Sony Can't Bring PSN Back in Japan Until the Government Says So

• 51 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3475 posts) -

When Sony announced its "phased restoration" of PlayStation Network worldwide on Saturday afternoon, there was one region you'd have assumed would be taking top priority but wasn't: Japan. Sony assured users PSN would be reinstated worldwide, including Japan, by the end of the month--but still. Weird.

Now, we know why. A report from Japanese newspaper Nikkei says government regulators will not allow PSN to come back online there until it provides more details on its plans to keep consumers safe.

Regulators have reportedly met with Sony on two occasions--May 6, May 13--with the government regulators specifically seeking details on the new security measures in place and the steps the company intends to take in order to reestablish a relationship with consumers in sharing personal information.

PSN began coming back online in a number of regions on Saturday night, though the service has had its fair share of notably minor issues since, as millions of users begin resetting their passwords. Changing your password is one of the basic new requirements of PSN, following a firmware update to 3.61.

Sony has not yet responded to my request for comment on the status of PSN in Japan.

The PlayStation Store home page.
Staff Online
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3475 posts) -

When Sony announced its "phased restoration" of PlayStation Network worldwide on Saturday afternoon, there was one region you'd have assumed would be taking top priority but wasn't: Japan. Sony assured users PSN would be reinstated worldwide, including Japan, by the end of the month--but still. Weird.

Now, we know why. A report from Japanese newspaper Nikkei says government regulators will not allow PSN to come back online there until it provides more details on its plans to keep consumers safe.

Regulators have reportedly met with Sony on two occasions--May 6, May 13--with the government regulators specifically seeking details on the new security measures in place and the steps the company intends to take in order to reestablish a relationship with consumers in sharing personal information.

PSN began coming back online in a number of regions on Saturday night, though the service has had its fair share of notably minor issues since, as millions of users begin resetting their passwords. Changing your password is one of the basic new requirements of PSN, following a firmware update to 3.61.

Sony has not yet responded to my request for comment on the status of PSN in Japan.

The PlayStation Store home page.
Staff Online
#2 Posted by Genjai (300 posts) -

*sigh*

#3 Posted by White_Silhouette (470 posts) -

That is awesome. I really can't wait until the press conference at E3

#4 Posted by Marz (5642 posts) -

that kinda sucks,  keep forgetting how big the playstation market is over there.

#5 Posted by litrock (173 posts) -

Yeah, I noticed that when I went to update the password of my japanese account. Oh well. Glad I grabbed that El Shaddai demo back before everything imploded.

#6 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Wow, governments holding companies accountable for their customers' privacy.

Go Japan.

#7 Posted by YukoAsho (2001 posts) -

Sucks for Japanese PSN users.  Here's hoping the government gets out of the way sooner than later.

#8 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

...How old is that picture?...

#9 Posted by Commando (1878 posts) -

If Japan is doing it with its own company, the US should do it too

#10 Posted by ZmillA (2261 posts) -
@YukoAsho said:
Sucks for Japanese PSN users.  Here's hoping the government gets out of the way sooner than later.
how dare the government think of its citizens and demand more out of large corporations
#11 Posted by Xdsk (268 posts) -

Posted a blog about this on the Playstation forums an hour ago.

#12 Posted by YukoAsho (2001 posts) -
@ZmillA said:
@YukoAsho said:
how dare the government think of its citizens and demand more out of large corporations
I'm not sure this is anything more than political grandstanding.  It wouldn't be the first time a country harmed its own for political brownie points.
#13 Posted by Nightfang (376 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
Wow, governments holding companies accountable for their customers' privacy.Go Japan.
If only we did that more in the US.             
#14 Posted by ZmillA (2261 posts) -
@YukoAsho said:
@ZmillA said:
@YukoAsho said:
I'm not sure this is anything more than political grandstanding.  It wouldn't be the first time a country harmed its own for political brownie points.
I don't see this specific act as harming its people
#15 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

This is why sometimes the government is good, because when Kaz starts cracking wise about the outage we can always count on the suits (who don't get jokes or have a sense of humor) to make sure things are in order first.

