Sony Responds to Criticisms of PlayStation Network's 'Welcome Back' Lineup

Posted by patrickklepek (3483 posts) -

After promising to earn back some goodwill with the community through a little thing called "free stuff," Sony yesterday detailed its "Welcome Back" plan for the return of PlayStation Network. There are some terrific games being made available at no charge, but if you already own all of them, that's a bummer.

The head of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe's communications division, Nick Caplin, actually responded to a fan who expressed their disappointment over this very issue on the PlayStation Blog.

"I’m really sorry tha [sic] there is nothing there that you want," explained Caplin. "We’ve tried really hard to put together a list of high quality BD [Blu-ray disc] games, rather than simply offering cheaper PSN titles. The average metacritic rating for these games is over 84%, so these are high quality games. Unfortunately with a user base of 77m people, it is really hard to offer something for everyone."

If you've already forgotten what games are in the "Welcome Back" package, I've got you covered.

== TEASER ==

PlayStation 3

PSP

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3483 posts) -

After promising to earn back some goodwill with the community through a little thing called "free stuff," Sony yesterday detailed its "Welcome Back" plan for the return of PlayStation Network. There are some terrific games being made available at no charge, but if you already own all of them, that's a bummer.

The head of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe's communications division, Nick Caplin, actually responded to a fan who expressed their disappointment over this very issue on the PlayStation Blog.

"I’m really sorry tha [sic] there is nothing there that you want," explained Caplin. "We’ve tried really hard to put together a list of high quality BD [Blu-ray disc] games, rather than simply offering cheaper PSN titles. The average metacritic rating for these games is over 84%, so these are high quality games. Unfortunately with a user base of 77m people, it is really hard to offer something for everyone."

If you've already forgotten what games are in the "Welcome Back" package, I've got you covered.

== TEASER ==

PlayStation 3

PSP

Staff
#2 Posted by Unluckyhat (12 posts) -

Thats rough

#3 Posted by Novyx (479 posts) -

Kinda half-assed response.

#4 Posted by Jawshua (253 posts) -

sigh

#5 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Wow...

You know, I had your back all this time Sony, but this is fucked up. Come on. The line-up is certainly good, and definitely games I want to get, but they are also extremely well performing games, except maybe Dead Nation. The fact that they just said "sorry" is total bullshit. People should be able to just get a PSN credit equivalent to whatever everyone else is getting or something. Or they should at least expand the list.

#6 Posted by Williamdeb (26 posts) -

To bad they are thrying

#7 Posted by RE_Player1 (7550 posts) -

It's all right. I only own Super Stardust HD so I'll be taking advantage of all the other games offered, my brother also has an account so I'll be getting 8. 

#8 Posted by Odc (29 posts) -
@Novyx said:
What else can he say though? He speaks the truth!
#9 Posted by MOAB (374 posts) -

sorry?

lol

#10 Posted by Mayu_Zane (606 posts) -

The moment metacritic was mentioned, I started laughing.

#11 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

They offered what they could. They weren't going to make everyone happy anyway. I don't even have a PSP, but I'll be happy with my inFamous and Little Big Planet.

#12 Edited by Y2Ken (1078 posts) -

They are good games, but the fact that they're quite old means that it would almost be better to offer downloadable games. You can get LBP for about £8-10 these days, and inFamous for not much more. Luckily I don't have Wipeout or Dead Nation, so I'll be grabbing those.

Edit: Just to say I'm certainly not complaining, this is more than I would have asked of them. Just found it strange that they said they wanted to offer full games rather than "cheaper PSN titles" and yet they picked games old enough that you can get them cheaper than the PSN titles anyway.

#13 Posted by HiImMikeCruz (208 posts) -

"I’m really sorry tha [sic] there is nothing there that you want," explained Caplin. 

I wanted these games so much I bought them when they came out.  
#14 Posted by MisterMouse (3540 posts) -

its a response that makes sense, but it would also be cool to have them look at the sales numbers for the products and suss out a product that had a high metacritic rating, but a lower overall gain in monetary value. To allow them to set up a user base for future installments.

#15 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

I'm of the opinion that if you actually own every one of the games they're offering, your disposable income is large enough that getting free shit shouldn't be an issue.

