Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

Sony holding a press Conference tomorrow about the hack

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By p_p_o_d
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/30/us-sony-idUSTRE73R0Q320110430

according to reuters Kaz Hirai will be addressing the press tomorrow 2pm Tokyo time.

I expect updates on how much info was stolen,   a better ETA on when the network will be back on.   how safe info was before the hack and steps they are taking to improve security in the future.

so........ lets place bets.  Chances of Hirai announcing that he is standing down?

I think there is a VERY good chance.

Heads need to roll and Kaz has been the one spear heading sony's network vision.   it just seems logical that it be him.   

if he does well it sucks for him,  he was next in line to be sony CEO and he did a great job with the PS3 after Kutaragi drove it into the ground.    He has also been the one who got sony to actually listen to developers when designing new hardware.   If I am honest I think him standing down would really screw up everything he has done in the last few years with playstation.

He has been the one trying to get sony japan to think more globally and have more western input in there designs and without that I think we could have another ps3 style "WTF where they thinking" when it comes around to the ps4.  

Then again I think I said in another thread.  He can ether stand down and take the blame or he can man up take the heat and get sony past this rough patch.    if he can handle this situation it would look good when he is CEO that he knows how to manage a crisis.   

I guess it will come down to the size of the info taken and the level of security before the hack.  If credit card data was taken I think he will go. 
    p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By p_p_o_d

and speaking of press conferences E3 should be interesting.

I expect sony to address this by saying something like "we know we have to earn trust back so I hope the next 2 hours shows you why playstaton is still the leading brand in gaming" 

but I also wouldn't put it past microsoft execs to take some sucker punches while the world is watching.   This is the opening they have been waiting for.    
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By penguindust

Think he'll tell everyone what free game they're giving away or would that be out of place at this gathering?

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By canucks23
    @p_p_o_d said:
    " and speaking of press conferences E3 should be interesting.

I expect sony to address this by saying something like "we know we have to earn trust back so I hope the next 2 hours shows you why playstaton is still the leading brand in gaming" 

but I also wouldn't put it past microsoft execs to take some sucker punches while the world is watching.   This is the opening they have been waiting for.    
    "
    I doubt they'll say anything at all about it at e3. It'll probably be over by then and the last thing they'll want to do is remind everybody what happened.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RE_Player1

- Kaz won't step-down but this could severly impact his chance to succeed Howard Stringer.
    - They'll detail the problem a little more and try to convince people why PSN is a secure network.
    - Possibly get details on what they will give us, be it a game or something else. I don't think they will announce it here but there is a chance.

I can't wait until Microsoft's E3 conference," Xbox Live is the most secure online service in gaming."

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By p_p_o_d
    @canucks23 said:
    " @p_p_o_d said:

"
    I doubt they'll say anything at all about it at e3. It'll probably be over by then and the last thing they'll want to do is remind everybody what happened. "
    the average job gamer will have forgotten but the crowd full of jaded bitter lonely game journalists will be looking for blood.    

its better for sony to address it once at the start and just move on.   You wouldn't want some fuck from destructoid or somewhere trying to be cool running on stage with a "it only does identity theft" sign. 

Also I think its time for a new slogan....  
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel
    @PenguinDust said:
    " Think he'll tell everyone what free game they're giving away or would that be out of place at this gathering? "
    RIIIIIIIIDGE RACER!
    p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By p_p_o_d
    @RE_Player92 said:

" - Kaz won't step-down but this could severly impact his chance to succeed Howard Stringer. - They'll detail the problem a little more and try to convince people why PSN is a secure network. - Possibly get details on what they will give us, be it a game or something else. I don't think they will announce it here but there is a chance. I can't wait until Microsoft's E3 conference," Xbox Live is the most secure online service in gaming." "

Yeah I expect something like that.

But microsoft taking a shot at sony would REALLY be tempting fate.   

Nothing is 100% secure.    even MS where doing a giant security check the day after the sony news hit.  (remember all banned consoles got unbanned and then banned again)
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By TwoOneFive

i would definitely suggest he stand down. 

geohotz pointed it out perfectly. if they spent less time hiring lawyers and more time hiring better programers etc this wouldn't happen
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FritzDude

This will be interesting.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I think they need to have Kevin Butler on hand to calm the crowd down in case they get too angry. 

All joking aside, hopefully they will clear some things up at this. 
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aetheldod

One thing I dont get is why when any of bad stuff happens the current CEO of the project or whatever needs to step down? We are human so are they ,  and people can screw up some times (unless the decision costs human lives , then by all means they are guilty). I dont think we will get anything from Sony because it was an attack on them , not their screw up (as in they didnt cause the hack themselves .... unless 0_0!!!!!)

