Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

Sony "Super Smash Bros." type game is probably real.

• 96 results
    DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#51  Edited By DarthOrange

@Daiphyer said:

The only Sony character that interests me is Kevin Butler, and he's not a character.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By FluxWaveZ

In 10 minutes.

Kyotsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Kyotsu

So yeah it is real. Really sad to see how much it looks exactly like Smash Bros. I was kinda hoping to hear an original title from the "big announcement"

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#54  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Kyotsu said:

So yeah it is real. Really sad to see how much it looks exactly like Smash Bros. I was kinda hoping to hear an original title from the "big announcement"

Yeah it was funny to hear the developers talk about is as if it's some new idea.

kurtbro900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By kurtbro900

Woah, that was exactly Smash Brothers. I almost expect Sony to be sued by Nintendo.

I'm just mad Geoff Keighley's twitter managed to hype me up enough to stay awake for a poor man's smash brothers.

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#56  Edited By randiolo

@Kyotsu said:

So thats it?.. that was the big announcement? people knew about this game for weeks now..what a let down..

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By FluxWaveZ

A Sony Smash Bros. is exactly what I wanted from this and I'm glad that seems to be what it is.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By N7

As someone who was robbed the joy of playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl(Melee? Gamecube?) by a heartless and greedy childhood friend, this looks pretty cool. Maybe a LITTLE too similar from what I know of the SSB games, but it actually looks more like one of those 2-4 player fight levels from LBP/2.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By TentPole

I was hoping for something more along the lines of Power Stone.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

There are third party characters in the game. I wonder who those will be, I assume characters like Snake who gets associated with playstation.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By N7
    @ImmortalSaiyan: Batman, Ezio, Commander Shepard(I will bet my first born on this, also it's EA and they would do anything for love, and they would totally do that), maybe someone from a Final Fantasy game, and maybe even someone from Monster Hunter? OH! Chell! I bet it's Chell too. That "Michael" trailer had a bunch of these characters in them. Someone from Tekken and Street Fighter.

Also, I'm worried that there will be no Nathan Drake from Uncharted or Nissan GTR from Gran Turismo 5.
    WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By WalkerD

Just finished watching the show. The whole thing seems really shameless. Like, to an insane degree. Character moves were literally ripped directly from Smash Brothers. The Killzone character's Super was just Snake's Final Smash, Fat Princess' was Pit's, Sweettooth's was Fox's. It's amazing how little thought went into any of this.

I was actually thinking it looked really cool just because I enjoy Smash so much, until I realized that Sony doesn't have any characters I care about.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#65  Edited By Hailinel

You'd think that Sony could at least come up with a better title if they're going to ape Smash Bros. so much.

@LobsterVendetta: I honestly don't know why people get so bent out of shape over Brawl. There's a segment of the player base that wants Smash Bros. to be this hardcore competitive experience with tournament play and that believe the only way to play is on Final Destination with items turned off, but people like that miss the point entirely.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#67  Edited By GunstarRed

Parappa the Rapper! He also looks kinda flat. Kick, Punch it's all in the mind... sold!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Hailinel

@FluxWaveZ said:

A Sony Smash Bros. is exactly what I wanted from this and I'm glad that seems to be what it is.

Why would you want this? Why would anyone want this? This is just Sony continuing its long history of taking others' ideas and making their own products out of them. I'd be surprised if this game ends up rising above other Smash Bros. clones and rip-offs like TMNT Smash-Up. If Sony really wants to make an all-star game, they need to do something original to catch my interest instead of blatantly aping Smash Bros. It just makes them look sad and desperate.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By RE_Player1
    @Hailinel Brawl was bad for me for a number of reasons. The controls felt floaty and not nearly as tight as Melee, the online was garbage and while the cutscenes of the story mode were interesting the core of what you were doing throughout got boring quick. Now the people you described, fighting with no items on Final Destination, are also insane in my eyes but there is no denying that Melee had a competitive aspect with the combos and stage layouts it had. Melee, in my eyes, could be considered a fighting game while Brawl is much more of a party game which is fine for people who want that.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Why would you want this? Why would anyone want this? This is just Sony continuing its long history of taking others' ideas and making their own products out of them. I'd be surprised if this game ends up rising above other Smash Bros. clones and rip-offs like TMNT Smash-Up. If Sony really wants to make an all-star game, they need to do something original to catch my interest instead of blatantly aping Smash Bros. It just makes them look sad and desperate.

Because I love Smash Bros.; it's a ton of fun, and I even loved it back when I had no knowledge of Nintendo characters or their legacy from anyone except for Mario and Pokemon. I've always wanted exactly Smash Bros. but with Sony characters, and they've finally made it. This is what I want.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I want to know what the win conditions for a fight are. It did not look you sent dudes off the edge a la Smash Bros. The stages they showed were boxed in.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By SlightConfuse
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Hailinel

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Because I love Smash Bros.; it's a ton of fun, and I even loved it back when I had no knowledge of Nintendo characters or their legacy from anyone except for Mario and Pokemon. I've always wanted exactly Smash Bros. but with Sony characters, and they've finally made it. This is what I want.