#16 Posted by FinalCut (94 posts) -
@Mystyr_E: Except that would be insane as they would lose billions, especially so if people bought only third party titles. 77 Million accounts x $20 PSN credit = 1.54 billion.
#17 Posted by crusader8463 (14414 posts) -

He just said sorry that our "we are sorry" package is meaningless to you. I get that they can't honestly know what games everyone owns, but there should be some option for those that already own every game you are giving to try and make up for this, or else the whole point of doing this is meaningless to those people.

#18 Posted by guypussy (29 posts) -
We’ve tried really hard to put together a list of high quality BD [Blu-ray disc] games, rather than simply offering cheaper PSN titles .

What's MSRP have to do with it? There are more PSN games I'd rather have than LBP or Infamous.
#19 Edited by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

As someone who only bought infamous im ready to play LBP and Stardust

#20 Posted by SolracFB (28 posts) -

No Sony, it is not hard to offer something for everyone. It is really easy in fact. Just put some money on our PSN wallet. Voilà, everyone's pleased.

#21 Posted by Daveyo520 (6653 posts) -

People are so ungrateful. 

#22 Posted by theveej (812 posts) -

oh  sony....... you  definitely need a better PR team lol

#23 Posted by Natalia (119 posts) -

I don't own any of them! So I think this is pretty cool.

#24 Posted by RE_Player1 (7550 posts) -
@Mystyr_E said:
They could've just said "here's some money in your Playstation wallet, buy whatever you want"
This is what most people were expecting? Really? I mean look at the games offered, they are all first party published games. If they gave us money in our wallet to spend on whatever they would lose more money than what the outage costed them. 
#25 Posted by Nogert (132 posts) -

I think the reason they have chosen great games is because they know everyone has them, so not many people will benefit from this give-away, yet from the outside it makes Sony look really good.

#26 Posted by ashbash (369 posts) -

The only game I do not have with the PS3 list offered, is Dead Nation.

#27 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

I don't see what the big deal is. The network is back (partially) and any time you paid for (PSN+) will be refunded and extended. I'm not a Sony apologist (in fact, I've been about as harsh as anyone on their pathetic security and even more pathetic handling of the situation), but I just don't see what we need extra little goodies for. I'd rather they keep their trinkets and invest any money they'd have spent on it in hiring new security professionals for the future.

That said, the game choices they had were - as described - very highly rated. Chances are that if you offer some of the most popular titles on your service to people, those people are already going to own them. You know, because they were so popular to begin with. It'd be like Microsoft offering Gears of War and Halo and everyone saying "but we already have those!". If they had listed a bunch of stuff that nobody had (and therefore was probably not terribly good), people would be pissed that they were just offloading crap on them.

I don't plan to download anything, because I already have everything except one item and I don't care about that one item enough to be bothered. I'd just be happy to see the fucking PSN fully back, so I can actually apply the redemption codes to the games I bought before the outage that I'm trying to play right now.

#28 Edited by Aarny91 (3912 posts) -
@Y2Ken: Would you rather spend £10 or get it for free? :P Thank god I didn't buy Wipeout or Dead Nation before now!
#29 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -
@guypussy: You have to look at the fact that they don't have a ton of first party PSN games.

They can't just give away third party games guys - they had to look at their catalog and pick games from there.
#30 Posted by Daniel_Newton (1166 posts) -

Wait, ModNation Racers was released on the PSP?

Time to dust my PSP off.
#31 Posted by Foggen (837 posts) -
@Odc said:
@Novyx said:
What else can he say though? He speaks the truth!
Actually, he's being disingenuous at best.  Super Stardust HD, Dead Nation, and Wipeout HD are "cheaper PSN titles".
#32 Posted by megalop81 (18 posts) -

awesome only own lbp

#33 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -
@Mayu_Zane said:
Yup
#34 Posted by Keeng (998 posts) -

It's a lineup of terrific games. I also own all of those except Killzone and Pursuit Force, but I'm not bitching about it. Maybe I'm being too reasonable, though. It's one thing to demand that you get free stuff because Sony got attacked. It's a lot worse to complain that this list of free stuff isn't good enough for you. 

#35 Posted by rawrsair (819 posts) -

I own all of these already, sigh.

#36 Posted by Legend (2652 posts) -

They should've offered a choice of any two Sony developed/published games available on PSN. Not a list of of games that most people already own..

#37 Posted by bricewgilbert (180 posts) -

Come on. Microsoft gave us Undertow for their two week downtime.