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @p_p_o_d said:

" @canucks23 said:

" @p_p_o_d said:

"
    I doubt they'll say anything at all about it at e3. It'll probably be over by then and the last thing they'll want to do is remind everybody what happened. "
    the average job gamer will have forgotten but the crowd full of jaded bitter lonely game journalists will be looking for blood.    
    its better for sony to address it once at the start and just move on.   You wouldn't want some fuck from destructoid or somewhere trying to be cool running on stage with a "it only does identity theft" sign. 

"
    Let's stop with your conflict, drama loving foresights. There will be a very technical outline of what happened, and maybe an ETA of when the service should be stable. No one will resign (what?) and game journalists will be so sick and tired of saying PSN by the time it's fixed or by E3, that they won't care either, they'll just care when it's over and fixed. 
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @RE_Player92 said:
    " Xbox Live is the most secure online service in gaming." "
    Haha, that's what I've been thinking too. Considering the years of "paid multiplayer" potshots I can see how it would be hard for MS to resist.

@p_p_o_d: I'm not convinced that MS boasting about security will anger the hacker community in the same way that Sony's full frontal attack did but you're right, cautious, careful wording would be prudent.

@MooseyMcMan: I know you're joking but bringing in the actor from your ads to comically pretend "he's on top of it" would be such a bad move.
    CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CaptainCody
    @TwoOneFive said:
    "i would definitely suggest he stand down. 

geohotz pointed it out perfectly. if they spent less time hiring lawyers and more time hiring better programers etc this wouldn't happen
    "

Geohotz is still the reason this all happened, and he's trying to be a tough guy about it now even though Sony almost piledrived him into the earth.
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Cincaid
    @Hailinel said:
    " @PenguinDust said:
    " Think he'll tell everyone what free game they're giving away or would that be out of place at this gathering? "
    RIIIIIIIIDGE RACER! "

Hahaha
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @RE_Player92 said:
    " - Kaz won't step-down but this could severly impact his chance to succeed Howard Stringer. - They'll detail the problem a little more and try to convince people why PSN is a secure network. - Possibly get details on what they will give us, be it a game or something else. I don't think they will announce it here but there is a chance. I can't wait until Microsoft's E3 conference," Xbox Live is the most secure online service in gaming." "
    I'd definitely expect some Microsoft gloating at E3, people have held the RRoD and XBL Gold member subscription against MS for a long time..  Now Sony have hit a problem that is a lot more damaging to the consumers than the RRoD ever could be, and paying a subscription for MS to host their own servers as opposed to Sony doing everything cheaply through third parties is something I expect them to bring up

E3 should be pretty exciting this year anyway.
    Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sarkhan
    @Hailinel said:
    "

@PenguinDust said:
    "

Think he'll tell everyone what free game they're giving away or would that be out of place at this gathering?

"
    RIIIIIIIIDGE RACER!

"

That brought a smile on my face. Cheers :)

@RE_Player92:

I think you'r spot on. Mr Hirai have the pressure on him now, so it will be interesting to see how this will play out.
    Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
    deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

There are no security flaws in our game-system, never.
     There are no security flaws in our game-system, never.
    p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By p_p_o_d
    @ProfessorEss: 

well its not about MS pissing off the hacker community.

its more of a "just in case" sort of thing.    If LIVE does have a breach even a small one the PR fallout will be a bit worse if MS go boasting about there security now.    

that joystiq story I just posted from a few weeks ago shows LIVE does have venerabilities and there are people out there trying to hack it for kicks.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Slaker117
    @p_p_o_d: I wouldn't call what that guy did hacking though. MS seems to have strong technical security, but there are weak points in any system do to human error. "Predator" uses "social engineering" to single out one person, gather as much personal information about them as he can through other channels, then calls Xbox support and convinces them he is the account holder in order to take control. Certainly dangerous to an individual, but his tactics don't pose the same type of large scale threat as this mess with PSN. I have a very hard time believing a large software company like Microsoft would be unprepared for real hacking attempts, and Sony's failure would likely keep them even more vigilant.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By KaosAngel

Harai is going to everything to make sure he's CEO in a year or two...isn't he.