An unoriginal, shameless rip-off is what you want? There isn't one thing about Sony's game that I find appealing. This is Sony at their absolute laziest and worst.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By RE_Player1
    @Hailinel

@FluxWaveZ said:

If there were the amount of Smash Bros clones that there are first and third person shooters I would be right there with you but there isn't. Now I can understand why people like yourself would be turned off by the rip off nature and not liking Sony's bench of characters and potential third party guests but for me this is also 100% of what I wanted from this announcement. This is a day 1 for me if that footage is indicative of the final product.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Hailinel said:

An unoriginal, shameless rip-off is what you want? There isn't one thing about Sony's game that I find appealing. This is Sony at their absolute laziest and worst.

Yes, an unoriginal, shameless rip-off is what I want and have always wanted. You might not find it appealing, but if the NeoGAF thread is any indication, many others do. So, opinions.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#76  Edited By Phatmac

Wow, can't believe that Sony is actually getting away with this. It looks exactly like Brawl.. I actively dislike this game already. I love Sony and nearly everything they do, but man this is a bummer.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#77  Edited By JJOR64

@Phatmac said:

Wow, can't believe that Sony is actually getting away with this. It looks exactly like Brawl.. I actively dislike this game already. I love Sony and nearly everything they do, but man this is a bummer.

Sony dose what Nintendid.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By DarthOrange
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By DarthOrange

@FluxWaveZ said:

@DarthOrange said:

Wow that quality is shit, its on gametrailers dude.

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/152?ch=1

It looks so shameless! And yet, who cares. Day one purchase for sure.

And at the time I posted that, it wasn't on Game Trailers... dude.

Never said I was mad, just saying the quality on your link was shit so i put up a better one.... bro.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Ugh

Avatar image for mexican_brownie
    Mexican_Brownie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Mexican_Brownie

Game looks like great fan service for fans of Playstation franchises, but goddamn the art style is horrible!! It looks really boring and dull and none of the characters mesh well stylistically. I'm really interested in who the 3rd party characters will be since most classic Playstation characters are not Sony's.

Hopefully it's good because more people need to experience the amazing fun that is Smash gameplay but I really doubt the guys at SuperBot can replicate the brilliance of Sakurai.

Also the name is soooo bad but I guess they need a name that tells people exactly what the game is.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By ExplodeMode

On the one hand, that looks like one of the most obvious rip-offs I've ever seen.  On the other,  I like Smash and if this game is good and has online I want it.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By devilzrule27

Looks awesome. I'm down.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By SlightConfuse

Buzz Quiz , Lara Croft and a colossus better be in the game

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#86  Edited By Phatmac

@JJOR64 said:

@Phatmac said:

Sony dose what Nintendid.

On this occasion sure. They still have a varied IP catalog to chose from so this'll be interesting at least. Still, would've wished that they didn't just flat out copy brawl.

TJ311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By TJ311

This looks A LOT like SBB, which is okay because those games were fun and adding PS characters to the mix should make for a fun game.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Betting the final boss is a character from a game that isn't announced yet

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#89  Edited By Yummylee

Yup, could not get more iterative. I'm excited all the same, though, since for as much of a rip-off of SSB that it is, it'll hopefully at least be a well made rip-off. And I can dig some more SSB just with Sony characters.

Looking forward to the character reveals; they're no doubt going to dig deep within the Sony library to make up the roster. Plus I especially appreciate how it looks like they're putting in the same amount of detail towards the characters/stages as a SSB, making good use of their history and themes.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By N7
    @SomeDeliCook said:

Betting the final boss is a character from a game that isn't announced yet

Giant Enemy Crab. It's going to be Giant Enemy Crab.
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By SlightConfuse

Also i wonder what 3rd party characters wil appear. i guess

Ezio

Cloud

Ryu or jin

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Hailinel

@SlightConfuse said:

Ezio

Cloud

Ryu or jin

I'm wagering that Sony would have to pay Square Enix an entire galactic civilization's economic worth to get Cloud in this game, especially since Final Fantasy already has its own crossover brawler (that happens to play nothing like Smash Bros.).

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Hailinel said:

@SlightConfuse said:

Ezio

Cloud

Ryu or jin

I'm wagering that Sony would have to pay Square Enix an entire galactic civilization's economic worth to get Cloud in this game, especially since Final Fantasy already has its own crossover brawler (that happens to play nothing like Smash Bros.).

You are probably right but I would like Cloud to be in the game. Would give me a character to play that I actually care about, unlike any character Sony has.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By SlightConfuse

@Hailinel: i don't think its a stretch to say that a final fantasy character will appear, 13-2 had assassin's creed and mass effect costumes,but if that the case then a FF character would have been in smash brothers already

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#95  Edited By Aegon
    @FluxWaveZ said:

Yeah, I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but regardless of how shameless it is, I enjoyed smash bros melee a whole lot so I'd enjoy a sony version as well. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Hailinel

@SlightConfuse said:

@Hailinel: i don't think its a stretch to say that a final fantasy character will appear, 13-2 had assassin's creed and mass effect costumes,but if that the case then a FF character would have been in smash brothers already

There's a difference between Square Enix getting downloadable costumes themed after other games from other companies and giving permission for one of their most popular characters to appear in a game that isn't theirs.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By chrissedoff

Before, I had always thought this kind of thing might be a fun idea, but watching the video, I've kinda realized that Sony's characters are mostly not memorable or fun enough to carry a crossover fighting game, especially when it's such a careful copy of Smash Bros. I predict this one will land on the trash heap with Playstation Move Heroes.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#98  Edited By Aegon

Final Boss: 

A Giant Crab
    A Giant Crab
    Unoriginal joke, but it had to be done nonetheless. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.