Sony does not give a shit about its Russian PSN

Posted by dudeglove (8309 posts) -

Since acquiring a PS3 about six months ago, and getting a decent Internet connection for the first time in my life for my flat (I live in Moscow), I've managed to finally enter the world of online gaming (maybe that's not something to be proud of, but anyway)
 
I've found that there's increasingly little point in me even going online with my PS3. Why? Because it seems Sony, outside of Asia and the US, doesn't give a crap about its PSN network in Russia. Two blatant examples of this are:
 
1) Demos are few and far between, aside from the odd major title, and the same goes for DLC, which segues neatly into...
2) The credit card payment system has been fucked for at least the past week.
 
Yes it's a rant, but it's a rant that's at least based on something that could otherwise be easily sorted out (well, maybe Russia is unique - its ludicrous level of corruption could be a factor). When I come home shitfaced after a tough week at work and suddenly decide that I want to download Mega Man (a series of games I'm completely hopeless at) at two in the morning, I want to be able to fucking do that, not be greeted by an obnoxious error message in Russian that my card isn't functioning, and then because I'm drunk I get paranoid and rush out to the nearest cash machine to make sure I haven't been screwed over somehow.
 
Anyone else get majorly peeved about PSN, or have similar problems? Is Wiiware like this too, or Xbox Live Marketplace?

#1 Posted by dudeglove (8309 posts) -

Since acquiring a PS3 about six months ago, and getting a decent Internet connection for the first time in my life for my flat (I live in Moscow), I've managed to finally enter the world of online gaming (maybe that's not something to be proud of, but anyway)
 
I've found that there's increasingly little point in me even going online with my PS3. Why? Because it seems Sony, outside of Asia and the US, doesn't give a crap about its PSN network in Russia. Two blatant examples of this are:
 
1) Demos are few and far between, aside from the odd major title, and the same goes for DLC, which segues neatly into...
2) The credit card payment system has been fucked for at least the past week.
 
Yes it's a rant, but it's a rant that's at least based on something that could otherwise be easily sorted out (well, maybe Russia is unique - its ludicrous level of corruption could be a factor). When I come home shitfaced after a tough week at work and suddenly decide that I want to download Mega Man (a series of games I'm completely hopeless at) at two in the morning, I want to be able to fucking do that, not be greeted by an obnoxious error message in Russian that my card isn't functioning, and then because I'm drunk I get paranoid and rush out to the nearest cash machine to make sure I haven't been screwed over somehow.
 
Anyone else get majorly peeved about PSN, or have similar problems? Is Wiiware like this too, or Xbox Live Marketplace?

#2 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

I live in a relatively backward country (New Zealand), and I haven't experienced any problems except slow downloads (because New Zealand is a Third World country when it comes to the internet).

#3 Posted by Globox82 (189 posts) -
@dudeglove said:
" Since acquiring a PS3 about six months ago, and getting a decent Internet connection for the first time in my life for my flat (I live in Moscow), I've managed to finally enter the world of online gaming (maybe that's not something to be proud of, but anyway)  I've found that there's increasingly little point in me even going online with my PS3. Why? Because it seems Sony, outside of Asia and the US, doesn't give a crap about its PSN network in Russia. Two blatant examples of this are:  1) Demos are few and far between, aside from the odd major title, and the same goes for DLC, which segues neatly into... 2) The credit card payment system has been fucked for at least the past week.  Yes it's a rant, but it's a rant that's at least based on something that could otherwise be easily sorted out (well, maybe Russia is unique - its ludicrous level of corruption could be a factor). When I come home shitfaced after a tough week at work and suddenly decide that I want to download Mega Man (a series of games I'm completely hopeless at) at two in the morning, I want to be able to fucking do that, not be greeted by an obnoxious error message in Russian that my card isn't functioning, and then because I'm drunk I get paranoid and rush out to the nearest cash machine to make sure I haven't been screwed over somehow.  Anyone else get majorly peeved about PSN, or have similar problems? Is Wiiware like this too, or Xbox Live Marketplace? "
great account on USA/EU store to download demos and that stuff. I know i did it.
#4 Posted by Time_Lord (723 posts) -
@Scrumdidlyumptious: 
Yes NZ internet is painfull at least we get most of the DLC games and demos just none of the Videos. Dam region locking.
#5 Posted by Jazz (2322 posts) -
@Globox82 said:
" @dudeglove said:
" Since acquiring a PS3 about six months ago, and getting a decent Internet connection for the first time in my life for my flat (I live in Moscow), I've managed to finally enter the world of online gaming (maybe that's not something to be proud of, but anyway)  I've found that there's increasingly little point in me even going online with my PS3. Why? Because it seems Sony, outside of Asia and the US, doesn't give a crap about its PSN network in Russia. Two blatant examples of this are:  1) Demos are few and far between, aside from the odd major title, and the same goes for DLC, which segues neatly into... 2) The credit card payment system has been fucked for at least the past week.  Yes it's a rant, but it's a rant that's at least based on something that could otherwise be easily sorted out (well, maybe Russia is unique - its ludicrous level of corruption could be a factor). When I come home shitfaced after a tough week at work and suddenly decide that I want to download Mega Man (a series of games I'm completely hopeless at) at two in the morning, I want to be able to fucking do that, not be greeted by an obnoxious error message in Russian that my card isn't functioning, and then because I'm drunk I get paranoid and rush out to the nearest cash machine to make sure I haven't been screwed over somehow.  Anyone else get majorly peeved about PSN, or have similar problems? Is Wiiware like this too, or Xbox Live Marketplace? "
great account on USA/EU store to download demos and that stuff. I know i did it. "
I've been telling him that for months...well to 'get' an account, not 'great' an account..but you get the point. 
So stop whining and do it already Been-Jamin. 
Take you 5 mins. 
DO IT. 
and stop playing Borderlands.
#6 Posted by dudeglove (8309 posts) -
@Globox82:  Of this I'm aware, but because of the nature of my bank and all that crap, I'm pretty much bound to Russian-only.
 
The games industry here overall sucks balls. It's just not in their culture. They have no age-old companies like in the UK or the US, so they just don't care.
#7 Posted by Jazz (2322 posts) -

What about all of Dave's dodgy soviet bloc games? 
At least something is coming out of there...here in Spain, we're too lazy.

#8 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2866 posts) -

In Soviet Russia, PSN give shit about you!!! 
 
 
I'M SORRY! I had to!

#9 Posted by dudeglove (8309 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry:  Groooooooooooooooooooooooan
#10 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -

I can't complain about demos or the like but my US account drops connection for no damn reason all the time.
The 360, the wii, 3 laptops and a desktop all have no issues but the PS3 is a fickle bitch at times.

#11 Posted by Jazz (2322 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry:  Careful. Putin will come and Judo your arse.
#12 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
" In Soviet Russia, PSN give shit about you!!!   I'M SORRY! I had to! "
Fuck, beat me
#13 Posted by ThatFrood (3396 posts) -

I own a set of those matrosohkas you have in your avatar. 

#14 Posted by dudeglove (8309 posts) -
@Jazz said:
" What about all of Dave's dodgy soviet bloc games? At least something is coming out of there...here in Spain, we're too lazy. "
Metro 2033 is, ironically, a Ukrainian venture, not Russian, which is a shame, because it's actually set in Moscow, rather than Kiev.
#15 Posted by Jazz (2322 posts) -
@dudeglove:  
Sorry EX soviet blocs. 
I still live in the cold war.
#16 Posted by dudeglove (8309 posts) -
@ThatFrood: 
 
So that's where they went.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.