EDIT:  He deserves it, in my opinion.  The day he becomes CEO is the day I start buying Sony stock.  That man worked his ass off for Sony.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By zero_

Will he do the presentation in LBP2?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Please let this be over with ASAP.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @Zero_ said:
    " Will he do the presentation in LBP2? "
    Is there any other way? 
    Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KaosAngel said:
    " Harai is going to everything to make sure he's CEO in a year or two...isn't he.EDIT:  He deserves it, in my opinion.  The day he becomes CEO is the day I start buying Sony stock.  That man worked his ass off for Sony. "
    i want him to be the CEO too.  i think he'll do a good job of bringing Sony back from all of this
    p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By p_p_o_d
    I expect this to be just a general overview of what happened and what they are doing to prevent it,  Maybe a ball pack number on the number of accounts they think where downloaded.  

I dont expect we will hear about any compensation for members or anything at this.   This seems like a briefing for the actual news journalists and to show how sony are doing there best to fix it and to improve there image.  

I wouldn't expect Kaz to resign unless it is discovered that Sonys network security was really REALLY negligent like they where diverting money away from security or something.   he is even less likely to resign at a press conference like this.   plus I think people trust Kaz.  they want him to be the next CEO.   it would probably hurt Sony's image and stock price more if he resigned.    The man is basically the future of the company and without him people wont know whats next for the company.   its been basically set in stone that he is taking over in 2013 (or 2012.... or 15... I dont know when stringer is leaving)

ok So tomorrow I expect we get....

a timeline of how Sony discovered the problem,  what they did and what they are now doing.
    a ball park number on the amount of accounts effect.   
    reiterate that CC data is probably safe.
    New state of the art security installation nearing completion and PSN should be up in a few days.
    Working with the FBI and others to find the hackers.

and maybe a Q&A 

Basically its Something to fix there image and maybe give the stock a boost.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony aren't exactly the humble types 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#29  Edited By natetodamax
    @Hailinel said:
    " @PenguinDust said:
    RIIIIIIIIDGE RACER! "
    I'm actually surprised how unfunny that has gotten over the years despite how ridiculous it was.
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By N7
    @BestUsernameEver said:
    " @p_p_o_d said:

" @canucks23 said:

" @p_p_o_d said:

"

"
    Let's stop with your conflict, drama loving foresights. There will be a very technical outline of what happened, and maybe an ETA of when the service should be stable. No one will resign (what?) and game journalists will be so sick and tired of saying PSN by the time it's fixed or by E3, that they won't care either, they'll just care when it's over and fixed.  "
    Yeah, they JUST PROMOTED HIM, why is he going to stand down? He's addressing the issue. He's talking about what happened, what went wrong, what they did to fix it and what they're doing to make sure it isn't going to happen again. A bunch of other things too.

No need to be dramatic.
    p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By p_p_o_d
    @BestUsernameEver said:
    " @p_p_o_d said:

" @canucks23 said:

" @p_p_o_d said:

"

"
    Let's stop with your conflict, drama loving foresights. There will be a very technical outline of what happened, and maybe an ETA of when the service should be stable. No one will resign (what?) and game journalists will be so sick and tired of saying PSN by the time it's fixed or by E3, that they won't care either, they'll just care when it's over and fixed.  "
    well now that I think about it I dont think Kaz will resign but I do think his chances at being CEO are riding on how he handles this situation.

as for game journalists being tired of the PSN story by e3??? give me a break.   For most it will be there first contact with sony since this breach and by then we will know alot more about it by then.   But you know every scumbag blogger will be trying to get a "got ya" line from sony execs.   It would be best to just address it head on at the start of there show before some random heckler in the crowd or getting asked about it in a interview.    

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By KaosAngel

2 hours to go!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It'll be very interesting to see what they have to say.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone know if there will be a stream of this? Or a live blog or something?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By N7
    @Soapy86:  From my understanding, he's just going to go out on a stage and talk about what's going on. I guess all we can do is search and see if any websites are going to be doing a live-blog or whatnot.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KaosAngel

20 minutes to go!

s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By s7evn

About time...until they announce they will not be bringing back PSN because of security and piracy issues.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By McGhee

I predict it will look something like this:

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Punk1984

According to Reuters;

Sony said it would resume some PlayStation Network services this week and offer some free content to attract users back after a huge security breach that allowed the theft of personal information belonging to 77 million accounts.

Sony also said that it would create the post of Chief Information Security Officer and put in place stronger data encryption measures to bolster its protection of user information.

So that must have been one speedy presser
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By KaosAngel

http://www.irwebcasting.com/live/110501/02/293c6325f4/index.html    

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By endless_void
    @KaosAngel said:
    " http://www.irwebcasting.com/live/110501/02/293c6325f4/index.html     "
    Yep stream is up guys.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha, Kaz is looking pretty glum. 

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By endless_void

They are going over pretty basic stuff that most of us already know. Hopefully something new will actually be announced.

EDIT: now they are goin into more detailed information.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.