#38 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

It's free games, in reality they owe us nothing.

People need to be grateful for the free stuff.

#39 Posted by Boiglenoight (529 posts) -

If they're worried about losing money, just provide a credit of some amount that can be put toward games at least a year old.   Everybody wins.

#40 Posted by coloursheep (41 posts) -

considering most people thought that it would be psn only titles, and some even believed that they would only let you keep them while you had your 30 days of psn+, i cant believe that people are still complaining considering the line up has full games, and good ones at that, and you get two for ps3 and psp, what sony has offered is way above what most people expected and it is too bad if you have all those games but you could get them an give them to someone else that you know so they can get the whole set.  when the line up of FREE GAMES is this good complaining seems a tad bit ridiculous 

#41 Posted by LycanGav (24 posts) -

The thing that rankles most, at least for some of us, is the fact that most of these titles have been either heavily discounted or just plain given out for free to Playstation Plus subscribers recently so chances are that those core customers who plough cash into Sony are being cast aside in favour of drumming up new business.

#42 Posted by Silver-Streak (1338 posts) -

I'm not sure what people are expecting. If they had put up less popular games, people would complain, so they put up some of the really popular games, and people /still/ complain. 

I understand some of you feel angry about the security breach. All Sony really needed to do, in a show of good faith, is give you the free ID Theft protection they're offering, and attempt to prosecute those responsible for breaking the law and attacking their systems(and reimburse the time lost for PS+ members). They're doing that /and/ giving you up to 4 free games. 

I know the whole situation sucks, but now I think people are just complaining for the sake of complaining.
#43 Posted by FinalCut (94 posts) -
@SolracFB: I replied to someone previously about this but this idea of dropping funds in every PSN account is insane. If they even gave people just $20 PSN credit they'd lose over 1.5 billion dollars. Not to mention the fact that people buying third party content would Sony to pay up to said publisher instead of losing sales of titles they own.
#44 Posted by Jolt92 (1543 posts) -

What I can't believe is that they offer LBP and InFamous. Those games HAS to be some of the best selling and the fact those are being made available free is just... weird. And then there's the fact that IF2 is released soon. But, meh, I don't know, thought there was going to be more of an offer after this huge mess.

I don't own InFamous though, so I'll be happy with that.

#45 Posted by The_Grindilow (429 posts) -

Big corporations don't have time to individually asses every user just because they have spat their dummy out. Sony have put out a very generous set of games which I don't think many expected. If you have them all, tough shit, quit complaining, there's not enough time in the world to please anyone. Let's remember that it's a free service anyway, and you're probably still going to continue giving Sony money for new games.

#46 Posted by Foggen (837 posts) -
@benjaebe said:
They offered what they could. They weren't going to make everyone happy anyway. I don't even have a PSP, but I'll be happy with my inFamous and Little Big Planet.
If you don't own Infamous or LittleBigPlanet already then you're getting one hell of an awesome deal.  Those of us who have both, however...
#47 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2485 posts) -

A selection of 10 games to choose 2 from would have been better. 5 is fine, but yeah, you're going to have people who have them all.  I have 2 of them, so not a huge deal to me, but a smaller pool makes it more likely that you'll have people who already own everything you're offering.

Honestly, other than just throwing money in peoples' PSN wallets, which is crazy and is not going to happen, Sony's never going to satisfy everyone. It's unfortunate, but there you go. If you've ever spent 2 seconds following any one politician, you already know what that feels like.

#48 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -
@keef: They can't offer anyone free credit. It makes no fucking sense, especially since nearly every person has several PSN accounts and would thus get a ton of credit.
#49 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

Would have been nice to have the whole Sony catalog minus the newest ones on the list.

Because I literally have all those games. 
#50 Posted by matthewrex (11 posts) -

I was fine with what they offered, but it's when they just make shit up like this that I get really angry. They "tried really hard" to offer solid disc-based games? So they picked LBP1 and Infamous? So the other 3 are downloadable titles? That doesn't seem like they tried at all! "Let's offer the two titles that the majority of our 77M users probably own, and some other downloadable stuff too!"

It's just thinly veiled bullshit that really angers me. I was happy with nabbing SuperStardust and Wipeout and thought it was a good consolation prize, but when you spew garbage PR statements like that it really annoys me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.