#16 Posted by dvorak (1496 posts) -
@ZmillA: It's attempting to control a corporation in a free market economy with no legal grounds to do so, for one.
#17 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@Xdsk
Posted a blog about this on the Playstation forums an hour ago.
Damn, if it was only two hours earlier you could have won a cookie.
#18 Posted by MeatSim (10768 posts) -

The government doing it's job, surprising.

#19 Posted by Xdsk (268 posts) -

@Afroman269 Dammit i wanted a cookie, probably should have submitted it to news. You win some you lose some

#20 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -
Come on, turn on the PSN store already! I got a bunch of codes to redeem! 
#21 Posted by BalrogsBain (81 posts) -

i think this is probably a good idea, i guess that the government want everything to be secure  before they let people back on it im still hesitant to do anything until i know its more secure then it was before 

#22 Posted by Lelcar (597 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
Come on, turn on the PSN store already! I got a bunch of codes to redeem! 
Exactly what I'm thinking.
#23 Posted by Vexxan (4615 posts) -

Oh Japan...

#24 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

I hope whenever PSN comes back up in full, that someone can take a new screencap of it to use in news stories.

#25 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I've seen that PS Store image like 6 times on this site now.

#26 Posted by TigerDX (337 posts) -

Say what you will about how Japan takes its time over these things, but it's a whole lot better than implicitly trusting Sony have made things better because "they must have learnt their lesson."

Sounds to me like an important move for a government to step in and make damn sure its citizens' privacy and security is respected. I'd personally be happy to see more action like this.
#27 Posted by raidingkvatch (1149 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
Wow, governments holding companies accountable for their customers' privacy.Go Japan.
This.
#28 Posted by teekomeeko (618 posts) -

Someone with a capture card needs to take an image of the store and add it to the wiki.

#29 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

hence big-government sucks

#30 Posted by JammyJesus (770 posts) -

Yeah, this is very awesome. It's a shame that people can't play them darn vidya games, but the government involvement is very reassuring. 

#31 Posted by Beaudacious (926 posts) -

What if the Japanese government says no, and everyone in the Americas registers new credit cards and the like? Is not being able to play online worth identity theft? This seems more reassuring then the DOJ trying to track down hackers, you can't hunt down all the hackers its not feasible. The Japanese government seems to understand the root issue is not hackers its Sony. Honestly if you think this is big government messing with a free "person" like a corporation you have some issues to resolve.                 

#32 Posted by Axersia (1613 posts) -
@Ygg said:

I've seen that PS Store image like 6 times on this site now.

Dude, I was just about to comment on that as well. It's extremely annoying -- especially since that image is several years old now and does not reflect the PS Store's current design (it's similar, but not identical). Come on Patrick, you can do better than that. At the very least look for a pic of the old store with some different games. If I ever see Warhawk and Pain on the PS Store's front page again I think I'm gonna go into shock.
#33 Posted by Brackynews (4045 posts) -
@YukoAsho: When the two potential choices are risking harm to the supplier versus risking harm to the consumer (aka voters), I don't see grandstanding as such a pejorative. This is not the kind of poiticking that needs to be done behind closed doors. 
Many consumers will return to PSN the moment it's up regardless of Sony's claims of improvement. What are the other options for consumers, wait until a respected third party security firm publishes the results of an audit? Seems to me that's exactly the sort of thing the government is supposed to encourage and review in order to act on behalf of the people's interests.
#34 Posted by thebazel (62 posts) -

This..sucks. As a Japanese resident I can't access any of my other PSN accounts until the main PSN service comes back up here. Basically, I'm screwed. I won't get into Japanese politics here and bore all of you but stuff like this is very common, and embarassing, for Japanese government proceedings. 

#35 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2377 posts) -

man...

