down.

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By bassman2112

I'm of the opinion that hackers hacked into PSN and/or DDOS'd it and Sony has taken it down to rework the security protocols.

I mean... It's just a thought; but doesn't seem totally unreasonable to me, haha.

Either way, I'm in the Portal 2 boat as well... I got it on PS3 as my gf likes gamepads for fps (type) games, so we'd do that for co-op; but single-player on pc for me haha.

lutonhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By lutonhatter

If someone breaks into your systems and hoses them from the inside, apart from wondering, what it any DR plans they have in place, I can't really moan about PSN being off-line.

Just wish they were not so reticent. It  broke we know that just give us some updates, after all I'm sure their top men and having to keep their bosses up to date just pass the message on. And yeah sure that might me in Japanese, thats fine just shove it up somewhere you have 70 million users some of them will translate it. Just keep informed, it isn't that hard to do.

Compare what Sony have put out to what Amazon have put out in terms of information. The PSN status 'updates' have been:

Compared to all the detailed stuff at:

http://status.aws.amazon.com/ click the more button under Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud () for  what was effecting GB.

TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By TepidShark

Like Jeff said it is troubling if it is indeed an outside attack. There is sensitive info like credit cards in there. 

JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By JJGIANT

I went ahead and got P2 and MK on the same day. Rushed back home like a giddy school kid, low and behold PSN was up shit creak.

I'm not going to blame Sony at all for this. It obviously must be quite serious for such a substantial downtime and I can only imagine that somewhere out in the world there is a room full of engineers furiously trying to repair the damage with corporate breathing down their necks. Much love to those guys.

If the end result of this debacle is that PSN is made more hack proof then this downtime is acceptable, but if the problems are dealt with how long until they flare up again. Imagine if this happened the week COD comes out. The world would actively fold in on itself.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy
    @JJGIANT said:
    If the end result of this debacle is that PSN is made more hack proof then this downtime is acceptable, but if the problems are dealt with how long until they flare up again. Imagine if this happened the week COD comes out. The world would actively fold in on itself.

"
    They were supposed to increase security after Anonymous hacked their systems about a month ago.
    p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By p_p_o_d
    @TepidShark said:

" Like Jeff said it is troubling if it is indeed an outside attack. There is sensitive info like credit cards in there.  "

I think we would know by now if CC info was leaked.

If that happened Legally sony has to let credit card company's know as soon as a leak happened and those company's have to let card carriers know.

If a credit card info leak happened and sony hasn't contacted the credit card company's already then they will be in ALOT of legal shit over it.   we should know by Monday ether way

Some people are speculating is that its due to people on hacked ps3's somehow accessing the dev network and using a part of it to add funds to there accounts and sony wants to stop that.     

My guess is its something to do with hacked ps3's accessing developer networks.   

some user info could be collected and maybe if someone was used a ps3 to pull of a half life 2 style leak on developers I could see why they would pull the plug and patch the hole ASAP.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.