Sony working to solve PSN problem by rebuilding it?

#1 Posted by TepidShark (1058 posts) -

Or am it misunderstanding this post?

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@TepidShark said:
" Or am it misunderstanding this post? "
Many think they shut it down them selves because of a bug where you could get stuff for free. 
#3 Posted by yakov456 (1899 posts) -

From the sound of that I would say we have at least 2 or 3 more days of waiting. Jesus Christ. Still being too vague. I don't care that it takes them some time, clearly it has to be done, but give us a definitive reason for why this happened. Ugh x 20.

#4 Posted by Consaw (250 posts) -

I doubt they are completely re-building PSN since that would take an incredibly long time. They probably mean they are reworking some backend protocols to make them more secure and harder to attack. 

#5 Posted by RE_Player1 (7551 posts) -

I'm not mad about it being down but if they gave us an exact time on when they expect it to be on I'd feel better. 

#6 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

If this was XBL MS would give sold reasons due to XBL being a paid-for-service.  

PSN is free, so Sony isn't obligated to say anything.

#7 Posted by yakov456 (1899 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" If this was XBL MS would give sold reasons due to XBL being a paid-for-service.  PSN is free, so Sony isn't obligated to say anything. "
Sure they are obliged. There are plenty of PS plus users out there. Not to mention it's just good business.
#8 Posted by Hammerhead (31 posts) -
@KaosAngel: I pay for PSN, I'm sure lots of other Giant Bombers do too. None of these companies ever feel obligated to us. Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo.
#9 Posted by Hailinel (23978 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" If this was XBL MS would give sold reasons due to XBL being a paid-for-service.  PSN is free, so Sony isn't obligated to say anything. "
When a major component of your console's user experience, particularly one that has been in service for years, has suddenly become completely unusable for several days running, it's generally a good idea to give the users a clear idea of just what in the world is going on and provide regular, relevant updates to hopefully at least instill a sense of understanding in the users.

Because seriously, I'm actually pretty annoyed that I haven't been able to get online lately, and I'm not the only one.  When Whiskey Media went down, we received regular Twitter updates from the staff, and eventually a live stream page with a better explanation.  They also plan to post a more detailed explanation of the event to the Whiskey Media blog.

Sony, by contrast, is just waving their hands at us like a two-bit stage magician and praying we'll stop asking.
#10 Posted by Bones8677 (3214 posts) -

Hey, sometimes you gotta implode a building in order to build a new one.

#11 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Hailinel: 

15. WARRANTY DISCLAIMER AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
No warranty is given about the quality, functionality, availability or performance of Sony Online Services, or any content or service offered on or through Sony Online Services. All services and content are provided “AS IS” and “AS AVAILABLE” with all faults. SCEA does not warrant that the service and content will be uninterrupted, error-free or without delays. In addition to the limitations of liability in Sections 1, 2, 11 and 13 of this Agreement, SCEA expressly disclaims any implied warranty of merchantability, warranty of fitness for a particular purpose and warranty of non-infringement. SCEA assumes no liability for any inability to purchase, access, download or use any content, data or service.

It's from PSN's TOS.  They aren't obligated to say anything, and you confirmed it when you signed up for PSN.
#12 Posted by Hailinel (23978 posts) -
@KaosAngel:  I never said that they were obligated.  Only that it would be best for them if they were to respond in a timely manner.  Not leave people wondering in silence with apologists like you doing footwork for them.
#13 Posted by yakov456 (1899 posts) -
@KaosAngel: Like I said, good business practice. Even a hint would satisfy me. I feel like the Riddler is giving updates on the situation.
#14 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

The problem is that the people who know what is going are too busy fixing the problem to explain it to anyone...

#15 Posted by DrMcKittrick (231 posts) -

This is why they are #3 this gen.  Do we even want them to be involved with the next gen of gaming?

#16 Posted by fox01313 (5064 posts) -

Zero surprise, Sony always seems to do things a bit off so taking the sensible move tends to be Plan B or C with Sony over the plans they think up on fixing things.

#17 Posted by xyzygy (9899 posts) -
@DrMcKittrick said:
" This is why they are #3 this gen.  Do we even want them to be involved with the next gen of gaming? "
I'm honestly really curious what they have to offer next gen. I know that MS will try to one-up them in terms of hardware because this gen they were behind. And we know that MS will make LIVE a more functional platform because look at it's leap from Xbox to Xbox 360. I'm genuinely interested how Sony will handle the next gen. If Sony keeps PSN free I'm afraid that it's stability will just be the same as it is now.
#18 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" @DrMcKittrick said:
" This is why they are #3 this gen.  Do we even want them to be involved with the next gen of gaming? "
I'm honestly really curious what they have to offer next gen. I know that MS will try to one-up them in terms of hardware because this gen they were behind. And we know that MS will make LIVE a more functional platform because look at it's leap from Xbox to Xbox 360. I'm genuinely interested how Sony will handle the next gen. If Sony keeps PSN free I'm afraid that it's stability will just be the same as it is now. "
But then again thats all they have, that and some great first party games.   The games are what they will rely on, they've had two relative disappointments to learn that lesson from.  That and they will need to sort out their piracy issues
#19 Posted by Crono (2644 posts) -

Sony's PSN has been out for a few days, sure, but when people play the "This is why Sony sucks" card its bullshit, really. I mean how many 360s has the average person gone though? Personally, I have gone through 2 total meaning I am on my 3rd one now. Not only that but the PSN offers the same major things that I make use of on Xbox Live but its free (playing games online, watching Netflix online) and furthermore, the PSN has been around for nearly 5 years now. That is plenty of time for hackers to figure out the ins-and-outs of the the system and the network.

I will agree that Sony should probably have released more transparent statements a lot earlier and I would have liked more information in the updates they did release... but I really do feel that a lot of the people who are using this as leverage against Sony are nothing more than opportunists looking to decry what has been an otherwise very functional and stable platform.

#20 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -
@DrMcKittrick said:
You do. Competition spurs innovation. 
#21 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

I liked the part where people who knew nothing about building an online infrastructure complained about not having a set date for psn to be back up.

I also liked the part where people forgot the 2 weeks in 2007/2008 when live died - no such calling for microsoft to 'stay out of the next generation' back then was there? jesus...
#22 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@OmegaPirate said:
" I liked the part where people who knew nothing about building an online infrastructure complained about not having a set date for psn to be back up.
I also liked the part where people forgot the 2 weeks in 2007/2008 when live died - no such calling for microsoft to 'stay out of the next generation' back then was there? jesus...
"
Hating Sony is the cool thing to do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.