#36 Posted by KinjiroSSD (694 posts) -
@nightfang said:
@LordXavierBritish said:
I sure hope not. We have enough big government issues. It's between the company and their customers. If as a customer one is willing to hand over their personal information to a company, that's their prerogative. 
#37 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@KinjiroSSD said:
@nightfang said:
@LordXavierBritish said:
I sure hope not. We have enough big government issues. It's between the company and their customers. If as a customer one is willing to hand over their personal information to a company, that's their prerogative. 
Agreed.  Unless Sony is doing something illegal, why not leave it up to consumers to decide if the company is worth supporting again or not?
#38 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:
@KinjiroSSD said:
@nightfang said:
@LordXavierBritish said:
Agreed.  Unless Sony is doing something illegal, why not leave it up to consumers to decide if the company is worth supporting again or not?
Because companies lie.

Sony lies.
#39 Posted by doctortofu (17 posts) -
@thebazel Yeah, welcome to the bummed out Japan resident club.Tthe government here decided to protect us lowly gamer proles from the evil, evil corporation, so now we can expect PSN back sometime around the launch of PS5, IF everything goes smoothly and Sony provides all the necessary paperwork in time...
#40 Posted by KinjiroSSD (694 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
@EvilTwin said:
@KinjiroSSD said:
@nightfang said:
@LordXavierBritish said:
Because companies lie.Sony lies.
True but let me put it this way. When the government lies and gets caught, we just replace one career politician with another. When a corporate lies and gets caught, they can suffer massive losses in revenue. I pay taxes regardless of who is in office. I can spend my money with Microsoft if Sony isn't deserving.
#41 Posted by D_O_A (77 posts) -

Your credit card details are being transmitted the same way as they were before the breach.  Same method/port.  Only thing that has changed, is cfw users can no longer use the developers internal PSN network.   No idea what sony wasted nearly a month doing.  It certainly wasnt protecting your details.

Good on Japan for forcing Sony to prove they have fixed the issue.
#42 Posted by cooljammer00 (1544 posts) -

Wow, the govt holding them accountable?  Making them back up their talk?

Amazing.
#43 Posted by ShadowDoGG (134 posts) -

Yet the picture is of PS Store....

#44 Posted by LiquidS (971 posts) -

Good to see a Government holding a corporation of Sony's size accountable. 

#45 Posted by LiquidPrince (15843 posts) -

Crazy. Also the amount of stories this incident has spawned is crazy.

#46 Posted by RecSpec (3764 posts) -

While it is good that the government is making sure things are right, people would go insane anywhere else if the reason PSN was still down was "Government said not yet"

#47 Posted by Skooky (473 posts) -

This is the god damn worst because it affects me.

#48 Edited by Voxatron (352 posts) -

Don't forget the rest of the region is offline too since the servers are state side. But seriously, I don't think anyone should be condemning the Ministry outright for just simply looking out for the consumer for a change. However, I do find it a bit hypocritical being that its mostly only in hindsight after all this unfolded, also considering they probably should have just been more proactive in the first place with the monitoring of such matters and maybe this would of never happened to begin with. But especially after citing similar issues with other "firms" too, it just kind of sounds like they could have been doing a lot more but weren't. I guess really other then that their probably just making extra sure the company that's seemingly synonymous with Japan doesn't tarnish the national image anymore or shake anymore confidences with them all ready being in enough trouble as it is.

#49 Posted by jkuc316 (981 posts) -

Apparently, this also affect other asian PSN users, like me

#50 Posted by doctortofu (17 posts) -
@Panic_Switch: While I can see where you're coming from (I think), I still _do_ condemn them for not allowing me to take responsibility for my own actions. Everyone knows what happened, the leaked information cannot be unleaked now, so if I (or anyone else) still want to use the system in spite of that, if I want to trust that company with my fake name and address (prepaid PSN cards rule), I should be able to do that without the big brother protecting me from myself... If they want to penalize/sue Sony, go ahead, but I find it completely unacceptable that they're telling a private company what to do and even more unacceptable that this private company is actually listening to them...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.